The Blogger Returns

by Meghann on February 17, 2010

Sorry for going MIA today!

It ended up being a very busy day and I ended up running out of time to try and hunt down a SD card reader. It figures the one day I leave it at home, is the one day I bring my lunch with no plans of heading home during the day. This weekend I will need to pick up a new SD card reader that will designated for office use only. πŸ™‚

My training schedule called for an easy 2-4 mile run this morning. Since it was too cold out for this Florida girl (30 degree temps = brrrrr) I completed my 3 miles on the treadmill while catching up on some highlights from last night’s Olympics. (Poor Lindsey Jacobellis! I was really rooting for her too)

A chilly morning called for a HOT breakfast.

Enter Bulgar Wheat

In my pot went

• 1/3 cup Bulgar Wheat
  • 1/3 cup Water
  • ΒΌ Peach
  • Pinch Salt
  • 1 teaspoon Brown Sugar

Topped with

• Granola
  • Cacao Nibs
  • ΒΌ Peach
  • Almond Butter

Splendid. πŸ™‚

My morning snack was a nice sweet treat. Oh Sin Dawg, how I <3 you!

Lunch was enjoyed a little on the later side sue to a 2 hour 11:00am meeting. I give one of my co-workers major props for declaring at 12:45 that she was starving and if there was any way we could finish the meeting later in the day. God bless her! My stomach was growling as well and I headed right to the kitchen where thankfully my packed lunch was waiting to be consumed.

Lululemon bags make very functional lunch bags, wouldn’t you agree?

I brought my lunch in parts and put it together in the office kitchen.

Original Southwest Veggie Burger review found here

Thank god for office toaster ovens. πŸ™‚

I had a veggie tofu burger on a slice of toast with tomato, spinach, and ketchup.

Left over rutabaga fries with extra ketchup!

All together an easy meal that took a little effort to put together, but was well worth every bite. πŸ™‚

A new item caught my eye in the yogurt case on Sunday.

Dannon Greek Yogurt? Sure, I’ll give it a try!

With some granola for extra crunch.

The Dannon greek yogurt wasn’t bad at all. It was thick, creamy, and everything good greek yogurt should be. I was surprisingly impressed. πŸ™‚ If anything, the blueberry fruit on the bottom was a tad sweet, but nothing my sweet tooth couldn’t handle.

As soon as I was done with my snack I was already planning my dinner. Does anyone else do that?

I knew I had tabouli waiting for me in the fridge, but sadly there was no hummus. πŸ™ What does one do with tabouli if she has no hummus? She roasts chickpeas!

I coated the chickpeas with olive oil, vinegar, dill, oregano, garlic salt, and pepper then roasted them with mushrooms and onions at 375 for 30 minutes.

The chickpeas came out great! My favorite bites included the roasted mushrooms.

Can’t forget the tabouli

With pita wedges in place of utensils

Brittany had sent me a lovely package for my birthday while I was away. Inside I was very excited to find some homemade macaroons straight from her kitchen.

I had two macaroons and a Godiva chocolate for dessert.

The macaroons were fabulous. They were very moist with just the right amount of sweetness. The perfect cookie. I asked Brittany for the recipe and she said it was from the Raw Food/ Real World book.

Talk about a marathon post! Again, so sorry about that. I’ll do better tomorrow. πŸ™‚

Have a great night everyone!

1 megan February 17, 2010 at 9:45 pm

I just saw that yogurt for the first time tonight too! I bought the plain version, so hopefully I like it as much as you did. Affordable Greek yogurt is a wonderful thing

2 theprocessofhealing February 17, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Your breakfast is really interesting! Sounds good though.
That yogurt is pretty good! I’m a big Greek Yogurt fan and I’ve tried them all (that I can find) and it’s good. And cheaper than most, which is ALWAYS a good thing πŸ™‚
And girl, I totally plan what I’m having for dinner before I even eat breakfast..ha.. it’s the little things in life.

3 poiseinparma February 17, 2010 at 9:48 pm

I use my Lululemon bag as a lunch bag too! They ARE perfect!

4 Erin @ Cooking and the City February 17, 2010 at 9:54 pm

I use my Lululemon bag as a lunch bag also! Mine is red with the same quotes all over and I actually caught someone staring at it on the bus on my way to work one morning…at first I was alarmed because I had no idea what they were doing, but then I realized they were just reading the bag. πŸ™‚

5 Ty February 17, 2010 at 10:02 pm

WOW! I am impressed and also feeling guilty…I train very hard, but diet is the weakest part of my regimen. Thanks for sharing.

6 eaternotarunner February 17, 2010 at 10:05 pm

Poor Lindsey Jacobellis! I was sad for her too πŸ™

7 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) February 17, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Your makin’ me super jelly with that heart bowl!! I gotta try that Dannon!

8 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday February 17, 2010 at 10:15 pm

I want to try bulgur for breakfast. how long to you have to cook it for? is it quick?

9 Meghann February 18, 2010 at 6:42 am

I cooked it for 15 minutes

10 bec February 17, 2010 at 10:18 pm

I hate super long meetings when you dont get a chance to eat! Your dinner looks fab πŸ™‚

11 sunnytropic February 17, 2010 at 10:19 pm

Too funny; I also use that size Lululemon bag for my lunch bag!

12 catms916 February 17, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Yuuum to the roasted chickpeas! Do you use a specific recipe or spices?

13 NYCRunnerGirl February 17, 2010 at 10:27 pm

That dannon greek yogurt looks pretty good. How does it compare in price to chobani or fage?

14 Meghann February 18, 2010 at 6:44 am

It was just a tad cheaper, but nothing monumental

15 Lisa February 17, 2010 at 10:33 pm

Glad to see that I’m not alone! I use my Lululemon bag for lunch every day and I also had Dannon greek yogurt with granola today – great minds think alike!

16 Erin February 17, 2010 at 10:35 pm

Oh wow, I can’t wait to try that Dannon greek yogurt. Was it cheaper than other brands?

17 emily February 17, 2010 at 10:38 pm

Your chick peas look delish! Those are on my ‘to make’ list, but the addition of mushrooms sounds great.

18 Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 17, 2010 at 10:40 pm

What great eats! Like Emily ^^^ those chickpeas are also on my ‘ to make list’

19 Natalie Rojano February 17, 2010 at 10:43 pm

Random fact, my best friend dated Lindsey Jacobellis’s cousin πŸ˜€

20 Kristen February 17, 2010 at 10:43 pm

Dannon Greek yogurt is awesome, I think it’s just a little creamy than the other brands, which is a good thing.

BTW, you have the prettiest plates, love the leaf motif!

21 Heather February 17, 2010 at 10:43 pm

my work day ended up being super crazy too! i love the lunch idea though…YUM!

22 ashleigh February 17, 2010 at 10:43 pm

Dill is becoming my new favorite spice! You are so creative with your meals. I have been vegetarian for 12 years and you make WAY better veggie meals than me as a non veg head!

23 Leena February 17, 2010 at 10:44 pm

it seems like a lot of the the big name yogurt companies are coming out with greek yogurt now – i think i’ve also heard yoplait makes it? i think it’s really great that they’re doing that! i love greek yogurt! πŸ™‚

24 meyergirl February 17, 2010 at 10:47 pm

I recently found the Yoplait Greek yogurt, but they only had it in flavored. I found it too sweet. I’ve turned into a plain yogurt kind’ve girl, unbelievably! Also, another blogger (can’t remember who) pointed out that the Yoplait was high in carbs.

25 Morgan February 17, 2010 at 10:55 pm

I love Lulu bags for lunch and everything else!
Dinner tonight looked perfect πŸ™‚

26 Run Sarah February 17, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Love those Lululemon totes, so useful! I like the idea of roasting mushrooms and onions with chickpeas for extra flavour.

27 Jamie (Food in Real Life) February 17, 2010 at 11:01 pm

That heart bowl is so cute! And I love roasted chickpeas! I make them often with roasted eggplant. I use cumin and a bit of cayenne to spice em up!

28 Brittany February 17, 2010 at 11:05 pm

I love bulgur, but haven’t tried it for b-fast yet! Gotta get on that one.

Glad you enjoyed the macaroons!!

29 andrea. February 17, 2010 at 11:06 pm

I also use a lulu bag as a lunch bag! Totally agree that it’s perfect! πŸ™‚

30 Lacey February 17, 2010 at 11:13 pm

Yay Dannon Greek yogurt! I think this will get more people to try Greek Yogurt…and probably end up preferring it πŸ™‚

31 Emilyeatsclean February 17, 2010 at 11:19 pm

I’ve never had bulgar wheat….I might have to give that a try sometime soon. The chickpea concoction sounds delicious!

-emily http://www.emilyeatsclean.wordpress.com

32 tiffnie February 17, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Love the bag and the heart shaped bowl!!! Is the Dannon sweeter than Chobani? I’m a Fage girl myself and find Chobani too sweet. And I know, poor Lindsey, right? I can’t imagine what it must feel like to be an Olympian…you train years just for one (or so) event. It’s incredible.

33 Megan February 17, 2010 at 11:28 pm

I just wanted to let you know that all your breakfasts always look SO yummy. I could eat breakfast food for every meal of the day, so no matter what time I see your photos I drool…. : )

34 Gabriela (froyolover) February 17, 2010 at 11:36 pm

Such yummy eats!
Specially your lunch – that tofu burguer looked awesome!
πŸ˜€
Oh, and welcome back πŸ™‚
Brazilian XOXOΒ΄s,
Gabriela

35 kt February 17, 2010 at 11:43 pm

I love those Lululemon bags… I need to find a store! And I need to buy some La Croix–I bought it for the first time a couple months ago and didn’t worry about my family taking it as they’re generally put off by my “health stuff”… but then someone tried one and they all somehow disappeared.. Haha I love showing people better alternatives for food/drink. Though not so much that I don’t get any πŸ˜‰

36 simplyshaka February 18, 2010 at 12:06 am

Your lunchbag makes me happy πŸ™‚ I do the same thing with bringing in a ton of things to make one little lunch like when I make tacos or a naked burrito. Everyone ends up gathering around me in the chicken like I am Rachael Ray or something (its the closest thing to 15 minutes I am going to get!)

Thanks for the review on the dannon greek yogurt, I heard the Yoplait was pretty bad so wasn’t sure about this one.

37 Colleen February 18, 2010 at 12:13 am

I too use my lululemon bag to take my lunch everyday! I love the quotes on the bags, because even though I’ve read them a million times, they’re still fun to read when I’m eating my lunch and remind me mid-day, when things sometimes get off track, of the important things in life and why I should continue eating healthy the rest of the day πŸ™‚

38 Melissa February 18, 2010 at 12:30 am

it was fun to read a whole day in one! wow sin dawg look good

39 destiny February 18, 2010 at 12:35 am

Hi!

I am an addicted blog lurker and today i couldnt help but post and ask about that bag!! i looked on the website and couldnt find one for sale, is that a bag that is given to you when you checkout?! If it is, that makes me ultra sad, i dont have a lulemon near me and right now my financial position isnt fantastic enough to be able to afford a purchase, (although i LOVE their stuff) but i would love that bag! please let me know the info on how i could get my hands on it!! πŸ™‚

oh and can i say, I LOVE your blog, (more than lulemon by a long stretch πŸ™‚ so inspiring, motivating, its fantastic!! keep going at it! Reading it is one of my favorite parts of the day!!

40 Meghann February 18, 2010 at 6:47 am

Yes, its the bag they give you when you check out. I know I’ve seen them for sale on e-bay surprisingly enough.

41 Jamie February 18, 2010 at 1:21 am

You make eating at work look so simple! Why can I never figure out creative meals for on the go? Do you know what else make perfect lunch-sized bags? The Victoria Secret ones because they have a wider bottom to fit tupperwares (wow, I can’t believe I think about these things)

42 foodfitnessandfreya February 18, 2010 at 2:56 am

Hha I’m thinking about dinner as soon as breakfast is finished, let alone lunch or afternoon snack!!
Blughar wheat for breakfast, what a good idea! I love the texture of blughar, it’s one of my favourite grains; up there with durum wheat πŸ˜€
Have a good evening!

43 Angela February 18, 2010 at 8:46 am

I am always thinking of my next meal lol! I’m glad I’m not the only one who does that! Those macaroons look amazing!

44 Can You Stay for Dinner February 18, 2010 at 9:26 am

Yummy meals! I think I need to make a falafel pita with hummus and tabbouleh soon! You’ve inspired me!

45 Kelly February 18, 2010 at 9:34 am

I’m always thinking about my next meal as soon as I finish the one I’m currently eating. I wish my work kitchen had a toaster like that, we only have the kind with slots for bread. So sad.

46 runningwithsass February 18, 2010 at 9:44 am

interesting! must try the dannon. I heard the yoplait was gross though so won’t be trying that!

47 Martha February 18, 2010 at 11:54 am

Meghann, this may seem like an odd question, but I’m a new puppy “mom” and I was curious about the days that you stay at work through lunch…what do you do about Maddie? Is she fine in her crate for that long?

48 Meghann February 18, 2010 at 11:57 am

Yes, she is fine in the crate that long. I know people who leave their dogs in crates for long then that. I simply choose to go home and let her out at lunch everyday because I feel sorry for her. I know I wouldn’t want to stay locked up in a crate all day. There are days when I have to keep her in there, but I try to make those few and far between

49 Caroline February 18, 2010 at 2:06 pm

What kind of ketchup do you use? Do you worry about hfcs in it?

50 Meghann February 18, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I use Heinz Reduced Sugar that has no HFCS.

51 Cheryl February 19, 2010 at 10:49 am

Do you use canned chickpeas or dry for your recipe? It looks great!

52 kristilyn February 20, 2010 at 12:24 am

I tried making a quinoa breakfast once and I really didn’t like it – it just wasn’t oats. πŸ™

I love your roasted chickpeas! They look delicious – with a warm pita, that would be heaven!

My husband had a muffin before dinner … I try not to snack, and if I do it’s usually cherries or grapes out of the fridge. I hate ruining my appetite, especially when I’m making something I’m looking forward to!

K