Coconut Shrimp

by Meghann on February 16, 2010

My snack this afternoon just goes to prove that almond butter really does go on everything.

Ms. Dried Mango please meet Mr. Almond Butter

A match made in heaven. :)

I found this left over jar of Barney Butter from the Healthy Living Summit that was hiding in my closet.

I think I found the perfect replacement for my secret jar. πŸ˜‰

I had picked up some random shrimp at Publix on Sunday without much thought on what to do with them.

You should have seen the guy’s face when I asked for only half a dozen shrimp. He looked at the basically empty baggie of shrimp then at me and asked if I was sure I didn’t want him to throw in a couple more. I just smiled. From years of living on my own I knew six would be the perfect portion for just me and I’m all about perfectly portioned for one meals. πŸ˜‰

After a bit of brainstorming this afternoon, I knew exactly what the shrimp were going to be: Coconut Shrimp!

I used to LOVE coconut shrimp growing up! There is something about the sweet and savory combination that always made my mouth happy.

For the Coconut Shrimp I stuck with a basic recipe that I sort of just made up as I went.

I started by toasting some coconut in oven at 420 for 5 minutes and added some whole wheat bread crumbs to bulk the toasted coconut up.

For the wet I went the simple route with basic egg whites.

Each shrimp was then dunked in the egg white and then in the toasted coconut before going on the baking sheet.

The shrimp went in the oven at 420 for 10 minutes and were flipped halfway through.

The results were crispy, coconutty shrimp. Nom Nom Nom

They were – dare I say it – the perfect healthier counterpart of one of my favorite restaurant treats.

To round out my dinner I had a few rutabaga fries

And some frozen okra that were heated up quickly in the mircowave

Amanda’s Blondies came out for dessert.

As well as a piece of my Godiva chocolate from Valentine’s Day.

I believe there were some requests for Maddie photos…

Maddie was born to be on the side of a bag of dog food. πŸ˜‰

Time to relax and enjoy the rest of my evening.

Good Night!

1 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) February 16, 2010 at 9:33 pm

I would eat almond butter on ANYTHING–even crazy salty stuff that no one thinks about!

Love the shrimp idea–I made one just like that but topped with tortilla chip crumbles–so crunchy and so good.

2 islandgirleats February 16, 2010 at 9:38 pm

That’s funny what you said about the guy behind the counter when you asked for 6 shrimps! When I cook for my husband and myself, I usually only buy about 10 – 5 each!

That is a great healthy alternative to coconut shrimp. Every time I see them on menus they are deep fried!

Maddie looks gorgeous!

3 Sara @ ActiveGal February 16, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Those shrimp look delicious! I have some in the refrigerator that I need to fix! I have been looking for a recipe…I may have to give this a shot!

4 Kristie February 16, 2010 at 9:44 pm

I LOVE dried mango so the combo of that with almond butter sounds like perfection. Must try!

And that coconut shrimp looks heavenly.

5 simplyshaka February 16, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Wow wow wow, that shrimp looks fabulous! And so easy to make-who knew?

6 theprocessofhealing February 16, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Barney Butter is fabulous with anything!!! πŸ˜€
And delicious sounding shrimp! I love shrimp.

7 Heather @ The Single Dish February 16, 2010 at 10:09 pm

I cook for one too and get those looks at the fish counter as well! Your dinner looks awesome, need to make that.

8 Kristen February 16, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Half a dozen shrimp, how funny! I think I could eat 2 dozen…can’t wait to try out this healthy recipe for Coconut shrimp!!!

9 runningwithsass February 16, 2010 at 10:57 pm

sweet puppies pictures! love it

10 kelly_marie February 16, 2010 at 11:03 pm

Hi Meghann! I’m a long-time reader but I haven’t commented very much…but I do love your blog! Two random things: 1) I decided to check out your dinner post just as I started to eat my dinner of…a half dozen coconut shrimp! Mine were Trader Joe’s and not homemade, though, but still kinda funny! 2) Do you watch 24? There is a character this season named Arlo – he is a CTU agent in the show, and I really think he looks like Derek (but Derek is better looking, as I’m sure you would agree!! I kept wondering who Arlo reminded me of and I finally linked it to your blog here!!) :)

11 Meghann February 17, 2010 at 6:54 am

I dont watch 24, but now you’ve got me curious! :)

12 NYCRunnerGirl February 16, 2010 at 11:09 pm

I thought AB on oranges was weird, until I tried it! Looks like I’ll be breaking out the dried mango next :)

13 BridgetP February 16, 2010 at 11:18 pm

Yum, I love coconut shrimp! I’ll have to try this recipe out, mine has never turned out well at home.

14 kt February 16, 2010 at 11:20 pm

Ahh raw shrimp gross me out! But then you made them look so delicious haha. I’m going to have to toughen up and learn to make them on my own, bc those look great!

15 Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle February 16, 2010 at 11:30 pm

I always ask for stange quantities at WF and get questioned! “Just one Italian sausage??” Yes, thank you very much πŸ˜€

16 Leena February 16, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Barney Butter is amazing on anything! gosh, i love it so much :)
your coconut shrimp sounds delicious too! i love coconut shrimp, but since it’s usually fried, i try to stay away from it… this is a great alternative! thanks!

17 Angela February 16, 2010 at 11:39 pm

I have never had coconut shrimp but I love both shrimp and coconut so I think I need to try it! I think Barney butter goes with anything!

18 Run Sarah February 16, 2010 at 11:40 pm

Love the Maddie glamour shots! Yum, coconut breading…I need to try that with tofu!

19 Emilyeatsclean February 16, 2010 at 11:43 pm

I don’t even like shrimp, but boy that sure does look good!!! :)

20 Mara @ What's For Dinner? February 16, 2010 at 11:47 pm

I love this idea for coconut shrimp! I think they’d be great pan-fried in a little coconut oil too πŸ˜‰

21 caronae February 16, 2010 at 11:53 pm

I’ve been doing mango with pb for a while now. So good! Especially decadent when you throw some dark chocolate chips on top!

22 Bah February 16, 2010 at 11:54 pm

Just have to say….your dog is one of the cutest dogs I have ever seen!

23 Kendall (Whisk Her Away) February 17, 2010 at 12:08 am

The shrimpies look amazing!

I’ve been eye-ing dried fruit in the bulk bins at my local grocery store — might just have to try it out — Although it seems a little pricey. What brand do you buy?

24 Meghann February 17, 2010 at 6:53 am

I just finished off a stash of Trader Joe’s dried mango.

25 Emily February 17, 2010 at 12:13 am

Yummy dinner (except I hate okra – blech. :) I was traumatized by my college dining hall I think…) Quick question – do you use unsweetened coconut? Where do you get it – I keep looking and haven’t been successful in finding it…

26 Meghann February 17, 2010 at 6:53 am

Yes, its unsweetened. I find it at whole foods.

27 Sook @ My Fabulous Recipes February 17, 2010 at 12:34 am

I was craving coconut shrimp just the other day but decided not to make it because I have been trying to eat healthier lately. I like that you baked yours and that’s something I’ve never tried before. I’m saving this recipe. Thanks!

28 foodfitnessandfreya February 17, 2010 at 3:54 am

Great idea with the shrimp! I definetly want to try that – I sometimes find them so dull on their own, nice to see a groovy way of eating them!!
Your dog is beautiful :)

29 Heather February 17, 2010 at 8:43 am

I love coconut shrimp—especially the fruity dipping sauce that goes with them :)

30 amanda February 17, 2010 at 9:02 am

shrimp is delicious! and when you add coconut-to.die.for.

31 Katie February 17, 2010 at 9:04 am

I love dried fruit and nut butter.

There for a second I thought you were going to say you put the shrimp in with the last of your nut butter. I agree that it’s good on everything, but maybe not EVERYTHING everything. :)

32 Sarah February 17, 2010 at 9:07 am

What a great idea:) I love coconut shrimp but as I am trying to lose weight I never order them. For some reason making them never occured to me. What a smart cookie! I will have to have those soon!

33 Erica @ Fashion meets Food February 17, 2010 at 9:07 am

I think it is possible to eat almond butter on anything! Love your flatware! I have the same but with the smaller polka dots.

34 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday February 17, 2010 at 9:16 am

First of all, your dog is adorable. Secondly, that’s a great idea for shrimp! I have some in my fridge and I’ll have to try that recipe!

35 Kelly February 17, 2010 at 9:26 am

You’re always so creative! Looks delicious and I don’t even like shrimp!

36 Sophie February 17, 2010 at 9:46 am

Great recipe, I’ve never had these before, and now I feel that I have to try them! Nom indeed!

37 meyergirl February 17, 2010 at 9:48 am

Great Maddie pictures! And those shrimp look awesome!

38 Jessie February 17, 2010 at 9:55 am

I love coconut shrimp but I can never get the breading to stick. Your shrimp look so amazing!

39 luckytastebuds February 17, 2010 at 2:46 pm

You never cease to amaze with your delicious-looking meals -healthified too!! Those shrimps look awesome!!!

40 Melinda Neely February 17, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Not only have all your blog posts talked me into buying almond butter, but I can’t wait to try out the shrimp. And little Maddie is adorable – we have an older Jack in our household. Great dogs who like any of said leftovers.

41 Caroline February 17, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Thanks for the Maddie pics! She always look so happy! (I have one dog who really has the ‘I’m pitiful’ look down)

42 Lauren February 17, 2010 at 4:50 pm

I love this coconut shrimp recipe. I just got some coconut and I am definitely trying this!

43 Ali February 17, 2010 at 5:24 pm

YUMMM! Coconut shrimp looks awesome!!!!! Such cute pictures of Maddie.

44 Jamie (Food in Real Life) February 17, 2010 at 9:23 pm

So many awesome ideas in this post! I love the coconut shrimp and rutabaga fries? Never thought of that! They look great!

45 kristilyn February 20, 2010 at 12:31 am

Aww, I love how you only asked for 6 shrimp! I probably would have gotten more and froze the portions, but your way is smart, too. That’s a perfect serving size.

I’ve never actually had coconut shrimp, but I always drool over it in recipes and pictures – I guess I should make it one day!

I’ve made rutabaga fries before, but I found they too forever to soften up! Carrot fries are my favourite now. :-)