Back to real life

by Meghann on February 15, 2010

Did I really turn 25 a week ago? What a whirlwind the week had been! I guess its officially time to get back to reality.

I had read an article in Runner’s World a few months ago about long runs and marathon training. I forget the exact details of the article, but I do remember the overall concept of when you do not have enough time to get one long run in while training to instead try back to back medium runs. For instance if you are unable to get your twenty miler in, then back to back 10 milers should be as effective because your body will still be worn out and tired attempting the second 10 miler just as it would be if you ran the full 20.

Does that make sense? I wish I could find the article for better reference.

Anyways, yesterday when I realized I wasn’t going to get my planned long run in, I decided to test that theory out. I ran 10 miles yesterday afternoon and this morning set out for 8 miles.

My body was pretty tired during the 8 miles and I saw a significant drop in pace from my 10 miles yesterday. Still, I was happy just to get another run in.

Breakfast was an old favorite that had been missing from my diet for too long.

IMG_9669

A big bowl of cereal! 🙂

IMG_9668

It feels strange to be back at my desk today. After nearly a week away I almost forgot what it looked like! Unfortunately my desk did not forget me. Quite a bit happened while I was out and there is a pile of work waiting to be sorted through. Looks like its going to be a long day. Good thing I went ahead and packed my lunch in anticipation of that. 😉

Have a great Monday everyone!

1 megan February 15, 2010 at 9:46 am

interesting theory about long runs. I wonder if that always works or if it’s just kind of a once in awhile thing?

2 rachelkrejci February 15, 2010 at 9:57 am

I think I read something to that effect in a magazine too, but I can’t remember where. I know I heard a news report sometime in the last few months about not necessarily needing to log long runs before a marathon. Great job getting out there again this morning. Good luck at work today!

3 Sarah February 15, 2010 at 10:02 am

I remember that article, too. I’m pretty sure they advised trying to complete them in the same day (because when you sleep, your body heals itself more) for optimal effect, but you should be close enough!

4 islandgirleats February 15, 2010 at 10:03 am

There have been a few times when I returned from a holiday, saw my desk, and wondered why I went away!

I bet you will sleep well tonight after another good run! That is what I love about running – the way that I sleep after a good run!

5 Madeline - Greens and Jeans February 15, 2010 at 10:11 am

I’ll be curious to see how this works out for you! Getting back to “real life” is always hard after a nice long break!

6 kt February 15, 2010 at 10:19 am

I think that makes sense if you’re more of a seasoned runner… like, have already or just run a marathon like you just did, because you know your body will be able to go the 26.2 come marathon day. Plus, you usually give your body more time to recover after long runs, so it makes sense to me! Think of it as a really long walking break? Lol

7 foodfitnessandfreya February 15, 2010 at 10:28 am

Ooh I like that running theory! I’d be really interested to hear more about that. It does make sense…I hear Paula Radcliffe does like, 6 runs a day, but they’re all short, and she’s a world record holder, so there must be some reason to the theory!

LOVE your breakfast! It’s great to see other people doing big bowls of cereal like me; a ‘serving’ according to the packet is always tiiiinnny!
Have fun at work :s !!

8 skinnyrunner February 15, 2010 at 10:41 am

that running theory definitely makes sense! i ran back to back half marathons last month thinking it’d be no big deal. i was definitely more tired on the second one and ran it about 7 mins slower!

9 NYCRunnerGirl February 15, 2010 at 11:03 am

Makes sense to me! Sometimes I have trouble just cranking out two or three miles the day after a long run. I’m impressed!

Hope work is great today – I know how hard it is to go back after a week off!

10 Can You Stay for Dinner February 15, 2010 at 11:10 am

ooo, it’s so hard to get back into the swing of work after being away. I know you’re happy with your job, but are there times when you want to change your career path? I only ask because I think about this daily for my own life.

11 Anna February 15, 2010 at 11:34 am

Definitely an interesting theory. I could actually see that being even more exhaustive for the body, especially over time.

Have a great day!

12 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) February 15, 2010 at 11:39 am

Your Greek yogurt looks like ice cream and/or froyo!! I guess we know where my head is at 🙂

13 biz319 February 15, 2010 at 11:41 am

Yep, back to reality – that was a crazy week you had! Maddie looks so happy to be home too! 😀

14 Run Sarah February 15, 2010 at 11:56 am

That’s an interesting theory – I think it would be almost harder as your muscles have the change to tense up over night. Happy Monday!

15 Retta @ RunRettaRun February 15, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I’m so glad you posted about this topic. With kiddos and a full time job, I was wondering how I could get anything longer than 13 miles in on one day! Thank you and again, happy birthday!

16 Emilyeatsclean February 15, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Yea work always has that wonderful way of snapping your back into reality after a fabulous vaca! I’ll have to test out that theory sometime about the back to back runs.

-emily http://www.emilyeatsclean.wordpress.com

17 adrienmelaine February 15, 2010 at 12:27 pm

I’m going to fire my run coach an email and ask him about that- if that’s the case I’d rather to that than a 2.5hr run in mexico next month..

18 theprocessofhealing February 15, 2010 at 12:36 pm

That is interesting about the runs.. never heard that before. But it does make sense…
Love your cereal bowl! And totally jealous of the peach! Peach season in SC is far far away 🙁

19 Kelly February 15, 2010 at 12:40 pm

I can’t wait to get back to my normal eating habits and schedule! Still one more day of my weekend!

20 Evan Thomas February 15, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Your yogurt looks so thick I thought it was ice cream! Haha

21 Paige February 15, 2010 at 1:46 pm

I have always relied on the two-run method to get training in for marathons. It just works better for me.

22 rebecca lustig February 15, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I’m not sure I understand that concept, either- ha.

And getting back into the real world is never “fun”… but i hope the day is a good one!

23 Catherine February 15, 2010 at 2:33 pm

I remember reading that article a while back as well, but like one of the earlier posters I thought it only pertained to doing so in the same day… I want to look into that though, because that would make logging long miles during the work week a lot easier so that I am not rushing so much and can still be ready for the Boston marathon in April.

24 Monica (Musings of the Granola Girl) February 15, 2010 at 2:39 pm

What an interested tip from runner’s world! I might have to look into that because with busy schedules it’s often hard to make time for a 20 mile run.

Does your body feel like you’ve ran a 20 miler in one day as the article suggests?

That yogurt looks so thick and delicious! (My mouth is watering just looking at it!)

25 Jamie February 15, 2010 at 2:47 pm

I can’t believe you eat grapes in your cereal?!!?! Am I allowed to say, ew? hahaha.. I guess I can only picture eating grapes by themselves… 😉

26 Matt February 15, 2010 at 2:49 pm

I don’t think back to back 10 milers are the same as a long run. I run at least 10 miles every day, and that doesn’t feel like a long run at all.

27 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday February 15, 2010 at 3:07 pm

what kind of yoghurt do you use? it looks super thick!

28 kristilyn February 15, 2010 at 4:55 pm

I’ve been finding that I should take a day break in between runs or I get really tired. I have my long run on Saturdays, but I’ve just started training for a half marathon, so the longest I’ve gone so far is 6.2 miles … it’ll be interesting when I get up to the 13!

That yogurt looks amazing – it’s so thick!

K

29 Angela February 15, 2010 at 6:39 pm

That cereal looks soo good, it’s making me want to eat a peach!