more ยป" />

The adventure comes to an end

by Meghann on February 14, 2010

I’m home! I’m home! I’m home!!!

I don’t think I have ever been happier to be sitting in MY apartment, watching television on MY tv, drinking tea from MY kitchen, and having MY puppy curled up beside me.

Life is good. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thankfully my bag finally arrived at noon on the dot and my eyes filled with tears of joy as I pulled out my rainbow flip flops to ear as opposed to the rain boots I had been rockin the past two days.

As soon as the bag was in the trunk, Derek and I were on our way to my parent’s, but not before stopping at Whole Foods for a quick lunch.

We split a grilled veggie sub on whole wheat with dijon mustard and provolone cheese.

I paired my half with a juicy pink lady apple.

We ate on the road and managed to make great timing on getting to my parents. One minute I was listening to the Wicked soundtrack as we’re getting on the interstate and the next minute I’m waking up and we’re less than 30 miles away.

I spent a max of 10 minutes at my parents house before I was hopping in my own car and heading to Orlando. Maddie was so excited to see me! She jumped in the car as we started loading the luggage and refused to get out in fear that I would leave her behind again. I promised her I wasn’t leaving her anywhere. The ride to Orlando was full of non-stop Maddie kisses.

I started my day hoping to get a 16 mile run in, but as the day progressed the run kept getting shorter and shorter in my head. By the time I got home, dressed, and to my favorite running spot it was close to 5:00 and I figured any run would be a good run at this point.

Before I left I had a Luna Cookie Dough Protein Bar.

I’ll admit this bar was better than the peanut butter version, but it was still chalky and not really my style.

I had an hour and a half before the sun was to set and pushed myself to complete 10 miles in the time frame. I finished the run with a warm and tingly feeling deep inside. It may not have been the run I had originally planned, but after all the problems with my bag and being stuck in NYC, I was damn proud of that run! ๐Ÿ™‚

After a quick trip to the grocery store (hello, vegetables!) I was ready for dinner!

(p.s. the battery to my DSLR is dead, which is why you have been enjoying all the point and shoot photos in this post. DSLR quality will be back tomorrow. I promise!)

Dinner was simple. I roasted half an acorn squash at 420 for 25 minutes in the oven and on the stove top I had a grain mix I picked up from Trader Joe’s simmering in a pot.

When everything was done I stuffed the squash with the grain mix and topped it with some marinara sauce before baking it in the oven for another 5 minutes or so just to heat the sauce up a bit.

The stuffed squash came out great. You can’t go wrong with out squash, grains, and marinara sauce. ๐Ÿ™‚

I had a few birthday surprises waiting for me in my mailbox when I arrived home this afternoon, including a fresh batch of blondies from one of my favorite bakers.

THANKS AMANDA!!! Peanut Butter and Chocolate?!?!?! My favorite!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

I had 1/2 a blondie for dessert.

๐Ÿ™‚

I can not wait to sleep in my own bed tonight! I can hear it calling my name now.

Good Night!!

1 Evan Thomas February 14, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Those blondies look so good! Perfect way to end the night ๐Ÿ™‚
I have to say those cookie dough lunas blew me out of the water. Like I actually have to restrain myself around them, haha

2 runningwithsass February 14, 2010 at 10:18 pm

so glad you finally made it home! When I got home from my trip last week one of my dogs got in my suitcase so I would take her next time!

great job on the run! I wish I could do 10 miles in 1.5 hours. takes me a little over 2!

3 Lizzy February 14, 2010 at 10:19 pm

my aunt raves about that harvest grains blend all the time from trader joes! i hope you enjoyed! ๐Ÿ™‚ xoxox

4 Ashley February 14, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Those blondies look incredible as does the dinner recipe! Who makes those blondies??

5 Amanda February 16, 2010 at 8:28 am

Me (Amanda) – you can email me if you want to order some! homemadebyamanda@gmail.com

6 kt February 14, 2010 at 10:26 pm

I used to eat Luna bars all the time a couple years ago, but I feel you now on the chalky thing. Just that smell of fake chocolate kinda grosses me out lol. That harvest grain blend looks great, though, I’ll have to keep an eye out for it the next time I get to TJ’s!

7 jaclyn February 14, 2010 at 10:35 pm

Nothing like a week away to make you truely appreciate your TV, puppy and a homemade meal! ๐Ÿ™‚

8 thefitbride February 14, 2010 at 10:40 pm

There’s no place like home! I love the feeling of going home after a good trip.

9 Molly February 14, 2010 at 10:41 pm

welcome home ๐Ÿ™‚ I cant imagine being away from my dog that long! Glad you had a fabulous trip though! Despite all the mishaps I am still very jealous ๐Ÿ™‚

xo-Molly

10 Maggie February 14, 2010 at 10:44 pm

I am probably way late on this bc I always read you in google reader, but… love the layout!

Glad you are happy to be home. I always am too!

11 Matt February 14, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Welcome home ๐Ÿ™‚

12 lily @ Lily's Health Pad February 14, 2010 at 10:51 pm

Awwww…I know your Maddie and your Derek are glad to have you back! I’m happy you have your bag now.

13 fattiefatterton February 14, 2010 at 10:55 pm

Okay, how can we get in on some of those blondies? I’ll pay for mine, I just want some!!

14 Amanda February 16, 2010 at 8:29 am

you can email me if you want to order some! homemadebyamanda@gmail.com

15 The Brunette February 14, 2010 at 11:00 pm

I love getting home and being able to curl up on my own couch, with a meal that I’ve cooked myself, after a trip, no matter how fun it was.

16 RhodeyGirlTests February 14, 2010 at 11:05 pm

Aw sorry you didn’t really like your “birthday” bar hahaha!

Funny because I am TOTALLY obsessed with them and just bought TWENTY FOUR from the market!!! NUTS!

17 Erin February 14, 2010 at 11:06 pm

Coming home is the BEST feeling.

I say that as someone who’s leaving tomorrow for two months travel through Australia and New Zealand. Love to travel but also LOVE coming home again! ๐Ÿ˜€

18 rachelkrejci February 14, 2010 at 11:08 pm

Glad you and your luggage made it safely home. Being in your own space with your own things after a long trip is such a great feeling. Great job on the run tonight. I can only imagine how hard it was to get motivated to fit in a run, but I always feel better after ๐Ÿ™‚ Happy Valentine’s Day!

19 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) February 14, 2010 at 11:12 pm

Ahhh I would not survive 2 days without my Rainbows ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ve only been able to wear them indoors though since it’s been snowing and freezing outside. Still, I need them indoors!

20 Katie @ Health for the Whole Self February 14, 2010 at 11:34 pm

Glad you made it home! Love that Trader Joe’s grain mix!

21 Hillary February 14, 2010 at 11:44 pm

Isn’t Wicked wonderful? : ) I’ve never seen pancakes topped w/ cereal – an added crunch.

Welcome home!

– The Nutrition Nut

22 Jamie February 14, 2010 at 11:56 pm

Welcome home! And I’m addicted to “Popular” and “Defying Gravity”!

23 feetinmotion February 15, 2010 at 12:13 am

your dog is sooo precious! I also thought the cookie dough luna was better than the peanut butter chocolate one. ๐Ÿ™‚

24 Karla February 15, 2010 at 12:23 am

Glad you made it home safely!!
I looove that Harvest Grain Blend! Such good texture!

25 Emilyeatsclean February 15, 2010 at 12:36 am

Glad you AND your bag are back home safe and sound. Your adorable puppy looks soo sleepy in that picture! ๐Ÿ™‚

-emily http://www.emilyeatsclean.wordpress.com

26 Angela February 15, 2010 at 12:57 am

There is nothing better than coming home after a long vacation! Vacations are good but nothing beats eating your own food, sleeping in your own bed, and see your fur baby!

27 foodfitnessandfreya February 15, 2010 at 4:03 am

Awh glad you’re home (with your bag)! Arrving home is 10 x better when there is an animal to greet you don’t you think!?
Well done on the run too – that’s a great time to do it in, especially in the evening! I can NEVER run in the evening, only the morning :s
Have a good evening ๐Ÿ™‚

28 Emily Eats and Exercises February 15, 2010 at 7:18 am

Glad you’re back home. The acorn squash looks good. When I bought that TJ mix I was frustraed because I found that when the couscous was cooked the lentils were still crunchy but if I waited for the lentils to cook, the couscous was mush. Did you find that?

29 Kristina February 15, 2010 at 9:10 am

Way to get out and do the run! Huge props in the face of those obstacles to still get out and do it!

Aren’t puppies the funniest? My doggie does the same thing when I pick him up – gets in the car and won’t get out for fear of being left behind. Little dogs can give so much love.

30 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday February 15, 2010 at 9:25 am

Blondies?! Yummmmmm

31 Heather February 15, 2010 at 9:51 am

Home sweet home!! That grain blend looks really good. and of course the blondies look fantastic-yum!

32 Caroline February 15, 2010 at 10:08 am

I was just about to ask for more Maddie pictures! She’s such a beautiful girl. I have to admit that at that point I probably would have just skipped the run if I were you, good job on getting some mileage in!

33 abbynormally February 15, 2010 at 10:45 am

Those blondies sound so good!!!

34 Heather (Heather's Dish) February 15, 2010 at 12:23 pm

look at maddie! that’s the most adorable picture ๐Ÿ™‚ so glad you’re home with blondies…yum ๐Ÿ™‚

35 dianacheung February 15, 2010 at 5:37 pm

i totally understand when you say “i want veggies”. Being out of town for a whole weekend, I missed my oats, veggies, and fruits!