more ยป" />

A Valentine's Celebration

by Meghann on February 14, 2010

Happy Valentine’s Day Everyone!

funny-pictures-cats-want-you-as-their-valentine.jpg

I hope your day is filled with love, happiness, and lots of pink. ๐Ÿ™‚

Last night Derek and I celebrated a combination of my birthday (which was last Monday), Valentine’s Day, and our one year anniversary by painting the town red with a fancy dinner and Wicked.

We had early dinner reservations at Mise En Place – a modern american cuisine restaurant just outside downtown tampa.

The restaurant was gorgeous inside. It was quaint and romantic; the perfect spot for a candlelit Valentine’s dinner for two.

Derek and I began with a lovely bottle of cabernet sauvignon.

The two of us managed to consume the entire bottle during our two hour dining experience. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t a little buzzed by the end of the meal.

It took us a while to decide what we wanted to eat. Mise En Place has a very extensive menu and everything looks more delicious than the last.

While we were deciding a basket of bread was delivered to our table.

I had a piece of the onion covered variety.

To start Derek and I shared the L.A. Pizza plate that was topped with roasted mushrooms, rapini, goat cheese, pine nuts, and white truffle oil.

The crust of the pizza was extra thin and basically melted in your mouth.

For my meal I chose the Bluenose, Pistachio Jasmine Rice, Masala Grilled Eggplant, Coconut Chutney, Tomato Cardomon Sauce, & Ginger Papaya Avocado Salad

The plate was beautifully presented with each layer adding a unique touch of color. The flavor was wonderful as well. I always appreciate dishes that incorporate fruit for a touch of sweetness.

I also had a couple of bites of Derek’s Grilled Beef Tenderloin, Butternut Squash Ravioli, Pancetta, Grilled Asparagus, Creamy Fregola, Black Trumpet Madiera Jus.

When his meal was served, Derek looked like a little boy who was just an unlimited bowl of ice cream. He was actually jumping up an down in his chair as he was saying “Babe, you have to take a picture of mine too. This is f-ing amazing.”

I agreed the plate was gorgeous and the couple of bites I had were very tender and bursting with flavor.

We were both very happy with our choices and would love to come back again to try the other amazing meals we were drooling over on the menu.

Of course the night would not be complete without a great dessert to go with our great meal.

We couldn’t decide which dessert we wanted, so when our server suggested the dessert sampler to share we immediately said yes.

The sampler consisted of a Milk Chocolate Brownie with Crunchy Peanut Butter Ice Cream, Croquantine Flourless Cake with Toasted Macadamia Nut Ice Cream, and a Raspberry Shortcake.

Derek and I easily cleaned the plate. Our favorite was the flourless cake with the macadamia nut ice cream.

After our meal we headed to Tampa’s Performing Arts Center for Wicked!!

Derek had actually purchased the Wicked tickets as my Christmas present and it just happened to fall on the same weekend as Valentine’s Day.

I had read Wicked a couple of years ago and loved it, but found the book to be very dark. I’ve always been curious to see how they had transformed the dark book into a broadway musical. I was giddy in my seat counting down the minutes to the opening number.

My opinion? Wow!

I am pretty sure I had a goofy smile on my face throughout the entire performance. The musical stuck with the basic principles of the book, but quite a few details were either left out or reformatted. I actually enjoyed the musical storyline more than the book with the majority of the darker material having been removed.

My favorite change from the book was the rewritten love story between Elphaba and Fiyero. It was a happy love that felt right and had the audience rooting for them. In the book their love was hidden and almost felt wrong at times.

I also enjoyed the happy ending! Who doesn’t like a happy ending? ๐Ÿ™‚

In closing I give Wicked two big thumbs up! I would happily see it again and again and again!

When we got back to the apartment Derek couldn’t wait to dig in to the GIANT Reese’s I had bought him in NYC for Valentine’s Day.

Each cup weighed half a pound!

I had 1/8 of the cup.

Tasted just like a regular Reeses, but with a whole lot more peanut butter filling. ๐Ÿ™‚

This morning Derek presented me with my own Valentine’s Day chocolates. ๐Ÿ™‚

He gave me the exact same box a year ago today! ๐Ÿ™‚

Derek also got to work in the kitchen making Valentine’s pancakes.

I had three pancakes topped with yogurt, mango, and a sprinkle of random cereal on top.

All the was missing was pink yogurt and to have the pancakes shaped like hearts. ๐Ÿ™‚

Delta informed me today that my bag is in Tampa and it is suppose to arrive on Derek’s doorstep before noon today. Yay!

As soon as my bag arrive we are going to hightail it to my parents where I need to pick up my car and the beautiful Maddie! I’ve missed my puppy. I’m also going to attempt to get a 16 mile run in sometime this afternoon. With my marathon only 2 weeks away I really, really need to get this run in.

WIsh me luck!

1 jenngirl February 14, 2010 at 11:32 am

Glad you guys had a fun evening, that dinner sounds amazing!!

Good luck getting your bags, your puppy, and having an awesome run today!

Happy Valentine’s day! ๐Ÿ™‚

2 Doug February 14, 2010 at 11:32 am

Nice! We are celebrating Thursday (Amanda’s bday+Vday). Happy belated bday. Glad you FINALLY made it back.

3 Dori February 14, 2010 at 11:32 am

Your meal last nights looks so so so incredible. That pizza, omg! And your main course, wowwww. I love anything eggplant and that just looks and sounds so delicious. The desserts all sound amazing as well. if I am ever in Tampa I want to go there!

4 Jocelyn February 14, 2010 at 11:33 am

wow sounds like you had a GREAT night. And I see you are not wearing carlos bakery tee shirt and jeans LOL. You look fab! And your date not so bad either ;)….Glad you enjoyed wicked and your valentine’s bfast/chocolates! Have a great day!

5 Meghan February 14, 2010 at 11:35 am

Happy Valentine’s Day! ๐Ÿ™‚ (If you and Derek like Reese’s, you need to check out the new dark chocolate variety. Yum.)

6 Nicci February 14, 2010 at 11:37 am

Looks like you had a great V-day dinner and you saw Wicked. I saw the play a couple years ago…loved it. Can’t wait to see it again this year.

7 Madeline - Greens and Jeans February 14, 2010 at 11:39 am

What a great Valentine’s/birthday/anniversary date! Glad your bag has found its way back to you!

8 Megan (The Runner's Kitchen) February 14, 2010 at 11:45 am

I love Reese’s cups! Chocolate + peanut butter = perfect running fuel ๐Ÿ™‚

9 theprocessofhealing February 14, 2010 at 11:47 am

Aw girl, it’s hard to imagine a more perfect Valentine’s than that!! Your dinner looks awesome and you looked so pretty, love the top!!!
And holy cow… no idea they made Reese cups like that!
Isn’t Derek sweet cooking you pancakes and the giving of Godiva chocolate.. a girl’s dream!
Have a great day!

10 foodfitnessandfreya February 14, 2010 at 11:53 am

:O
What an AMAZING looking meal!! Crikey that stuff sounded (and looked) amazing! YOU LUCKY THING!!
Beautiful dress too ๐Ÿ™‚
It seems like your luck has turned now – great night out and bag on its’ way back; you must be relieved!
oh and LOL at the LOL CATZ!!! I love those pictures, they ALWAYS make me smile ๐Ÿ˜€
Have an awesomeday, good luck on your run!

11 islandgirleats February 14, 2010 at 11:57 am

I can not believe the size of that peanut butter cup. Talk about lethal! I would eat the whole thing – I can’t help myself with peanut butter cups!

12 kt February 14, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Your whole night out sounds fantastic! I loove Wicked, thank god it’s coming back to Chicago this winter! Christmas present, anyone? Haha.

13 Lacey February 14, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Aww! I’m not a supporter of Valentine’s day but I must say, what a perfect way to celebrate it! That is the craziest Reeses Cup I’ve ever seen and that box of Godiva seems like a perfect anniversary tradition- happy 1 year anniversary to you both!

P.S. I wonder if anyone else finds it odd than an AMERICAN bistro has the name Mise En Place? Everything looked delish and now I’m officially starving ๐Ÿ™‚

14 Karla February 14, 2010 at 12:05 pm

What an amazing night! I’m dying to see Wicked!
You look beautiful! Great dress choice!

Happy Valentine’s Day!

15 The Brunette February 14, 2010 at 12:06 pm

What a cute Valentine’s Day celebration! Flourless chocolate cake is hands down my favorite thing to order at restaurants ๐Ÿ™‚

16 Kristen February 14, 2010 at 12:10 pm

that peanut butter cup is crazy! glad your bag is almost with you…i hope it comes early and that you can get your run in.

17 Jen O February 14, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Sounds like you guys had a wonderful evening! You guys are adorable! I smiled reading that entire post. And WOW, I want that Reeses! YUM!

Good luck on your run!

18 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) February 14, 2010 at 12:15 pm

You looked BEAUTIFUL in that dress!!! So glad you liked Wicked–I mean, what’s NOT to like?! Happy V-Day to you and Derek!

19 Sarah R February 14, 2010 at 12:25 pm

What a wonderful evening! Wicked is simply amazing. I’m with you, I could see it over and over. Your dress is really cute where did you end up getting it? I was literally lol-ing when I read what Derek said about his meal. Too funny!

20 Lauren @ A Fit Foodie February 14, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Looks like you both had a great Valentine’s Day celebration! I definitely envied all the food you ate. Looks incredible! And I’m hoping to see Wicked one day in the future. I love broadway!!

21 Diana(mymarblerye) February 14, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Wicked is my fave musical ever! I actually wanna see it again! Great choice in dress..and bf! You are getting totally spoiled this weekend! ๐Ÿ™‚

22 Niki @ Niki's Neverending Adventure February 14, 2010 at 12:56 pm

What a great evening!! Your dinner/dessert sounds and looks amazing!! Glad you liked Wicked! I hope to see it sometime too!!

The Reese’s cup is huge! Love it! I think my fiance would die if I gave that to him!! Haha. Fingers crossed that your bag arrives!!

23 Run Sarah February 14, 2010 at 1:00 pm

What a great date – the food look amazing as does Wicked. Love the dress you chose too.

24 Anna February 14, 2010 at 1:02 pm

What a lovely dinner!

I almost bought that dress to wear to my sister’s baby shower! So cute!

25 phablifestyle February 14, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Happy Valetine’s Day! Your meal looked wonder and your dress was beautiful! Glad to hear that you bag is on it’s way back to you ๐Ÿ™‚

26 phablifestyle February 14, 2010 at 1:04 pm

I ment to say wonderful in my reply NOT wonder! HA!

27 Erica @ Fashion meets Food February 14, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Happy Valentine’s Day! I absolutely love Wicked! I have seen it multiple times in all different cities! It’s the best! You’re dinner looked divine! Love your dress!

28 becca7684 February 14, 2010 at 1:13 pm

That restaurant looks Ahh-MAZING! What a great evening out!

29 RhodeyGirlTests February 14, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Awww what a cute date!

A couple of questions:

1. What shoes did you wear?!?!!?
2. Did you feel uncomfortable taking photos in that restaurant? We had a really nice dinner last night, and I felt weird taking photos (but did anyways… with no flash)

I love your dress and Derek’s outfit too!

30 Meghann February 14, 2010 at 9:18 pm

1. I wore the only shoes I have – boots! lol It didn’t match at all, but I didn’t feel like spending any more money and Derek didn’t care what was on my feet.

2. I felt fine taking photos in the restaurant. After a year and a half of blogging it doesn’t even occur to me that taking pictures is weird to other people.

31 Can You Stay for Dinner February 14, 2010 at 1:24 pm

You looked so pretty! I can’t wait to see Wicked, I’m glad you liked it! And that peanut butter cup is aaaamazing

32 Angela February 14, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Looks like you had fun! That ribbon on the box of chocolate is so pretty! That giant reeses is pretty much amazing!

33 Jess February 14, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Love your dress, Meghann! Where did you buy it?

34 Meghann February 14, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Anne Taylor Loft

35 pinkflipflops February 14, 2010 at 2:03 pm

I really really really want that gigantic Reeses Peanut Butter Cup. OMG. Yum.

36 abbynormally February 14, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Looks like a fun time!!!

I hope you can get your bag soon!!

37 kristilyn February 14, 2010 at 3:11 pm

What a great celebration! Everything looks amazing!

I’ve never read Wicked, but I’ve heard that the presentation is good – I’ll have to catch it one day!

LOVE those giant PB cups – that has to be one of my favourite treats. ๐Ÿ™‚

K

38 Beth (Mackattack) February 14, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Love the dress you picked! Those desserts and chocolates have definitely sparked a chocolate craving in me!

39 Sara February 14, 2010 at 3:46 pm

That Reese’s is the coolest thing I’ve ever seen! That would be dangerous around me.

40 Julie February 14, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Wicked is amazing. What luck that your xmas present fell on vday weekend ๐Ÿ™‚

41 Jayce February 14, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Looks deicious and fun! I like the dress you picked. ๐Ÿ™‚

42 Nelly February 14, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Wow biggest reeses EVER. My husband would LOVE that!
Happy vday girl!

43 tiffnie February 14, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Happy Valentine’s Day! Isn’t Wicked AMAZING?! I just love the music, the characters, the storyline, and yes, the happy ending!!!

And your meal last night looked amazing, especially the colors on your dish. So pretty! I also had no idea they sold ginormous Reese’s…now I have to get one. Derek is a sweetheart; I love Godiva chocolates, especially their dark chocolates. Very high quality and beautiful to look at too.

Finally, cute dress! Glad you’ll get your luggage back today too. Have a great rest of the weekend!

44 caronae February 14, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Sounds like a splendid evening. The giant reese’s is awesome. And you can never go wrong with godiva chocolates!

45 Jamie February 14, 2010 at 5:27 pm

I love the dress you picked out! Sometimes its so so fun to go to a big fancy date night – happy valentine’s day!

46 biz319 February 14, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Happy Valentine’s Day Meghann & Derek!

I saw Wicked in Chicago. I really hadn’t paid attention to the cast until I looked at the program and saw Anna Gastyer’s name as Elphaba – I had only known her to be in Saturday Night Live, but she was AMAZING! And Kristen Chenoweth played Glinda – best musical I’ve seen! ๐Ÿ˜€

47 Melissa S. February 14, 2010 at 6:55 pm

what a great dinner!!! and i love your dress! you did a great job picking one out at the last minute!

48 Heather February 14, 2010 at 7:56 pm

I’m glad you liked Wicked!! I thought it was amazing!! That restaurant looks like it had great food- I love when there’s so many choices you can’t decide. (I don’t like the deciding part tho..)

49 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday February 14, 2010 at 9:09 pm

That Reese is ginormous! Where did you find it?

50 Meghann February 14, 2010 at 9:20 pm

I got it at the Hershey’s store in Time Square

51 inmytummy February 14, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Sounds like a lovely Valentine’s Day!

I tried to read Wicked and just could not get into it. I loved the musical though.

52 Kath February 14, 2010 at 9:58 pm

I’m going to get tickets for Wicked here in May and am so excited!!

53 Sarah February 15, 2010 at 12:18 pm

AWE cuuuuute puppy! I’ve got a 3 year old very shy JRT and you make me want to get her a friend! She looks so sleepy, just like mine when we pick her up from Doggie Daycare.

54 meyergirl February 15, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Glad you had a wonderful evening! It looks like a blast!

55 Andrea of Care to Eat February 17, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Not even lying – I’m catching up on all my blogs I missed while I was out of town, so of course that means I’m reading them backwards. I got to this post and saw the first picture of you and thought that you looked so beautiful! In fact you look great in all the pictures in this post (Derek too!). I was floored when I started reading the previous post and saw that you had no makeup or styling products! Work it sister! You’re a natural beauty!