more ยป" />

Safe and Sound

by Meghann on February 12, 2010

What a day. What a day.

First of all a BIG thank to Electrolux for providing me with a HUGE bag in my swag, which allowed me to bring home all my new NYC treasures. :)

I’m sure everyone else on my flights hated me for spending 5 minutes trying to stuff that bag in the above luggage compartments each time, but it saved me another $25 in checked baggage fees. Totally worth the hassle. ;)

After breakfast I spent the rest of my morning packing and saying good bye to the hotel I learned to call home this week. I’m sure going to miss the king size bed, house keeping, and of course the view that came with it.

Right before my car came to pick me up at 11:00am I snacked on some yogurt and fruit with a piece of my Mom’s blueberry muffin left over from breakfast crumbled on top.

I’m really going to miss the wide selection of yogurts, fruit, and sparkling waters that seem to be in every deli or cute little store all over the city. We don’t have that in Orlando. I’m lucky if a little store even carries yogurt!

I arrived at the airport in plenty of time to linger before my flight. I bought a lunch for the plane and did a little e-mail catch up on the lap top.

Slowly I started to see the time on my clock move closer to my original 1:30 departure time and eventually pass it. My flight was being delayed to 1:45 and then 2:00.

I got anxious and decided to dig into my salad I had originally purchase for the flight.

It actually wasn’t bad for a salad purchased at an airport. It had goat cheese, candied nuts and cinnamon apples. Yum.

A little while later I had two of the vegan macaroons Ashley had given me after the race on Sunday.

My flight eventually boarded 45 minutes after its original departure time. Which honestly would not have been too bad if it wasn’t for the fact my connecting flight was a whole different airline and I wasn’t sure how close it would be to my gate.

I kept my mind off of the late departure on my first flight and instead focused on sleeping and reading up on the latest gossip mags. It wasn’t until I landed that I let the panic sink in. My first flight was on Continental and the second was Delta.

Turns out Delta is in a whole other terminal in Cincinnati’s airport. I had to book it across one terminal, head out of security, go back through security, and race through three concourses in another terminal to make it to my gate.

I arrived at the gate out of breath and almost in tears, but the plane was thankfully still there! The Delta people at the gate were really sweet and said they were not going to leave me behind. They even bumped me to first class! I think that was a first for me. :)

Since I was in first class and all I decided a ‘real’ drink was on order.

Hello vodka and orange juice!

That really hit the spot. ;)

A Biscoff in honor of Kath.

The flight was pretty uneventful after that. Our flight landed on time and I was thankful to be back in the south.

Unfortunately as happy as I was to be in Florida, my bag decided it was having too much fun in Cincinnati to make the trip. I figured as much would happen, so I didn’t let it bother me too much when I never saw it on the carousel. Derek and I stopped at Target on the way back to his place for a toothbrush and other essentials and hopefully I will have my bag early tomorrow morning.

Derek had texted me earlier asking what I wanted for dinner and I responded with ‘vegetables! vegetables! vegetables!’ He stocked up on every vegetable imaginable and I roasted a big batch of veggies as soon as I walked in the door.

I coated the veggie with marinara sauce and feasted on the vegetables I had been missing so dearly. :)

We have settled in for the night and now all I want is a pillow and a big bed.

Cross your fingers my bag finds its way to Tampa soon!

Good night!

1 Kara (@ Kara's Marathon) February 12, 2010 at 10:43 pm

Glad you made it home safe, but sorry the trip was such an adventure! Isn’t someone picking you up at the airport the best thing ever? :)

Enjoy your valentine’s day weekend!

2 Evan Thomas February 12, 2010 at 10:44 pm

First class sounds exciting! Never had that before.
Sounds like Derek was a good order taker and chef tonight :-)

3 Kath February 12, 2010 at 10:51 pm

Yay Biscoff :)

4 Jayce February 12, 2010 at 10:51 pm

Isn’t first class amazing!? My husband and I were randomly upgraded on our way to Aruba for our honeymoon, and we were in heaven! They served me the best White Russian I’ve ever had, and the food and service were great. Probably will never experience that again, but it sure was fun. :)

5 Madeline - Greens and Jeans February 12, 2010 at 10:57 pm

First class?! Lucky girl! I always get stuck next to screaming babies…

6 Can You Stay for Dinner February 12, 2010 at 11:02 pm

What a day! I love your positivity about it all though. And first class ain’t too shabby!

7 Matt February 12, 2010 at 11:05 pm

That sucks about your bag! Have fun with Derek :)

8 kt February 12, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Haha I’m always that person holding everybody up by trying to squeeze a way-too-big bag into the overhead compartment. Oooops. Roasted veggies + marinara is my favorite way to eat ‘em!

9 Dori February 12, 2010 at 11:43 pm

VEGETABLES??! Can’t you enjoy your vacation without worrying about vegetable? That’s crazy talk! Haha. Ummm what is first class like? Never been. Also, I’m drunk.

So glad I got to see you 3 times!

10 learningtocookeatandenjoydeliciousfood February 12, 2010 at 11:49 pm

Sounds like something that would happen to my family… we always get to our final destination and our bags arent there, for example when I went to England in October, My bags were left in Chicago so I had to wait for 24hours until I got my stuff!! It make we quite ANGRY!!
Have a GREAT VALENTINES with DEREK!!

11 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) February 13, 2010 at 12:42 am

Great, healthy travel eats!! I haven’t flown Delta in forever–I want some biscoff :)

Hooray for home sweet home!

12 Emilyeatsclean February 13, 2010 at 12:57 am

Glad you’re safe and sound back in FL. Hope your bag makes it back to FL soon too!! What a great week you’ve had, I’ve enjoyed reading (and envying) your all-expense paid vaca! :)

-emily http://www.emilyeatsclean.wordpress.com

13 Jamie February 13, 2010 at 1:37 am

jeeez, what a day! so glad you made it on your connecting flight and at least they will deliver your delayed bag directly to your house! (silver lining?) and I loooove veggies with marinara: yummy way to get some green

14 Karla February 13, 2010 at 1:39 am

Glad you made it home safely! Bummer your bag is lost but you are back home so that’s good! Have a great weekend!!

15 One Healthy Apple February 13, 2010 at 2:11 am

Flight delays are the worst, but it’s great that you got home safe! Have a great weekend!

16 foodfitnessandfreya February 13, 2010 at 4:19 am

Oh gosh, so much stress! Well done for coping! 10 minutes into waiting for the late 1st flight and I’d have been in floods, so kudos to you for holding it together :)
(and what a lovely bf you have!)
Hope you get your bag back :s

17 sj February 13, 2010 at 4:39 am

yikes what a travel day! that’s so weird you went in and out of security at cincy!? I fly there all the time between different airlines, usually just take the tram to the terminals. Interesting.

18 Tiffany February 13, 2010 at 8:36 am

wow, first class!! i think that totally makes up for the first plane’s delay AND the late bag. :D i’ve never flown first class before and it always looks so posh haha. glad you’re back home!

19 Heather February 13, 2010 at 8:48 am

Whew what an adventure! Home sweet Florida :) I always crave vegetables after a trip :)

20 tramey1 February 13, 2010 at 9:08 am

your trip sounded amazing!!!! I am insanely jealous :-D

21 rachelkrejci February 13, 2010 at 9:52 am

Whoa! What a stressful trip. It sounds like you handled it marvelously though. Glad you are safely back in FL and I hope your bag catches up with you today! Enjoy your valentine’s weekend :)

22 Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle February 13, 2010 at 10:12 am

Oh man, too bad about the bag but that is AWESOME about being bumped!! It’s fun (happened once to me)!

23 Morgan February 13, 2010 at 10:14 am

Yay for first class! Glad you made it home safe, even if you bag didn’t

24 theprocessofhealing February 13, 2010 at 10:17 am

Aw girl that’s too bad about your bag! But at least you got first class! Woo!

25 kristilyn February 13, 2010 at 10:27 am

I’m happy to hear you made it home safe … your luggage must be having a good time! LOL! I’ve never been in first class before but I’m sure I would like it. :-)

K

26 biz319 February 13, 2010 at 10:28 am

Glad you made it to Derek all in one piece – what a week you had! :D

27 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday February 13, 2010 at 12:59 pm

I’ve ALWAYS wanted to fly first class. Ahhh the luxury!

28 Jo February 13, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Gosh glad you got back safely – shame about the bag. Whenever I have stayed in a hotel for more than a few days I crave veggies when I get home. Your veggies and sauce looks great!