more ยป" />

Core Fusion & Amy's Bread

by Meghann on February 12, 2010

Welcome to my last day in NYC!

If all goes according to plan I should be back in Florida by this evening. Its been fun NYC, but I’ve got plans this weekend that can simply not be missed. :)

My friend Dori has been taking part in a Core Fusion Challenge where she committed to taking exhale’s Core Fusion classes 4-5 times a week for 30 days. She has seen great results and has fallen in love with the class. And since I just happened to be stuck in NYC a little longer than expected she invited me to join a Core Fusion class this morning.

CF 005.jpg

Missy from Missy Maintains joined us as well. After a year of reading her blog it was great to finally have the chance to meet her!

CF 004.jpg

Bloggers are always so much shorter than I imagined. I pictured Missy as 5’6″ or 5’7″ but she was just as tall as me!

CF 007.jpg

Core Fusion is a toning class that incorporates pilates, weights, and other various forms of works outs for an intense hour session of sweat. The class was a challenge and I was literally shaking at the end.

Our class was small with only 4 people and I appreciated the one on one attention provided by the instructor who made sure to introduce herself and learn all our names before class. She was really encouraging and high spirited.

Apparently they opened some studios in South Florida and are expanding. If they ever make there way to Orlando I will be sure to sign up! In the mean time Dori gave me a DVD that will be sure to kick my booty in the comfort of my own living room!

Many thanks to Dori and Missy for introducing me to Core Fusion! Loved it ladies!

After the class my Mom and I headed to Chelsea Market for our last breakfast together at Amy’s Bread.

All the selections looked tasty and my Mom and I couldn’t wait to place out orders, but thats about as far as our excitement went.

First of all my Mom tried to order the Manhatten Breakfast special which came with two twists, a jam, and a coffee. The lady that took our order must have misunderstood her because despite there being a lovely basket of twists right in front of us, she told us they were out and only had baguettes? My Mom gave up and got a muffin instead.

Then my Mom ordered a coffee and I ordered a medium black tea. We paid, a coffee was sat in front of and the lady said our cappuccino would be ready in a minute.

Capp-a- what? We didn’t order a cappuccino.

The lady then proceeded to tell us we did and the whole situation turned into a game of ‘he said/she said.’ She was not going down without a fight.

This is the point where I looked down and saw the $3.50 charge for a cappuccino on my receipt. I asked for a refund and the lady continued to argue with me that she was giving us free coffee (we had already paid for the one coffee) and that it was only a 75 cent difference (the tea was $1.10) so there would be no refund. Oh and did I mention she was still saying that she was right, we were wrong, and she was rolling her eye the whole time. The nerve!

Finally a manager stepped in and told the lady to get my tea and he would refund the money. Not once did he apologize, nor did he even offer us the tea on the house. Instead he gave us the $2.75 difference between the tea and the cappucino and told us to move out of the line so that other customers could pay.

I was fuming!! And THEN the lady brought me the tea and had the NERVE to ask me if I had paid for the tea before handing it over! I quickly grabbed the tea and ran out of the place stating I was never coming back again.

I then immediately tweeted about the incident and fought every urge inside of me to go back inside and throw my scone at the lady. I swear I am usually a calm and rational person, but the whole experience left me so angry. I think what made it worse was that my Mom , who is so sweet and doesn’t have a rude bone in her body, was almost in tears by the way they were treating us. I would have done anything possible in that moment just to defend my Mom. They had no right to make her that upset.

To top it all off the scone I had ordered was actually really scrumptious.

Such a shame as I am never stepping foot in an Amy’s Bread again.

Sorry, I just had to vent about the whole situation. I’m actually still really mad about everything. What an awful sour note to leave NYC on. I will try not to let it let me down.

Instead I will focus on the fact that I will get to see Derek in a a few more hours. That is a much happier thought!

Adios New York! Its been fun and I promise to visit again very soon!!!!

1 megan February 12, 2010 at 11:34 am

wow that is crazy!! don’t they know that the customer is always right?? What did she have to gain by arguing with you? that would make me mad too!

2 Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete February 12, 2010 at 11:35 am

How rude!! And by you tweeting about it, the word will get out. Businesses really need to think about how fast word of mouth travels!!

Be safe traveling! ;)

3 BethT February 12, 2010 at 11:36 am

Sorry for your bad experience, but it really isn’t NY until a cashier yells at you! :) I’ve had some bad experiences in many a bagel joint – either I was ordering too slow, or ordering the wrong way, or annoying people in general. Vote with your feet and don’t go back! Send them an email, too.

4 Lindsey @ Sound Eats February 12, 2010 at 11:42 am

Yeah, I’d send an email with a link to this post/ review, and also include your blog stats and the fact that you were in NY in the first place for a blogging opportunity.

5 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday February 12, 2010 at 11:49 am

Lindsey is right. That will really show them that they have to treat ALL customers with respect. You never know who you’re serving.

6 Molly @thevegandorm February 12, 2010 at 11:36 am

How miserable! I can’t believe they were so rude!

7 Teri February 12, 2010 at 11:36 am

I’m so sorry! That is terrible!

I really want to try the Core Fusion workouts. I added all the DVDs to my Amazon Wish List. :)

8 eatinggreenstayinglean February 12, 2010 at 11:38 am

The core workout sounds great, maybe I’ll have to do a little Amazon shopping later… :)

And sorry about that lady, yikes! Sometimes it’s so hard to keep your calm when certain people just don’t listen to you. Totally understandable tho.

9 Jacquie February 12, 2010 at 11:38 am

I’m sorry about your experience. Even though people think New Yorkers are rude, they’re usually not bad at all. That’s just plain, bad customer service. I hope it didn’t leave too much of a dent in your vacation and have a safe flight home!

10 Lindsey @ Sound Eats February 12, 2010 at 11:40 am

What happened to good customer service and “the customer is always right”? I’ve been in situations like that before, and I agree – infuriating, and definitely sways you from ever going back. :( So sorry!

I think I remember what your weekend plans are though – you’ll be sure to have fun with Derek! :)

11 Beth (Mackattack) February 12, 2010 at 11:42 am

bad customer service is THE WORST. Sorry you’re ending your trip on a sour note :(

12 gina February 12, 2010 at 11:44 am

I am sorry to hear about the Amy’s Bread experience. I always loved their breads but have never been to the Chelsea Market location. It is almost a shame that the breads are so good! Also, your love for your mother is so sweet.

Core Fusion looks awesome, my sister who makes the big bucks does it all the time. Do Dori and Missy get a cheaper multi-pass package?

13 caitlin February 12, 2010 at 11:48 am

send this to their pr department!

14 Steph February 12, 2010 at 11:49 am

Wow what an awful experience. Some people just obviously really hate their jobs. It’s too bad they take it out on others.

I hope you don’t let it ruin your last day in NYC though!!

15 Marisa (Loser for Life) February 12, 2010 at 11:51 am

That is ridiculous! Sorry that happened; I would have been fuming, too!

Core fusion sounds so cool. I saw a quick video snippet and it looks HARD!

16 Missy Maintains February 12, 2010 at 11:52 am

Nice meeting you! Glad you enjoyed the class! Sorry about Amy’s Bread! Such awful customer service. I walk by there all the time but never tried it. I won’t give them any business now!

17 Can You Stay for Dinner February 12, 2010 at 11:53 am

You have every right to be angry. I was a waitress years ago and it’s generally the policy that the customer is always right. Even if you had mistakenly said cappuccino, there was no need for the lady to fight you on it. I hope the rest of your day improves! Great workout this morning!

18 Reenie February 12, 2010 at 11:53 am

WOW…….very rude of them. I can’t stand rude people!!!

19 Kelly February 12, 2010 at 11:56 am

Ugh, what an awful experience! I have sometimes found that SOME, not ALL by any means, NYC workers can be rude. I think it comes from dealing with some rude customers also. Going to college in the south, I learned how much friendlier people are!

20 Sheri February 12, 2010 at 11:56 am

I would have been angry too! Bad customer service is the worst! But I really do hope you have a great last day in NYC. I LOVE the city it is the best!

21 kirsten February 12, 2010 at 11:57 am

ughhhh so annoying. I get so upset when stuff like that happens. In NYC I got into a little altercation at an Indian restaurant with a staff person and he actually called me a mother fu**er and some other ridiculous things. I was SO in shock I couldn’t even yell back.

You should definitely send an email to Amy’s Bread corporate headquarters explaining the whole situation. Employees should not be allowed to treat customers like that!!

22 Erin February 12, 2010 at 11:59 am

Ugh, I hate when condescending staff at any place — or condescending patrons. She may have just misunderstood you but that doesn’t mean she had to be rude about it. She should have admitted she made a mistake, refunded the money and carried on. It probably happens every day.

23 Alison February 12, 2010 at 11:59 am

I’m sorry your trip is ending on a sour note; it’s hard not to get defensive when your mom is so upset.
I would definitely email the company; people in customer service oriented jobs should not treat customers in that manner.
Have a safe trip back to Florida.

24 Heather (Heather's Dish) February 12, 2010 at 11:59 am

that’s horrible! i mean, there are times when the customer isn’t right, but you ladies certainly were…besides, if it was only a 75 cent difference then what the heck did they care? i probably won’t be going there either…

hope you ladies have a great day today though!

25 Kelly February 12, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Sorry Meghann! I know you never would have ordered a cappuccino. Someone said that already that it wouldn’t be NYC if a cashier didn’t yell at you. Forget about it and enjoy the rest of your time there.

26 Katy ( The Balanced Foodie ) February 12, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Please, please, please contact the head honchos at Amy’s they need to know, I agree with Lindsey on sending stats and everything. I want to write them and tell them that because of your experience I won’t be going either. That’s so disrespectful!

27 Julie @ Wearing Mascara February 12, 2010 at 12:12 pm

That’s awesome you had such a great class!

Maybe emailing a link to this blog post to the restaurant manager…? :-)

28 Becky February 12, 2010 at 12:12 pm

What a bitch! I live in NYC so I’m not surprised. I had really bad experiences at our local library—who is mean at the library?!?! One clerk screamed at me that she couldn’t help me and it’s not her problem that I didn’t have my ID to change the pin on my card. Meanwhile, I had just asked a simple question. The second woman got pissed because I didn’t know how to use the new check out system and started tossing the books all over the place and was like don’t touch that, shaking her head and saying comments under her breath. We asked for a bag and she rips her arm backwards and says over here get it yourself. At which point I said, why does the library even bother to hire anyone- what the hell do they do, just act like assholes! Hahaha she heard me too and I didn’t feel bad about it!

29 LongTimeReader February 12, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Hi Meghann! I’m so sorry about your experience at Amy’s Bread. It’s such an awful feeling when people are rude, especially to your mom! You played it much more cool than I would have, I hope you feel better. Just wanted to throw out some love/support. I actually used to live by Amy’s and know how yummy some of their food is, but not worth it if they are going to treat customers like that!!

30 Sammi February 12, 2010 at 12:22 pm

I think my jaw was on the floor the whole time I was reading that. That’s ridiculous! What happened to “the customer is always right”? At my work, we apologize like crazy even when the customer is actually wrong, so that’s pretty bad that they weren’t apologizing when THEY were wrong. Those are the kinds of stories that give NY it’s reputation for being rude. :(

31 Fallon February 12, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Wow that is awful! Definitely not good customer service at all. I’m sorry to hear about that but don’t let that ruin anything. Some New Yorker’s have an attitude ;) I should know since my mother was born and raised there. Just goes with the territory!

32 rebecca lustig February 12, 2010 at 12:25 pm

OH NO. That’s terrible, but I’m glad you stuck up for yourself and your own values.

YOU.GO.GIRL.

have a fabulous friday

33 Grace February 12, 2010 at 12:25 pm

It’s a shame that just because their store was busy that their staff thinks they can get away with bad behavior (including lying) and also treating their customers like crap. Do they really feel that entitled? UGH. Well, I’m glad that seems to be the only New York establishment that treated you that way during your stay, at least! I’m sure karma won’t pass over Amy’s Bread (boo! hiss!).

34 AprilBRuns February 12, 2010 at 12:26 pm

I’m so sorry that they treated you and your mom like that. I would be angry too. :(

35 rebecca February 12, 2010 at 12:27 pm

this is NYC. people are bitchy here, and do not care.

36 Sana February 12, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Really surprised by your experience. I actually live near Amy’s bread in hell’s kitchen and everyone is always really really polite and accommodating, even when it gets ridiculously crowded.

37 Hangry Pants February 12, 2010 at 12:54 pm

As much as I love NY and the restaurants some of the worst and rudest service has been in small places like that there. It’s obnoxious.

38 foodfitnessandfreya February 12, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Oh that sounds so frustrating!! No wonder you were fuming! Haha it would have made the situation mildly alright if the food had been skank…aah well! At least you did get your money in the end. It’s just a shame when shop workers don’t abide by the ‘customer is always right’ rule :P
Enjoy your last day!

39 islandgirleats February 12, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Wow! What ever happened to ‘the customer is always right?’ I would have been the same if someone had said that to my Mom.

40 Kate February 12, 2010 at 1:25 pm

That is absolutely ridiculous! It’s one of those “is this REALLY happening?” moments! Try to block this out and remember the rest of your extended trip to NYC instead! :)

41 Quinn February 12, 2010 at 1:29 pm

That’s AWFUL! Horrible service, and I will always remember never to go into an Amy’s Bread. I’ll also spread the word myself. Boycott!

Glad you have had fun otherwise though while stuck in Manhattan!

42 kt February 12, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Doesn’t it suck that something like that can ruin your whole restaurant experience? When something like this happens to me it ruins my whole day! Clearly I need to spend less time wallowing lol. I’m sure if the higher-ups heard about it some employees would get an idea of how to treat customers!

43 Katie February 12, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Oh my! Bad service AND an attitude really burns my britches. It’s hard to let it go, but try to enjoy the rest of your day.

44 june February 12, 2010 at 2:17 pm

MAGNOLIA BAKERY ROCKS!! its the one Carrie Bradshaw and gal pals always ate at on Sex and the City!!!! when i went to run the nyc marathon in 2008 i HAD to go there…

now i HAVE HAVE HAVE to go to the Hummus Place…wonder if they deliver to Texas????

45 theprocessofhealing February 12, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Oh wow. Girl, I would’ve let the lady have a piece of my mind. It’s one thing to make yourself angry but when someone crosses the line and upsets your mom?! Yeah…
The scone does look yummy though..

46 Matt February 12, 2010 at 2:46 pm

I would have slapped that lady in the face ;)

47 Helena February 12, 2010 at 2:54 pm

The thought of a scone flying across the bakery to the cashier made me lol. Some people are just not meant to do customer service!

48 Tracy February 12, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Sadly, that’s NYC for you. I moved here 1 1/2 years ago from the Midwest and was flabbergasted by the rudeness of everyone around me. To this day, I still can’t stand many (though not all) New Yorkers. As soon as I’m done with school I’m outta here and back to the Midwest where people are polite and friendly…and know proper business etiquette!!

49 healthy ashley February 12, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Core Fusion looks awesome!!!

50 Elina February 12, 2010 at 3:43 pm

I used to go to Amy’s Bread in mid-town several times a week when I lived in NY. Their baked goods were absolutely my favorite and their grilled veggie/goat cheese sandwich got me obsessed with goat cheese. Sorry you had such a horrible experience. It really is a great cafe – sounds like customer service at the Chelsea Market is horrible though. At least your scone was yummy :)

51 Angela February 12, 2010 at 6:49 pm

Wow I can’t even believe that you got treated like that! I work at Starbucks and I would never ever talk to a customer like that even if I thought they were wrong, I would probably loose my job if I treated someone like that!

52 Heather @ Side of Sneakers February 12, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Oh I HATE when people are rude for NO good reason!!!! ARGGH!!! I hope you enjoyed your extra couple days in NYC even if it wasn’t planned that way!!

53 skinnyrunner February 12, 2010 at 7:23 pm

what an awful experience! i hate when stuff like that happens. whatever happened to “the customer’s always right”??

54 inmytummy February 12, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Bummer; I hate it when a place has bad service but good food.

55 meyergirl February 12, 2010 at 8:16 pm

I’m sorry about your bad experience today!! I had that kind of experience today about three times via government employees and I was in tears by the end. Some people just enjoy making others miserable.

56 Bridget February 12, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Don’t worry I’d be FUMING too!! I was getting angry just reading about it!!! Seriously you’d think the money was coming out of teh cashier’s pocket?! Hope you have a safe trip home :)

57 runningwithsass February 12, 2010 at 9:52 pm

I am so sorry about your bad experience at that place! How RUDE! The customer is always right! I can’t believe you were treated like that! Gosh i love the south lol.

58 jess February 12, 2010 at 9:59 pm

So I emailed the company the link to your entry. I think everyone deserves a second chance. Maybe they will redeem themselves.

59 justjac February 12, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Sorry you had such a bad experience! Sometimes NYC can be known for high-stress including their workers…they have so many people to get through.. it DOESNT excuse this, though. I’m sorry you ahd to deal with such rude service!

60 wholesomefoodie February 12, 2010 at 11:20 pm

Ahhhh!!! I am furious for you!

Here is the web address of Amy’s Bread…there is a contact e-mail on the bottom. Please let them know about how bad your service was!!!!

No one should be treated that way.

61 Lisa February 12, 2010 at 11:27 pm

You have got to be kidding me, you are in NY, you can’t expect anyone to be nice. It actually scares me when people are nice here.

62 Dori February 12, 2010 at 11:46 pm

Thanks for coming to Core Fusion with me! The more I go the more I want to go back, it’s insane. The music could have been better today though. Amy’s Bread sounds dumb. I’ve never been and now I will never go and I LIVE IN NY DO YOU HEAR THAT AMY?!!

63 Dori February 12, 2010 at 11:47 pm

P.S. I’ve been writing in caps lately to better convey my point and the Twitter caps cops publicly called me out on it

64 Alicia February 13, 2010 at 7:05 am

Poor Meghann. I would have been so upset as well. It’s really shocking that the service staff was so rude!

It’s really a shame as the food at Amy’s bread is so delicious. I had two cupcakes from them and it was so yummy. Even better than Magnolia bakery. Only the frosting from Magnolia’s was good but the cupcake itself was dry. Amy’s was great!

65 kristilyn February 13, 2010 at 10:31 am

That is horrible! I don’t understand how some of these places think they can treat people so rudely, especially since these people they’re being rude to are bound to pass on the fact that they had a bad experience. Too bad the scone was delicious. :-(

K