more ยป" />

Snowed In

by Meghann on February 10, 2010

Looks like I’m snowed in.

Apparently the storm of the century was set to hit the northeast today.

Yesterday all flights out of the NYC area were canceled for today. I was on the phone with Jet Blue for TWO hours last night trying to get the earliest flight possible out of NYC. The guy I spoke with was slow as molasses and every time we found a flight it would fill up. It was awful.

I finally was able to get my Mom the last seat on a flight to Orlando on Saturday afternoon.

Derek and I have big plans on Saturday in Tampa that I knew I couldn’t miss. Once I realized there was no way I was going to make it Orlando in time to meet up with him, I switched gears and started looking for Tampa flights. Luckily my contact at Electrolux – who was originally in charge of my travel arrangements – was able to nail down a flight that would get me to Tampa by Friday evening.

I’m not going to let this minor set back ruin my vacation. I just happen to be in a position where I can work from where ever as long as I have my lap top and access to the internet. Plus the Electrolux people are amazing and covering all accommodations while we are stuck in NYC. Everything is going to be ok. ๐Ÿ™‚

Its such a shame my night ended last night with such bummer news because it was a perfect meeting before that. ๐Ÿ™‚

Sabrina, TIna, and I have been e-mailing back and forth for a month planning our post cake-off celebratory dinner. Sabrina got a tip that Spice Market in the meat packing district was amazing and immediately booked us a table.

As the event grew closer, our table grew larger. Tina’s friend Matt, my mom, Sabrina’s cousin and husband, and Megan joined us as well.

Our table of 8 was alive with conversation and celebration. Im really going to miss these ladies.

Spice Market is a beautiful Asian infused restaurant that prepares all their food fresh. Each dish is served as soon as it is prepared hot from the kitchen in a family style atmosphere.

Each person in the group selected a dish they wanted to and everyone had a little bite of everything. It was fabulous and delicious dining experience. Each dish tasted better than the last if that’s at all possible.

Spice Chicken Samosas with Cilantro Yogurt

Mussels Steamed with Lemongrass Thai Basil, Dried Chili

Striped Bass, Wok Fried Napa Cabbage, Waterchestnut and Cucumber

Coconut Sticky Rice Seamed in Banana Leaf

Nonya Seafood Laska, Gulf Shrimp and Scallop

Vegetables in Green Curry

Onion and Chili Crusted Short Ribs, Egg Noodles and Pea Shoots

What an absolutely amazing dining experience. ๐Ÿ™‚

This morning I was able to run out a little of my frustration over the flight situation by hitting the hotel gym. I ran a glorious 5 miles (I missed running) in just under 45 minutes on the gym’s treadmill.

Then my Mom, Megan (who is trapped in NYC too) and I headed across the street for breakfast.

I ordered the Strained Yogurt with Homemade Granola, Honey & Lemon Marmelade with a side of fresh fruit.

All together

It was a very refreshing breakfast. ๐Ÿ™‚

Time to Vote!!

Remember this masterpiece?

Here Comes the Sun FINAL CAKE.jpg

Looks aren’t everything, its the effort that really counts and damn it my team worked hard on our cake. ๐Ÿ™‚

Team Here Comes the Sun FINAL.jpg

Like what you see? Want to help support the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund? Well here is your chance!

Head to Kelly-Confidential.com now to vote for your favorite cake in Kelly’s Cake off for a Cause. Electrolux has pledged to donate $1 to OCRF for every vote counted.

So what are you waiting for? Support a a great cause and go out and vote for your favorite cake! And by ‘favorite’ I mean vote for ‘Here Comes the Sun’ because seriously our cake rocks!!!

1 Jess (Fit Chick in the City) February 10, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Sorry your missing your plans! So great of Electroluxe to continue to pay for your accommodations.

2 Runeatrepeat February 10, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Boo to being snowed in! I am currently stuck in my apartment and it looks miserable outside. Be careful ๐Ÿ™‚

3 megzzwinsatlife February 10, 2010 at 1:18 pm

I am voting right now!! NYC is fun in the snow!! although as I am looking out my window it looks like it has stopped!!! That is a shame your mom cannot get out till Sat! Well, enjoy your last couple of days here in the city and let me know if you need anything!

4 Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete February 10, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Oh man! I’m sorry you are snowed in! Like you said, at least you have your accommodations covered while you are there! Stay warm! You’ll be home soon!

5 Dori February 10, 2010 at 1:20 pm

So sorry you are stuck here. There are worse placed to be trapped though. ๐Ÿ™‚ Glad I will get to see you again! I’ve always wanted to try Spice Market but never have.

6 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 10, 2010 at 1:22 pm

that is so awesome they are paying for your hotel!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ Makes it so much more enjoyable that way.

Green Curry??? never knew they had that…interesting

7 Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction February 10, 2010 at 1:28 pm

It was great to meet you! Your pictures from your dinner last night are stunning!

8 Heather February 10, 2010 at 1:28 pm

those samosas look so mouthwatering and delicious! what a wonderful way to celebrate together ๐Ÿ™‚ hope your trip is going OK the rest of the time you’re there!

9 Ellen February 10, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Stinks that you’re stuck, but it seems to be the best of circumstances! Spice Market is great, and (since I think it’s right across the street from you) you should try out Fig & Olive. I love that place. Enjoy the snow before you head back to warmer temps ๐Ÿ™‚

10 foodfitnessandfreya February 10, 2010 at 1:41 pm

That restaurant looks incredible! It’s the spit of this amazing Moroccan one in London called Pacha – the food is served as soon as it’s done there too, and when I went we all just shared; it’s the way to do it!
So sorry about your flight though ๐Ÿ™
And I think your cake is the best of them ๐Ÿ˜€

11 alex February 10, 2010 at 1:46 pm

i love your shirt and black vest. Where are they from?

12 dianacheung February 10, 2010 at 1:47 pm

being stuck anywhere s*cks!!! ๐Ÿ™ At least you are in one of the best cities in the world!

13 theprocessofhealing February 10, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I’m sorry you’re stuck but look at this way: you are in NYC!! Can you imagine better places to be stuck?! And still able to work. AND having the costs of having to stay covered. Not too too shabby. But i’m sure if i was you i’d feel the same way.

Your meals look fantastic!! The cilantro yogurt..oh yum

14 megan February 10, 2010 at 2:10 pm

it actually sounds kind of fun to be snowed in! free place to stay, cool city, etc ๐Ÿ™‚

15 fromatopink February 10, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Glad you were able to figure out a way to get out of NYC! The storm is hitting Maryland HARD, so I’m glad NY seems to be handling it a little better. Have fun while you’re “stuck” ๐Ÿ™‚

16 Sarah February 10, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Gorgeous cake, you did such an amazing job! So happy to see a green cake, it’s my favorite color.

I so hope to get to meet with you, Sabrina, and Tina again sometime. You are amazing women and I didn’t get to know you as well as I could at the Foodbuzz Fest. I hope I get the opportunity before next November!

17 Evan Thomas February 10, 2010 at 2:31 pm

That strained yogurt dish looks RIDICULOUSLY good

18 Jacquie February 10, 2010 at 2:32 pm

I’m sorry you’re stuck, but at least snow days are fun and you’re taken cared of. You’re just lucky you’re not in the DC or Baltimore area. We already have 2 feet of snow and are getting slammed right now again with snow and terrible winds. I’m supposed to go to Texas on Friday and I don’t think thats going to happen at all. Stay warm and have fun!

19 Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle February 10, 2010 at 2:35 pm

oh man, i can’t even look at those delicious pictures right now- it’s so clsoe to lunch for me!! That’s too bad the flights are screwed up but at least it isn’t interfering too badly! Being stuck in NYC can have it’s upsides!

20 Jenna February 10, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Wow! I can’t beleive your mom has to wait all the way until saturday! But I am glad you got a flight for Friday!
Dinner looks great!!

21 Matt February 10, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Glad you could get on a flight! Traveling can be such a pain sometimes…

22 Madeline - Greens and Jeans February 10, 2010 at 2:51 pm

I was supposed to leave NYC yesterday but I am here until Friday! Crazy! I gotta agree with everyone else though, there are DEFINITELY worse places to be stuck!

23 Britt @ Runnerbelle February 10, 2010 at 2:57 pm

If you are looking for another breakfast place in NYC while you are trapped, I highly recommend Sarabeth’s Kitchen. So yummy!!

They have a couple of NYC locations. (they are also in Key West too!)

24 Erin February 10, 2010 at 3:30 pm

NYC is a great place to be snowed in since the city doesn’t ever shut down! Take advantage of your extra time here if you can!!

25 Anna February 10, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Good luck getting out of NYC!! I’m glad you found a flight to Tampa!

26 Heather @ (The Single Dish) February 10, 2010 at 3:40 pm

You are going to the best restaurants in town! Try Baby Cakes Bakery- I noticed you wanted Buddy to make a vegan cake!

27 Allison February 10, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Meghann,

I never comment, but your blog is such a joy to read. You have such and upbeat attitude about everything and such a healthy approach to life. As someone who is feeling a little trapped by all the snow in the DC area, reading this post really made me smile.

28 Kelly February 10, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Ugh what a mess! The entire East Coast from NYC to DC is practically shut down. I’ve been stuck in my house all day and the snow shows no sign of stopping. Glad you could find a flight out!

29 eaternotarunner February 10, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Hope you make it back! I’m trying to get to Florida from Boston….not an easy task….

30 rachelkrejci February 10, 2010 at 4:21 pm

You have such a great outlook on the situation. Enjoy your extended stay in NYC and try not to stress about getting back to FL.

31 Erin February 10, 2010 at 4:28 pm

The city looks beautiful and at least Extrolux is taking care of you while you’re stranded in NYC. There are definitely worse places in the world to be stuck! ๐Ÿ˜€ (we’re all stuck at home here in DC, with 3 feet of snow and counting on the ground)

32 Derek February 10, 2010 at 4:29 pm

I’m a little biased…you should come back to FL. I have Wicked tickets. ๐Ÿ™‚

33 Emilyeatsclean February 10, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Snowed in in NYC doesn’t sound like too terrible of a deal, especially when all hotel accomodations are taken care of. Thankfully you’re gonna be back in FL for your Saturday plans so enjoy your amazing opportunity and experience that so many of us other foodie bloggers are envious of!! Eat some more NYC deliciousness for all of us!! ๐Ÿ™‚

34 laura dishes February 10, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Definitely don’t stress… you’re in a cool city AND your hotel is covered. All things considered, it doesn’t get much better than that!

35 catms916 February 10, 2010 at 4:48 pm

I’m snowed in too!! Stinks you missed your flight though… good luck getting back to FL – hope it doesn’t mess up and Valentines Day plans!!

36 Heather February 10, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Glad you were able to figure all the flight stuff out eventually! Thank goodness Electrolux is being amazing about it- I couldn’t imagine paying for a almost week of NYC hotels!!

37 Niki @ Niki's Neverending Adventure February 10, 2010 at 5:10 pm

On the bright side, at least you are snowed in, in a fun city!! Glad you got your travel plans worked out!

38 abbynormally February 10, 2010 at 5:49 pm

I hope you get home safely!!!

39 kt February 10, 2010 at 6:01 pm

I think your cake looks great! Fondant kind of weirds me out, not gonna lie. It looks like plastic or something… it’s too perfect! But your cake actually looks edible and tasty!

40 Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 10, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Good work on finding an alternative flight….I hope that it all works out!
And what a wonderful looking dinner!!!!

41 Jocelyn February 10, 2010 at 6:29 pm

It’s so weird to me how everything shuts down in parts of the states when the snow comes ๐Ÿ™‚ We get A TON of snow..aka snowbanks taller then myself and everything still runs lol… oh well! Enjoy your last few days in nyc!

42 islandgirleats February 10, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Sorry to hear that you are stuck in NYC – not a bad city to be stuck in to be honest! Our friends from NYC were supposed to fly to Grand Cayman today and had to cancel their due to the snow. Bummer!

43 kristilyn February 10, 2010 at 7:10 pm

I saw the pictures over at Tina’s blog, but have to say it again – the food at that restaurant looks amazing!! Your cake is gorgeous, too!

K

44 Jenn February 10, 2010 at 7:13 pm

oh NYC already missed the storm of the century (last weekend) that hit the DC area…this one is just dessert ๐Ÿ™‚ You florida people are so wimpy about the weather!!

45 Meghann February 10, 2010 at 9:34 pm

I should have put ‘snow of a century’ in quotes so everyone would get the sarcasm ๐Ÿ™‚

46 Karla February 10, 2010 at 7:15 pm

Sorry to hear you’re snowed in, but look at the bright side! NYC is a great place to be stuck in ๐Ÿ™‚
We got a ton of snow up here in Upstate NY as well! Same snow without all the NYC fun!

47 Tina February 10, 2010 at 7:35 pm

I just LOLed at your comment about the “storm of the century!”

48 eatinggreenstayinglean February 10, 2010 at 7:40 pm

First of all, that strained yogurt looks AMAZING! Second of all, it’s so funny how different states shut down so quickly due to a little bit of snow…I guess it’s different because I’ve lived in VT for most of my life, but still ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s also silly that DC has gotten more snow than we have!

Anyways, looks like a great day you had! The cake looks awesome!

49 Andrea February 10, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Meghann,
I’ve really really enjoyed seeing your trip to NYC! You seem to seize every opportunity and live in the moment, and I admire that. What are your plans for the rest of the week?
I live in Connecticut and we’re getting lots of snow too. I’m supposed to come to NYC tomorrow night to see a play so I hope the storm has subsided by then! Enjoy the rest of your stay!!
Andrea

50 Laura Georgina February 11, 2010 at 9:04 am

Nasty looking snow, but the boots are adorable! I know getting snowed in is not the best, but you’re definitely making the best of it and having a ball ๐Ÿ™‚