more ยป" />

The Spotted Pig

by Meghann on February 9, 2010

(Warning: I may have wrote this after one or two many drinks and am now trying to edit a wee bit hunger over. Please excuse any major typos. Thanks!)

Not only was it my birthday this evening, but it was also the kick off for the Electrolux blogger activities. Electrolux will be our hosts for the next couple of days and have arranged a couple of ice breakers as well as the official cake off event..

Electrolux did a fabulous job planning a cocktail hour at The Spotted Pig as our opening ice breaker. The 15 bloggers involved with the event gathered for drinks, food, and were able to get to know each other a little better.

The presentation of food was foodie blogger heaven!

They prepared the food right in front of us and it was amazing to see it all come together. ๐Ÿ™‚

Along with the food, there was an open bar calling my name. I had two glasses of cab throughout the event in celebration of my birthday.

On the menu:

• Devils on Horseback (prunes wrapped with pear and bacon)
  • Onion & Thyme Tarts
  • Chicken Liver Parfait with Onion Marmalade
  • Cheese Beignets with Smoked Paprika
  • Seared Beef Filet with Horseradish & Arugula
  • Hummus with Feta, Olives & Flatbread
  • Broccoli Rabe & Roast Garlic Fritattta
  • Crispy Duck Confit with Cabbage
  • Six Root Vegetable Soup

I am pretty sure I had at least one bite of everything and have nothing negative to say about any of it. It was all delicious and the perfect birthday supper. ๐Ÿ™‚

April Bloomfield from The Spotted Pig did a FABULOUS job as our chef for the evening.

She was even kind enough to conduct two demos for the ending.

The first was for a vegetable root soup.

The soup was incredible. It was thick and creamy. Amazing. ๐Ÿ™‚

Next we learned the Crispy Duck Confit with Cabbage.

It was a gorgeous plate of food. ๐Ÿ™‚

Can you believe this was Sabrina’s first time trying duck?!?!

Afterwards we ate we packed up and headed back to the hotel bar for some drinks and laughs.

I sipped on a Barcardi Chapagne Mojito (AMAZING) and a club soda.

We planned to do a food exchange where each blogger was asked to bring an item from their region of the country and trade it with each other.

I didn’t have time to find something special from Florida, but Ryan (the girl from Foodbuzz ๐Ÿ™‚ ) was kind enough to let me use her gift for the exchange since it was my birthday. Thanks Ryan!

Ironically even though I drew her name from the bucket and ended up with her prize!

Amazing Carmels from Sweet Revolutions in San Francisco! Yum!

I ate two and shared the rest. These are the world’s most perfect carmels. They were sweet and salty and the perfect amount of richness.

I have 15 minutes left in my 25th birthday and a few hours left until Regis and Kelly! ๐Ÿ™‚

Good Night!!!

1 Jessica Livingston February 9, 2010 at 12:59 am

You wrote, “can you believe it’s so and so’s first time trying suck” … I’m assuming you meant Duck! LOL

2 Jessica February 9, 2010 at 7:35 am

That typo just made my morning! ๐Ÿ™‚

3 Paige February 9, 2010 at 8:15 am

Ha I LOLed at that one!

4 Lacey February 9, 2010 at 1:00 am

Everything looks amazing- a great bday celebration!! Btw, Sabrina sounds a bit sheltered (sorry to pick, but that is the most hilarious “typo” I’ve ever read!!!)

Good luck tomorrow! Btw, are you nervous or just excited?

5 Julie @ Wearing Mascara February 9, 2010 at 1:07 am

How fun! I love your outfit. You guys all look so happy and well fed ๐Ÿ™‚ The food looks amazzzing. Have a great night!

6 Running on Faith February 9, 2010 at 1:37 am

After years of living in the city, I had never been to the spotted pig!! Looks like such a fabulous way to end your birthday. ๐Ÿ™‚ HAVE so much FUN tomorrow!!

7 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) February 9, 2010 at 1:37 am

What a fabulous way to celebrate your birthday!!! It’s as if the feast and prezzies were all for you ๐Ÿ™‚

8 Run Sarah February 9, 2010 at 1:45 am

How awesome – what an amazing spread! Your dress is gorgeous too – where is it from?

9 kt February 9, 2010 at 1:53 am

That looks like so much fun! Also, your camera takes some amaaazing photos, I want one so bad!

10 Holly February 9, 2010 at 2:43 am

I think you made your best ever typos in this entry! I would love to try some confit suck and some heart camels! hahahahahaha!

Happy Birthday Meghann. ๐Ÿ™‚

11 tiffnie February 9, 2010 at 2:49 am

I’m sorry, but I can’t stop laughing at ‘confit suck’ ;P You look smokin’ hot in your outfit! Love the dress and boots!!! Can’t wait to see your outfit for tomorrow!

12 foodfitnessandfreya February 9, 2010 at 3:52 am

Hah you’re birthday just got better and better, what a great evening! All that food looks sooo delicious..a real foodie’s paradise! I’m glad you had such a good time ๐Ÿ™‚

13 starstruk February 9, 2010 at 6:57 am

I LOVED meeting you at the Summit and I read your blog faithfully. Yes, your typos are sometimes really cute, but it makes your blog hard to read. Have you tried reading through once after you run spell check and before you post? Not trying to be mean, just constructive. As I said, you are on my blog roll and in my Google Reader, so I am always reading.

14 crunchygranolagal February 9, 2010 at 7:24 am

i have yet to get to the spotted pig, but it looks amazing! what a fun birthday! new york is the best place to celebrate, in my humble opinion. ๐Ÿ™‚

15 Tiffany February 9, 2010 at 7:48 am

wow, all of that food looks crazy good — what a way to spend your birthday in style! ๐Ÿ˜€ Hope you have TONS of fun today with Kelly!! Sooooo jealous!

16 Fit Chick in the City February 9, 2010 at 7:58 am

Happy Birthday! What a great day, you’ve had! I think I may take my husband to the spotted pig for his birthday next week. Have fun at Regis and Kelly tomorrow.

17 Karla February 9, 2010 at 8:26 am

What a great birthday! Sounds like you had a ton of fun!! Food looks delicious!!

18 Ali February 9, 2010 at 8:37 am

Looks like you had a fantastic birthday! I have blogged after a few drinks and made some typos, no biggy your human! Have a great rest of your trip, can’t wait to read more about it.

19 dianacheung February 9, 2010 at 8:43 am

HOLY MOLY. What a great set up they had for you!! Extremely jealous and the gift exchange is such a neat idea!

20 Jamie (Food in Real Life) February 9, 2010 at 8:46 am

Looks like SO much fun! Love your outfit!

21 Jenna February 9, 2010 at 8:50 am

What a great way to spend your birthday!!
Are you going to actually be on the show??!!

22 Derek February 9, 2010 at 9:09 am

haha, niiiiice. So you’re saying you celebrated your bday the right way?? =)

23 Amanda @ The Hungry Wanderers February 9, 2010 at 9:14 am

The Spotted Pig is so delish! What a great way to celebrate your birthday and kickoff to the Electrolux event ๐Ÿ™‚

P.S. I’m really loving your hair cut and color. Your photos of you have just been so fab recently!

24 GwenniePie February 9, 2010 at 9:19 am

Agreed with Amanda – I love the hair cut! Was thinking that scrolling through yours and Tina’s pictures!

I’m going to run to the gym and watch for you all in the audience on Regis and Kelly!

25 Lacey February 9, 2010 at 10:17 am

I’m DVR’ing the show just for that reason- reading Meghann’s blog is like knowing a celebrity!

26 Anne P February 9, 2010 at 9:23 am

Just wanted to make sure I wished you a happy birthday!!! It sure looks like a great one ๐Ÿ™‚

27 Kelly February 9, 2010 at 9:30 am

Super cute birthday outfit! Everything looks so delicious, and like a great time

28 Alyssa February 9, 2010 at 10:06 am

Wow – I love your dress and you look just fantastic! Glad you had a great birthday – there’s nothing wrong with being a little tipsy, especially on your birthday! I’m glad you liked the frozen hot chocolate at serendipity – my mom, sister, aunt and I looked forward to going there for months then were completely unimpressed. Enjoy Kelly today!

29 Danielle February 9, 2010 at 10:06 am

I’m kind of disappointed I missed the drunk typos! Too funny ๐Ÿ™‚

LOVE your outfit!

30 MEG C. February 9, 2010 at 10:17 am

aw boo, you edited the part where you said it was sabrina’s first time trying suck. that was hilarious!!! haha

31 RhodeyGirlTests February 9, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Yeah, I’ve never tried suck before. I’m a bit sheltered haha

32 Heather February 9, 2010 at 10:18 am

MM such good food!! Looks like a fun way to spend your bday ๐Ÿ™‚

33 eaternotarunner February 9, 2010 at 10:19 am

Looks like such an amazing night (and birthday)!!!

34 Cait (Cait's Plate) February 9, 2010 at 10:21 am

Oh yay!! I’m glad you had such a fun night to wrap up your 25th! It’s so funny to see all you bloggers around all the places that I go all the time! FINALLY you guys are out of the south in the city!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Hope you enjoy the rest of your NYC trip!

And I’m so with ya on 25 being a great year – I have that feeling too ๐Ÿ˜€

35 Catherine February 9, 2010 at 10:30 am

OMG looove the Spotted Pig!! Glad you’re enjoying yourself in my ‘hood. ๐Ÿ™‚ Happy belated bday!!

36 skinnyrunner February 9, 2010 at 11:06 am

what a perfectly amazing birthday dinner and evening!

37 eatinggreenstayinglean February 9, 2010 at 11:13 am

This looks like such a GREAT night! Glad to see you had an awesome, active, fun-filled birthday full of good eats!

38 islandgirleats February 9, 2010 at 11:36 am

I hope that you had a great birthday!

I wish that I was at that party – the food looked AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

39 Heather February 9, 2010 at 11:44 am

what an amazing night! everything looks amazing, and you guys look like you’re having the best time ๐Ÿ™‚

40 Teri [a foodie stays fit] February 9, 2010 at 11:45 am

That menu sounds incredible and I LOVE your dress! I’m so happy you had such a wonderful 25th birthday!

41 DiningAndDishing February 9, 2010 at 11:53 am

Looks like you had some amazing birthday food and drinks!! THAT is the way to celebrate ๐Ÿ™‚

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

42 brandi February 9, 2010 at 12:09 pm

what an awesome ending to your birthday! the meal sounds FANTASTIC

43 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) February 9, 2010 at 12:21 pm

What a wonderful way to spend your birthday! ๐Ÿ™‚

44 runningwithsass February 9, 2010 at 12:40 pm

looks like you had a blast for your birthday, how fun!!!
do you feel any different being 25?

45 Emily February 9, 2010 at 12:51 pm

OMG, you went to the Spotted Pig! It is hands down my favorite restaurant in NYC. I know the manager and try to go every time I’m in the city.

Btw, if you happen to go back, ask the manager to pick your food and your wine for the evening. You won’t be disappointed, I promise. He is AMAZING at figuring out exactly the right flavors!

46 Kristen February 9, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Happy Birthday!

And how cool, I was just in that part of NYC last week for a business trip.

I HIGHLY recommend you try Magnolia Bakery before deciding which cupcakes are the best in NYC…that is by far my favorite – the classic vanilla are the best! It’s just down the street from Rockefeller Center and on the same block as Radio City Music Hall (on Avenue of the Americas).

The cupcakes are so good I ate 4 of them while I was in NY!!
Kristen

47 Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle February 9, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Any idea what was in the champagne mimosa?! I enjoy both of those drinks alone so probs amazing together. All of the food and wine looks so good- what an incredible trip!

48 Brittany February 9, 2010 at 1:51 pm

What a great way to celebrate your b-day. It looks like you all had a blast!!!

The root vegetable soup is calling my name!

49 Angela February 9, 2010 at 2:27 pm

That looks like so much fun! You look so cute, I love that dress!