My Morning with Regis and Kelly

by Meghann on February 9, 2010

I’m not going to lie – after two glasses of wine and one fabulous mojito last night it took every bit of energy inside of me to crawl out of bed this morning. My body was not happy with me and I believe the phrase “I’m never drinking again” may have escaped my mouth a couple of times. I guess that just goes to show I celebrated my 25th birthday up right last night. πŸ˜‰

After a little damage control on the blog (friends should not let friends drink and blog), all I really wanted was a big healthy breakfast to counteract the effects of last night.

Luckily electrolux had a fabulous breakfast spread waiting for us all down stairs before out 7:00am car pick up to Live! with Regis and Kelly.

I couldn’t help, but smile when I saw all the delicious options available.

I went with a big bowl of fruit, granola, yogurt, and a little pastry that was calling my name.

You have no idea how much I missed this combination. πŸ™‚

With our bellies full and our headaches depleting it was time to make our way to the ABC studios for the live taping!

We were shoveled through metal detectors and placed in line.

My ticket!

Right before they let the audience file in they did a call out for anyone who wanted to audition to be the Go-Go GIrl for the day. A few other girls and I quickly raised our hands and were ushered backstage to audition.

Unfortunately no one in our group made the cut, but they did give us all preferential seating just for auditioning.

Megan from Megan’s Munchies (love this girl) scored second row seats in in the middle of the audience!

The best part about Live! was their very open camera policy. As long as our flashes were off we could take photos at any point during the show.

Sabrina and Tina filing in.

We were able to save them seats right next to us.

I thought it was cool that during the show some members of the production staff were on the sidelines tweeting away.

5 minutes before 9:00 Gelman came out and spoke with the audience on what our role was to be during the show. We were told to be enthusiastic and to follow his cues for applause and for went to not applause.

At 9:00am the show went live and Regis and Kelly took to the stage.

I bummed I didn’t win the Trivia a Go-Go contest. I was #132 and the winner was #76, I believe?

DUring the commercials Regis and Kelly came and spoke with the audience. They were really nice and just as funny and quarky in person as they are on TV.

The only bummer part was most of the show had been previously recorded that we watched on the in studio screens.

This gave the studio hands a lot of down time it seemed.

Kelly Ripa returned to stage with a bag of All-Bran that she was snacking on right until they went live again.

The show ended with a chocolate segment

I was really bummed that they handed out all of the chocolate covered strawberries to the other side of the audience. However, I was able to catch a hershey kiss Regis and Kelly were throwing into the air.

At the end Regis and Kelly said their good byes and we were guided off of the set.

I had so much being a studio audience member. It was definitely a great opportunity that I was love to experience again and again. πŸ™‚

After Live! my Mom and I decided to explore the High Line near our hotel.

The High Line is a raised walkway through the meat packing district that has some amazing views.

I couldn’t stop taking photos!

We are all meeting downstairs at 12:30 and heading to our cake off! My stomach is a ball of nerves! I can’t wait!

I’ll be back later with all the details!! πŸ™‚

1 Heather February 9, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Oh.my.gosh, what a cool thing you’re getting to do! i’d LOVE to be a studio member at regis & kelly πŸ™‚ I love that you’re showing us all this amazing adventure πŸ™‚

2 Rachel @ Shedding It February 9, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Looks fun! I can’t believe that so much was pre-recorded though…who knew!?

3 Madeline - Greens and Jeans February 9, 2010 at 1:33 pm

What an awesome experience! Hope the cake helps your hangover! πŸ™‚

4 caitlin February 9, 2010 at 1:33 pm

yay it looks fun!

5 Amy February 9, 2010 at 1:38 pm

I’ve also mentioned once or twice of how I’m never going to drink again. My liver laughs and says, “yeah… I wish.” So then we decide to compromise and take it easy for a couple weeks before I do that to myself again… πŸ™‚

When I take my first trip to NYC (yeah, I’m lame and still haven’t been), I’m sooo going to see Regis and Kelly. Love them!

6 coconutjo February 9, 2010 at 1:43 pm

I love Kelly and Regis! That was a great show. I’m surprised the interview portion was already recorded.

7 Mary February 9, 2010 at 1:49 pm

What fun for you!! I love these pics!

8 Karla February 9, 2010 at 1:50 pm

How fun!! I’ve definitely had that I’m never drinking again feeling!
Can’t wait to see the recap of the cake off!!

9 Erin February 9, 2010 at 1:51 pm

What a bummer the interviews were already recorded — it still looks like a great time though. Enjoy every minute of this beautiful day in New York! πŸ™‚

10 brandi February 9, 2010 at 1:52 pm

how exciting! good luck with everything this afternoon! I can’t wait to read all about it.

11 Steph February 9, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Oh my god how fun!!! I can’t believe you were so close to Kelly Rippa and Regis! How exciting! πŸ™‚ To bad all the interviews were recorded…it would’ve been cool to see all the other celebraties.

I can’t wait to read the cake decorating recap!

12 kt February 9, 2010 at 1:54 pm

That’s crazy the interviews are pre-recorded, who knew? It looks like so much fun! I want to be part of a studio audience at some point… sadly, I never made it to Oprah when I lived in Chicago and now she’s leaving, and Conan’s gone!! I hope he’ll be back, that’s one audience I’m dying to be a part of!

13 Chloe February 9, 2010 at 1:57 pm

How fun! What a great way to spend the day after your birthday, I’d love to go to a show taping in New York!

14 Lacey February 9, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Wow! That is so crazy seeing everything up front and personal! What a great memory to make!

15 Ali February 9, 2010 at 1:59 pm

That looks like such a fun time!!! So cool!

16 secasey February 9, 2010 at 2:01 pm

oooooh I’m so jealous! I love Regis and Kelly! It looks like you had a blast!

17 theprocessofhealing February 9, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Good luck with the cake off!!!!

And I’m SO jealous of being on Regis and Kelly!! I love love love that show and it seems like such fun to be in the audience. I didn’t know the taping worked like that though, bummer πŸ™

18 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) February 9, 2010 at 2:07 pm

What a CRAZY COOL day you’ve had!!!! I love Regis and Kelly–so jealous. And Fage for breakfast!?

19 megan February 9, 2010 at 2:12 pm

It looks so fun!! I bet you’ll have a blast at the cake-off. Are you getting to know the other bloggers well? I’m sure you guys all have a lot in common!

20 Tiffany February 9, 2010 at 2:25 pm

SOOOO jealous!!!!! What an awesome experience! I’ve never been in the audience of a live taping before. I also didn’t know that even at the ‘live’ tapings, most of it is pre-recorded. How weird for a ‘live’ show haha. That breakfast spread looks out of this world, sososo good! Good luck at the cake off!!

21 Angela February 9, 2010 at 2:28 pm

I’m so jealous! I love Regis and Kelly! Looks like you had fun!

22 Jenna February 9, 2010 at 2:38 pm

What a great morning breaky and live with reg and kel! Super luckyyyy πŸ™‚

23 Kelly February 9, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Your pics of NY are so gorgeous. I really need to stop taking for granted all of my weekends there and take more photos. Enjoy that sunny day, starting in a few hours NYC is going to be buried in snow!

24 foodfitnessandfreya February 9, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Firstly – 2% Total Greek yogurt – MY ULTIMATE FAVOURITE! I have it EVERY day! Secondly, loovvee big breakfast buffets like that, they’re so well presented πŸ™‚
Thirdly, what an awesome day you had! I’d love to see a live taping of a show, it must be so cool! Very jealous here πŸ™‚
Hope the rest of your arvo is just as good πŸ˜€
(oh my, you’re having a great Bday week!)

25 eaternotarunner February 9, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Looks like so much fun, can’t wait to hear about the cakes!!

26 Anna February 9, 2010 at 3:11 pm

So cool!!! I watch Regis and Kelly every morning almost!!! lol– that cracks me up that Kelly eats All Bran between camera takes πŸ™‚

27 islandgirleats February 9, 2010 at 3:21 pm

I love Regis & Kelly. I got to see the show when I was in New York in 2003. They taped an extra segment to air at a later date when we were there – they brought on George Clooney! We all squealed with delight and excitement!

28 Heather February 9, 2010 at 3:21 pm

How cool to be able to see everything that was going on behind the scenes. And totally awesome you auditioned to be a go-go girl πŸ™‚

29 K February 9, 2010 at 4:05 pm

so jealous you got to see regis and kelly! I’ve been trying to get tickets forever!

I think it’s funny that 2 glasses of wine and 1 mojito made you so drunk. Has your tolerance gone down?

30 Caitlin February 9, 2010 at 4:13 pm

you must try a soft pretzel from a street vendor while in NYC! The cinammon toasted almonds are also amazing!

31 slowmiles February 9, 2010 at 4:22 pm

This trip seems so amazing. All these pictures on people’s blogs of Kelly make me think of her commercials!

32 Chloe @ Project Live Well February 9, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Great choice for breakfast!

I would seriously kill to see Regis & Kelly live, in person! So jealous of you guys.

Hangover? Haha…thats what birthdays & trips away are for. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

33 Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 9, 2010 at 5:48 pm

oh what fun! That is so cool that they let you take photos πŸ™‚

34 Jasmine @ Eat Move Write February 9, 2010 at 6:14 pm

I loved all your pictures! What a fun day!

35 skinnyrunner February 9, 2010 at 6:21 pm

what an amazing morning! i love kelly, she’s so tiny in your pics.

36 rebecca lustig February 9, 2010 at 6:36 pm

ahh I LOVE regis and kelly!! glad you had fun

Stay warm, lovely lady!
bec xo

37 Cassie February 9, 2010 at 7:31 pm

i’ve always wanted to walk along that path! did you know that the hotel that is behind your mom in that picture is famous for people getting nekkid in the windows? i heard that on the news once, and died laughing!!!

38 inmytummy February 9, 2010 at 8:00 pm

I have the same camera bag!

Looks like a fun birthday.

39 Emilyeatsclean February 9, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Sooo glad your sharing all your fun adventures with us!!! Looks like your having the BEST birthday ever!!!

40 Teri [a foodie stays fit] February 10, 2010 at 12:56 am

I’m glad to hear you like the High Line. I’ve always wanted to check it out on my NYC visits but haven’t. I’ll make sure to hit it next time!

41 dianacheung February 10, 2010 at 9:21 am

Hmmm..I’ve never been to high line!! I can’t believe I’ve never heard of it either! must go there to site see next time!

42 melissa February 10, 2010 at 12:28 pm

I’m so happy you are having such a great time in NYC. I just had to comment to tell you that you look absolutely stunning in your pictures. You look happy, healthy, and just glowing!!

43 kristilyn February 10, 2010 at 7:17 pm

That would have been so much fun! Too bad most of it was prerecorded – it would have been great to see some of the stars!

K