more ยป" />

Twenty-Five and Feeling Fine!

by Meghann on February 8, 2010

So far I am really digging this whole twenty-five business.

• I can now rent a car on my own
  • My car insurance just went down (I even got a $15 refund check in the mail last week for it)
  • It just sounds cool to say I am a ‘quarter of the century old’
  • Oh, and it just so happened that I am celebrating turning 25 in New York City! One of the best birthdays ever!! :)

Every morning I have a routine where I return from my runs and immediately turn my tv on to channel four where I listen to the Today Show as I get ready for work. I love waking up with Matt, Meredith, and Al and could think of no better way to spend the morning of my 25th birthday than meeting them live and in person!

We arrived at Rockafellar Center around 7:30 am and were able to watch some of the live shots from the outside looking in.

Then Al, Meredith and Matt came outside for roughly 15 minutes of shooting.

I was able to shake hands with all three of them. They were each very nice and made sure to shake hands with and say hi with every person standing outside. I was just sad that it never occured to me to get a photo with one of them!

Al said we looked like we were freezing (we were) and we told him we were all the way from Florida! My Mom also mentioned it was mine and Josh’s birthday and he wished us Happy Birthday. :)

We stayed at the Today Show just long enough to freeze out pa-tooties off! We needed a place to warm up and have a quick bite to eat and the security guys at the Today Show recommended a great deli down the street.

I couldn’t leave NYC without having at least one bagel!

I had a toasted pumpernickel bagel with walnut & raisin cream cheese.

With some GORGEOUS fruit from the salad bar that was $$, but worth it. :)

The breakfast was perfect and I loved the zillions of options the deli offered. We need places like this in Orlando! Its not fair there is one on every block here.

We spent the rest of the morning doing a little shopping.

I found this book at Urban Outfitters and was so tempted ot buy it before my brother reminded me I live no where near a Trader Joes. :(

Honestly i was a little disappointed by Dylan’s Candy Bar. It was exactly the same as the one in Orlando. Nothing special about it to me.

I had a list of things I wanted to do while in New York City and eating at Serendipity was one of them!

We managed to avoid the typical line out front by arriving at the restaurant about 5 minutes before it opened. We were allowed to wait in the warmth inside and were seated at 11:30 on the dot.

My heart was set on one of their world famous frozen hot chocolates! I picked the mint flavor and it did not disappoint! :)

The frozen mint hot chocolate was the perfect birthday treat. It reminded me of a mint chocolate shake: very rich and delicious.

Josh and I ‘shared’ the drink but I would say I drank about 75% of it. It was just too good. My lips were drawn to the straw. :)

Since I started with a cold drink, I decided to go with a HOT bowl of vegetarian chili for my actual lunch.

The chili was great. It had bits of potatoes in it and was loaded with vegetables. I ate about 3/4s of the bowl and gave the rest to my brother.

The weather was absolutely amazing after lunch. The sun was shining bright and it had actually warmed up a bit. We took advantage of the great weather with some more walking of the city.

My brother really wanted to see the UN while he was here.

We hit up Crumbs for a birthday cupcake.

Apparently there seems to be a big debate on which cupcakes are the best in NYC. Everyone on a twitter has a different opinion to offer up! :)

There was most notably a love/hate relationship with Crumbs on twitter. Obviously I had to check it out for myself to give my honest opinion on the matter. ;)

First of all, I was blown away by the great selection! So many wonderful flavors to choose from!

I ended up with the Cappuccino

My brother went with the Reeses cupcake and we got them to go to enjoy back at the hotel.

I used a chop stick to split mine in half.

Yum! In my honest opinion the Crumbs cupcake was delicious! I hate to say it, but I enjoyed it more than the Buttercup Cupcake I had on Saturday. I still have the other half left to enjoy later. :)

We had to change hotels this afternoon and I was excited to see two of my favorite people had finally made it to NYC.

Love, Love, Love TIna and Sabrina!!

When I checked in I was excited to find a goody bag waiting for me at the front desk.

Big THANKS to Electrolux for hooking me up this week. :)

I have a date with the hotel gym before the festivites begin tonight for the big event!

25 is going to be a great year! :)

1 Kara (@ Kara's Marathon) February 8, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Happy Birthday, Meghann!! Glad you’re having such a great day :)

And I’m with you — Crumbs cupcakes are the best! The fluffernutter one is my all-time favorite!

2 megzzwinsatlife February 8, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Happy Birthday Meghann!! Glad to see you are enjoying NY.. I probably walked right by you today as I walk through Rockefeller Center.. :-( I wish I knew you were there!! I also wish I made it to the meet up yesterday.. Unfortunally I had to go home to my parents and got snowed in.. I really wish I got to meet you but their is always the meet up before the Disney Half.. If you have some free time and need someone to hang out with the little time you have left here let me know ;-)

Enjoy the rest of your birthday and have fun tomorrow!

3 Stephanie February 8, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Ohhh you absolutely must try the Magnolia cupcakes! Those are by far the BEST cupcakes ever, in my opinion. They aren’t too big either and the frosting is perfect!

4 Heather February 8, 2010 at 5:32 pm

OH MY GOSH i am obsessed with the pictures from Serendipity…SO good! hope you’re having a fabulous birthday (looks like you are!) and i can’t wait to read more about it :)

5 Madeline - Greens and Jeans February 8, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Holy coincidence Meghann! I was at the Today Show at the same time as you this morning! What a very small world! Happy Birthday!

6 Ashley February 8, 2010 at 5:37 pm

It looks like you all had a wonderful day! I was so pleased for y’all when I left my meeting at 2pm and it was sunny and warm. Have fun tonight pretty lady!

7 Evan Thomas February 8, 2010 at 5:41 pm

That’s so awesome! I wish I knew to look for you and Madeline(another blogger who was at the Today show today!) while I was on the treadmill. I watch the Today show every day; those hosts just seem like the kindest people

8 Hillary February 8, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Wow, what a fabulous start to your 25th year! Birthday wishes : )

9 Meghan @ Spreading the Health February 8, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Happy birthday!! Glad to see you’re enjoying your birthday with such a fun weekend in NY. (Though how could you choose a Cappuccino cupcake over a Reese’s one?!)

10 Megan (The Runner's Kitchen) February 8, 2010 at 5:49 pm

The peanut butter cup cupcake from Crumbs is a fabulous choice! You should ask your bro for a bite :-)

11 Carol Tufts February 8, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Meghann,

I loved your post and know how you feel about turning 25. I turned 50 this year and love it also. I am no longer a “old 40″ but a “young 50″. It is fun to approach this decade and make it fabulous. Well, so what if I am getting long in the tooth(!) so to speak, women gain a new wisdom as we approach menopause so it actually it wonderful to get older. Well, Meghann, I am exactly twice your age but connected to you by a desire to enjoy all life has to offer in a healthy way!

While you are in New York, please try my favorite restaurant, Nanoosh ( http://nanoosh.com/ ).The best hummus and soup! Love to hear what you think.

I also, by the way, love one lucky duck products and always make sure to go to Pure Food and Wine (http://www.oneluckyduck.com/purefoodandwine/) when I am in the big apple. The food is 100% raw which is actually hard to believe when you are eating the most delicious ice cream made from soy.

If you can when you get back to town, check out my post http://www.thebelist.com/the-belist-blogs/the-belist-blogs/item/62 on our local St. Pete Saturday Morning Market ( http://www.saturdaymorningmarket.com/) and leave me a comment. I give you an update on my triathlete brother, Arthur who at 56 has qualified for the Ironman in Hawaii.

Have a wonderful trip!

Carol
carol@thebelist.com

12 tiffnie February 8, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Aw, it looks like you and your bro are having the best birthdays ever! Hope the rest of your trip continues to be awesome! Looking forward to more posts (especially Kelly Ripa!!!)~

And yay for free stuff! I really like those heart-shaped plates, so cute!

13 Erin February 8, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Trader Joe’s has its own cookbook?! Oh my gosh, I need that in my life!!

14 Kerry @ Running on Faith February 8, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Ah Happy Birthday! It looks like you have had such a wonderful time already! Hope the rest of the day is equally as amazing!

15 GwenniePie February 8, 2010 at 6:09 pm

OMG I want to be you this week! Carlos Bakery AND Kelly Ripa AND the Today Show. I wouldn’t mind turning 25 again either ;) Loving your trip!

16 Jenna February 8, 2010 at 6:14 pm

I honestly don’t think you could have asked for a more fantastic birthday!! What a fabulous day. If your 25th year is anything close to todays festivities, you will have an AMAZING year. :)

17 foodfitnessandfreya February 8, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Cool what an awesome day! That Crumbs shop looks like my idea of heaven :p they all look so tasteh!! I’m very envious :P And the bagel looks good too! Wow, I want to visit NYC now just for the food, screw all the other groovy stuff there haha!
Glad you’re having such a great day, I hope it keeps getting better :D

18 Heather February 8, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Sounds like a great start to a great 25th year!! I LOVE the Today show, that’s SO cool you got to talk to them :)

19 eaternotarunner February 8, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Wow sounds like an amazing birthday! I love Serendipity, so fun!

20 Sweet and Fit February 8, 2010 at 6:48 pm

happy belated birthday! this is definitely a birthday to remember!

21 Christina February 8, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Happy birthday! That frozen hot chocolate looks absolutely amazing. The only NYC cupcake I’ve had is from Magnolia, which was good. I’ll have to check out Crumbs!

22 Shannon (The Daily Balance) February 8, 2010 at 7:03 pm

you NEED to check out the NYC cupcake roundup on my blog (i think we sampled 15 cupcakes? – embarassing, i know!)

gluttony and frosting at its finest ;)

can’t wait to see your other adventures in the Big Apple! ;)

23 Karla February 8, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Happy Birthday! Sounds like you’ve had a great day!! Hope your year is just as good!!

24 Tiffany February 8, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Crumbs cupcakes are the best! I’m a bit of a cupcake snob and I just love the variety / selection. I’ve had Sprinkles, Magnolia, Buttercup, etc, and while they are all GOOD, none of them compare! I live in San Diego and the nearest Crumbs is 2 hours away, but well worth the drive.

Serendipity, on the other hand, is a good 5 hours away…mm frozen hot chocolate!

25 amanda February 8, 2010 at 7:31 pm

crumbs rocks! such a fun place indeed.

you guys sure have been making the most of everything! i love it.
serendipity is so cute. it always makes me giddy.

26 Mama Pea February 8, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Happy Birthday, Hot Stuff!!!

27 Marcy February 8, 2010 at 8:03 pm

You definitely picked a great cupcake!! It looks so delish.

I would say a better way to start the morning would be with the crew at Good Morning America. So much more entertaining and fun.

Enjoy NY!!

28 Kelly February 8, 2010 at 8:11 pm

I love Serendipity, so jealous you got to meet the Today Show crew. So glad you’re having fun in NY.

29 Niki @ Niki's Neverending Adventure February 8, 2010 at 8:11 pm

What an awesome birthday!! I have always wanted to go to Serendipity! It looks awesome!!

30 Lauren February 8, 2010 at 8:35 pm

hey I was just wondering what program you used to chart out workouts. thanks! and Happy Birthday!!

31 whitinspired February 8, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Serendipity’s Frozen Hot Chocolates are the BEST! I’ve only been to Magnolia’s and not Crumbs…I’ll have to try that one next time.

32 Dori February 8, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Happy birthday again! I had the Peanut Butter Frozen Hot Chocolate but I think I’ll have to go back for the mint. I love Crumbs too, so many flavors! Haven’t had in forever!

33 Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 8, 2010 at 9:16 pm

wow wow and WOW! What a fun morning you have had!!!!

34 theprocessofhealing February 8, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Aw girl it sounds like you are having an amazing time!! SO jealous of serendipity, i’ve always wanted to go there. I looked for you on the Today Show this morning, I always watch it too. Gorgeous pics!!!!

35 Run Sarah February 8, 2010 at 9:25 pm

Happy Birthday girl! Looks like it’s off to an amazing start. That cupcake shop looks amazing as does the frozen hot chocolate!

36 Lacey February 8, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Wow -what an amazing way to celebrate your bday! I’ve never been to NYC (even though I live upstate) but I have always, always, ALWAYS wanted to go to Magnolia Bakery for their cupcakes, ever since I saw them on an episode of Sex And The City :-)

37 Marie February 8, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Happy Birthday :) I’ve been following you for awhile, but I don’t usually comment. I went to Florida State too and now that I’m living in Boston, I know how cold it gets!!! enjoy NYC!

38 Emily February 8, 2010 at 9:58 pm

happy birthday meghann!
your trip to NY looks so fun and amazing.
so jealous that you got to eat at serendipity. used to hate that movie, but now i love it.
hope you have fun with the other bloggies!

39 Jenna February 8, 2010 at 10:00 pm

what a great birthday!
i always watch the today show each morning and your toasted bagel with walnut and raisin cream cheese! yummmm.
glad you enjoyed serendipity-looks delish!
wow! those cupcakes look out of this world!! i looked online and they have such cool flavors, i would love to try the elvis ;)
have a great bday night :)
jenna

40 Jessica @ Jessica Balances February 8, 2010 at 10:18 pm

It looks like you have had a wonderful day so far! The fruit and bagel look AMAZING – I am drooling. The cupcakes look awesome too – actually, everything you ate/drank today looks delicious! Lucky girl!

41 workoutwarrior February 8, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Happy Birthday!!! What a fun-filled birthday it looks like you have had! I love New York City and alllllll of its delicious foods!!! Have fun!

42 Lauren February 8, 2010 at 10:36 pm

I’m so jealous of your great trip to NYC. You guys have really checked out all the fabulous eateries. Very nice swag from electrolux! Can’t wait to see your posts on the cake baking.

43 caronae February 8, 2010 at 11:29 pm

There is such a big debate n NYC on cupcakes! I think different places have different advantages, and I do like Crumbs a lot. I might go for Valentine’s day. Your frozen mint hot chocolate looks so wonderful!

44 Ali February 8, 2010 at 11:39 pm

WOW that looks like a great b-day including yummy eats and fantastic people. Enjoy your trip! and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

45 kt February 8, 2010 at 11:44 pm

Happy Birthday Meghann! It looked amazing! I’m using your experiences as tips for what I need to do whenever I finally get to NYC! Hehe.

46 dianacheung February 9, 2010 at 8:44 am

I’ve been to NYC about 3 times the past 2 years and I have NEVER gotten so close to matt and the crew and I’ve NEVER gotten a table at serendipity!! Maybe I need to dress nicer.. ;)

47 fromatopink February 9, 2010 at 10:24 am

Happy birthday! I turned 25 a few months ago and it’s a good age. Enjoy it! :)

48 Kristin P. February 9, 2010 at 10:45 am

I have to agree with the cupcakes! Crumbs just has so many flavors and the cake is very moist. Try the hummingbird cake at Buttercup! Amazing. Or the Red Velvet at Billys Bakery in Chelsea!

49 Sophie February 9, 2010 at 11:38 am

I wake up with the Today Show every morning too, ever since I was 10 years old! I’m glad you got to go! What a great birthday =)

50 Jessica Joy February 9, 2010 at 11:58 am

Happy Birthday Meghann! Thanks for sharing your awesome day in NYC with us! It looks like a blast! And I have to say it is so sweet that your brother could be there! FUN!

51 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) February 9, 2010 at 1:25 pm

We have a Crumbs in L.A. and I love it!!!

I am so jealous of your birthday trip!

52 katy February 10, 2010 at 5:18 pm

I guess I’m a premature commenter – I should read all posts before I start commenting away :)

Glad you liked Crumbs! (I work right by there & Rock Center – it’s dangerous on people’s birthday because we ALWAYS get cupcakes from Crumbs). By any chance, was the deli you went to Liberty Deli?

So exciting to read a food blog with an NYC twist – can’t seem to find many out there so it’s fun reading your reviews of places I’ve been & want to go to.

53 RhodeyGirl February 8, 2011 at 9:54 am

aw man that was so fun last year. I wish we could do it again.