more ยป" />

Build Your Own Quesadillas

by Meghann on February 6, 2010

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! For all the NYC suggestions!

I just read through each and everyone of them and was squealing in excitement at all the fun options. My Mom thought I was going crazy. I’m not sure she is quite excited about all the great food as I am. ๐Ÿ˜‰

The rest of my afternoon crawled by, but I survived. The animal crackers I snacked on during the last hour of work helped.

I need to enjoy animal crackers more often. They are such a fun sweet snack. ๐Ÿ™‚

When I arrived back at my apartment I was very happy to find a lovely gift waiting for me in my mailbox.

Khristina was kind enough to send me a Sin Dawg from Dave’s Killer Bread! I had received one from a contest a while back and already knew this baby was going to rock my world.

By the way I took these photos on my kitchen counter. Check out whose head found her way into a couple of the photos.

Maddie is ‘this close’ to actually being able to jump on the counter. That girl has springs for legs!

Your very lucky I even have a picture of the whole Sin Dawg. I was very tempted to dig in as soon as I pulled it from the mailbox, but I managed to refrain and had a proper piece as soon as I made it back to my apartment.

I took my time and savored every bite. ๐Ÿ™‚

Two hours of bumper to bumper (gotta love rush hour out of Orlando on a Friday night) I made it to my parent’s house just in time for dinner.

On the menu: Build Your Own Quasadilas

This was the brain child of my little brother and his girlfriend. They bought all the veggies, cut everything up, and had everyone go crazy with their own creations.

While everyone was preparing the food I nibbled on some blue corn chips

that I dipped in a homemade black bean dip my Dad had thrown together in the food processor

My quasadila contained apples, yellow squash, zucchini, chicken and cheese on one side.

And the homemade black bean dip on the other

My Dad’s high tech method for producing the perfect quasadilla

His method never fails.

Hot and crusty on the outside. Warm and gooey on the inside. ๐Ÿ™‚

After dinner we headed to the teeny tiny hometown theater to see Dear John. I’m pretty sure my family was oldest grouping in the theater. I was surrounded by middle schoolers!

Dear John was just ok. I really enjoyed the book, but they made a lot of changes for the movie (the biggie being the ending) and ther removed some great details that makes you fall in love with the character. I also was not a fan of Amanda Seyfield as Savannah. I usually love her, but her acting was so sub-par for this role.

My night came to an end with some Peanut Butter Frozen Yogurt I found in my parent’s fridge and topped with granola.

So far my flight is on time for tomorrow morning. CROSS YOUR FINGERS it stays that way! IF all goes as planned I should be landing in NYC just after 10:00am. Yayy!!

1 Dori February 6, 2010 at 12:11 am

Quesadilla looks awesome. I’ll need to make me one of those. See you this weekend!

2 Nicci February 6, 2010 at 12:13 am

Oh apples in the quesadilla sounds good, especially with the cheese and chicken. I can’t wait to see Dear John tomorrow night.

3 Running on Faith February 6, 2010 at 12:24 am

Those look delicious and give me some ideas for next week’s meals! I was debating about seeing Dear John since I liked the book. I always have to go in with the mentality that if I loved the book, then the movie won’t be able to recreate the emotions that drew me into the book while reading it! Safe flight. I am jealous that you are heading to my home state!

4 kt February 6, 2010 at 1:02 am

I haven’t actually read Dear John, I kind of fell out of love with Nicholas Sparks a couple years ago, not sure why! I should try him out again. That Sin Dawg looks amaaazing. Maybe I’ll try to make some sort of my own in the future.

5 lisa February 6, 2010 at 1:51 am

As I know you love your self serve frozen yogurt, my FAVORITE place in the city is Yogurtland in the village. 267 bleecker st – close to magnolia bakery. So many options with froyo + toppings! Enjoy!

6 Ashley February 6, 2010 at 1:54 am

After my mom and I sobbed hysterically through the end of The Notebook, I have no interest in seeing Dear John, or reading anything by Nicholas Sparks. That movie was so sad! ๐Ÿ™

Your quesadilla looks good…I would never think to put apples in there!

7 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) February 6, 2010 at 3:24 am

So adorable that your famski watched Dear John together ๐Ÿ™‚

HAVE A BLAST IN NYC!!!!!

8 foodfitnessandfreya February 6, 2010 at 4:07 am

oOH that Sin Dawg looks good! It looks like baklava – what is it actually made of? I’ve never heard of Dear John, is it a good book? It seems other people think it is ๐Ÿ™‚
Good luck with your flight ๐Ÿ˜€

9 Bridget February 6, 2010 at 4:49 am

Wow, everything looks amazing! My friends and I are having a Mexican themed party on Thursday (a national holiday here), so I’m looking forward to some quesadillas (and homemade salsa) then!

Dear John was a great book, but I’m a little apprehensive about the movie. (Esp. if they changed the ending…) Thanks for the review! Safe travels.

10 Jenna February 6, 2010 at 8:06 am

Wow! What a great fun dinner!
Love your dads grilling method!
Good luck and have a safe flight ๐Ÿ™‚

11 Ali February 6, 2010 at 8:56 am

I hope you have an awesome time in NYC! I’ve never been, but it seems like a fun city. Also, *random fact* “sub-par” translates to “below equal” from Latin. I was compelled to tell you, as I am a Latin fanatic ๐Ÿ™‚

12 eaternotarunner February 6, 2010 at 9:44 am

Build your own quesadillas are such a fun idea! Have a great trip!!

13 Tiffany February 6, 2010 at 10:04 am

I want a Sin Dawg so badly! Also, apples in a quesadilla?? Never tried it, but it sounds interesting haha! The snow is really coming down now, and I live near NYC… there are indeed delays at the airports, but I hope your flight gets to sneak in safely on time!

14 Katie Davis @ Pop Culture Cuisine February 6, 2010 at 10:09 am

I am not sure I want to see it either. I read the book awhile ago and lately I have been frustrated with movies that are nothing like the book. And last night my husband was telling me he had heard an interview with Channing Tatum talking about it and when my husband told me the topic I was like “hmm that totally never happens in the book.” So now I’m really not sure after hearing that and what you mentioned if it is worth it. Probably a wait til the $1 theater type.

15 Heather February 6, 2010 at 10:18 am

Oh what fun making your own quesadillas like that. Hope your flight doesn’t get delayed with all the snow!

16 theprocessofhealing February 6, 2010 at 11:08 am

Love quesadillas! I had one last night too ๐Ÿ™‚

And I’m so sad about Dear John ๐Ÿ™ I had such high hopes, it looked SO GOOD!!!!

17 lindsayruns February 6, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Wow, flying INTO new york with the snow coming down like it is…hope your flight is ok! What is your dad’s method for the ‘dillas? I can’t figure it out from the picture.

18 kristilyn February 6, 2010 at 12:24 pm

The quesadillas look delicious! I have some blue corn chips in the cupboard, too – I might have to whip up some black bean dip. ๐Ÿ™‚

I just saw a review for Dear John on the news this morning and they said it was boring – I don’t think anything can beat The Notebook!

K

19 caronae February 6, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Build your own quesadillas is brilliant!

20 Erin Eats and Exercises February 6, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Build your own quesadillas = heaven. If push came to shove I cold probably live off of them!!