more ยป" />

My New Commute Entertainment

by Meghann on February 4, 2010

Last night I was a little disappointed when I received my latest shipment of Amazon goodies (have I mentioned I have an online shopping problem?) and discovered I had accidentally ordered the audio version of Sophie Kinsellaโ€™s new novel Twenties Girl rather than the printed version.

IMG_8257

I really hate returning things (which is bad considering how much I shop online) so I decided to take it for what it was and popped the first CD in my car this morning on the way to work.

Wow! I think I have found a new love in books on CDs. Listening to the book really made my commute fly by. I was so into the book that before I knew it I was pulling into my parking spot. This was much better than the usual morning talk shows I listen to on my commute.

I think I may need to stock up on my books on cds. ๐Ÿ™‚

This morning I had a great mish mosh snack I created with Kashi Cinnamon H2H Cereal, dried kiwis, dark chocolate chips and cashews.

IMG_8235

My favorite bites were the ones that contained both dried kiwi and chocolate. Delish!

I realized when I left for lunch that I had now clue what I was making once I got home. So, I pulled a bunch of random items from the fridge and combined them into one tasty creation.

IMG_8237

IMG_8254

Can you guess whatโ€™s in there?

Donโ€™t cringe, I promise it was good!

IMG_8250

• Broccoli
  • Olives
  • Carrots
  • Dried Prunes quartered
  • Cheese
  • Homemade Granola
  • Fakinโ€™ Bacon
  • Hummus

IMG_8255

Wow! This odd combination was actually really good. My favorite bites had the pieces of dried prunes mixed in. The bites of sweet mixed with all of the savory was very tantalizing for my tastebuds.

IMG_8240

With my broccoli salad creation I had the last of a bag of blue chips and pineapple salsa.

IMG_8245

Your Questions Answered

Question: Do companies just send you products? How do they find your blog? How does that work?

Usually companies will just contact me via e-mail to review something on the blog.

When I first started blogging I would solicit companies for free stuff, but it got to be a little too much to keep up with. Plus, some companies are bombarded with bloggers e-mailing them all day that I began to feel rude about it. Its best to wait and let them come to you.

If a company has a good social media outreach program, then they usually know what they are doing when contacting bloggers. They know which bloggers will get the word out about their products and will give them the best ROI on shipping out the goods. Of course they always take a risk that a blogger will give a bad review, but thatโ€™s the risk with honesty.

Question: How did/do you tell people why you are taking so many pictures of your food? How did people react – especially your close family and friends? I am new to blogging, and feel like people would think I’m crazy with all the pictures.

Thatโ€™s easy โ€“ I tell them up front I have a blog. Most people ask questions about it, but honestly most people donโ€™t even care. The majority of people actually ask if I want a photo of their food too! The trick is not to be shy about it. Be confident about your blog and encourage people to check it out. I usually pass out business cards and tell them to see for themselves. Itโ€™s a great way to get new readers!

Question: How much do you usually pay for your frozen yogurt creations?

Typically between $3 and $4. It depends on how crazy I am feeling with the toppings that day.

Question: How does Derek handle your weird and obsessive eating style?  Most guys wouldn’t.

Derek is not most guys. ๐Ÿ™‚ He knows Iโ€™m picky and is very respectful of that fact. Lucky for me heโ€™s not a picky eater and usually has no problem eating what I have prepared. He happily enjoys all of my odd creations. I even have him loving jam on egg whites. ๐Ÿ˜‰

1 whitinspired February 4, 2010 at 3:12 pm

I am about 20 pages away from finishing Twenties Girl. I usually love Sophie Kinsella, but this book was NOT my favorite! Her flaky characters usually have a way of driving you insane, but this one was particularly frustrating for me!

My husband also is very accomodating of my picky eating habits!

2 megan February 4, 2010 at 3:13 pm

I listen to books on cd all the time. I put them on my mp3 player and listen to them while I run too. You can download them for free from the library and transfer them to your mp3 player. it’s awesome!

3 kristinp February 4, 2010 at 6:18 pm

I was just going to post this same thing! I listen to MP3 audiobooks from the library all the time – on the bus, cleaning the house, driving anywhere. It’s a great way to get in the books you don’t have time to read. Plus, I get car sick from reading on the bus and this way I don’t get bored getting to work!

4 foodfitnessandfreya February 4, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Awh you’re lucky you have a partner that understands your food habits! I hope I get that one day.
I think the best meals often come about when you just throw random stuff together..you can create new flavah combos!! And I love audiobooks now too – I listen to them on long runs, the time flies!
Have a great day ๐Ÿ™‚

5 Kara (@ Kara's Marathon) February 4, 2010 at 3:18 pm

My dad drives a ton and always has a few audiobooks going in his car! He gets all of his from the library; his local library has a great selection and will order anything they don’t have for him.

Cute bowls, btw! ๐Ÿ™‚

6 Annie (Running with Forks and Spoons) February 4, 2010 at 3:19 pm

You’re so brave; granola with veggies is a bold move! I have also found that my boyfriend is very receptive to my creative cooking. He usually gets a little crazier than I do!
I also loved your response in regard to the pictures. I just started blogging, and I am trying not to be shy about it, but it definitely gets difficult. I’m slowly finding the courage though!

7 Heather (Heather's Dish) February 4, 2010 at 3:31 pm

i love CD books…we like to get them for long roadtrips, too. the chips and pineapple salsa is totally screaming my name ๐Ÿ™‚

thanks for the feedback on companies sending stuff to review. i didn’t ask that question, but it’s definitely something I’ve been wondering about ๐Ÿ™‚

8 karen w February 4, 2010 at 3:36 pm

I love listening to audio books on long runs. when you get into those 18 and 20 mile runs, it is a great way to keep motivated.

9 Kay's Nutty Oasis February 4, 2010 at 3:37 pm

aww I think its great that Derek respects your picky eating ways ๐Ÿ™‚ I think you two balance each other in that area! haha

dried kiwi is my new love.

10 adrienmelaine February 4, 2010 at 3:42 pm

audio books are the best! I buy ones like the Malcolm Gladwell Tipping Point- they somehow can’t hold my interest in book form, but I find the information really interestion- so I get them on audio books and listen to them driving or on my ipod when I go for a walk- it’s good stuff, and worth a try.. plus who doesn’t love a soothing voice reading to you?!

11 Morgan @ Life After Bagels February 4, 2010 at 3:43 pm

I’m SO into audio books, especially motivational ones, you never get sick of listening to them, because let’s face it sometimes we need a kick in the pants

12 eaternotarunner February 4, 2010 at 3:44 pm

I love random lunch combos, so delicious!

My boyfriend is the same way, he puts up with my food choices even though he would eat pizza every night if it were up to him!

13 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) February 4, 2010 at 3:48 pm

I have the attention span of an ant when it comes to listening to anything! I always find myself rewinding and listening to the same chapter over and over again. My mind is way too scattered. When I was in elementary school I NEVER listened to a word that my teachers read aloud to us.

I <3 Sophie Kinsella….her "Can You Keep A Secret" is my FAVORITE!!!

14 Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle February 4, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Business cards- what a great idea. Sometimes the best meals come from the random leftovers in the fridge!

15 Amy February 4, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Oooh! I LOVE audio books! (I worked in WI for a semester, and when I traveled 10 hrs home for the holidays, these were a lifesaver!) Also, I love those bowls– SO cute!

16 Tami February 4, 2010 at 3:54 pm

your local library probably has tons of books on cds, ours actually lets you download stuff from their website, you should look into it, it will have you lots of $$$

17 Christine February 4, 2010 at 3:54 pm

First if all, ‘Twenties Girl’ is great. I read it when it first came out and really enjoyed. Sophie Kinsella’s signature sass is there, but the twist is original. Second, just wanted to say that I’ve been following your blog for a while and have finally decided to start my own. Though I think it’ll be a while before I work up the nerve to take food pictures in public, I’m excited to start the whole thing!!!

18 Irina February 4, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Books on tape are awesome! I listen to them on my ipod while I run. So much better than listening to the same old running play list over, and over, and over again! I would definitely give it a try.

19 Hangry Pants February 4, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Weird and obsessive. ๐Ÿ™

20 Meghann February 4, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Hmm.. yeah… thanks for pointing that out. I guess that question was a bit rude. ๐Ÿ™

21 Emily February 4, 2010 at 5:25 pm

I caught that too.

22 M February 4, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Yup, it was totally rude, not to mention a mischaracterization.

23 Kelly February 4, 2010 at 4:12 pm

I love Sophie Kinsella! I’ve read all the Cofessions books so many times!

24 Marianne in Auburn February 4, 2010 at 4:14 pm

I was going to say that if you are looking to save money$$$, most libraries have books on CD but someone beat me to the suggestion!! I usually save the books on Itunes (just in case I don’t finish it by the due date!) and then put them on my ipod at a later time when I am traveling so I have some entertainment!

25 Katie @ Health for the Whole Self February 4, 2010 at 4:14 pm

I love Sophie Kinsella! Such fun!

Have you ever tried listening to podcasts on your commute? There are some great ones out there, and they make the time in the car fly by!

26 Gracie February 4, 2010 at 4:23 pm

I love today’s Q&A. Super helpful =)

27 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) February 4, 2010 at 4:34 pm

I love happy accidents like that! Glad you are enjoying the book on cd. ๐Ÿ™‚

28 Erin February 4, 2010 at 4:42 pm

I’ve never been able to get into audio books — I love reading but don’t enjoy listening to books nearly as much.

29 Jamie (Food in Real Life) February 4, 2010 at 4:42 pm

I love Sophie Kinsella! I just read her book Remember Me? a few months ago. I too am an online shopping addict with the non-returning symptom. I hate returning things, so way to make it work!

30 AKP February 5, 2010 at 8:06 am

I have 5 pages left! I LOVE this book =)

31 Katie O. @ Fit to Wed February 4, 2010 at 4:47 pm

I absolutely love books on tape for my commute! I originally got them for the long distances I have to drive to see my fiance, but now I listen to them whenever I am in the car. They get expensive, so my library card gets a lot of use. There are usually a ton of books on tape available- check your local library out!

32 islandgirleats February 4, 2010 at 5:02 pm

I just finished reading that book last week. It was cute. I hope that you enjoy the CD’s. I am sure that does make a nice difference on your commute to work.

33 caitlin February 4, 2010 at 5:05 pm

wow – weird question. kind of rude to ask about your “obsessive” eating style. gah. people – be tactful!!!

34 Jayce February 4, 2010 at 5:06 pm

I loved books on CD! They are perfect for my 45-minute commute. I pretty much always have one in. My local library has a huge selection, so it’s perfect. ๐Ÿ™‚
My husband is super picky, and it is so frustrating sometimes!

35 Tay February 4, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Ooooh she has a new book out?! Good to know!! I love Sophie Kinsella ๐Ÿ™‚
My sister listens to the Harry Potter books on tape during her 12 hour drive home from school. I don’t know how else I would survive that! haha

36 Whit February 4, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Please post if that book is good or not! I have been procrastinating over spending the moolah on it, but if it’s worth it I will. Love her.

37 Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 4, 2010 at 5:46 pm

Great Q & A ๐Ÿ™‚ Ohh and I love the throw together lunch ๐Ÿ™‚

38 Jamie February 4, 2010 at 5:51 pm

what a pleasant surprise about the book on tape! sometimes i have a hard time focusing on more than one thing, however, so i tend to avoid driving + …anything haha

39 Heather February 4, 2010 at 6:06 pm

I didn’t know she had a new book out!! I love her books, they’re so lighthearted and fun reads ๐Ÿ™‚

40 Sara February 4, 2010 at 6:14 pm

I love Sophie Kinsella. I read all of the Shopaholic books that she wrote. Glad you like the CD.

Sara

41 biz319 February 4, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Meghann – check out your library for books on CD – I even have a small local library, but its a lending library and I can usually get any book that’s available, it just takes a little longer to get ๐Ÿ˜€

42 dianacheung February 4, 2010 at 6:33 pm

I want to review products! Tee hee but I’ll just buy ’em myself…I love how you said to show confidence that you have blog! I dont really care if people give me weird looks when I take pics! The only time where I don’t is if I’m at an UBER nice restaurant!

43 Laura Georgina February 4, 2010 at 6:43 pm

That may be the kookiest food creation yet, but I can see how it would work…. Food frontier blazing ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m glad you like the books on CD. I’ve tried them in the past, but never quite gotten into them. I hear some people like them for long runs and zoning out, too, so I may give them a shot again soon.

44 Marissa February 4, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Oh my gosh Sophie Kinsella is my favorite!

45 Kim @ LEO the lion says GER February 4, 2010 at 7:40 pm

Meghann, if you like owning audiobooks, try Audible.com I have a subscription with them for one audiobook a month. You just download it from their website and you can put it on a CD or put it on your iPod if you have an auxiliary cable for your car.

Hope this helps! I drive a lot and audiobooks make the 4 hour drives so much easier on me.

46 Marlow February 4, 2010 at 7:48 pm

I just finished Twenties Girl on CD!! I loved it. I think it’s def better on CD than reading it by book. It’s easier to follow the dialogue! Books on CD have totally saved me for my commute. I actually look forward to getting into the car!

47 Anne P February 4, 2010 at 10:39 pm

I LOVE books on CD when commuting. Makes the time fly and distracts me from road rage ๐Ÿ˜‰

48 Lacey February 4, 2010 at 10:43 pm

Since when is eating healthily “obsessive”? Lmao, I’m hoping whomever asked that question didn’t mean it to sound so condescending.

Btw, have you read all of Sohpie Kinsella’s books? “Twenties Girl” was my least favorite ๐Ÿ™

49 Jenna February 5, 2010 at 12:12 am

Great combo for lunch!!

50 starstruk February 5, 2010 at 7:48 am

Check out your local public library…you can check out books on CD for FREE! Also, if you are buying books and audiobooks, you should look into paperbackswap.com…for the price of postage, you can swap for things you haven’t read!

51 Bethany February 5, 2010 at 10:51 am

i listen to books on my commute to and from work all the time!!! it really is so much better than radio with all the commercials… i think other people already said it, but your local library is a really great source for books on cd. i definitely get my “chick-lit” fix that way! enjoy!

52 Good Taste. Healthy Me February 5, 2010 at 1:14 pm

I read that book! It was really funny! ๐Ÿ™‚

53 Niki @ Niki's Neverending Adventure February 5, 2010 at 7:27 pm

I just started listening to audiobooks on my long runs and I totally love it!

54 kristilyn February 6, 2010 at 12:42 pm

That wasn’t my favourite Sophie Kinsella book, but I still really liked it. I’m currently reading one of her Madeleine Wickham books (The Wedding Girl) – it’s pretty good!

I’m not sure how I feel about your lunch — broccoli with prunes and granola? Interesting! But at least you were brave enough to try it. ๐Ÿ™‚

K

55 Lauren February 7, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Wow that last question was really passive-aggressive. Your eating style isn’t weird or obsessive at all…and why would a guy have trouble “handling” it? Lol, people are ridiculous.