A Night of Aquarius Celebrating

by Meghann on February 4, 2010

Tonight Megan and I decided to celebrate our birthdays with dinner and dessert.

Us aquarians need to stick together! :)

Megan turned 23 yesterday (February 3rd).

And I turn 25 on Monday the 8th.

Two birthday girls ready for a night on the town!

We met at Eden Bar for dinner.

Eden Bar is attached to the Enzian Theater ( a local independent theater) and is a quaint little patio bar with a chill atmosphere and great menu.

Megan and I had planned to order the Enzian Herbivore Burger (Organic brown rice and mushroom burger, roasted tomatoes, provolone, toasted kaiser), but were told they had re-worked their burger recipe and we weren’t too thrilled with the new description.

We already had burgers on out mind and decided to go all out by ordering the Eden Burger (American 100% wagyu beef, 3 year aged cheddar, arugula, truffle mustard, Texas toast) with tomato soup as our side.

We also split an order of Purple Tostones (Double-fried purple Okinawa sweet potatoes, spicy roasted garlic ketchup). These had immediately jumped out at me on the menu!

My plate plus a ton more purple tostones. ;)

The food was really impressive. The burger was juicy, full of flavor, and had me licking my fingers. I would go back and happily order it again and again.

I also LOVED the purple tostones. Megan and I were ‘this close’ to ordering a whole other plate of them! :)

Since we were celebrating our birthdays the waiter offered us a free order of raspberry beignets for dessert.

We hated it. Obviously.

BUT dessert didn’t stop there! We headed to Jeremiahs for birthday dessert round 2!

We each had received coupons for one small dessert from Jeremiah’s in our e-mails this week and were more than happy to exchange them for a delicious gelati this evening.

I got a small p-nutty gelati which tasted just like peanut butter ice cream.

I had a blast hanging out with Megan tonight! We experience a great new restaurant and had two free desserts. Sounds like a pretty successful evening of celebrating birthdays to me!

Before I left work this afternoon I had a mini bag of kettle corn.

I love celebrating birthdays! I can already tell 25 is going to be a good year and I know 23 is going to be a good one for Megan. :)

Alright, time to get to bed, but first are some more questions and answers for ya.

Question: I am currently in college and my college recently opened up a great new gym. I have been there twice so far (with a friend) but I want to start going more often (probably sometimes without a friend). However, I am a little nervous to go alone considering that everyone there seems to be “pros” lol Do you have any suggestions for me feeling more comfortable going to the gym alone?

Don’t be nervous about the gym! I say be confident and pretend like you know what you’re doing (that’s what I do). Everyone is there for a purpose and usually pretty focused on that purpose.

I say come prepared. Know what you are there to accomplish and perhaps write it down and check it off as you go. If you with a goal then you will keep your self occupied with the task at hand rather than worried what everyone is doing. Plus, if you come prepared with a plan, it will look like you’re a pro too!

Good luck!

Question: I was wondering, what artists/songs do you listen to while you run that gets you “pumped up”?

I always hate this question because I swear I listen to the worst music! I mean its music that I love, but most people probably not so much. I listen to a lot of broadway soundtracks such as Wicked, Hair Spray, etc. and popular pop stuff that is out on the radio. I steer clear of rap or hard core rock.

I kind of zone out during my runs, so I never really remember what song I just listened. I mainly have the music on for comfort. :)

Question: I have been meaning to ask you this for some time since you do so many races. Bowel movements and long runs…not a fun subject, but one I tend to “fret” about race mornings. Do you try to eat a breakfast that will keep you regular before the race? Do you ever have to use the portable potties for a BM? Have you ever not been able to go before a race/run and had your stomach hurt throughout the run?

Love this question! Particularly because it is something all runners struggle with, but few talk about it. Well in public at least. I have had some pretty open conversations with close runner friends about our stomach problems on runs and needing to make emergency pit stops on runs. I have more stories than I care to tell on the matter actually. Most probably aren’t blog appropriate. ;)

I used to have tummy issues all the time when I first started running. I would have to make emergency stops along the road, at gas stations, abandoned porta potties, etc. nearly every run. But over time I guess my body adapted to it. Now I make sure to get it all out before I run. I’ve also learned to stay away from dairy before taking off.

Out of every race I’ve ran the only time I’ve had to stop for the bathroom was when I had to wait on Derek to use it during our 10k we ran together. I’m honestly not sure why that is. Maybe its because I’m too focused on the race to be bothered? Maybe it’s the traditional bagel and nut butter combo I eat before every race that is safe on my tummy? Or maybe I am just abnormal?

My advice is find food that is safe for you to enjoy before runs and never, ever go for a run without taking care of business. ;)

1 Karla February 4, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Happy Almost Birthday! What a lovely meal!
I listen to terrible music too! I’m not a hard core music lover so I’m perfectly happy with whatever is on the radio that I can dance/run around to. No shame in a little pop :)

2 tramey1 February 4, 2010 at 10:17 pm

That Italian Ice looks ahhhh-mazing. We have a “Ritas Frozen Custard” here, I need to blog about it! I wonder if its similar….hmmmm…

Happy Bday to both!!! <3

3 theprocessofhealing February 4, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Oh YUM! I don’t eat red meat and I haven’t wanted it in years and years but that burger… wow. I bet that was incredible! And the purple sweet potatoes and beignets.. holy moly. Sounds like one amazing meal. Happy Birthday to you both!!!

4 Evan Thomas February 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Great answer to the first question, and I’m so glad you adressed it! I felt the same way switching from being an outdoor runner to a treadmiller. I was really intimidated by these 2 large lifters in particular. Then, one day, I ran into one on the street and he pulled me aside. Turns out he’s one of the deans at my college, and he and his friend look at me for inspiration because they think if I can run for as long as I do then they can do their part to exercise, too. Hearing that made me feel great! And I knew being a part of the gym community was “right” for me

5 Melissa February 4, 2010 at 10:24 pm

hell yum. i wish we had jeramiahs!

6 Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle February 4, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Nice birthday celebration- happy birthday to both of you! So glad that you addressed the LAST question hehe. I’m really freaked out about this while training for the half marathon and marathon I’m doing this year. I have a sensitive tummy and have thought about taking note of what I eat before running and then any negative effects so I know what to avoid. Wow, hope no one accidentally stumbles on that journal ;).

7 Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 4, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Happy birthday to you both! What a fun looking girls evening – I LOVE IT :)

8 eaternotarunner February 4, 2010 at 10:31 pm

Wow that dinner looks incredible! Also love the honesty about runners tummy ;-)

9 Run Sarah February 4, 2010 at 10:39 pm

How fun! The gelati looks great :)

10 greensandjeans February 4, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Those burgers look amazing! Happy birthday to you both!

11 thefitbridesmaid February 4, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Hooray for BROADWAY! I have tons of musicals on my iPod, too. I love “Popular” and “What is this feeling?” from Wicked, and “You Can’t Stop the Beat” from Hairspray. Of course Fosse has to be one of my all-time faves!

12 abbynormally February 4, 2010 at 10:49 pm

What a fun night! I love the community that you bloggers have created! I want to move to Florida!

13 Jamie February 4, 2010 at 10:50 pm

wow, the restaurant did a great job with their food presentation! Sounds like the food was just as good! Sounds like a great night!

14 Michaela February 4, 2010 at 10:55 pm

Yay for aquarius! My birthday was on Monday. The big 2-3 also. My celebration included a night full of studying. boo grad school

15 Heather (Heather's Dish) February 4, 2010 at 11:15 pm

HOLY YUM!!! i’m loving that dessert…I’d totally lick the plate clean :)

16 Ashley February 4, 2010 at 11:16 pm

Y’know what I love about your blog? That you’re willing to answer questions like that last one! I’m a newbie runner and this stuff is important to know! :D

Also, I’m totally digging your new hair cut/color!

17 Anna February 4, 2010 at 11:28 pm

WOOT woot! Aquarius love!!! Looks like a delicious meal! :-)

18 dianacheung February 5, 2010 at 12:05 am

I love that you seem like such a great supportive friend. I LOVE a good REAL burger from time to time. And 2 desserts in one night? TOTALLY normal! :)

19 Jenna February 5, 2010 at 12:15 am

Glad you had a great night out!!

20 Erin February 5, 2010 at 12:31 am

Woooot — major Broadway nerd love! :D Nothing gets me going like a nice upbeat mix from the Glee cast haha.

And Aquarius is totally the best sign. ;)

21 Andrea February 5, 2010 at 12:52 am

I love that you listen to Broadway when you run! I was worried I was the only one! “Hairspray” is one of my favorites because the music is so upbeat. I also love listening to “Rent”.

22 catms916 February 5, 2010 at 1:16 am

Happy birthday!! Sounds like a fantabulous night out… popcorn, gelati? Yes please!!

23 tiffnie February 5, 2010 at 1:33 am

Happy (early) birthday!!!!! I’m glad you and your friend had fun and got to enjoy yourselves. The gelato looks soooo good!!!

And thank you for tackling that BM question. Out of ALL the questions asked so far, it’s my favorite, haha! It’s something I’ve always wondered. I’m not sure what to do for myself since I rarely run in the mornings and if I do, it would definitely be before I take care of my business and before I eat food (which normally is the ‘trigger’). Gah!

24 Amy February 5, 2010 at 1:50 am

Hi! I currently live in Okinawa and love the purple sweet potato even though it makes the Thanksgiving sweet potato casserole just wrong. They’re called ube (pronounced ew-bay). Happy early birthday, Amy

25 Jayce February 5, 2010 at 2:26 am

1. Happy almost bday. :)
2. I like your new hair.
3. I LOVE me some Jeremiah’s!
4. I have big pre-run/race anxiety about the BM thing, too, so it’s good to know I’m not the only one. I am still trying to figure out my perfect pre-run meal.

26 thevivagirl February 5, 2010 at 3:14 am

New reader! :D Love your blog. Those raspberry beignets looks absolutely incredddddible, I’ve never tried beignets before! Am I missing out? No need to ask the same about the Jeremiah’s, though, I can see that I clearly am…

xox Beth

27 foodfitnessandfreya February 5, 2010 at 4:39 am

Awh looks like you had a great night out, it looks so fun! I love the presentation (and colour) of your dinner, that’s awesome :D
Thanks for the question answers, especially the last one; it’s nice to know I’m not the only runner who occasionally gets those problems…!! It seems like everyone really appreciated you answering that question!

28 Kelly February 5, 2010 at 8:54 am

Haha i love running to broadway stuff… RENT and wicked all the way! Also, I love that purple purse, where did you get it?! After my first 10 mile race I had to go home from work the next day because my stomach still hurt so bad!

29 Neely February 5, 2010 at 9:00 am

Oh man I used to love the Enzian Veggie burger! What did they do to it?

Looks like an awesome time. You guys are so young! ;)

30 Sammi February 5, 2010 at 9:17 am

Happy early birthday!
Free desserts are always amazing! At my work, we give out free birthday cakes when people are celebrating birthdays (also for anniversaries). They’re not small either. They could easily feed 6 people. Plus, they’re made by the bakery that is located under the hotel part of the restaurant so they’re always fresh too!

I’m so glad someone asked that last question! When I first started running, I would have to go to the bathroom right before the two mile mark like clockwork (not like there’s a bathroom there or anything! :( haha) But for some reason my body doesn’t bother me like that very much anymore. My dad and I have a running joke about me having to go to the bathroom during runs (he calls it “having a sammi moment” lol) I really don’t know what has changed for me. Now I only have that problem every now and then when I run but I haven’t had the issue during a race yet. I guess your body really does get use to it? I do always try to go to the bathroom before I leave but I’m so irregular that it really doesn’t always work out that way. Ewww. lol.

31 inmytummy February 5, 2010 at 9:26 am

Happy Early Birthday. I love your bag in the first picture.

32 Heather February 5, 2010 at 9:37 am

Happy birthday to you both!! I also have to experiment with foods I can eat before running and timing—they say “train your intestine” while you train for running. Not a bad idea (though doesn’t always work haha)

33 Whitney @ whitinspired.wordpress.com February 5, 2010 at 9:42 am

Happy early Birthday! That burger looks like it was SO good! I also love that you listen to the Wicked soundtrack while running…that is such a good idea.

34 islandgirleats February 5, 2010 at 10:07 am

That is a great looking burger! It’s only breakfast time here, but my mouth is already watering!

35 krittie February 5, 2010 at 12:50 pm

I think the brown hair is a great look for you-very natural :)

36 betsy February 5, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Happy Almost Birthday! (From one 25 year old to another…almost!)

I would like to add to the advice you gave on gaining confidence at the gym. If you are new to working out with weights and weight machines, it is important to know that you are doing it properly. I am sort of a form junky and you can REALLY injure yourself if you don’t lift or use machines with correct form.

If you have a friend that is experienced, bring them along to show you how to use the machines. A lot of college gyms provide weight training courses where you can learn the basics, or opt for a day with a personal train to show you the ropes.

37 Jessie (Vegan-minded) February 5, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Yay for aquarians! I just celebrated my birthday on the 3rd, so happy birthday to you as well! Looks like a great restaurant and fun times with Megan. :)

38 kristilyn February 6, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Happy Birthday!

That dinner looks amazing, especially those purple potatoes AND the dessert(s). I love your pink shirt, too!

I love your BM response – I’ve never had to compete in anything that big that I’ve had to worry about it, though I feel like I would be too nervous to get going with it on the morning of a long run. LOL!

K