Meghann the Busy Bee

by Meghann on February 3, 2010

Whoa! Talk about a busy day!

Sorry for not posting earlier, but my one hour meeting this morning turned into a five hour meeting. Yikes! It was a good thing though because we were able to get a LOT accomplished. I am going to be a very busy worker bee the next couple of months, but it will be worth it. πŸ™‚

I actually ended up running a last minute errand this morning and in the rush to leave I remembered my snack, but forgot my camera. Booo…

So, sadly I wasn’t able to take a picture of the Chickpea Blondie and dried fruit I nibbled on while driving to Office Max, but in case you are curious it looks very similar to the snack I had yesterday. Just click here for the visual. πŸ˜‰

Don’t worry I made sure to have my camera for lunch.

My meal was quick as I only had 45 minutes as opposed to my usual hour to shovel food into my mouth. In my experience left over always make the quickest meals, which is why I heated up the left over Barley Pilaf for lunch today.

On the side/ for dessert I had some cantaloupe with almond butter.

Mmmm… tasty. The almond butter was like icing on the cantaloupe.

My lunch took less than 3 minutes to prepare, it filled my tummy, and satisfied my taste buds. I had no problems making it back to office right on time.

I was really craving chocolate this afternoon and for some reason I thought eating an Amazing Grass Bar would fix it.

It didn’t.

I ate half the bar before realizing it wasn’t what I wanted. I saved the other half of the bar for another day and had a dark chocolate nut cluster instead.

Much better! I need to learn to always listen to my craving. One piece of chocolate is usually all it takes! πŸ™‚

I got home from the office pretty late and the only thing on my mind was pizza!

I <3 Pizza!

I used the last of my farmer’s market flatbread to produce my personal sized pizza. The flatbreads make really great crunchy crusts. I need to remember to pick more up asap!

Toppings

• Marinara Sauce
  • Fakin Bacon
  • Olives
  • Red Onion
  • Mushrooms
  • Carrots
  • Cheese

I paired the pizza with some fresh broccoli to add a little green to my plate.

Perfect.

Nothing goes better with a long day than a small bowl of peppermint ice cream.

Topped with a TJ Candy Cane Joe Joe.

Sorry if this post is a bit weak, but I’m pooped and ready to sleep. I hope my answers below make up for it.

Good Night!

Questions & Answers

Question: How do you honor your hunger? Do you typically give in to any and all food cravings? With how much you workout do you find yourself always hungry? Like you, I am very active and because of this I feel like a bottomless pit!!! I am curious how you go about this! Thanks =)

I honor my hunger by constantly feeding myself throughout the day. I’ve found if I were to go to long without eating that I begin to get cranky and ravenous, so I try to prevent that from happening.

I enjoy three meals and two snacks a day. This means I am eating every 3-4 hours during the day and usually my hunger is right on cue with that.

Over time I have learned what is going to satisfy my hunger and what is not. I have also learned based on my activity level in the morning how great the hunger will be. Its really all about learning what works best for your body and this is just what works for me.

Question: Don’t you EVER just want to eat a bag of Dorito’s? How is it that you can eat only a sample size bag of M & M’s? Does your willpower *ever* take a hike? πŸ™‚

Well, truthfully this isn’t a fair question because I really don’t like Doritos and was never a big chip fan for that matter. πŸ˜‰ I’ve never really been a big junk food fan either. (I think I ODed on it growing up) I’m honestly trying to think of something I could just eat a big bag of, but I can’t.

The sample size bag of M&Ms is just enough to subdue my chocolate craving. Once the chocolate craving is met I have no desire for it anymore. I wish I knew where that willpower came from. I guess it just developed over time?

My willpower does tend to take a hike when I go to fun restaurants or on vacation. Those are the times I feel like living it up, not when I’m bored at my desk.

Question: How do you prevent injury? You work out a ton, but you never seem to get injured, even after a marathon. What’s your secret?

Shhh…. you are going to jinx me! πŸ˜‰

Truth is I injured myself during my first marathon. I did something to the back of my leg and had to take a month off from running to recover. For my second marathon I stuck to a proper training schedule and attribute that to my injury free success.

*knock on wood*

1 Sarah February 3, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Wait, you took a month off? I thought a couple of times before you said you took two weeks off… just wondering!

2 Meghann February 3, 2010 at 9:17 pm

It was roughly three weeks. I tried to come back a couple of times but my leg couldn’t handle it. I found a post where I did my first run where I felt 95% back to normal http://graduatemeghann.com/2009/06/22/back-to-reality/

3 Jenna February 3, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Chocolate cluster looks yummy as well as peppermint Ice cream with Joe joes! Mmmm

4 megan February 3, 2010 at 9:16 pm

I feel like I have absolutely no willpower compared to you haha. i could eat tons of doritos, or m&m’s or chips or really, any kind of junk food. I love it all πŸ™‚

5 BethT February 3, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Dang, you’ll put almond butter on anything! πŸ™‚

6 Meghann February 3, 2010 at 9:17 pm

You should have seen me contemplating putting it on broccoli this evening πŸ˜‰

7 Jenny February 3, 2010 at 9:20 pm

That workout looks great! I am such a beginner at weight lifting and really love my cardio. I would love to win a video that shows me how to get started!

8 Kara (@ Kara's Marathon) February 3, 2010 at 9:27 pm

Can you bottle up that willpower and sell it on your blog? πŸ™‚ I’d love to be able to stop at one mini bag of M&Ms!

9 islandgirleats February 3, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Nice looking pizza. I have been using whole wheat pitas recently. They work pretty well too.

I love the Q&A’s – keep them coming!

10 katajess February 3, 2010 at 9:36 pm

I agree with the others. So jealous of your willpower! πŸ˜€ I guess it helps that you still get to eat yummy things like that pizza. πŸ™‚

11 Heather February 3, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Best ice cream ever!!!!

12 Karla February 3, 2010 at 9:45 pm

I feel like some days I have will power and other days (like when it’s that time of the month) I feel like I can’t control myself! It’s really frustrating!
Almond butter on cantaloupe sounds interesting! Never would have thought of that combo!

13 inmytummy February 3, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Personal homemade pizzas are my new favorite food. I <3 them.

14 eaternotarunner February 3, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Seriously looove the ice cream πŸ˜‰

15 Evan Thomas February 3, 2010 at 9:47 pm

The only thing less appealing to me than doritos are bugles and fritos. I don’t think I’ve eaten more than 2 of those ever!

16 Emily February 3, 2010 at 9:57 pm

I’m with you on the chip thing – that’s not my weakness. Dessert is of course another matter.
I would venture to say that you probably keep your will power in control because you allow yourself a lot of small treats (piece of chocolate, bowl of ice cream, etc.) I find that my will power goes out the window for 2 reasons. 1. I let myself get too hungry or 2. I decided I “can’t ” have something – then it’s all I want.

17 Heather (Heather's Dish) February 3, 2010 at 9:59 pm

that pizza sounds great…i was actually just thinking that pizza sounded a lot better than what i actually had for dinner…oops πŸ™‚

18 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) February 3, 2010 at 10:03 pm

that pizza looks AND sounds delish! YUM! I am kind of with you on the chip thing, except for tortilla chips, but LOVE crackers πŸ™‚

19 Morgan @ Life After Bagels February 3, 2010 at 10:06 pm

I’m dying for some of the peppermint ice cream πŸ™‚

20 Molly February 3, 2010 at 10:22 pm

I need to start giving your fruit + almond butter a try! Of course I have done apple and banana (been a favorite since I pretty much have come out of the womb).
It all looks so juicy and good! So creative ms. meghann!
Happy wednesday!

xo-Molly

21 theprocessofhealing February 3, 2010 at 10:23 pm

Almond butter on cantaloupe… never tried that before. But hey, AB makes many things better πŸ™‚ And your pizza really looks fantastic. I’ve looked and looked for flat bread but I can’t find it around where I live. Bummer.

22 Jamie February 3, 2010 at 11:16 pm

I am ADDICTED to those nut clusters! Those are something that I could eat an entire bag of πŸ˜‰

23 ilanalala February 3, 2010 at 11:27 pm

Mmmmmm that cantaloupe picture made my mouth water. Must try with almond butter…

24 Rebecca February 4, 2010 at 12:19 am

I heart peppermint ice cream… πŸ™‚

25 adrienmelaine February 4, 2010 at 12:31 am

good for you not eating the rest of that greens bar- it’s way better to just have a bite of what you’re craving instead of ignoring it and it just festering away..

you have me craving ice cream!

26 Goldie February 4, 2010 at 2:43 am

5 hour meeting!? Tough break. I love the look of those choc nut clusters. Such things are hard to find in the uk.

27 foodfitnessandfreya February 4, 2010 at 3:37 am

I’m the same with regular eating – despite being really active, I have to force myself to eat every 3hrs or so, and if I don’t, I’m a total b****!! It’s the low blood sugar! Eating every 3hrs I think is some of the best advice out there πŸ™‚
What brand of almond butter do you use btw? It looks SO GOOD!!!
Have a good evening πŸ™‚
(oh, and your pizza creations inspired me to have pizza for the 1st time in 3yrs the other day..loved it! so thankyou :P)

28 balancingfoodandlife February 4, 2010 at 6:05 am

WOW, I truly applaud you on your amazing will power Meghann!

Vera xx

29 eatinggreenstayinglean February 4, 2010 at 8:13 am

Peppermint ice cream is definitely one of my FAVS.

And I really need to get in on this whole eating AB on fruit thing πŸ™‚

30 Kelly February 4, 2010 at 8:54 am

Making homemade pizzas is my new favorite thing! It’s my go to fast dinner these days! Yours looks delicious. Also, does almond butter taste like peanut butter? I’m not really a huge PB fan, but would be willing to try something different

31 Annie February 4, 2010 at 9:16 am

Those nut clusters look great!! Where do you get them?

32 DiningAndDishing February 4, 2010 at 9:28 am

I never thought about a cantelope + almond butter combo, but that sounds good! You’re always putting ab on fruits I wouldn’t think to do that on. Reminds me to switch things up :).

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

33 fitandfortysomething February 4, 2010 at 10:07 am

Sometimes you just need the real deal-chocolate that is!

34 Doug February 4, 2010 at 10:08 am

I didnt even know almond butter existed.. gotta try it! As far as the pizza goes… delish!