Your Derek Questions Answered

by Meghann on February 2, 2010

Yes, you read that title correctly! Your Derek questions are about to be answered, but first my food for the day. 😉

Mid-morning I snacked on a chickpea blondie with some dried kiwi(courtesy of Oh Nuts!).

IMG_8147

I think the blondies are starting to grow on me. Once  you get over the texture thing, they’re really not that bad. 🙂

Lunch featured another Wildwood product that I purchased with one of the coupons they had sent me – their Southwest Veggie Burger.

IMG_8150

I grilled the veggie burger on my George Foreman and topped it with salsa, cucumbers, and tomatoes.

IMG_8158

I’ll admit I was expecting the ‘spicy southwest’ burger to be a bit spicier. They just need to go ahead and remove ‘spicy’ from their label ASAP. Besides that it had great texture and flavor for a veggie burger, just not what I was expecting.

IMG_8168

With my burger I had some chips and salsa.

IMG_8161

And cantaloupe for a sweet touch to the plate.

IMG_8163

All together now

IMG_8155

Here goes nothing…

Question: Tell me more about Derek! You guys dated in the past and then reconnected at a football game, right? Why did you guys break up the first time? Was it serious the first time? Are you guys officially together now? Do you think you guys will get married or move in together soon (since you are kind of long distance)? What does he do for a living? Ah sorry to bombard you with questions, I’m just so curious! You guys are the cutest together and I wish you guys much happiness!!

I received a LOT of Derek questions! I think probably 50% of questions that came through were Derek related. I thought the above question was one of the best as it just dove right on in and covered all the bases. lol Love it!

I guess I should start from the beginning?

Yes, Derek and I dated in college, but it wasn’t anything serious. We had fun for a year and then he moved back home while I stayed at school in Tallahassee for another year. We eventually lost touch besides the occasional Facebook hello.

In November of 2008 Derek and I were randomly in Tallahassee together for the FSU homecoming game and reconnected. That January we started hanging out just as friends and kept it at a friends status because we lived almost 2 hours from each other and did not want to put pressure on a long distance thing. We continued to see each other as much as possible and I think it wasn’t until the fall that we started calling each other boyfriend and girlfriend. We were young and having fun, why put a label on things?

Do I see us getting married? I don’t know. Do we have plans to move in together? Not in the near future. Will one of us move to the other’s city? Who knows? We both have great jobs and family in our respective cities and aren’t ready to make that decision yet.

Bottom line is a lot of you were asking questions I don’t even know the answers to. Derek and I take everything one day at a time and I think that’s what works for us. Do I know where this will lead? Absolutely not! But, that’s part of the fun in life and dating, right? If we all knew the future life wouldn’t be very fun!

*EDITED TO ADD: Derek’s Response

Hello All – I wanted a chance to answer these same questions in my own words, so Meghann gave me the opportunity.  Here we go!

1.  We did reconnect at a football game. It was cold. She let me borrow a jacket she had just bought her brother. It was then I knew………that I wanted to keep her around for when it became cold again.
2.  We ‘broke up’ primarily because I graduated and she had one more year to go. In retrospect (and while we weren’t together), I should have worked harder to change that.
3.  I don’t know if serious is the word for it. When I think of serious I think committed, for sure, this is who I want. I don’t think I could honestly put that word on it at that point in our lives.  She was great (and still is). No doubt about it. It just wasn’t the right timing.
4.  Officially together? I think so. Gosh, I hope so. Meghann – can you confirm?  🙂
5.  Skipping to the job question – I work in the HR dept at one of the big 4 accounting firms.  I specialize in domestic and international deployment of resources (staff).
5.  And last but not least…the marriage question. The single, double, and triple whopper (yes, I know this is a HEALTHY living blog) question – My answer is really the same as Meghann’s, I don’t know.  I’ve learned from the past (usually the hard way) that when I try to purposefully steer a situation in a certain direction, things don’t go as planned. I don’t have any set expectations right now. I’m quite happy with where I’m at with Meghann.  Yeah, the distance thing isn’t ideal, but it’s not a killer.  For instance, I’ve driven to Orlando on a weeknight and had dinner with her before.  It can work…and it does work.  A day at a time, that’s where we are.  Let’s put it this way…she puts a smile on my face that can’t be replicated, duplicated, or imitated…and whatever direction I have to go to keep that up, that’s the road I want to be on.

1 Whit February 2, 2010 at 2:51 pm

YES! Glad you guys do not feel pressured to ‘do something’ with your relationship. Just have fun and live in the moment! Like you said, you’re young! Have fun!

2 megan February 2, 2010 at 2:55 pm

we have very different perspectives on dating haha. I don’t know if I ever had such a carefree, take it as it comes approach. I knew I wanted to get married fairly young (not in a creepy desperate sort of way), and prayed about my relationship with my husband each step of the way. I never was good at those sorts of unknowns 🙂 glad you and derek are happy!

3 Hangry Pants February 2, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Good answer!

Also, that is NOT a wonderful endorsement for those blondies. 😀

4 Jessica @ Jessica Balances February 2, 2010 at 3:00 pm

I respect your attitude about your relationship :). I seriously can’t say that about most people I know… You sound like you have a very healthy bond!

5 Caitlin in MD February 2, 2010 at 3:00 pm

I would like to see Derek’s answers to the same questions! (Before reading yours!)

6 Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle February 2, 2010 at 3:01 pm

I love your relationship outlook, taking it one day at a time. It seems like you have a good thing going and if you both like it that way, why mess with it?! Hope it just gets better and better! 🙂

7 tramey1 February 2, 2010 at 3:08 pm

I agree on the burger! I have had it in the past, and it is low in the spice department. Still delicious though. Derek needs to blog, it is obvious. 😉 I’m sure he would be all for it, no?

8 Lauren L. February 2, 2010 at 3:09 pm

What a great attitude about your dating life! I have been in relationship with a great guy for about as long as you and Derek and we still have a lot of unanswered questions, too. For now we live in the same town, but I am moving and headed back to school for law school this fall. I need to have a more positive “one day at a time” outlook. Thanks for the encouragement! It is so fun to be in love and I need to worry less about the future and just enjoy what we are doing now.

9 Chelsea February 2, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Ditto what Heather (hangrypants) said!!! On all points. She’s smart 😉

10 Derek February 2, 2010 at 3:20 pm

meghann…seriously? now I have to completely rework all my proposal plans!

As Andy from The Office would say…there are deposits that I can’t get back!

11 adrienmelaine February 2, 2010 at 3:23 pm

You must love marriage questions on your blog– and from the family for that matter– you answered brilliantly!

Is that a homemade salsa with a recipe?

12 Meghann February 2, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Nope. Sad to say its from a jar.

13 Amber from Girl with the Red Hair February 2, 2010 at 3:23 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHA to Derek’s comment above!

I also asked some Derek questions so thanks for answering. I had read through some of your archives and couldn’t seem to figure out when you guys actually became a couple!

14 Morgan @ Life After Bagels February 2, 2010 at 3:39 pm

hahaha, I’m laughing at Derek’s comment above!

15 Evan Thomas February 2, 2010 at 3:42 pm

I never knew you knew Derek previously; that’s cute 🙂
I really liked that veggie burger, but I think it’s only because of the fried outside casing. I probably would have been happy just eating that. Oops

16 eaternotarunner February 2, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Haha Derek’s comment is great, you guys are cute 🙂

17 Erin February 2, 2010 at 3:50 pm

As long as you’re happy and having fun, that’s what matters! 😀

18 kelbell718 February 2, 2010 at 3:55 pm

I hear you about not wanting to put pressure on a long distance thing. The day I met my bf one of the first things he said was “long distance is the wrong distance”. Haha he changed his mind though and ended up having to be the one to convince me it was worth it and six months later here we are. He lives 2 hours away from me also, which could be worse, but could be better. Good luck 🙂

19 Rose February 2, 2010 at 3:56 pm

I got a TON of questions about Bill too. I really like your response – we take things a day at a time! Looks like we’re life twins yet again.

20 Heather February 2, 2010 at 4:12 pm

I love the “focus on now” approach- no need to get all wrapped up in what may or may not happen–just see where it all goes! Glad you guys are happy and enjoying your time together!

21 phl003 February 2, 2010 at 4:26 pm

I loved hearing about Derek! You should enjoy the time you have together – because that’s what’s most important!

22 kbwood February 2, 2010 at 4:34 pm

awwwww i love you two lovebirds!!!

23 Anne P February 2, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Awwwwwwwwwwwww his response is so adorable!!!! 🙂 Yay.

24 Samantha February 2, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Derek’s comments are amazing…actually made me tear a bit. Hope it’s what my BF would say…gah, what a good post!! Favorite so far this week.

Wish I could find those veggie burgers in my town!

25 Sarah R February 2, 2010 at 4:39 pm

“she puts a smile on my face that can’t be replicated, duplicated, or imitated…and whatever direction I have to go to keep that up, that’s the road I want to be on.”

I just melted a little inside 🙂 How sweet!!

26 Andrea of Care to Eat February 2, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Dude, I think I love Derek now. You’re a lucky lady, Meghann! I remember when you were talking about having your heart broken on the blog. Sooooo glad that’s over with. 🙂

27 foodfitnessandfreya February 2, 2010 at 4:41 pm

I agree with basically what everyone else said – you have a great attitude to your relationship! It seems so low pressure, it’s very refreshing.
I’m thinking about baking those blondies now..with every post I read by you, my opinion changes!!

28 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) February 2, 2010 at 4:41 pm

AAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

I think Derek’s responses are so cute! My husband and I dated long distance (he lived in San Diego and I lived near Los Angeles) for about 2 years before we moved in together and eventually got married. It was fun dating long distance though! I loved it. (which I know is weird!)

29 Bridget February 2, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Awwwwwww (in a high skweaky voice), I love his answer…so sweet. I love the way you two are approaching this relationship and I think other people should take note 🙂 Feels similar to how Brian and I were…we didnt even discuss the marriage thing until like 3 years into it..and it obviously worked out for the best 🙂 Enjoy each other!

30 Cassie February 2, 2010 at 4:43 pm

i love his response! he’s certainly a keeper. you two are so cute together.

of course i was also excited to see he works for a big 4 accounting firm… gotta rep the big 4, no matter what department you work for 🙂

31 eatinggreenstayinglean February 2, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Aw, I’m so glad Derek wrote responses too…he seems like a sweetheart! Good luck to both of you 🙂

32 Rachel February 2, 2010 at 4:48 pm

I heart you and Derek!

33 rachel February 2, 2010 at 4:58 pm

That is such a cute story. You’re right, there’s no need to rush things.

34 Lauren February 2, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Sweet!

You guys both seem to have a really good (and mature) perspective on taking your relationship one day at a time. It’s impossible to predict the future, and I think too many people set their romances up for ruin by imposing deadlines upon them. My boyfriend and I initially had a pretty relaxed (but committed) approach to our relationship, and we’ve been happily together for over 3 years. In fact, we’re now engaged.

It makes sense to take things as they come and, more importantly, have fun!

35 Glamorus Newlywed February 2, 2010 at 5:10 pm

So sweet!!! I could NEVER do the long distance thing, but patience isn’t really my virtue! I seriously don’t think that my husband and I went more than 2 days without seeing each other while we were dating, and we were married in 8 months flat after first meeting. Guess patience isn’t really a virtue in either of us 🙂

Curious as to whether Derek works for the same big 4 firm I used to (want to die) work at… Hmmm.

36 Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 2, 2010 at 5:12 pm

oooh that vegie burger looks great! I am yet to find a good one in Australia! They all seem to be filled with artificial nasties!

37 kirsten February 2, 2010 at 5:14 pm

You guys are too cute. Derek’s responses are really sweet 😀

38 Sarah February 2, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Loving me some Derek!!! Good for you!!!

39 kathleen February 2, 2010 at 5:34 pm

hey meghann! i saw on twitter about running chicago maybe?! you should definitely do it and will totally BQ! i just signed up yesterday!! email me if you have any questions 🙂

40 Katie F. February 2, 2010 at 5:41 pm

You guys are great, and super inspirational. I love your “live-in-the-moment” approach! It’s so refreshing.

41 Jacquie February 2, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Awww you two are so cute! I hope you keep putting those smiles on each other’s faces 🙂

42 Jen February 2, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Eek, Derek’s comments were so sweet, Meghann! He’s definitely a keeper 😉

Love the no pressure attitude! My husband and I dated for 4.5 years before getting engaged and had a 1.5 yr engagement, so 6 yrs before we got married. I think so many people rush into marriage too young before they truly know themselves. Good for you two for living in the moment. So glad you’re both happy!

Congrats on answering these personal questions so gracefully and honestly! Not many people could pull that off. Be proud 🙂

43 Heather (Heather's Dish) February 2, 2010 at 6:12 pm

i love y’alls honest answers to the relationship questions…and i think it’s a good thing for you to keep your private life private (unless it’s something you really want or need to share with the world). it’s just great to see you happily dating a great guy!

44 Kay February 2, 2010 at 6:20 pm

dried kiwi = amazing. I finally found some!! life will never be the same 🙂

aww that is so cute that you two reconnected!! gives hope for all of us that one boy that is let go can always come back.

45 RhodeyGirlTests February 2, 2010 at 6:32 pm

I thought he said “sexpectations”

lol!

46 lessonstolearn February 2, 2010 at 6:52 pm

I love that you gave Derek the questions to answer himself. Good answers! It’s nice you can both be so laid back about your relationship and be so in the moment. I always had trouble with that when I was dating.

47 inmytummy February 2, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Aww, Derek’s answers are so sweet.

48 Jamie February 2, 2010 at 7:58 pm

awwww, derek seems like he’s a keeper! and i’ve never thought of putting cucumber on a veggie burger… i guess it makes sense but i’ve just never thought about doing it…

49 theprocessofhealing February 2, 2010 at 8:16 pm

Oh my gosh… that last line from Derek almost made me cry!! Meghan, you are one lucky girl (and you’re one lucky guy too Derek, for that matter haha). You guys seem great together and have the best view on dating and marriage. It’s wonderful that you are just taking it day by day.. that’s the way to go. You can’t plan for everything in life, it’s impossible!

50 Sarah (Shep) February 2, 2010 at 8:17 pm

you guys are tooooooo cute! the perfect “couples” post just in time for valentines day 🙂

51 K February 2, 2010 at 8:29 pm

you and derek are cute! I don’t know why people ask about marriage. You two are young! Enjoy life! What happens, will happen! 🙂

52 Rachael February 2, 2010 at 8:44 pm

You two are so cute! I feel this way about my current boyfriend (a year and a half strong). I loved that he got to respond as well.

P.S. I bought dried kiwi today for the first time! It looks so delicious in all your photos, I thought I’d have to give it a shot! Yummy!

53 angie February 2, 2010 at 9:06 pm

How sweet….I totally feel like I am watching a romantic comedy…..totally rooting for you guys! You seem like a perfect fit!

54 islandgirleats February 2, 2010 at 9:43 pm

I loved Derek’s answers – especially #5! My husband and I spend a lot of time apart due to his travel for work. We make it work and have for the last 14 years! Distance makes the heart grow fonder!

55 Angie February 2, 2010 at 9:47 pm

I love the honesty of the both of you! It’s so refreshing. I feel like you hit “The Age” and people assume you’re headed for marriage immediately. You guys are just having fun, and it’s not to say it CAN’T lead there, but it doesn’t have to right at this moment. How freeing to not have that kind of pressure! Good for you guys.

56 Annie February 2, 2010 at 9:54 pm

AWWWWWWW… too cute, stop it 🙂

57 Joey February 2, 2010 at 10:10 pm

his answers were adorable! you two make a very cute couple! 🙂 congrats!

58 Deirdre February 2, 2010 at 11:07 pm

Loved this post! I HATE how commenters always jump right to marriage. You and Derek are obviously very happy just being together. That is awesome in itself.

59 Jenna February 3, 2010 at 12:01 am

Great Derek questions!

60 MaryZ February 3, 2010 at 12:17 am

I love that you two are on the same page! One day at a time is so great!

61 Kristy February 3, 2010 at 2:12 am

omg his response was so sweet! I read it to my boyfriend. once we graduate, we will also have to do the long distance thing, 4-6 hours depending on what happens in the next few months. =/

62 Rosey Rebecca February 3, 2010 at 7:54 am

My professor told us about a couple he knew that is married. The woman lives in DC while the man lives in NYC and they are completely happy that way!

63 dianacheung February 3, 2010 at 8:48 am

I loved this! 🙂 new reader but now I think I know everything..well..almost!

64 R. February 3, 2010 at 9:02 am

I love Derek’s response! He’s a keeper. 😉

65 rachael February 3, 2010 at 9:15 am

I love Derek’s response! If he is willing to let the world read #4, he is definitely worth hanging on to!

66 Mel @ She Runs Brooklyn February 3, 2010 at 10:23 am

The last two sentences of Derek’s response just gave me the chills.

67 jenngirl February 3, 2010 at 10:39 am

You guys both have really great perspectives in your answers. I wish you two more happiness and fun as time goes on! 🙂

68 Leah February 3, 2010 at 11:54 am

“Let’s put it this way…she puts a smile on my face that can’t be replicated, duplicated, or imitated…and whatever direction I have to go to keep that up, that’s the road I want to be on.”

OMG I adore him! He’s a keeper! 😉

69 Retta @ RunRettaRun February 3, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I have to second what Leah, the poster above me said! That is just too sweet!

70 Heather Eats Almond Butter February 3, 2010 at 8:51 pm

Derek sounds like a keeper. 🙂

So jealous of your trampoline cardio class. That would be SO MUCH FUN!

71 Jordan February 4, 2010 at 9:20 am