The Waffle Debate

by Meghann on February 2, 2010

Happy Groundhog Day!

Did anyone else have nightmares when they were little about the movie Groundhog Day? I always seemed to repeat exam days over and over again. Having to repeat a bad day and be pretty scary!

Lately I have been trying to save money and one of the places I thought I would start would be my $5 box of Clif Z-bars every other week. I usually eat half a z-bar before my run each morning. They are easy and tasty, but I knew there are better (cheaper) alternatives out there.

Last night I made a batch of Tina’s [re]fuel bars to experiment with as a replacement.

IMG_8124

I divided the bars in half and ended up with 8 squares.

IMG_8128

This morning I had one of the squares on my way to the apartment gym. The square was tasty, chewy, and just the right amount of fuel I needed to get through my morning work out. I think we have a winner here!

Speaking of work out, I have officially entered week 2 of my Gasparilla Training Plan.  On the plan for today was another fartlek similar to the one I completed last week.

Feb2

Again, I completed the fartlek on the treadmill and it actually wasn’t that bad. I got a good sweat in and was able to watch my favorite morning news programs.

Breakfast came from the freezer this morning.

IMG_8131

I always freeze any extra waffles I make over the weekends. This particular one came from a batch I made a couple of weekends ago.  I just popped the squares in the toaster and had a crispy homemade waffle for breakfast.

IMG_8132

I topped my waffles with a warm mix of apple, pumpkin butter, and peanut butter.

IMG_8140

On Sunday Derek and I had a little debate on what we considered to be a ‘whole waffle’. The recipe I was using yielded three waffles. When I read that I assumed it meant three whole waffles as in the entire waffle iron filled with batter. When Derek read it he assumed it meant three individual squares of waffles.

The recipe only ended up yielding three squares ( I had to double it to produce breakfast for both of us), but it really got me thinking.

Usually when I say I want a waffle for breakfast I mean two waffle squares because I refer to the whole waffle iron as one waffle. For instance I would consider today’s breakfast one waffle. When Derek says he wants two waffles I always assume that means two full waffle irons of waffle when he really means two squares. It gets confusing.

We used to have this beautiful 4 square waffle iron when I was growing up and my Dad would always serve us the full waffle (4 squares). I remember one time my uncle made us breakfast and only gave me half (or 2 squares) and I threw a fit because I wanted a WHOLE waffle. I think I just have waffle issues. 🙂

If you use a waffle iron do you consider the full waffle iron ONE waffle or if its a two square iron would you refer to is as TWO waffles?

Man what I just wrote was really confusing! I hope it makes sense! lol

Q&A

Question: Do you think Twitter is useful or detrimental to blogging?

I think its useful for keeping me entertained. 🙂

I’ll admit at first I was a little frightened of twitter, but now I am obsessed. I actually find it very useful for blogging because most of my favorite bloggers tweet when their posts go up. To me twitter has become to the new google reader. It’s also great for connecting with my readers and other bloggers outside of regular comments. I feel like I can have actual conversations with people. I love it!

Question: I love your blog, but have to ask – do you proofread it? You have more typos than anyone else I read

I know! I know! I write most of my posts in such a hurry that I rarely have a chance to proofread! I’m sorry. 🙁

Honestly, I am not even sure why people read my blog. I swear every time I look back I cringe at all my typos and grammatical errors. I’ll admit its a bit embarrassing sometimes.

With that being said, I am trying really hard to get in the habit of proofreading before publishing. I know a few mistakes still make it through, but I am trying. The blogging software I use does have spell checker installed, but spell checker does not catch everything. For instance yesterday I meant to write ‘resume’ and accidentally put ‘recipe’ (don’t ask me how recipe came out?). Since recipe is a real word spell checker overlooked the error.

Question: Do you ever take plain rest days–not active rest days?

I do! In fact I took one last Saturday when I had to be up early for Derek’s race and we went straight to Tampa afterwards. I don’t plan plain-rest days they just kind of happen and I go with the flow.

1 megzzwinsatlife February 2, 2010 at 10:15 am

I think a waffle in 2 or 4 squares put together.. I want a waffle maker so bad.. I often have typos in my post as well so I don’t mind yours 🙂 Loving the question and answers!!

2 megan February 2, 2010 at 10:19 am

hmm…my waffle iron makes thinner smaller ones than yours. it doesn’t separate them into “squares” it all kind of comes out like a diamond. so i assume one waffle is whatever comes out of one time of using the waffle iron, if that makes sense?

I LOVE waffles. I always use my mom’s recipe from an old betty crocker cookbook. it’s so good…they’re addicting!

3 Stephanie February 2, 2010 at 10:22 am

I LOVE reading your blog typos and all- I think its rediculous of people to be so critical of something so unimportant!

4 ht February 2, 2010 at 9:21 pm

agree!

5 Kristen February 2, 2010 at 10:22 am

Your typos add character!!! No one is perfect!

6 Madeline - Greens and Jeans February 2, 2010 at 10:26 am

I had a pretty similar workout this morning! My cross country coach would always tell us that fartleks are good for the soul (I’m pretty sure none of us believed him). I’m a pancake gal, but your waffles make me question that sometimes!

7 Derek February 2, 2010 at 10:27 am

Wanna know how avid a reader I am of graduatemeghann.com? You answered the same question is back to back posts… 🙂

Question: How many minutes/hours a day do you spend reading health/fitness/food blogs? Or you could give a weekly average.

8 Meghann February 2, 2010 at 10:33 am

crap. I thought I had deleted the ones I had already answered from my list. I guess I missed one. Its gone now. 🙂

9 skinnyrunner February 2, 2010 at 10:28 am

ive never owned a waffle maker but now i think i should get one and get this waffle debate started! or not.

10 Neely February 2, 2010 at 10:29 am

I love this ask me anything deal… very entertaining.

Just to add … it’s “Groundhog Day” without the “‘s” and it’s a cinematic piece of brilliance from the amazing Bill Murray. 🙂

11 Meghann February 2, 2010 at 10:32 am

Thank you! I fixed the mistake 🙂

12 Neely February 2, 2010 at 11:18 am

Meghann,

Major props to you for your recent blogging entries. You have been so honest and I know readers appreciate it.

PS – You have inspired me to try Menchie’s this week. 🙂

13 Meghann February 2, 2010 at 11:26 am

You should wait and go Wednesday or Thursday night. That way I can go too! 🙂

14 dianacheung February 2, 2010 at 10:30 am

I have TONS of typos..and I consider myself educated…but I’m not a great speller…

15 Erin February 2, 2010 at 10:32 am

I’ve never owned a waffle maker but, in my expert opinion, those waffles look delicious. 😉

16 Runeatrepeat February 2, 2010 at 10:35 am

The last time I made waffles it was a complete disaster 🙁 But if I ever make them again I’d want the whole waffle maker! I consider it one.

17 kelbell718 February 2, 2010 at 10:38 am

I love interval workouts, I feel like the time goes by so much faster, and you end up getting a better workout. Fartlek, is fun, you should try musical fartlek instead of just running by a set time! It mixes it up.

18 culturalcravings February 2, 2010 at 10:40 am

I have to admit I’m going to join Derek’s side of the waffle argument. 🙂 I consider each square to be a waffle, though this doesn’t mean I refrain from eating everything produced by the waffle iron in one go.

19 Marissa February 2, 2010 at 10:40 am

I need to make waffle irons. I bought one a little bit ago and I have not tried it yet!

20 Molly @vegandorm February 2, 2010 at 10:41 am

I consider one waffle to be one waffle, two waffles/iron. I’ve never heard of one waffle/iron. I guess it kind of makes sense though!
As far as proofreading, the typos don’t really bother me, and I’m one of those people who hates bad grammar.

21 Laura Georgina February 2, 2010 at 10:51 am

A waffle was a single square in my book–but I like your definition better, so I’m taking it and running (fartlekking?) with it!

22 Sarah February 2, 2010 at 10:53 am

I enjoy reading your blog but I one of those people that gets annoyed by spelling mistakes and poor grammar (looks like a lot of other people don’t care about this sort of thing, though! Maybe I’m the one with the problem!). I’ve always felt that you are a great writer but consistent spelling & grammar mistakes sometimes make me think that you see your blog less seriously (or less professionally) than other bloggers. I’m glad you answered this question and that you know you could improve in this way. I imagine that answering all of these reader questions is difficult and humbling so thanks for being brave enough to put everything out there!

23 Sarah February 2, 2010 at 10:53 am

I enjoy reading your blog but I’m one of those people that gets annoyed by spelling mistakes and poor grammar (looks like a lot of other people don’t care about this sort of thing, though! Maybe I’m the one with the problem!). I’ve always felt that you are a great writer but consistent spelling & grammar mistakes sometimes make me think that you see your blog less seriously (or less professionally) than other bloggers. I’m glad you answered this question and that you know you could improve in this way. I imagine that answering all of these reader questions is difficult and humbling so thanks for being brave enough to put everything out there!

24 Sarah February 2, 2010 at 10:55 am

Argh! I knew this would happen…as soon as I start complaining about grammar I’d make a mistake in my own comment. So sorry! Even those of us who are annoying about correct grammar have our own issues. 🙁

25 Meghann February 2, 2010 at 11:00 am

No worries. Thank you for your comment. 🙂 And thank you for reading my blog despite my many spelling and grammar errors.

26 Doug February 2, 2010 at 11:00 am

I love when people call me out on my grammar. Blogs are always written on the whim.. thats the beauty of blogging.

27 bobbi February 2, 2010 at 11:02 am

Megs, I am one of the worst spellers out there!!! No worried 🙂 I made those bars too, but I still haven’t tried them. I packed them in my lunch today! I love your training schedule I can’t wait to start training for another BQ in one more week!!! Have a great day!

28 RhodeyGirlTests February 2, 2010 at 11:04 am

I have never considered the waffled debate before!

I always get confused with baking mixes… are they giving you the nutritional information for just the mix or the mix prepared the way on the box? Is 1/4 cup for the mix or the prepared item? I just give up usually.

29 Brynn February 2, 2010 at 11:06 am

The way I think about it, you ate two waffles this morning. That’s probably just because I’m used to freezer waffles, not homemade ones and they’re about the size of one square, not the whole iron.

30 foodfitnessandfreya February 2, 2010 at 11:07 am

I agree with what people said above – typos show your human! Too perfect, and it’s like a machine wrote it :s Plus I’m all for mistakes in typing cos I make them ALL the time – just writing that sentence, I made 5!!
I think 1 waffle is 1 square of waffle (I think I’m on Derek’s side here?) BUT I don’t have a waffle maker, so if I had one I might feel differently!
Meh, waffles still taste good no matter how many you have – the more the merrier IMHO!

31 Heather (Heather's Dish) February 2, 2010 at 11:08 am

you know, that’s a great question with the waffles…i always assumed it was for the full waffle iron! i just like to eat them, and don’t do it very often, so I just eat what I want and call it a day 🙂

32 Meg February 2, 2010 at 11:13 am

Eh, who cares if you make a few spelling errors here and there – your blog is awesome, and as long as it’s understandable (which it ALWAYS is, spelling error-or-not) that’s all that matters!

Glad you enjoyed your new pre-workout money saver 🙂
Meg

33 Esther February 2, 2010 at 11:15 am

I love your blog! I’m always impressed at how much content you are able to put up each day (with a full time job and active social life!), so any mistakes made don’t bother me at all.

On the whole waffle thing, I would have to agree that 1 waffle = 1 square. If I were to go to a restaurant and order a “3 waffle and egg combo,” I would expect to get 3 squares of waffles. I guess it would depend on the type of waffle maker.

34 Run Sarah February 2, 2010 at 11:24 am

I would think 1 waffle = 1 square! Those homemade granola bars look great. I buy tons of Clif bars when I visit the US and my stock is running low; I’ll have to try these out as a substitute.

35 melissa February 2, 2010 at 11:26 am

Don’t worry, I am sure I have way more typos than you! I also cringe when I look back!

36 Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle February 2, 2010 at 11:27 am

Hahaha- waffle issues, maybe. I agree with you, the whole entity coming out of the waffle iron is one waffle. I miss my dad making us waffles! I really need a waffle iron..

37 eaternotarunner February 2, 2010 at 11:28 am

My thinking would be that one square is one waffle….but it could go either way!

I am still scared of twitter haha

38 Katie @ Health for the Whole Self February 2, 2010 at 11:29 am

I don’t own a waffle iron (YET!) so I can’t comment on the waffle debate. But I did want to say that I’m very inspired by your approach of making homemade goodies and then freezing them. More often than not I just buy pre-made bars, waffles, etc. – but making them myself and freezing them would be a great way to save money (and they’re healthier that way too!) So thanks for the inspiration 🙂

39 courtlove111 February 2, 2010 at 11:30 am

I have those repeat dreams sometimes…where I’m doing something over and over and not getting anywhere. Sometimes I dream I’m getting ready for my wedding and can’t find my makeup and I’m searching over and over. UGH!! Getting anxious just thinking about it!
Mmmmmm waffles!
Courtney
adventures in tri-ing

40 DiningAndDishing February 2, 2010 at 11:51 am

hahahaha, meghann, that was the most in-depth waffle iron analysis i think i will ever see 🙂

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

41 whitneyinchicago February 2, 2010 at 11:54 am

I get my fiance to read all my posts quickly after they go up to correct the mistakes. I know you post far more often, but it would just take a fresh pair of eyes a minute to correct the mistakes.

42 Morgan @ Life After Bagels February 2, 2010 at 11:56 am

I cannot chime into your waffle debate since I don’t make them, I just buy them already frozen!

43 Ashley February 2, 2010 at 12:00 pm

I have a Belgian waffle maker…it eliminates whole waffle square dilemma since it’s a circle haha 😉

44 emily February 2, 2010 at 12:09 pm

I count the whole waffle as a serving (mine makes 4 minis if you were to break them up, but I don’t). One batch of waffle mix usually makes 9 large waffles, or 36 minis.

I think you’ve gotten better with spelling and grammar in the past few months. I think you’re a good writer and you definitely make up for any problems with original content and pictures. You always have great ideas and think outside the box when it comes to cooking!

45 Kate February 2, 2010 at 12:13 pm

I don’t even really see your typos anymore because I can usually figure out what you’re trying to say and it makes me giggle a little! They add fun to the post. No one is perfect, I think you are an awesome blogger!

46 thedelishdish February 2, 2010 at 12:19 pm

i had some leftover weekend frozen waffles for breakfast this morning as well…soo worth it to make a bit more and have extra for the week. haha the waffle debate can get confusing but ive always considered the full waffle iron one waffle!

47 Lauren February 2, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Ah, blog typos–it’s what makes every blog unique! I’m a creative writing instructor, and god knows I make my fair share of grammatical mistakes in my emails, etc. Everyone does it!

In other news (I’m not sure if we’re supposed to keep this anonymous), but thank you for answering my question about rest days! I was curious to read your answer. I mainly take active rest days (yoga, gentle swim, etc.) and have been harshly criticized by some of my friends, etc. for not “truly resting.” Whatever…

48 Lauren February 2, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Well, I certainly made my fair share of typos in that very post, too 😉

49 Sammi February 2, 2010 at 12:31 pm

I personally like the typos! It makes you seem more human and allows me to relate to you better honestly. I RARELY proof read my posts (or even essays for school!) It just gets so boring and I usually stop and just submit it halfway through proof reading. I get really embarrassed when I post typos as well but I try not to worry about it tooo much. I guess it’s just denial!
Keep the typos 🙂 they make me smile!

For the waffle question, I think it depends on the waffle iron. Your breakfast would be considered two waffles for me; however, my waffle iron produces huge circle waffles that do have four sections but I still consider the whole circle to be one waffle. The waffle irons at my work produce four small circle waffles that aren’t connected at all (unless you make a mess!) but they’re tiny.

50 Gina February 2, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Just wanted to comment on the question about prroffreeding 🙂 I love your blog and read it everyday and never have been bothered by anything misspelled! So pay no attention to that proofreading question! Keep doin’ what you’re doin’!

51 tiffnie February 2, 2010 at 12:53 pm

I’ve been really enjoying your Q&A posts, can’t wait to see what else has been asked and/or how you will answer. And no need to feel bad over any typos/grammar mistakes; it happens to everyone!

52 adrienmelaine February 2, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Those granola/protein bars look delicious!

I’m loving the blog– I’m doing a tea giveaway on mine if you want to try a new something delicious

53 Fallon February 2, 2010 at 1:07 pm

hahaha your waffle debate is way too funny! I agree with your boyfriend. I have a 2 waffle iron maker. I believe 1 square=1 waffle and 2 squares does not= 1 waffle. They split in the middle and usually don’t stay together.

54 Heather February 2, 2010 at 1:11 pm

I ALWAYS type random words I don’t mean…it’s so frustrating!! (And they make sense in my head so it takes me awhile to catch them!)

55 Jacquie February 2, 2010 at 1:28 pm

I have to admit that I think of a waffle as one square like Derek said. I think it’s more because when I was growing up, my waffles were usually Eggos and they’re individual. Now I have my own waffle iron, but I still consider that 2 waffles each batch. I guess it’s just what you’re used to!

56 Elina February 2, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Haha, I’m with Derek on the waffle thing. You had 2 waffles this morning, my dear. 😉

57 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) February 2, 2010 at 1:45 pm

I’m with Derek on this one. But now I’m got to ask my husband for his opinion, I’m curious!!!

58 Hangry Pants February 2, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Wow, I never thought about waffles that much, but I think 1 square or circle = 1 waffle if they are separated. If connected, one is one. I think yours in the pictures are 2 waffles because they are 2 separated pieces.

59 Jamie February 2, 2010 at 1:55 pm

im confused about the waffle debate even after rereading it multiple times! haha… just give me some/any/a few/a square/whole waffles and ill be happy!

60 Bec February 2, 2010 at 1:57 pm

I will definitely have to try out that recipe, not buying Cliff bars would be a great way to save some money!

61 Matt February 2, 2010 at 2:14 pm

I never have that problem because my waffle iron is a circle 😉

62 Stephanie February 2, 2010 at 2:34 pm

I have a comment about the typo debate, too:

The (kinda, but not in a mean way) bad: I do notice your typos and think that you have more than many other bloggers.

But…

The Good: Your typos are because of speed, not ignorance, and that shows.

I REALLY, REALLY admire the fact that you blog 3x a day and work full-time. It’s not really mentioned in healthy-living-food-blog-land, but so few of the 3x/day, regular bloggers work full-time. Although they are all busy, who isn’t?! The strict confines of a 9 – 5 presents a lot of challenges and requires dedication to blog like you do. I respect your blog so much because of your exercise dedication, food thoughtfulness, and your committment to your career. That is a trifecta that is hard to find. Keep doing what you’re doing.

63 Megan February 2, 2010 at 2:35 pm

I think I’m on Team Derek in the Great Waffle debate as well.

I’m doing a fartlek tonight–isn’t it surprisingly fun!? I can never believe when it’s over, and it makes six harder miles feel WAY easier than just chugging through 3 or 4 on the tmill!

64 theprocessofhealing February 2, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Haha I’ve debated that several times as well. In my opinion, if you say a whole waffle, I’d think the entire waffle iron. BUT as far as frozen waffles go, they come one individual square at a time. So i think it depends :/ I’m not sure there is a right answer?

But I love freezing homemade waffles, so convenient and so much better than store bought!

And don’t worry about the grammatical errors.. Honestly, I always notice that kind of thing usually but I’ve actually never noticed one in your posts. And i’ve been reading your blog for a loooong time.

65 Holly February 2, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Although blogging is supposed to be free-spirited and devoid of constraints, I also think that many blogs are more than just ‘blogs.’ When you make money off of something and work at something, I fully believe you have a right to make it professional. I think grammar is so important, and that the product you put out there is a reflection of you. I think it looks better, shows more credibility and makes for a much better product when you take the time to fix the small errors. Obviously, there are going to be grammatical/spelling slips, but I think that IS important when blogging.

Those are my two cents. Have a wonderful day 🙂

66 Chelsea February 2, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Ummmm, I’d just like to say that YOU DO NOT HAVE THE MOST TYPOS. Seriously.

As for waffles I agree with YOU!

67 Caroline February 2, 2010 at 3:37 pm

I always think of a waffle as a whole waffle maker! Your posts have definitely gotten better as far as typos are concerned 🙂

68 Niki @ Niki's Neverending Adventure February 2, 2010 at 4:47 pm

I love reading your blog and definitely don’t care about typos! I’m bad about it myself!! Sadly, I don’t think I’ve ever made a Waffle! Gasp, I know! Maybe I should invest in a waffle iron and change that?!

I like to do my Fartleck/Speed runs on the treadmill too! Much easier to stay at the correct pace! Plus I always catch up on my DVR!!

69 Niki @ Niki's Neverending Adventure February 2, 2010 at 4:47 pm

PS: Those refuel bars look yummy! Seems like everyone is making them! Guess I better jump on the bandwagon too!

70 Bridget February 2, 2010 at 4:49 pm

In my family 1 waffle is the whole waffle iron of waffle-y goodness. We had a big square 4-segment waffle iron…the kind that makes thinner waffles…mmmm. So sometimes I’d just want half, or maybe follow up with a quarter but 1 waffle is what comes out of the iron 🙂 Ok I want waffles now!

71 melissa February 2, 2010 at 5:25 pm

You have two waffles on your plate for breakfast.

72 Lori February 2, 2010 at 5:45 pm

I would say 1 square is 1 waffle. So, your waffle iron would make 2 at a time… 😉

73 Brittany February 2, 2010 at 7:09 pm

I’m wondering if the person who asks the typo question has ever read my blog, because I always find typos in my posts as well!! For some reason what I think I am typing doesn’t quite come out as so.

And, I’m a horrible speller. Love spell check- except when it doesn’t catch things.

74 kristilyn February 2, 2010 at 7:14 pm

I agree, waffles are a tricky thing! I would assume a waffle is the WHOLE waffle iron. I guess all you could really do, if you’re making them from scratch, is add up all the ingredients calorie totals and see what happens. If it’s huge for a waffle the size of the whole iron, then maybe it’s more than one serving.

Either way, waffles are delicious! I should definitely make some and freeze them. Much better than buying already-frozen waffles!

K

75 Heather February 2, 2010 at 10:55 pm

So, I’ve been reading your blog for about six months… discovered you through Tina and Kath. I’ve gotta say, your blog has become my favorite. I love how self-aware you are; you never seem to be portraying an image that isn’t real. Your response to the typo complaint really says a lot about who you are. You totally owned it, and that’s really commendable. Keep up the fab blog!

76 Jenna February 2, 2010 at 11:59 pm

Depends on how big the waffle iron is!