Welcome to February

by Meghann on February 1, 2010

You know you’ve entered your birthday month when e-mails such as these begin to pop up in your inbox.

birthday2

BIRTHDAY1

birthday3

Three cheers for free birthday gelati and frozen yogurt! ;)

Seeing those e-mail brought a BIG smile to my face this morning. I can’t believe there is only one more week left in my 24th year. Come next Monday I turn the big 2-5. Yikes!

As much as I am not a fan of actually getting older (is it to late to just keep celebrating my 21st birthday over and over again?) I do LOVE birthdays! There is something about the whole birthday month that just makes everything feel special.

I think all the birthday promos help with that. I mean free frozen yogurt? I can live with that.

I began the last week of my 24th year with some nice yoga this morning. I love, love, love practicing yoga the day after my long runs. All the stretching really helps my body recover.

Breakfast was a standard bowl of cereal. (My apologies for the poorly lit photos. The sun was hiding this morning.)

IMG_8045

IMG_8048

The bowl was delicious. I really think it was the pumpkin yogurt that pushed it to the top. :)

Your Questions Answered…

I have designated some space at the bottom of each post this week to answer all the questions you guys asked on Friday.

Keep in mind I will try my best to answer each and every question. I have combined questions that were similar for repetitive purposes. i.e. I had 15 questions that were directed to how much I weigh, so instead of listing all 15 I will just list 1. :)

Question : How much do you weigh, how tall are you and what size jeans do you wear?

I received quite a few questions very similar to this one. It seems like my weight is a hot topic and judging by the format in which some of these questions were asked I believe many of you might be surprised by the numbers. Normally I would not answer this question, but as I did say ‘Ask Anything’ here goes nothing.

Height: 5’4”

Weight: 121 lbs (as of 1/31)

Jeans: 2 or 4 (depending on brand)

There you have it. Pretty much what you were expecting?

I think someone’s weight is so hard to judge in pictures because of how different people carry it. That’s why to me weight isn’t as important as how my clothes fit.

Question: Why do you eat almond butter instead of peanut butter? Is AB healthier? Tastier?

Great question. Its probably debatable if almond butter is healthier than peanut butter. Lord knows I won’t even begin to guess on that one, but in my opinion it is definitely tastier. You see I have a bit of a secret. Though I love peanut butter cookies, peanut butter ice cream, peanut butter pretzels, and peanut butter chocolates I can not stand plain peanut butter from the jar. I don’t even like licking the jarred peanut butter from my fingers! I know, I know call me a weirdo, but I’m just not a fan of plain peanut butter. Almond butter, in my opinion, tastes 1000 times better straight up than peanut butter. :)

Question: How much of your food goes undocumented? (Especially during marathon training)

I would say I document 90% – 95% of what I eat on the blog. The other 5% – 10% are bites here and there that I forget to document. For instance, I am a terrible nibbler when it comes to preparing meals. Its usually one scoop of cereal for my bowl and one small handful in my mouth as I prepare my morning breakfast. I also will randomly grab pieces of dried fruit or a small handful of cereal from the cabinets after work or will grab a couple of grapes or strawberries when ever I stare at the fridge deciding what’s for dinner.

Question: Does your sis still have a blog?

No, she does not. A few of you have asked me if she has it on a private setting or not, but as far as I know she has completely discarded it. She is super busy with grad school and sadly could not find the time to keep blogging. I will tell you that she is doing really well and just started work on her thesis.

You can follow Kelly through twitter at http://twitter.com/BNeathitall

1 theprocessofhealing February 1, 2010 at 10:26 am

I love the questions and I admire you for being so open and honest!

I agree about weight, I think it’s really hard to tell from pictures and it’s so subjective. 120 pounds on one person may look entirely different than 120 pounds on another. And that’s really interesting about PB!! I love PB by itself but I think almond butter has much more flavor. Ever since I started eating almond butter, I actually prefer it over PB.. regardless of nutritional value.

2 Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete February 1, 2010 at 10:26 am

I know how it is so be busy with a masters!! Wow, it is great to get to know you a little better. You seemed so much taller in your photos!! lol

3 megan February 1, 2010 at 10:31 am

that’s funny that so many people asked about your weight. of all the questions I thought to ask (actually i haven’t asked any), that not one that I was curious about. :)

i’ve only tried almond butter once, but it just didn’t seem to have much flavor…i missed the sugar from my Jif peanut butter :)

4 Ashley February 1, 2010 at 10:35 am

I was just wondering the other day if almond butter was somehow nutritionally “better” than peanut butter. Gotta say, I prefer peanut butter–maybe it’s just the brand of almond butter I bought (Whole Foods’ crunchy kind), but it tastes very bland to me.

5 Erin February 1, 2010 at 10:36 am

I just left my birthday month with some great goodies — a few free meals and ice cream, Starbucks drinks and even a random coupon for an oil change. Nothing says “happy birthday’ like fresh motor oil. ;)

6 Brittney February 1, 2010 at 10:40 am

I need to figure out how to get on some of these lists for free stuff. My birthday is tomorrow and I have not gotten anything. Definitemy something I need to look into :)

7 eaternotarunner February 1, 2010 at 10:43 am

I also kinda love my birthday, just not getting older. Free frozen yogurt does make it pretty awesome though!

Love the Q&A! I still can’t get around to liking AB as much as PB though ;-)

8 Becca February 1, 2010 at 10:53 am

Maybe yoga is what i need to try today…I’m super sore from my long run on Saturday…still!!

9 Jamie February 1, 2010 at 10:54 am

wahoo! happy almost birthday! for some reason I’ve missed getting all the free stuff when my birthday happened! booo…. anyway, glad yoga went well this morning! lots of time to plan what you want on your froyo ;)

10 Rose February 1, 2010 at 10:59 am

Go 25! Woot, Woot!

11 thefitbridesmaid February 1, 2010 at 11:02 am

I agree about birthdays. I celebrate practically the entire month (I’ve already told the boyfriend we can’t get married in October since it’d be too close to my birthday). Anyway, despite the fact that he makes fun of me I just say ENJOY IT and EVERYTHING THAT GOES WITH IT!!! (Can you tell I’m an attention whore?))

12 foodfitnessandfreya February 1, 2010 at 11:09 am

I agree about birthdays too – Mine isn’t til May and I’m already excited :P
And I’m exactly the same with picking at food too! EVERY. TIME. I walk into my kitchen, I get a blob of PB on my finger :P and lunch and dinner always have at least 2 more muushrooms or tomatoes..breakfast is always a spoon extra of granola….haha :)
Enjoy your last week!! (Gosh it sound slike you’re about to die :s No, happy thoughts, happy thoughts!!)

13 Running on Faith February 1, 2010 at 11:13 am

I agree with you! Turning 25 is pretty monumental in my mind. You kinda had the date blocked for 21, then after that you are like wait what’s the next big one?? Let’s say it is 25! I have a few more months, but I love the upbeat nature of one’s birthday week. Have fun with it :)

14 Kate February 1, 2010 at 11:13 am

This is so cool that you are doing this! It takes a lot of courage to allow the readers to dictate what they want to know…thanks for your honesty and openness!

15 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) February 1, 2010 at 11:14 am

I have a crazy infatuation with birthdays…not my own but other people’s. I love that every person has their own special day and no buts about it.

When I was younger I always asked people ‘at what age would you not want to get any older.’ Because as a kid you keep wanting to get older and older and then at some point you stop right? I think my answer would be 25 :)

16 kelbell718 February 1, 2010 at 11:26 am

I hate when people ask me about my weight, I feel like I look like I weigh a lot less then I do, and that the number doesn’t reflect it. And then I hate when people are like oh well you’re tall. Yeah, that’s not a good enough reason. Takes guts to talk about your weight online, nice job!

17 Heather (Heather's Dish) February 1, 2010 at 11:30 am

thanks for so honestly answering those questions! i can’t wait to read more of them the rest of this week :)

18 skinnyrunner February 1, 2010 at 11:39 am

girl you are tiny!
maybe AB is an aquired taste… I bought some from Trader Joes and it just tasted really weird to me?! maybe bc its the first time i ever had it…

19 Rachel February 1, 2010 at 11:39 am

All of that free stuff definitely makes getting older a little less troublesome. I appreciate your candidness in answering these questions. Though this is a healthy living blog, and you have talked about a few times, I’m actually surprised people asked you your weight. I guess I was raised to think that was a rude question? I don’t know! But I agree with you: fit is what matters, not the number on the scale.

20 Samantha February 1, 2010 at 11:40 am

I am the exact opposite. I can eat almond butter in my oatmeal, but really can’t stand the taste of it from the jar or in a sandwich. I love my flax pb!!

21 tramey1 February 1, 2010 at 11:46 am

The big 2-5 is coming up for me and August and I don’t know quite how I feel about it. Scary! 5 away from 30…what?!?!?! Oh well. Have a great Birth-Month! Celebrate daily! ;-)

22 khaughney February 1, 2010 at 11:51 am

Hah, I got all those emails this morning too, and I turn 25 at the end of the month!

23 Bria February 1, 2010 at 11:52 am

I must say I think it is funny that that many people asked you about your weight and jeans size. I guess this is a testament to how much you inspire others :) What surprised me is your height! hehe Meghann you are shorter than I thought! I am 5’7 (okay 5’6 1/2 if we want to get technical) but I figured you were the same height as me (not sure why?). Anyways, great idea to post the answers to your reader’s questions. Happy birthday week!

24 runningwithsass February 1, 2010 at 11:55 am

happy early birthday! I turn 25 this year too and it seems so much scarier than 24 for some reason! haha

25 Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama February 1, 2010 at 11:56 am

Happy Birthday!!! Well, early I guess =)

26 Emily February 1, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Hi Meghann-
I talked about the almonds vs peanuts debate in one of my blog posts recently. http://healthnut-em.blogspot.com/2010/01/peanuts-vs-almonds.html

I’m turning 25 this year, too! AHhh!

27 Matt February 1, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Only a few more months until my birthday :) I will be 21!

28 Heather ODonnell February 1, 2010 at 12:32 pm

I also celebrate my birthday month! Why not? I’m just sad that you got stuck with the shortest month. Bummer.

29 Allison February 1, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Happy early Birthday! I’m actually not surprised that so many people asked you about weight/height/jeans size. I think that, as a reader, it’s really easy to constantly be making comparisons between yourself and any given blogger. I’m not saying it’s right… but it’s really easy to fall into that trap. You live a great, healthy lifestyle and I think that many women (myself included) aspire to be like you. For some reason, people seem to measure that by weight/jean’s size and not how they feel. I think you’re awesome and an inspiration. You deserve the rockin’ bod that you have! Thanks for sharing your life with us.

30 Katie @ Health for the Whole Self February 1, 2010 at 1:02 pm

I appreciate your openness and honesty when it comes to the “ask anything” topics! I also appreciate that even though you shared your “stats” in terms of height, weight, and size, you still reminded all of us that weight is just a number – how we feel in our bodies and in our clothes is way more important!

31 Fallon February 1, 2010 at 1:02 pm

I think your “weight” is such an issue because people might think you eat a lot of food and how calorie dense it can be at times. Which to me I’m not surprised at your weight. You look great! You keep your workouts/runs in tack and you eat healthy. Those 2 things make up for a healthy person. Counting calories and starving oneself is not a way to lose weight and I think that is a reality check for some people! I know it was for me a few years ago. Today I eat more and still workout and have been able to maintain my same weight back when I was eating 1,000 calories a day. I feel and look better too! Plus I can wear the same size in clothes. That was a huge reality check for me and I’m glad I figured it out because 1,000 calories a day is not fun at all and not a way I’d want to live for the rest of my life. Food is way to good!

32 Elizabeth February 1, 2010 at 1:22 pm

“I think your “weight” is such an issue because people might think you eat a lot of food and how calorie dense it can be at times.”

I just have to say this is kind of an odd comment and sounds very negative. It seems more like your perception rather than others. Meghann has an incredible diet and by no means eats in a way that would suggest her weight to be anything other than what it is. I don’t mean to sound ugly, but I wouln’t catagorize her meals as ‘a lot of food’ or ‘calorie dense’. It just send a negative vibe…

33 K February 1, 2010 at 1:41 pm

I agree. That is a weird comment. I think she doesn’t eat enough to make up for the amount she runs!

34 K February 1, 2010 at 1:42 pm

oh and by the way, we are the same exact height and weight! haha

35 Fallon February 1, 2010 at 7:55 pm

I definitely didn’t mean to make it negative at all! It maybe came out wrong to you. I guess what I’m trying to say is someone who is petite and does exercise a lot has a great appetite and still maintains a great weight for her frame. Some people don’t get that when they are trying to lose weight. They tend to cut out certain foods by restriction and in the end that back fires! She is showing she lives a healthy lifestyle and eats what she wants in moderation! With the whole “weight” many people are concerned about that because they think a number is so important. Which she shows isn’t such a big deal! And I appreciate someone who doesn’t focus on a number but rather as long as they feel healthy that all that matters at the end of the day. Definitely not trying to put Meghann down or anything! Now I can see why she doesn’t speak about weight, people just become real fussy about it when it honestly isn’t even important!

36 Madeline - Greens and Jeans February 1, 2010 at 1:28 pm

I definitely thought you were taller! (Isn’t it weird how we get these feelings about height?) I just ended my birthday month and even though I’ve only been 25 for a couple of weeks, I can tell it is going to be a great year!

37 Macrae February 1, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Yay for birthdays!! You know what? Your actually in your 25th year right now and entering your 26th. (For example, when you were born and only a few months old, you were in your 1st year) Did I just make you feel really old? :)
Thanks for the honesty in the questions, your great!

38 Amber from Girl with the Red Hair February 1, 2010 at 1:52 pm

I’m not surprised by your weight/size but I definitely thought you were taller than 5″4. I would have guessed like 5″7 haha. Just goes to show you can’t tell how tall someone is by their photos!

39 thewhatkateateblog February 1, 2010 at 1:57 pm

hooray for ask anythings! have a great day :)

40 Lacey February 1, 2010 at 2:20 pm

I remember turing 25 and thinking “Wow, I’m a QUARTER OF A CENTURY old!” Lol

Enjoy your birth month!!

41 Ali February 1, 2010 at 2:35 pm

I am turning 26 next month! 25 was great, enjoy!

42 Chelsea February 1, 2010 at 2:43 pm

25 was a good year for me :) I hope it’s good for you too. Isn’t it funny that people are so concerned with weight?

43 Krista February 1, 2010 at 2:54 pm

I’m turning 25 this year too! For some reason it seems so much older than 24 to me. I guess the whole “quarter of a century” thing gets to me. For everyone saying that you are shorter than they thought… there are still some of us that are shorter that you are, so don’t worry! Thanks for being so open and honest on your blog! I look forward to reading the rest of the Q&A.

44 Lauren February 1, 2010 at 3:18 pm

I’ve been looking forward to seeing the answers to all the questions. Very interesting. I think you are right about weight-everyone carries it differently. you must be a part of some great places because I never get birthday emails like that. Very cool!

45 jeri February 1, 2010 at 3:23 pm

It’s interesting how inaccurate of a measurement weight is, in my opinion. I’m probably an inch taller than you, but the same weight. If I had to guess your weight, I would’ve thought you weighed less than me. It’s interesting how the same “pounds” can hang completely differently on two different bodies of roughly the same height. We are truly unique creatures, huh? :)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MONTH!

46 Jayce February 1, 2010 at 3:35 pm

I will be 25 this year, too, and it is definitely crazy! The thing is, I never really feel my age. I am married with a big girl job, and I still wonder sometimes when I will feel like a real adult. Hope you have a good birth month! Mmmm…. Jeremiah’s!!

47 sarah (the SHU box) February 1, 2010 at 4:04 pm

when i met you, caitlin, and tina at the summit i remember being so surprised that you were all 5’4 and under — it’s SO hard to tell height from photos!

48 Lindsey February 1, 2010 at 4:47 pm

I really enjoy your blog! It’s great! :) Your hair looks cute!

49 Niki @ Niki's Neverending Adventure February 1, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Yay for your Birthday month! I just turned 25 in December and so far it’s a great age!! Ha! Love the Q&A, thanks for being so open and honest!

50 jenngirl February 1, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Yay for birthday months!

I am a little disappointed that so many people asked what you weigh. It just makes me wish even more that people understood what being healthy was all about. Numbers have very little to do with how we look and how we feel. And if I’ve learned anything from being in recovery, it’s that 10 different people could weight the exact same number, but look completely different. I guess numbers just seem so arbitrary and pointless to me. But it’s great of you to let go of the “taboo-ness” of discussing weight and just going with it on your blog.

And it’s good to know Kelly is doing well in grad school! I was wondering about her blog, I enjoyed reading it because I’ve applied to grad school and she was giving me an idea of what it might be like for me in the coming year. But I can completely understand that she has zero time to devote to a daily blog while working so hard.

51 ZAINEB February 1, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Your sooo right bout the weight thing meghann! i am 5’6” and 115-118 pounds n i feel like u look thinner than i do!

52 Jenna February 1, 2010 at 11:35 pm

Great question and answers!