More Answers

by Meghann on February 1, 2010

Good Afternoon!

Monday is just flying by! I think the 2 hour meeting before lunch helped with that. Meetings just make the days go by so much faster, especially if they are really great, productive ones!

Before my meeting I had a chickpea blondie which held me over surprisingly well.

IMG_8056

Instead of feeling starved when the meeting let out, I still felt content and was able to do a bit of work before heading to a later than usual lunch.

Lunch was simple and delicious.

IMG_8061

A big bowl of salad

IMG_8070

• Spinach
  • Carrot
  • Mushroom
  • Cucumber
  • Tomato
  • Cashews
  • Fakin Bacon
  • Cheese
  • Olives
  • Salsa

Don’t worry there is not a big glob of poo on my salad.

IMG_8076

It is actually really tasty salsa.

IMG_8080

IMG_8073

Served with a piece of flatbread and hummus.

IMG_8066

Lunch was great, but it needed something else.

So, I had another chickpea blondie to fill me up.

IMG_8083Β

It did the trick. πŸ™‚

I meant to post this picture this morning, but I wanted to show what my new haircut looks like when I take control of styling it.

You like? I think its much better than the Miss America look from Friday.

IMG_6482

Its a rare occasion where I take the time to do my make up in the morning. As you can probably tell I’m not very good at it. I spent 30 minutes at Ulta yesterday having no clue where to start. I bought a few items, but I’m not even sure what I bought matches my skin tone, etc.

Can someone just tell me what to buy that works for my face and how to use it? I feel like I am a lost cause at this point.

More Answers…

Question: How long did it take you to find your first “real” job after graduating from college?

I graduated from FSU in April of 2007 and found my first β€˜real’ job as an Advertising Assistant at the local newspaper towards the end of July. I found the job via careerbuilder.com and went through three rounds of interviews before I was hired.

A year later when I quit and moved to Orlando I felt like I was starting at square one again. I got really, really lucky and after a month of living at home I had two great jobs offer. A couple of months ago I asked my supervisor why she hired me and she said it was because I was upbeat, had a great resume (I interned in college), and most importantly was willing to learn.

Question: What suggestions do you have for a young graduate who is trying to break out of the late night/binge drinking environment into the 9-5 world?Β  My concerns are portable lunches, exercising after work (I am NOT a morning person), and making smart choices at happy hour with my co-workers.Β  Thanks πŸ™‚

I believe a routine is key when trying to adapt to the 9-5 world. I would suggest planning everything in advance and finding a schedule that works best for you. Since you are not a morning person I would try bringing your work out clothes to work and heading straight to the gym/ running area/etc. after work. If you go home first you will want to crash. Trust me.

I also suggest packing your lunch and snacks the night before. It’s very important to remember your snacks! Just assume you will be hungry in the afternoon and come prepared. Portable lunches are easy if you have an office fridge and microwave. Leftovers make great portable lunches as well as salads, wraps, sandwiches, or even a mish mosh of eats.

Happy hour with the co-workers is a tricky situation. I usually stick with the one drink rule and just slowly sip it. No one will even realize you are still on your first drink when they are on their second or third. You could also try mocktails and quietly ask the bartender for a club soda with lime.

Good luck!

Question: Which country would you most like to visit?? (from a Londoner- hint hint- who would love to meet up!)

I just have to pick one country? I want to visit everyone of them! I would like to spend my retirement traveling the world. I would go to England, France, Greece, Australia, Spain, Portugal…. I could go on and on here.

What can I say? I love to travel! I especially love to eat while traveling. Sampling the local fare of each country I visit would be a top priority!

1 megan February 1, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Do you ever get overwhelmed when you think of all the places you want to travel? Sometimes I get really excited about it, but then I think how will i ever have the time/money to do that? traveling is expensive! haha not to kill your dream…just something i think about sometimes

2 Meghann February 1, 2010 at 3:54 pm

I know traveling is expensive, but its also addicting. My parents never traveled when they were goods so every summer growing up we set out on 2 week vacation where we got to see almost every state of the US. You name a U.S. monument I’ve probably been there! They passed their love for traveling on to me and honestly I would rather drive a crappy car, not wear make up and pay $10 for a haircut if it meant saving money for the next awesome traveling adventure. πŸ™‚

3 Evan Thomas February 1, 2010 at 3:51 pm

LOL. I had noo idea what that glob could have been at first–very relieved to see that it was salsa verde. I don’t know if I’ve ever tried a green variety of salsa; I usually go for plain, but as hot as it’ll come.

4 foodfitnessandfreya February 1, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Wow your hair looks GORGEOUS!! I like how you style it more than the pic yesterday πŸ™‚ haha makes me want to cut all my hair off and go short πŸ˜›
Oh after reading those questions, come to England!! I’m an almost-Londoner too πŸ˜›
And brown hummus-lookalike salsa? OoOer!
Have a good afternoon πŸ™‚

5 Dynamics February 1, 2010 at 3:53 pm

You have to find a hair salon that has a makeup artist. They can not only pickout your makeup for you, they will also teach you how to do it. Another option is to go to a Sephora or MAC store. They too are great at what they do. It will be an expensive trip, but once they show you how you can buy products sporadically and/or a different brand but still in the color range. I hope this helps.

6 Quinn February 1, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Light shadow for the eyes, a nice bronzer and light blush, mascara and concealer are the five staples you should have in your make up bag. They will make you glow! Seriously, if you ever need make-up tips, shoot me an email. I’m happy to put together a plan that is right for you!

7 Laura Georgina February 1, 2010 at 4:01 pm

I looooove the dark short wavy hair! It’s very funky and perfect for showing off pretty necklaces and accessories–totally suits you.

Since you’re not a big makeup person I think you can go without foundation or any heavy stuff–just find a translucent loose powder (Cover Girl makes one that matches most skin tones), blush (take a pic of yourself after a run to get a perfect match at the store later!) and mascara… With that and a nice tinted lip gloss you’ll be set for any occasion that comes your way!

8 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) February 1, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Your hair and makeup look great! It is a rare occasion that I take the time to do it too, glad I’m not the only one πŸ˜‰

9 Michelle February 1, 2010 at 4:06 pm

i’m in love with your new hair style!!! i wish i could pull it off with my hair!!

10 Ali February 1, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Your hair is sooooo cute!

11 runninghealthy February 1, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Your hair looks super cute! As for your make up… I go to the cosmetics counter and ask for a makeover and skin analysis. Usually they will do it for free if you buy some products. I use BareMinerals (which I highly recommend… very easy to blend!) and I know at the Ulta near my house they do regular makeovers using their products. You could also try Clinique, Este Lauder, etc.. at the mall. Once you figure out what colors/products work best you’ll feel more confident on your own (I know this from experience!).

12 caitlin February 1, 2010 at 4:10 pm

i have a tip for the drinking question!

get a Shandy (a Bass beer + sprite) or a wine spritzer (white wine + sprite or cold soda). That way, you’re having 1/2 the alcohol in each drink and can still get two. I struggle with only getting one drinks and/or drinking it slowly. LOL

god i sound like an alcoholic.

13 rebecca lustig February 1, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Wow your hair looks AMAZING.

And thanks for sharing more about you πŸ™‚

Hope you enjoy the rest of the day
bec xo

14 Heather (Heather's Dish) February 1, 2010 at 4:11 pm

i LOVE the hair! your make-up looks great too πŸ™‚ and, for more praise, the necklace is gorgeous!

15 Erin February 1, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Traveling and eating absolutely go hand-in-hand — that’s how I live my life and so far, so good! πŸ˜€

16 Samantha February 1, 2010 at 4:15 pm

I would never be able to pick just one country!! Salad looks amazing as well.

17 Nicci@NiftyEats February 1, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Great questions for the day. I love when you do your hair with curls. You look cute and I like the red necklace.

18 court2032 February 1, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Love the hair! Can’t wait for the race this weekend!!!

19 Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle February 1, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Your hair is really cute curled like that! Sephora and other make-up stores/ counters will do a consultation with you so you can try some products…or they might use WAY too much makeup. If you tell them what you’re looking for though, I bet it would be helpful!

20 SarahW. February 1, 2010 at 4:25 pm

i highly suggest you find a Bare Escentuals boutique and have them match you to a foundation. you are probably Fairly Light or Light.

it doesnt feel like you are wearing makeup – its the best, and great for spaztastic people like myself πŸ™‚ I used to get all streaky using liquid foundations – but no more! BE rules!

LOVE your new hair do

21 Jamie February 1, 2010 at 4:25 pm

I never eat salsa verde because the color freaks me out! Salsa is so good though that I might have to give it a shot.

Your hair looks great today and I agree that having long meetings really helps the day along!

22 abbynormally February 1, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Your hair is so cute! Do you have naturally curly hair?

23 Meghann February 1, 2010 at 4:35 pm

I wouldn’t call it ‘curly’ I would say nautrally wavy. πŸ™‚

24 Jul February 1, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Love the hairstyle! If you do get some good makeup tips — I would LOVE to see a post about this! I never know what to do, either – and often I feel too rushed in the a.m. to even try. Any and all suggestions would be fantastic!

25 eaternotarunner February 1, 2010 at 4:47 pm

I’d love to give you makeup advice but I don’t know anything about it either! I also want to travel pretty much anywhere and everywhere πŸ™‚

26 rachelkrejci February 1, 2010 at 4:47 pm

I am glad I am not the only one who doesn’t wear makeup or do their hair every day. I think I wear makeup 3-4 times a year and I am clueless in that department!

27 anne February 1, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Your hair looks great!

You should go to Sephora and ask for help. You could even take in the items you just bought to show them what you use.

I would suggest trying the Bare Escentuals mineral makeup. It’s a little expensive up front but it lasts a long time. Plus it makes my skin (which is uneven and blemlished) look great!

I think quality make up is a good investment. Especially for those of us in the workplace. It’s worth the time and effort to look put together.

28 Reenie February 1, 2010 at 4:49 pm

I love your hair. It looks great ~ and so does your makeup.

I LOVE Bare Essentuals makeup. Do you have Sephora there? We don’t ~ but a few of our Day Spas carry the make-up and they will put it on you and teach you how to put it on. I love the way it feels on your face……like you’re not wearing foundation at all. I will never wear liquid foundation again!! YUCK!

29 RhodeyGirlTests February 1, 2010 at 4:50 pm

WHAT ABOUT ITALY?!?!?! WOULDN’T YOU WANT TO VISIT ITALIA?!?!?!?!?!?!?!! πŸ˜‰

30 Meghann February 1, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Sorry! I should have stated that I’ve been to Italy before! Loved it though and would love to go back. πŸ™‚

31 Erin Eats and Exercises February 1, 2010 at 4:51 pm

You haircut/color is adorable! I wish I could sport a short cut like that.

Im a very simple make up person (At Sephora on a scale of 1-5, I was a 2, 1 being minimal). Everyday I use a tinted moisturizer from Cover Girl (soo 8th grade, I know) but I love it, it feels clean and light, and it does not clog my pores (http://www.amazon.com/Cover-Smoothers-Tinted-Moisturizer-Medium/dp/B000RO6ZIA). I top it off with a little bit of bronzer and call it a day!

32 Diana February 1, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Portugal? Cool. We’d love to have you. And we do have great food… πŸ˜‰

33 Karla February 1, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Love the hair and the necklace!!
I love to travel! I would definitely go to all those places you named (even if I’ve already been there)

34 Jessie February 1, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Your hair looks great curly! that is definitely a look you should keep up.

35 Angelalovesfood February 1, 2010 at 5:15 pm

My first time commenting, I think?

I love your haircut and the way you styled it today! very cute.

I would say, if you want something easier and on-the-go, go with a tinted moisterizer! make sure you get someone to help you pick which color goes best with your skin tone.

Because I bought make-up (cover-fx) which is a good mineral pressed powder, and what I initially thought was my color.. was far from what the make-up artist suggested. We even did a color test against my skin and I wouldve never guessed it but he was right!…of course (duh)

36 Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 1, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Wow your hair looks great! And I love that lunch πŸ™‚

37 Lacey February 1, 2010 at 5:16 pm

That glob of poop comment was hilarious! I actually was wondering if Maddie had gotten to your salad before you! πŸ˜‰

38 tlconrad February 1, 2010 at 5:18 pm

your hair is so cute… i like it better your style than the salon…

i definitely thought it was poo on your salad and i do not think i could get through the color

39 Amanda February 1, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Your hair looks great! The colour and cut suit you very well.

As for make-up, my basics would are a subtly shimmery champagne-coloured eyeshadow (Benefit creaseless cream eyeshadow/liner in birthday suit), black mascara, liquid liner (or dark shadow used as liner), concealer (Benefit again – their Erase Paste is great), a cream blush (Nars stick in Maui – which pretty much looks good on everyone) and some pink lip gloss. I also use foundation (Stila illuminating liquid), but that’s a step that not everyone likes to take.

The other commentors’ suggestions to head to Sephora and have someone show you the ropes is probably best.

40 Kristen February 1, 2010 at 5:31 pm

I adore your hair! As a fellow “clueless” girly girl, how did you curl your hair? What size curling iron and/or product? Love it!

41 Meghann February 1, 2010 at 5:39 pm

I use a curling iron, but I’m not sure what the size of the barrel. Its old and beat up now, but it gets the job done!

42 suzanne February 1, 2010 at 5:54 pm

I would love to see a post on how to do makeup!
As far as travel i’m hoping to visit my son in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and my daughter in Delft, Holland

43 lessonstolearn February 1, 2010 at 5:59 pm

I just tracked down the chickpea blondie recipe because they look so good!

I’m loving the Q & As!

44 Emily February 1, 2010 at 6:13 pm

Cute haircut. I’m a recent bare minerals product girl as well. I like the way it smoothes out my skin without feeling overly made up. I usually just add a pencil liner and mascara. I do love Sephora – I agree with other’s suggestion to head over there and ask for help!

45 Veronica February 1, 2010 at 6:13 pm

I would also absolutely suggest Bare Minerals!!! I have used it for years and it is the easiest to use. Sort of full-proof if you ask me! If you can find a Bare Minerals store near you, they have always been really helpful whenever I have gone in with questions. I went there before my wedding to figure out how to do my make-up!

Good Luck!!

46 adrienmelaine February 1, 2010 at 6:18 pm

The nice thing about Europe is that it’s small- and to see all the great spots you can get to most of the places within a month or two- what’s most fun is spending some time in the culture— perhaps a work exchange?!

47 deliciouswellness February 1, 2010 at 6:24 pm

I absolutely LOVE your new hair!! Nice job styling it! I’m not a makeup person either, but I picked up a spf foundation the other day, and I wear it when I feel “blah” some days. My suggestion is that you don’t wear it too often – you look great without it!

48 carolinebee February 1, 2010 at 6:25 pm

I would def suggest going to sephora or ulta, or a make up counter like clinique or stella- they are both sort of on the lighter end of make up styles (mac is a little intense!) and asking for a make up demo/tutorial, where they do your whole make up for u, and then u usually have to buy about $40 worth of make up, but it’s worth b/c u will prob want the stuff anyway!! I’ve always done that in the past and it gives u a great starting point πŸ˜€

49 Morgan February 1, 2010 at 6:29 pm

I LOVE your hair like that! Is it naturally straight or curly (should I ask in the questions section?) I would love my hair to look like that!

50 BroccoliHut February 1, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Haha, sometimes the most poo-like food is the most delicious!

51 Julia February 1, 2010 at 6:45 pm

You’re the same size and weight as me, go short people! but you have me by 7 years πŸ˜‰

52 Island Girl Eats February 1, 2010 at 7:13 pm

I think that your make-up looks pretty good. I use to work for Lancome for 5 years. My advice is always to go natural. I quite like MAC products. I think a powder is a pretty good choice as well as a nice natural blush. I am a huge fan of concealer too! Especially around the eyes if you tend to have dark shadows. I like natural eyeshadows, a nice brown eyeliner and brown mascara. I love lipgloss too. If you have any questions you can email me at islandgirleats@hotmail.com

Don’t be afraid to experiment, it is only make-up and can be washed off!

53 theprocessofhealing February 1, 2010 at 7:25 pm

I love big salads like that and salsa as a dressing is such a good idea… I can’t believe i’ve never thought of that. And I love love LOVE your hair! Cute necklace too!

I’m loving reading all of these comments on makeup… I could use some tips haha

54 theprocessofhealing February 1, 2010 at 7:26 pm

Oh I meant to say, as far as makeup goes, I swear by Bare Minerals. That stuff is amazing. It conceals blemishes and imperfections like nothing else, looks natural, not like you have a bunch of gunk on your face, and doesn’t break you out.

55 Laura @ Backstage Pass to Health & Happiness February 1, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Cute hair!

56 Gracie February 1, 2010 at 8:11 pm

you. are. GORGE!!

I absolutely love your haircut. Your so lucky that you can have the sleek, bob look and also the tossled look. Super cute =) I love your necklace too!

I don’t use face make-up often, but when I do I like using something light like Bare Escentuals or Sheer Cover. They’re both very light-weight, easy to apply, and not cakey like most other foundations.

57 Traci February 1, 2010 at 8:27 pm

I love your new haircut. Very cute!

58 Paige February 1, 2010 at 8:30 pm

How did you fix your hair? I always get mine too curly! Hot rollers? Curling iron? I gotta know, because it looks TOO cute!!!

59 Niki @ Niki's Neverending Adventure February 1, 2010 at 9:27 pm

Love the hair, it looks great!!

60 Kate February 1, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Thanks for the tips on moving from college to 9 to 5 because I am going through that process and loved hearing your ideas!

Love the hair! It looks so much more like your style with the gentle curls rather than the other way (although I love your hair straight, too…just not as big)!

61 Nicole February 1, 2010 at 9:46 pm

Hey Meghann! I am training to run my first mini marathon and I am so excited! I would say I am an intermediate runner..I used to run 40-50 miles a week then got a running injury and now am back up to around 40. I was wondering if you have an old mini training schedule or a website you recommend me to look at! I want to know how many miles a day to run/how many times a week to ensure that I will do okay!! Its in the end of april so I have a bit. Thank soo much girl! Love the blog :))

62 Sarah February 1, 2010 at 10:21 pm

The short curly hair looks ridiculously darling!! You look very chic πŸ™‚

As for makeup, it looks fantastic and I LOVE Ulta. If you ever buy a product at Ulta that you do not like, you can always take it back with a receipt. I think you did a fantastic job with the makeup.

A little tip: expensive foundation or concealer works the best since it’s directly on your skin and it’s essential to match the colors perfectly. But everything else can be drugstore brand! Maybelline has the best eye shadow!! And L’oreal has amazing mascara. And to check out product reviews: totalbeauty.com. It’s one of my favorite websites for beauty products πŸ™‚

63 Nina February 1, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Cute hair! Mineral makeup and tinted moisturizer with SPF are both low maint and natural looking . Favorites are Bare Minerals, Smashbox tinted moisturizer (or Laura Mercier if you want to splurge)

64 Ariffa February 1, 2010 at 11:11 pm

woooow miss your hair looks great! whutta babe.

65 Madeline February 1, 2010 at 11:19 pm

your hair looks AWESOME!! the color and style make your eyes really bright. thanks for posting some info about how much you spend on groceries, etc. it’s really interesting. also, i’ll need to find that pre-baked tofu. i’ve failed at making my own so many times, i basically never eat tofu at home!

66 Jenna February 1, 2010 at 11:38 pm

Salad looks great with the salsa!

67 destiny February 2, 2010 at 12:06 am

Hi, I have recently become a food blog lurker as well as revamping my whole diet, and was wondering about the “in a jar” creations i have been reading about them in other blogs as well. Can you tell me how to make them, as well as what is the deal with them and just overall explain them> Thank you so much! love your blog!

68 peachesnkate February 2, 2010 at 12:07 am

I love your hair…it is super cute! My sister and I just dyed our hair from a box for the first time two weeks ago…we ended up having to do her’s twice…the orange look wasn’t what she was going for πŸ™‚

69 Marie February 2, 2010 at 12:30 am

Thanks Meghann for answering my question — about living the 9-5 life. It’s difficult but I agree planning is key. I definitely look forward to your blog as inspiration to stay away from getting tipsy at happy hour and spending my $$ at the vending machine at work! Thanks, love your blog πŸ™‚

70 Goldie February 2, 2010 at 4:57 am

your hair and make up look absolutely gorgeous. Nice work.

71 kelbell718 February 2, 2010 at 10:34 am

Your hair cut is adorable, i’m constantly going through the cutting my hair then growing it out phase. For make-up, I would suggest browns and golds for eye shadows, and a pink blush. Looks like you did a great job though. I also always use a touch of bronzing powder on my cheeks and top of the forehead!

72 dianacheung February 2, 2010 at 10:35 am

Love your hair. BTW I’m a new reader and I can’t stop commenting…anyways, I swear by a primer. I get the smashbox light primer…a primer basically is a clear film that you put on to smooth out imperfections in your skin and mattes everything BEFORE you put on concealer or powder…I use it ALONE without putting any makeup on top sometimes just to soak up all that oil on my face. Try it. πŸ™‚

73 Paula February 2, 2010 at 12:56 pm

LOVE your hair! That is also currently my favorite salsa.

As for makeup, I’m a MAC girl. I’d recommend finding a MAC store or counter and get some help. I will warn you, they’ll try to REALLY pile it on, but insist that you just want a light, natural look. I use Studio Fix foundation http://www.maccosmetics.com/product/spp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CAT158&PRODUCT_ID=251 . It goes on just like a powder and lasts all day. So, Studio Fix, blush (MAC Blushbaby), mascara, a little neutral colored eyeshadow (MAC “Grain”) and a neutral lipstick (MAC Taupe or Spirit=my faves) or tinted lip gloss.

Have fun with it!

74 Anne P February 2, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Love the hair πŸ™‚ And that necklace!

75 kristilyn February 2, 2010 at 7:10 pm

Your hair looks beautiful! And I love that necklace. πŸ™‚

76 Joey February 4, 2010 at 10:52 pm

LOVE the new hair! so pretty!