A week with no cereal?

by Meghann on January 29, 2010

Happy Friday!

Fridays are great because I always get to sleep in a tad. Since I have dedicated them my ‘active rest day’ I wake up now at 6:00 instead of 5:30. Trust me that extra thirty minutes makes a difference.

When I did get up I did a relaxing twenty minute yoga session on yogadownload.com and then 20 more minutes of ab work.

Yesterday I realized I had gone all week without have cereal for breakfast. That is so unlike me! I made sure to fix that problem this morning.

IMG_7816

• 1/2 cup Shredded Wheat
  • 1/2 cup Kashi Warm Cinnamon H2H
  • 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean Crunch
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Pom
  • Kiwi
  • Chelsea’s Cranberry Jam

IMG_7817

Chelsea sent me some of her homemade cranberry jam a few weeks ago win a package that included the wonderful gift of her old hair straightener. I had tweeted about needing a new one and she just happened to have one lying around. Chelsea was my life saver!

IMG_7804

The jam was the perfect cereal topping. It reminded me of Christmas.

IMG_7818

Next time I’ll try it with some pumpkin yogurt!

I caved and made an appointment with the school at Aveda this afternoon for a $12 haircut. I desperately need one and can fork over 12 big ones for it. Too bad they don’t do highlights or dye jobs for $12. Those still run $50+ with my hair because its so darn thick, but I know people who have paid $30 for this hair in the past. Its cheaper than I would pay at a regular salon, but still more money than I have to spend.

Maybe a lottery ticket will be in my future as well? Just need some lucky numbers!

1 megzzwinsatlife January 29, 2010 at 9:46 am

I just realized I went all week without cereal too 🙁

I need a haircut too but it is soo expensive!!

I am going to box dye mine tonight…

Good luck with the loto! hehe

2 megan January 29, 2010 at 9:53 am

I always put off getting my hair cut. I think i went 7 months last time. my hair looked pretty bad by that point. you’re right – it just seems like a lot of money…although $12 isn’t bad at all 🙂

3 Meghann January 29, 2010 at 9:57 am

I’ve gone a year and ahalf before without getting a haircut! I’m just cheap and lazy. I REFUSE to pay $50 for a hair cut. Especially if they expect me to go every 6 weeks. I grew up going to hair cuttery for hair cuts until I discovered the aveda school in college. only sad part is I’m pretty sure I’ve never had the same person cut my hair before. lol

4 theprocessofhealing January 29, 2010 at 9:56 am

Wow I get my hair cut and highlighted for $30.. but then again, I have a family member who does it 😉 That helps. My hair is as thick as yours so I can relate.

Yummy cereal!

5 caitlin January 29, 2010 at 10:01 am

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, & 42

6 eaternotarunner January 29, 2010 at 10:12 am

Gotta have at least one day of cereal 🙂

7 courtlove111 January 29, 2010 at 10:15 am

I feel ya…I only got my hair cut once in 2009 and I’m still 0 for 0 in 2010!! I do color my own hair at home (I’ve even done successful highlights!!)…it just takes some practice. I also have thick hair, and using 2 boxes to make sure you have enough goop is necessary. I would say with hair your length you might want to have 2 boxes on hand…you will probably only use half the other box, but better to have enough than not enough!
Now if only I could figure out how to cut my own hair!!!! :>
Courtney
adventures in tri-ing

8 Karla January 29, 2010 at 10:16 am

$12 for a haircut! That’s amazing! I found a place around here that’ll do it for $35 (much less that what I use to pay in the SF/Bay Area… $70!! JEEZ!)
I bet it’ll be a fab cut! Can’t wait to see it!

9 Erin January 29, 2010 at 10:18 am

Oooh, Christmas jam? Sounds great! 😀

I’m cheap and get my haircut at Hair Cuttery. I’ve gone to fancy salons before and while the perks are nice, I’d rather just get in and out with a decent cut.

10 Madeline - Greens and Jeans January 29, 2010 at 10:21 am

I hear you on spending money for a haircut! In college I always had a friend cut my hair. I’m getting a little scraggly right now so it’s time to seek out something cheap!

11 runningwithsass January 29, 2010 at 10:22 am

I hear ya on the lottery!
and 30 minutes does make a difference in sleep for sure! (or at least my mind thinks it does!)
12 dollars for a haircut is awesome!

12 lora January 29, 2010 at 10:22 am

i dye my hair from a box (have been dying at a salon too) for almost 6 years. If you don’t like the strips in the hair because u may have missed some pieces, then go grab a box of just lowlights or highlights and put in some easy lights in the hair to blend the hair color so its not jsut one block of color. Haircuts are also overrated. I only get my bangs trimmed bc i am growing my hair out. As long as ur hair is healthy u dont need it cut.

xoxo
lo

13 Meghann January 29, 2010 at 10:27 am

I totally agree and wouldn’t be considering a hair cut except for the fact that te hair cut I had before is growing out funky in the back. I plan to have my hair evened out with some long layers and let it grow from there.

14 Julie January 29, 2010 at 10:33 am

feeling lucky today!? hope you win big if you get a lotterey ticket! .. What is the first thing you would buy?!

15 Meghann January 29, 2010 at 10:40 am

Good Question! Derek and I actually talked about that before. We both agreed that we would do the yearly pay out instead of the lump sum and just live comfortably instead of lavishly the rest of our lives. But if I had to buy something big I would buy a house (a modest house) and all the new electronics and furniture that goes in it!

16 Derek January 29, 2010 at 10:46 am

psh, don’t fib. you’d go out and buy all the coolest cooking stuff and lots of food to experiment with.

17 Julie January 29, 2010 at 10:48 am

hahah 🙂 I would go with derek on that one! I would love to buy all this crazy cooking stuff to play with!

18 Heather January 29, 2010 at 10:44 am

$12 haircut?! I’m SO jealous, that’s awesome!!! OOoo winning the lottery would be awesome. I’d keep everything the same but charter a plane to fly me to see my family and go on vacation all the time 🙂

19 Run Sarah January 29, 2010 at 11:14 am

I desperately need a new hair cut too, my problem is finding a decent and inexpensive salon as the ones near my place are upwards of $50 for a cut.

20 Running on Faith January 29, 2010 at 11:24 am

I slept in today too!!! 🙂 Yay for that.

21 foodfitnessandfreya January 29, 2010 at 11:26 am

Jam on cereal! What a fabulous idea! NEXT ON MY LIST!!

22 The Linz January 29, 2010 at 11:40 am

Your morning eats look delish. I am curious though, maybe I am weird but I ALWAYS peel off the outter skin of the kiwi. Is that weird? I have never thought to eat the kiwi with the fuzzy skin still on there. Just saw it and had to comment.

And good luck on the power ball. If Caitlin’s numbers posted above are the winning number are you gonna give her a pay out? 😉

23 Meghann January 29, 2010 at 11:44 am

Yes! I eat the peel. I really can’t taste it and I’m usually too lazy to remove it. 🙂

24 runninghealthy January 29, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Your cereal looks so colorful and delicious!

25 Heather (Heather's Dish) January 29, 2010 at 12:08 pm

$12 is a great price for a haircut! sometimes just a little change is what i need when i want to dye my hair…maybe the haircut will curb that till you can save up $$ for a salon!

26 Anna January 29, 2010 at 12:16 pm

A week without cereal is blasphemy for me too 🙂

27 Matt January 29, 2010 at 12:21 pm

It is hard for me to spend money on a haircut. I always wait until I go home so my mom will pay 😉

28 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) January 29, 2010 at 12:35 pm

That’s a great deal for a hair cut. I’m due for one soon – I just don’t know what to do with it!

29 Chloe @ Project Live Well January 29, 2010 at 1:05 pm

1 – $12 for a haircut?! AMAZING!!! Did you re-dye your hair dark, as you were concerned that it was patchy? Will look forward to seeing the end result post-haircut.

2 – that breakfast looks to-die-for 🙂

30 skinnyrunner January 29, 2010 at 1:49 pm

$12 isnt so bad. i paid $15 at a salon recently. of course they didnt speak english and washing your hair cost extra. lame.

31 Chelsea January 29, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Yay! I’m glad you liked it! I need to eat some. $12 for a haircut-TOTAL STEAL!

32 Nicole January 29, 2010 at 2:12 pm

The last time I got a haircut it was way too expensive and it ended up AWFUL! When I got home, I took out my cooking school kitchen shears and chopped away and I like it a whole lot more. I think I’ll be cutting my own hair from now on. I got my hair cut really short though (I’ve got like two inches of hair now, haha), so I assume it’s pretty easy to trim myself.

I think I’ll dye mine tonight, maybe!

33 Lauren January 29, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Hair cuts are soooo expensive! In Manhattan, they regularly cost me $80-$100, and I don’t even go to the super pricey places! Not to mention, my hair is the very definition of normal–not very thick or very fine. An effing hair cut should never cost that much!

The price has only gotten better since I started professionally coloring my hair, too. I suppose that’s my own fault 🙂

34 eatinggreenstayinglean January 29, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Oh wow, I tried pumpkin yogurt last night and had it again tonight (and blogged about it both times)! It’s so completely delicious, I’m hooked. 🙂 Props to Caitlin.

Also, that cereal looks delicious! Yay for sleeping in!

35 Jenna January 29, 2010 at 10:58 pm

Glad you got your cereal in this morning!!

36 Macrae January 29, 2010 at 11:32 pm

$12 is a STEAL!
BTW- you must try Kashi Go Lean Berry Crumble- sooo yum!