Shrimp!

by Meghann on January 28, 2010

Any Dexter fans out there?

I’m in the middle of the third season on DVD and am addicted. The DVDs aren’t coming from Netflix fast enough!

I know a few people are going to suggest I watch the episodes on Hulu instead of waiting for the DVDs, but I’m afraid I have a little confession to make. Truth is I can’t stand watching TV or movies on my computer. πŸ™

The screen is very small and I just can’t get comfortable watching it on my couch or bed. Plus I have ADD and am constantly checking my e-mail/blogs/twitter on the computer and playing the shows slows my computer down.

Boy, does that feel good to get off my chest. Am I the only anti-hulu person out there?

This afternoon I enjoyed a cup of Meghann’s Fruity Crunch Cereal while keeping busy at work.

Love this cereal and love chia seeds; however, I’m not a fan of the chia seeds that gel in between my teeth. I swear I was picking them out all afternoon. πŸ™‚

Shrimp was on the menu for dinner. But what to do with said shrimp?

Shrimp scampi? Shrimp stir fry? Buffalo shrimp? BBQ Shrimp?

(Forest Gump anyone?)

I know! Shrimp Quesadilla!

(Just realized Bubba never mentioned shrimp quesadilla. He didn’t know what he was missing)

This was easy to put together. I cooked the shrimp with some onion and taco seasoning on the stove top. Then added the shrimp to some cheese and salsa on a flat out that I grilled on the george foreman.

Served with a dollop of ‘sour cream’ aka plain yogurt and some steamed broccoli and carrots.

It came out crispy and delicious.

Dessert was a Malley Oh! and fresh strawberries.

Love the combination of chocolate and strawberries!

My tummy is full and my sweet tooth is satisfied.

Time for bed.

Good Night!

1 Evan Thomas January 28, 2010 at 10:10 pm

That dessert sounds nice and fresh

2 Becky January 28, 2010 at 10:12 pm

I’m not sure what kind of computer you have, but I have a Mac and got three things that connect it to my TV (one for sound, one that connects to the TV and an adapter thing that connects that to the square USB port on my computer) which allows me to watch TV through the internet. I’m also not sure what netflix subscription you have, but the first season of Dexter was available on the “play on computer” function on netflix last I checked – not sure if any of these things are of use to you, but would certainly be a way around DVDs, which can be nice! I don’t have any TV channels, so I watch everything either through the internet or netflix/DVD, and the computer/tv hookup option is nice for that. Have a good night!

3 Jenna January 28, 2010 at 10:13 pm

I am semi obsessed with Dexter myself too! My boyfriend and I can’t stop watching once we start.

What a great idea for shrimp! I never really would have thought of that combo.

4 Megan January 28, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Mmmmm I bet you could quesadilla anything and it would be amazing! Your dinner looks fabbbb

5 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad January 28, 2010 at 10:19 pm

Dexter is amazing! Season 3 is probably the weakest of the seasons, but they pick it back up in season 4…just wait for the finale!!!

6 blogger January 28, 2010 at 10:29 pm

LOVE Dexter! I’ve actually only seen the most recent season (Season 4?) But I loved it. My mom, brother, and his gf watched the entire season in three days this winter. It was amazing. However, on the last night we ate chinese food (which I never EVER eat) and when we got to the last episode my stomach was not agreeing with me. By the time the last 15 minutes came I had to leave and tell them not to wait for me. I ended up getting way sick (I also never get sick from food… shakes, sweating.. awful). I missed the last 15 minutes which were MIND BLOWING. I watched it the next day by myself and I was kicking myself for not experiencing it with the rest of them. I love Dexter… so many OMG moments. πŸ˜€

7 Emily January 28, 2010 at 10:31 pm

Ha, I’m a totally Hulu fan, we don’t even have cable! I agree with you about the small screen though, we are thinking of buying one of those cables that connect them so the moniter screen can be shown on the tv.

Your quesadilla looks ridiculous good, your pressed/rolled/wrapped/etc stuff always comes out looking so professional!

8 Erin January 28, 2010 at 10:37 pm

I don’t use Hulu because of the commercials but watch almost everything on my computer. In fact, I probably won’t even get cable when I move to the new place because everything is available for free online.

The little tricks you learn living overseas… πŸ˜‰

9 Victoria January 28, 2010 at 10:37 pm

We watch hulu all the time, but we hook our laptop up to the TV and watch them on the actual TV.

10 alittleaboutlia January 28, 2010 at 10:37 pm

Looks delicious! Which brand panini maker is that?? Thanks!

11 alittleaboutlia January 28, 2010 at 10:38 pm

Ahh, I just saw it was a George Foreman, ignore my dumb comment!!

12 janetha January 28, 2010 at 10:41 pm

wait til you see the end of season 4. youll shit your pants. have a great frday, meghann!

13 Karla January 28, 2010 at 11:00 pm

I only watch TV/movies on my computer! I have a TV but it doesn’t have a DVD player or cable. I’ve gotten used to watching movies in bed πŸ™‚
Wow that quesadilla looks good! I want a panini press like that so bad!

14 Grace January 28, 2010 at 11:08 pm

I got hooked on Dexter the same way… by compulsively watching each episode from Season 1 straight to the finale of Season 4 in just a matter of days. Such a good show! I don’t have cable/tv anymore, so I watch that mostly on my computer… but I watch my movies on a big screen, thanks to Netflix. πŸ™‚

15 dorothy January 28, 2010 at 11:08 pm

LOVE dexter! i wouldnt want to spoil anything for you ( ihave a pet peeve of that ha) but the finale of season 4 is amaazing. well worth the wait πŸ™‚

unfortunately i’m always watching tv on my computer cause i never catch shows when they’re on

delicious looking quesdilla yum and that cookie!! reminds me of the girls scouts’ ones

16 Lacey January 28, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Just wondering, what color is your George Foreman?

17 thewhatkateateblog January 28, 2010 at 11:25 pm

i am obsessed with dexter – such a good show. i agree with watching tv on the computer, its fine but its definitely different to watch it on tv!

18 Kate January 28, 2010 at 11:26 pm

I do the same thing when watching movies or tv…I have to have the laptop nearby to entertain me while I “watch” tv…it drives my boyfriend crazy!

19 caronae January 28, 2010 at 11:29 pm

I once had a chrimp quesadilla in Mexico. They’re so awesome, right?

20 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) January 28, 2010 at 11:33 pm

omg! I love Dexter! Andy and I just finished season 3 last night. And I refuse to watch season 4 on hulu so I’m going to have to wait. Bah!

21 Jenna January 28, 2010 at 11:55 pm

Yummy shrimp wrap!

22 Michelle January 29, 2010 at 12:00 am

I am the same way about watching stuff on my laptop…I can’t stand it! I would much rather watch show on my TV, that way my laptop is still available to use!!

23 fromatopink January 29, 2010 at 12:23 am

I’m the same way as you – I like cuddling up on the couch to watch TV which is hard to do with a computer in your lap (AND I also get too distracted by other computer things). But my desire for watching things RIGHT NOW wins out, so Hulu and I have decided to get along. πŸ˜‰

24 mary ann January 29, 2010 at 1:00 am

To answer your question honestly… I had to look up what “hulu” even was when you brought it up. In fact, I actually still drive to the rental store to take out films and dvds. i almost enjoy the oldschool vhs because it forces me to practice patience and reminisce in the crackly sound and display. call me ol fashioned. just sayin.
word to the hating on chia seed mouth!
MA
lilpauladean.wordpress.com

25 katie davis January 29, 2010 at 1:21 am

Yeah Dexter is awesome, we recently finished Season 3 and were super disappointed when we realized how long it would be before it got to Blockbuster! Especially when we heard that the ending was so crazy or what not. But yeah definitely addicting!!

26 Amy January 29, 2010 at 2:22 am

I love Dexter! I’m glad he’s kicking cancer’s butt.

It was funny reading your blog because that is exactly what the husband and I had for dinner. πŸ™‚ Yummy

27 foodfitnessandfreya January 29, 2010 at 5:03 am

Ooh good idea for dinner! I’ve got half a box of prawns in my freezer, I think I might be doing this quite soon πŸ˜› It’s so nice to read about things I wouldn’t think of normally – like I’ve NEVER made a quesadilla, or eaten one, so I’ll look forward to it πŸ˜›

28 Tiffany January 29, 2010 at 8:24 am

I’ve never seen Dexter, but I do love Hulu. I don’t have a DVR, Tivo, or a Netflix subscription, so Hulu usually lets me watch shows I’ve missed the very next morning. I love the shrimp quesadilla! I’m going to have to try that one day instead of my usual chicken filling. Thanks!

29 Rachel January 29, 2010 at 9:00 am

Love that dessert idea!

Season 3, in my opinion, is probably the worst season of Dexter. I’d say 1, 2, & 4 are amazing, but 3 was kind of “eh.” I don’t think they knew where to go after the craziness of season 2, but they got their footing back in 4.

30 Emily January 29, 2010 at 9:07 am

Oooh I’m totally with you on the ADD thing. In fact I ONLY ever watch TV with my laptop in hand while writing/reading blogs or e-mail…

31 jessicaamc January 29, 2010 at 9:26 am

oh my goodness i am the exact same way! I cannot stand watching more than 1 episode on a computer. Sadly in Canada we don’t have Hulu but we do have a mail DVD type thing called Zip. I’ve never used it though… Some of our stations do post episodes online but for the mostpart they will only have the 2 most recent eps available so if you’re trying to catch up on a TV series (like all 7 seasons of 24)… youre kinda outta luck unless you want to buy! πŸ™

32 fitandfortysomething January 29, 2010 at 9:44 am

Some peeps have mentioned it and it is true-you can buy two cords-one for sound and one for visual to hook your tv up to your comuter. My hus and i do not pay for cable anymore and just do this-saves us a lot of money!

33 Meghann January 29, 2010 at 9:49 am

That would work if all the tvs in my house wen’re from before the year 2000 :/ and I would still want my computer to play with while I watch tv. I’m guess I’m just stubborn. πŸ™‚

34 theprocessofhealing January 29, 2010 at 9:58 am

I’m with you!! I hate watching stuff on my laptop. I get distracted SO easily and I so I can’t pay attention because of checking e-mail, etc. like you said. Just doesn’t work :/

35 Katie January 29, 2010 at 10:12 am

Meghann…Dexter will soon become your most thought about TV show..not kidding! Wait until you see season 4! I watched the whole thing in 1 day. Best show ever!

36 MelissaNibbles January 29, 2010 at 10:29 am

Beware of season 4.

37 Doug January 29, 2010 at 10:30 am

Oh my. That shrimp looks to DIE for. I am so going to try that this weekend. Maybe a treat to myself after running the 5 mile charity tomorrow! The first season of dexter so far as outdone them all.

38 eaternotarunner January 29, 2010 at 10:36 am

I love Dexter!! It is seriously addicting πŸ˜‰

39 Jenny January 29, 2010 at 11:10 am

oh my god! my boyfriend converted me to a Dexter ADDICT over winter break and I literally could not stop watching it!! girl the seasons just keep getting better and better — I’m on season 4 now and alll I want to do is watch it all day! p.s. let me know when you find out who the ice truck killer is πŸ™‚ it’s insane!

40 Heather @ (The Single Dish) January 29, 2010 at 11:10 am

Love shrimp!! Your dinner looks great.

41 Laura Georgina January 29, 2010 at 12:28 pm

I am in loooove with David Michael Hall in all incarnations! I actually finished watching Six Feet Under Last night and I’m ready to move on to Dexter (I’ve seen two episodes and can’t wait to get properly hooked).

You’re not the only one that doesn’t do TV on the computer–I can’t handle it (too much distraction, tiny screen, ugh…)

42 Samantha January 29, 2010 at 12:42 pm

I am definitely making this quesadilla for dinner tonight!!

43 Natalie January 29, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Hi Meghann,
I have been reading your blog for about a year now and I just realized this is my first comment!
I too, cannot stand watching things on my computer for similar reasons- I am easily distracted and end up pressing pause all time time!
I am a HUGE Dexter fan too! So glad to hear you love it. I hear season 4 is the best yet (after all, Michael C.Hall and John Lithgow both won golden globes for their performances this season). Let us know what you think of it when you’re all done!
Love your blog too, btw. It is a joy to read each day!

44 kristilyn January 29, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Thank you for that quesadilla idea! I always want to make them, but think that we don’t have any meat in the fridge, THEN open up a can of refried beans. This is a perfect alternative – I can’t wait to make them. πŸ™‚

I’ve only seen the first few eps of Dexter, but I’m very intrigued!

FYI, my husband and I have a laptop that we hook into our TV to watch TV shows. It hooks up really easily and when you watch it on full screen, it’s not so bad!

K

45 Haleigh January 29, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Dexter is my favorite tv show, possibly of all time!! I keep up with it pretty religiously since I have showtime. You could say that I am slightly obsessed πŸ™‚

46 Sammi January 29, 2010 at 10:24 pm

So this post was a few posts ago but I’m just now getting to catch up on my favorite blogs so sorry for the late comment!

I pretty much ONLY watch tv on my computer! It’s just more convenient for me to watch shows after they air rather than trying to watch them while they’re actually on tv. I did try to watch Grey’s Anatomy last night on the tv but it was a rerun πŸ™

Note to self: do not go on Meghann’s blog unless you want to make a trip down to the kitchen. So hungry now!