more ยป" />

Nutty Cookies

by Meghann on January 27, 2010

Wow! You guys are amazing!

Thank you so much for all of the supportive comments flowing in about my new crazy race adventure. Each one makes me smile and had totally brightened up my day! ๐Ÿ™‚

During one of our outings on Sunday, Derek and I just happened to pass one of my favorite health stores that just happened to carry some of my favorite local treats. Including these little gems.

I discovered the Good Run cookies last July and fell in love. These babies are locally produced nut and seed based cookies that I can only find in Tampa.

I had two as a snack this morning.

IMG_7663

These โ€˜cookiesโ€™ arenโ€™t sweet, but there is something about their nutty quality that just makes me feel good when I eat them. Yum!

I was really excited to dive into my Creamy Goat Cheese & Shrimp Barley Risotto left overs for lunch, but knew the tiny portion wouldnโ€™t be enough.

IMG_7676

So I paired my serving with a beautiful salad made of massaged kale, sprouts, cherry tomatoes, apple, and cashews.

IMG_7669

The whole meal was filled with a great variety of tastes and textures.

IMG_7667

Chewy, Crunchy, Salty, Sweetโ€ฆ. yum!

Iโ€™m thinking about dying my hair after work (from a bottle, Iโ€™m too poor to go to a professional โ€“even a student professional) and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for certain brands to use or colors? I havenโ€™t dyed my hair from a box since early college. Iโ€™m a little nervous, but am in desperate need of some change. Help!

1 Sana January 27, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Yeah I am sticking with my black hair, but I hear it is easier to go darker- but if you want to go lighter, have fun!
Be fearless ๐Ÿ™‚

2 Emily January 27, 2010 at 3:15 pm

When I dye my hair in between professional dyes I don’t have a specific brand – I normally buy the one that’s around $7 or $8 – it depends on the colors available. I will say tho – stay away from the cheaper kind as they tend to be just that – cheap (as in I used one brand – horrible with remembering names – and it made clumps of my hair fall out – luckily I have uber thick hair!).

3 foodfitnessandfreya January 27, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Oh you are brave doing your hair from a box! I’d love to be able to do that, but when we were 14, two of my best friends dyed their hair at home and it went so wrong! It scared me for life lol!! BUT I’ve seen so many people since who’ve done it from home and look amazing…
Those cookies look great! What are the actual ingredients? I’d love to make some ๐Ÿ™‚

4 accordingtoberni January 27, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Funny you are asking about hair dye because I recently decided my hair girl charges WAY TOO MUCH to put dye on my dark brown hair…and that I could easily do it myself! I’ve been eyeballing Megan’s (Meganerd) beautiful brown hair and meaning to ask her what color she used.

5 brandi January 27, 2010 at 3:26 pm

i think your next race sounds crazy, but I bet it will be awesome ๐Ÿ™‚

I haven’t dyed my hair in years, so I won’t be much help, but I can’t wait to see it! It took my dye SO long to grow out of my hair the last time…I just quit doing it. Brown is what it is ๐Ÿ™‚

6 Alicia January 27, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Redken Certified Colorist here… you could call local salons and ask if they need models for training. If that is not a possibility, choose a semi or demi permanent color. Do not attempt to go lighter with permanent color. Those attempts usually result in long, expensive salon corrective colors. Good luck and email me if you have further questions.

7 katey January 27, 2010 at 3:28 pm

if I were you I would use a semi permanent. Clairol natural instincts work best! It doesn’t have ammonia in it so it doesn’t hurt your hair. If you don’t like the color it will wash out in a month or two! I’ve used it many times and it works out wonderfully

8 Heather (Heather's Dish) January 27, 2010 at 3:29 pm

what an awesome lunch! it looks super fresh and colorful ๐Ÿ™‚

i used to use Garnier to dye my hair – if it’s just one color, that’s what worked best for me!

9 eaternotarunner January 27, 2010 at 3:31 pm

I think you can’t go wrong with a dark semi-permanent!

10 Jill January 27, 2010 at 3:33 pm

L’Oreal Excellence Creme. It’s what I used to use for many many years and I never had one single problem with it. The color was great and it lasted a good long time. Plus, the dye is a cream so, no drips!

On the topic of your next challenge, I have to tell you that you are an utter inspiration to those of us runners who are still struggling with short-distance races. Go for it, girl! I’ll be cheering you on from blogland.

11 Phoebe January 27, 2010 at 3:34 pm

I dye my hair myself about every month or so (I know you’re not supposed to do it that often) and I always use L’Oreal “Superior Preference” (It’s like $9.99). My typical color is “Light Brown” which is very basic and pretty and, after a couple weeks, actually fades into kind of a nice honey blonde. I think my hair is fairly close to your color; you might be a little blonder. I’ve also done “Light ash brown” (which is also actually pretty blonde) and my hair is now “medium golden brown” (the official shade of Eva Longoria, LOL) which I’m really enjoying.
One thing to keep in mind is that your hair will be a little darker immediately after dying, so don’t freak out if it’s darker than you wanted; after you’ve washed it once or twice it’ll get to the “normal” shade.
But I LOVE the L’Oreal hair dyes because, unlike other times I’ve dyed my hair, it DOESN’T stain your neck or ears, it doesn’t leave residue on your pillow or towels and it doesn’t burn or anything and always comes out great.
The other tip I have is definitely use the conditioner it comes with–it makes your hair SO soft. I used to forget about it but now I use it regularly.
Have fun!

12 Erin January 27, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Yum! I love having a lot of different tastes during a meal. This looks fantastic. ๐Ÿ™‚

13 Mara @ What's For Dinner? January 27, 2010 at 3:37 pm

I second the L’Oreal Excellence, or, if you’re doing something that you want to be more temporary, I’d go Natural Instincts. I’m doing a major dye job next week…kinda nervous!

14 Caroline January 27, 2010 at 3:38 pm

I’ve been told that Clairol is the best from a couple of different people but have been using Garnier Nutrisse because it was on sale the first time I shopped for hair dye and I loved the color I got. No advice about going lighter though, I’ve only done darker.

15 Sarah R January 27, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I’m not brand loyal, but I now that I have much better luck with colors that are more ashy toned. I look for a color that has Ash in the name, usually a dark ash blond. Any other color turns my hair orange-ish/red-ish.

16 greensandjeans January 27, 2010 at 3:42 pm

I use the clairol naturals one, because it’s semi permanent and makes my hair feel great!

17 Julia January 27, 2010 at 3:44 pm

clairol natural instincts! i use it several times a year and have not had a single problem. it isn’t too harsh on your hair, has a fantastic conditioner to be used after the dying process, and makes your hair shiny. all around gold stars.

18 Deirdre January 27, 2010 at 3:48 pm

I’ve only dyed my hair at home a couple times but I used Garnier and L’Oreal Superior Preference and they both worked fine. I would say that I liked the ones that had the added deep conditioner bottle, but I don’t know if they all have them. Also, I don’t know if you’ve done it a lot before, but I always look at YouTube for stuff like this. They have women giving great makeup tips so I assume they would give good coloring tips as well! I’m sure it will look fabulous!

19 ana January 27, 2010 at 3:50 pm

don’t use the cheapest stuff! you might end up with orange hair or something. i like loreal superior preference (its in the pink box and has some pretreat stuff you put on your ends). i’ve dyed my hair for years, at home and professionally, and this stuff works the best. doesn’t fade and my hairdresser actually asked me if i had gone and gotten it done by someone else.

20 Jenna January 27, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Ahhhh Meghann! What color?!

21 erika January 27, 2010 at 4:06 pm

I use henna. I really like it, my hair has never been in better condition. But it doesn’t give you a BIG CHANGE like regular hair dye. More of a glossyness and slight color change.

22 Amy January 27, 2010 at 4:08 pm

ooohhhh… be careful! My friend attempted to touch roots up over the weekend and ended up with platinum. Her boss actually gave her part of the morning off yesterday to get it fixed… it was THAT BAD.

I dyed my hair darker with my roommate last year- we hit an Ulta and got an opinion from a girl who worked there, which worked out well- and google Ulta for a 20% off coupon online before you go! ๐Ÿ™‚

23 lindsayruns January 27, 2010 at 4:10 pm

I don’t dye my hair anymore (hmmm you got me thinking…maybe while hubby’s deployed? I think it might freak him out if he saw it in person) but darker is better than lighter, and the less permanent the better, and the drug store is cheaper than any salon, so get the nicest one. ๐Ÿ™‚ can’t wait to see it!!!

24 Graze With Me January 27, 2010 at 4:11 pm

I highly recommend L’Oreal Superior Preference hair dye. I’ve used it for years and it always comes out great. My hair is naturally a mousy-brown color and I prefer a darker richer brown. It does fade after about 6 months or so (yes, even the permanent kind) but it still looks bright and shiny.

25 Paige@ Running Around Normal January 27, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Those nutty cookies are very intriguing! Makes me want to try and make my own, haha.
Good luck with the dye job ๐Ÿ˜‰

26 ali January 27, 2010 at 4:12 pm

I just dyed my hair a few weeks ago and I used the L’Oreal Superior Preference and I loved the way it came out! It is super easy to use and the kit comes with everything you need. Good luck its always exciting to dye your hair ๐Ÿ™‚

27 thewhatkateateblog January 27, 2010 at 4:14 pm

im a little late..but congrats on deciding to do the tri-race. youll rock it!

28 Alexis January 27, 2010 at 4:15 pm

I recently dyed my hair for the FIRST time and used Clairol Nice n’ Easy Perfect 10 – http://www.clairol.com/niceneasy/perfect_10/index.jsp

It turned out great! I was just going from my natural blonde, that had started to darken slight to a too-dirty blonde for my tastes, to a slightly lighter more golden blonde. It was easy and turned out great!

29 Sarah (Finding My Balance) January 27, 2010 at 4:19 pm

mmm, those cookies do look like happy snacks!

when i used to dye my hair, l’oreal feria was my brand of choice. it seemed to give more vibrant color, and some packages have a little built-in highlighting kit (it’s not hard to diy!). i thought the results were good, natural looking, and pretty easy to get through. good luck! can’t wait to see a pic!

30 Matt January 27, 2010 at 4:20 pm

I have never dyed my hair so I don’t have any advice on that. You probably wouldn’t want my advice anyways ๐Ÿ˜‰

31 Ally January 27, 2010 at 4:23 pm

I swear by the Clairol Nice N’ Easy haircolor. I’ve taken to coloring my own hair over the last year because I too cannot afford it. I have darker hair, but, my sister in law is blonde and uses Nice N’ Easy as well (ya know, the blonde shades) and has had good results.

32 Betsy January 27, 2010 at 4:34 pm

I was thinking of doing the same with my hair. Money is tight and color is SO expensive. Let us know how it turns out!

33 Liz January 27, 2010 at 4:36 pm

I think a few other commenters mentioned this- but do not go lighter. I’ve only dyed three times- and one of those was in the salon to correct my so called blonde hair. My hair isn’t dark but somewhere between blonde and brown. I tried to go blonde from a box and it came out to this weird not quite blonde but leaning more towards orangy color. I ended up going to the salon to dye it back to my original color.

Have fun and don’t forget to show us your results!

34 Anna January 27, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Oooh! Definitely post pics if you decide to go for it!

35 anne January 27, 2010 at 4:44 pm

I color my hair at home at least 2x/year. I LOVE the Perfect Ten hair color. Can’t remember the brand, but I buy it at Wal-mart. It’s only $10 and it stays on your hair for ten quick minutes. Good luck!

36 caitlin January 27, 2010 at 4:53 pm

loreal preference! you can’t go wrong.

37 tryingtoheal January 27, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Can’t swear by any different kinds of hair color cause i’ll i’ve ever used are the funky colored ones…like purple and blue and green. ๐Ÿ˜€

and i can’t wait for gasparilla!!! i’m almost as crazy as you…;)

38 Katherine January 27, 2010 at 5:38 pm

My mom uses a brand she buys at Whole Foods and it is a more natural product and she loves it!

39 Lisa (bakebikeblog) January 27, 2010 at 5:54 pm

What a great looking lunch ๐Ÿ™‚ And great work on the races!

40 maren January 27, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Schwarzkopf (spelling?) is a German brand of boxed dye, and it’s GREAT! a lot better than the average boxes. Used by top hair stylists. May be a bit harder to find though…? Good luck!

41 KatieTX January 27, 2010 at 6:07 pm

I am delurker to tell you if you want a demi-permanent that will show no roots and just kinda fade out, use Natural Instincts. Just look for one by Clairol that says demi-permanent. It works in 10 minutes and has no roots. It is good for just a refresher without changing hair drastically. My hair gets ashy so I use the lightest golden brown to make it richer and it makes your hair so soft. It is pretty fool proof, but shows a noticeable difference. It costs like 7-8 bucks. If you don’t want roots, try this one out! I find it lasts for 2 months.

42 peachesnkate January 27, 2010 at 6:14 pm

My sister and I just dyed our hair last month for the first time! We were so scared but everything turned out fine (after we re-did her’s a second time). A tip: Save the box top or write down the color you use so incase you want to keep it that color you know exactly what you used previously. Don’t be nervous…it’s just hair! Have fun!

43 Jasmine @ Eat Move Write January 27, 2010 at 6:17 pm

I haven’t dyed my hair since I was a freshman in high school. That’s been a really long time. I’m sure they have tons of good products out there. I’ll be eager to see the results.

Those “cookies” look really cool.

44 carrie January 27, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Hey Meghann. Last week I signed up for my 1st 1/2 marathon. It’s June 5th. I’m wanting to get a plan of action in place before official training starts. I’m wanting to figure out what types of strength exercises I should do. Also if you have a good training plan. I have looked at several online. Do have your 1st training plan still and do you have good advice? Is there a different way to email questions to you or should I just post things like I am doing now?

Thanks!!
Carrie

45 Karla January 27, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Your hair color is great! I wouldn’t suggest going lighter on your own… I think professionals need to handle any type of bleach. But that’s just my opinion.

I’m in desperate need of a hair cut!!

46 theprocessofhealing January 27, 2010 at 8:06 pm

The only advice I have is that i’ve heard it’s much easier to go darker on your own than lighter.. much less chance of mess ups. Good luck!

47 Travel Eat Love January 27, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Regarding hair dye, I would just say have someone help you or you may end up looking spotty. (I say from leopard like experience) Congrats on your exciting races! I am struggling training for my 4th marathon (Boston) right now due to the cold up here, and reading your post pumped me up a little!

48 jocelyneatsfresh January 27, 2010 at 8:35 pm

don’t do it from a box ! My best friend is a hair dresser and honestly..this is her number one advice. She does mine for free…so it really isn’t just about her getting her money ๐Ÿ˜›

Find a friend or family member or someone who is a “professional” that maybe will give you a bit of a deal???

49 Jenna January 27, 2010 at 9:13 pm

I just am catching up on your day. I am so exciting for you hearing about your race plans. You are going to dominate!

50 jenngirl January 27, 2010 at 9:49 pm

I know lots of people who’ve used the box hair dye–so I don’t think you should have any trouble, I bet it’s easier than it seems ๐Ÿ™‚ I don’t have any brand recommendations, but I think darker colors and hues turn out the best usually.

51 Rachel January 27, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Those cookies look great. I’ve used box hair dye to dye my hair red, but sometimes it hasn’t worked out. I’ve ended up with black hair that eventually faded to a lighter brown & blondish hair. :/ Going to a professional simply doesn’t fit into my budget, either, but I haven’t dyed my hair since June!