Crazy Race Announcement

by Meghann on January 27, 2010

I guess you can say I’m still on a high from my marathon earlier this month because last night I officially registered for something a little crazy…

challenge

Eeeekkkk!!!!

That’s right during the weekend of February 27th & 28th I have signed up to run the 5k, 15k, and FULL marathon for Gasparilla weekend; otherwise known as the Michelob Light Challenge!

Last year I ran the Bud Light Challenge which consists of the 5k, 15k, and half marathon (recap Part 1 & Part 2). I originally planned on completing that challenge again, but when a friend told me her goal for the full marathon I instantly volunteered to pace her and decided to run the full on Sunday rather than the half.

This is the last year Gasparilla will offer the full marathon, so this is the last chance I have to participate in this particular challenge. I think it will be fun to look back and say that I ran the last full marathon Gasparilla had to offer.

I know you’re thinking I’m nuts. I know you’re thinking I just finished a full marathon weeks ago. And I know you’re wondering how the hell I’m going to do this. So, let me break it down here.

I’ve been doing a lot of research on back to back marathons and as far as I can tell as long as you give your body a chance to recover – but not lose all your training – then it is perfectly acceptable to run a marathon 6 weeks apart from each other.

I don’t plan to PR or run full out on any of the Gasparilla races and instead plan to have fun. Really the only goal I have is to help my friend pace to achieve her goal of under 4:30.

My friend just completed Disney as well and is still listening to her body to see if it is giving her the go ahead on another marathon. Until she officially signs up I am going to keep her identity a secret. Shhh… ;)

To help prepare for the races I have been working with the amazing Megan from Bites of the Apple on compiling a plan that will help me reach my goals.

Megan qualified for Boston earlier this month and really had some great advice. I am hoping she will also help me in the fall when I plan to start training to qualify myself *fingers crossed*

Megan introduced me to McMillan’s Pace calculator and I have to say that I’m obsessed!

McMillan

You enter your goal for any distance and the calculator spits out what pace you should be training at.

McMillan1

For instance my recovery runs should be done at a 11:49 pace and my tempo intervals should be completed at 9:15 if I am training to run a 4:30 marathon. Love, Love, Love having those numbers laid out in front of me!

Since I plan to pace my friend at 4:30, I will be training for the marathon as if I was running 4:15 just to make sure I have enough energy in me to encourage her along the way.

With those paces in mind Megan designed a great plan for me.

(Click to enlarge)

JanGasparilla

FebGasparilla copy

I officially started the plan today

1.27

According to my pace calculator my ‘steady pace’  should be between 9:14 and 9:30.

This morning I did a warm up mile, 5 miles averaging a 9:15 pace and a cool down mile for a total of 7. It felt great! In fact I had to work hard not to let my pace get to fast. A lot of times my legs were dying to run 8:30!

I am really excited about this new plan! Having a plan keeps me focused and confident come race time. With this plan I know I will kick booty at the challenge.

Thanks Megan for all the help! You are a running lifesaver!!

During my run I was really craving toast with almond butter!

IMG_7646

After my shower I had two pieces of toast slathered with almond butter, pumpkin butter, flax seed, and pom.

IMG_7659

On the side I had a lovely bowl of oranges, kiwi, and more pom.

IMG_7650

A delicious breakfast!

I’ve been grinning ear to ear all morning thinking about my upcoming challenge. These races are going to rock! :)

1 chandra January 27, 2010 at 10:05 am

Yes, I think you’re crazy, but also amazing. :-) It sounds like a blast! You make me miss running higher mileage, I can’t wait to keep building back up!

2 Krista N. January 27, 2010 at 10:07 am

Good Morning! I rarely comment, however this is so GREAT. I am really looking forward to hearing all about these races. My husband and I did the Bud light Challenge last year, what a rush!!! Can you imagine the rush you will get this year!!!!!

3 katajess January 27, 2010 at 10:10 am

Wow this is so exciting! Woohoo! You are going to rock those races. :)

4 Amy January 27, 2010 at 10:12 am

How exciting, Meghann! That will be so fun– I know you will rock the challenge :)

5 Doug January 27, 2010 at 10:12 am

Wowzers! Hardcore. I did a 5k on Saturday down in St. Augustine… but now I dont even hold a candle to what you are doing!

6 MEG C. January 27, 2010 at 10:13 am

is the friend megan from meganerdruns? i knew she was thinking of doing another marathon…

7 madisonruns January 27, 2010 at 10:16 am

Wow! That looks like fun! Does this mean you could be doing the “Goofy Challenge” next year?

8 BethT January 27, 2010 at 10:17 am

You are definitely crazy…but in a good way :)

9 Anna January 27, 2010 at 10:19 am

WHOA NELLY!!! That is a serious challenge, but if anyone is up for it, it’s you! Good luck, girl!

10 megan January 27, 2010 at 10:19 am

you really are crazy! I would never in my life want to do something like that. but i will enjoy reading about your experiences. :)

11 Karla January 27, 2010 at 10:19 am

That’s crazy but amazing!!
Can’t wait to see how you do! I’m sure you’ll be great! Make sure to be safe though!

12 Madeline - Greens and Jeans January 27, 2010 at 10:25 am

You are such a stud Meghann! I have no doubt that you and your “mystery woman” are going to rock this thing!

13 Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle January 27, 2010 at 10:28 am

Wow! You are brave and motivated and maybe a little crazy (the good kind!) :D . I LOVE the calculator, I’m starting to train for my first marathon and this could be really helpful. Thank you!

14 Ida January 27, 2010 at 10:28 am

Sounds like a great challenge! you seem well prepared for it. take an ice bath after the saturday runs and you’ll be ready to fly on sunday!

15 Sarah January 27, 2010 at 10:30 am

Is the friend your sister? I hope she realizes how risky it is to try a 20-minute+ PR just 6 weeks after one’s first marathon . . .

16 megzzwinsatlife January 27, 2010 at 10:34 am

GIRL you are such an inspiration!! I think you can defiantly do it!!! I look forward to reading your recaps!

17 jessicaamc January 27, 2010 at 10:36 am

Congrats!! I know you will do great!
I love how beer companies sponsor these things.. so does this mean you get free beer when you finish? I sure hope so!..even if Michelob isn’t my #1 choice when I’m in the States! ;)

18 Erin January 27, 2010 at 10:39 am

Wow! That is crazy but also amazing. I can’t wait to follow you on this journey.

Also, you’ve just reminded me that we’re out of poms and to add more to the shopping list. Thanks. :D

19 Erin (Texan Couture) January 27, 2010 at 10:39 am

Oh Dang! This does seem a little crazy but if anyone can pull it off, I know you can!

20 M January 27, 2010 at 10:40 am

Definitely not worried about your ability to
handle the upcoming craziness! But I do hope your friend won’t be disappointed if she can’t make her time goal. Just finishing a marathon so soon after Disney is huge; I was warned not to try to PR for at least 6 months — that’s not just time to recover, but time to train for a faster time. Good luck to her!!

21 Darci January 27, 2010 at 10:41 am

Very exciting!!! and I love that calculator…def going to try it out for myself!! thanks for sharing :)

22 Erin January 27, 2010 at 10:44 am

That sounds a bit nuts..But I am just jealous since I can’t run but like a block. Good Luck and hopefully one day I will be running a 5K.

23 Amy January 27, 2010 at 10:46 am

I don’t think you’re crazy – I think it’s great! But then again, I’m training for two Ironman triathlons (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, then a marathon on ONE day), so people tend to think I’m crazy too :).

24 eaternotarunner January 27, 2010 at 10:47 am

Wow that is going to be one crazy weekend!

25 goodtastehealthyme January 27, 2010 at 10:48 am

Good for you! Love the calculator btw. I’m definitely going to have fun fiddling with that for awhile! ;)

26 Emily January 27, 2010 at 10:50 am

That sounds like fun! You are sooo my running inspiration!

27 Niki @ Niki's Neverending Adventure January 27, 2010 at 10:51 am

Awesome girl!! You are going to rock it! And I totally don’t think you’re crazy! Running is such an addiction!! :)

28 abbynormally January 27, 2010 at 10:55 am

Ahhh I didn’t know about the pace calculator!! THanks so much!!!! You’ll do great in the marathon!

29 Morgan @ Life After Bagels January 27, 2010 at 10:57 am

that is CRAZY . . . congrats for jumping in and doing it too!

30 caronae January 27, 2010 at 10:59 am

Wow! That sounds super exciting. Good luck! I bet you’ll feel super awesome after you finish!

31 Nicole January 27, 2010 at 10:59 am

That sure is a bit crazy, but so awesome! Good luck, Meghann! I have full confidence that you’ll rock it :D

32 kathleen January 27, 2010 at 11:04 am

how exciting!!

my guess is that the “friend” is kelly?!

33 Kate January 27, 2010 at 11:07 am

Yay, Meghann! I hope training goes well and that you enjoy this challenge! It sounds so cool and I am so excited for you and your friend!

34 Jenna January 27, 2010 at 11:07 am

Wow Meghann! You are crazy but I know you will do just great!
Sounds like you have a solid plan to follow and I can’t wait to hear who your secret friend is ;)
Jenna

35 Tracey @ tropicalhappiness January 27, 2010 at 11:09 am

SO EXCITING!!! Your plan looks pretty great, and I’m sure you’ll be an amazing coach/cheerleader to your friend who you’re pacing in the marathon! You’ll do great!!!! I can’t wait to follow along on your adventure!

36 Jesse January 27, 2010 at 11:12 am

Ohhh girl you outta your mind. You’re gonna do great! Have fun!

37 Laura Georgina January 27, 2010 at 11:15 am

You are totally crazy, but good crazy! Seriously, though, I think it’s a doable challenge for you and you’re looking at it the right way by seeing it as an op to have fun.

I smell a future marathon maniac!

38 fromatopink January 27, 2010 at 11:15 am

You’re a machine! That is truly awesome, and incredible. Good luck with your training!

39 foodfitnessandfreya January 27, 2010 at 11:16 am

wow, GO YOU!! I wish you all the best! You have such a great determined attitude, I really admire you :)
Delish breakfast too :D

40 kristen January 27, 2010 at 11:18 am

I wondered if any of you Florida girls would attempt the full marathon Gasparilla challenge- I’m excited to read about it! It sounds like you have the perfect attitude to get through all of the races- mostly fun with a little bit of business (the pacing is clearly the business).

Good luck with the training and the races!

Too many Megans to keep track of though :)

41 Whit January 27, 2010 at 11:18 am

ok, I don’t think you’re crazy. I think it’s awesome you are doing that. it’s such a cool experience. you will look back on it forever.

42 veronica January 27, 2010 at 11:25 am

That is so awesome. You rock!!!

43 jenngirl January 27, 2010 at 11:25 am

Wow good luck Meghann!! We’ll be cheering you on during training and the race :)

44 lisa January 27, 2010 at 11:26 am

Very cool – it gets into your blood, this running stuff! Good luck – I’m sure you’ll do great!

45 Allison January 27, 2010 at 11:27 am

AWESOME! What a great challenge! I think it’s funny though that it’s called the Michelob “light” challenge… there certainly isn’t anything LIGHT about it! It should be called the Michelob ultra badass challenge : )

46 Heather (Heather's Dish) January 27, 2010 at 11:42 am

haha, i was thinking you’re crazy, but it sounds like you’re really thinking it through and listening to your body. good luck with the training, and i can’t wait to see you do amazingly at the race :)

47 Anne P January 27, 2010 at 11:49 am

OMG you are insane, but I love it. What program did she use to make your pretty training monthly plan thing?? I need to make up a plan for myself for the 10 miler and want a good calendar template!

48 Megan January 27, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Heyyy–I actually had a hard time finding a calendar template that was as cute as I wanted, but I made it up in Powerpoint, just using a chart. They do have calendar templates, but I had a very specific image in mind, so I just made it myself!

49 Anne P January 27, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Hmmm okay bust. Yeah last time I just made my own too since I’m also picky :) I’ll try PowerPoint!

50 Jenn @reason2run January 27, 2010 at 11:50 am

Great job Meghann! Keep up the good work. It sounds like an awesome challenge and I wish you the best of luck. My first marathon is in 2 weeks…I’m totally addicted to the training, too. Call it crazy but I like to call it FUN. You’ll rock it! Can’t wait to hear about how it felt…I’m thinking of doing Goofy next year. All the best! :)

51 Sammi January 27, 2010 at 11:50 am

Congrats on taking on such an amazing weekend! That sounds like it’s going to be a ton of fun! Definitely a challenge for a total kickass runner like yourself!
I’m going to go with Kathleen and guess that it’s kelly :) I can’t wait to hear if that guess is right or not!

That calculator thing looks awesome! I already have it opened up in another tab and I’m going to check it out as soon as I press “submit comment” :)

52 Stephanie January 27, 2010 at 11:51 am

I do not think you are crazy at all for signing up for it but I just personally would not want the ‘pressure’ of being my friend’s pacer when not only had I just done a marathon but I would be running two races the day before. Especially when 4:30 is not some super slow time goal. You might want to go in with the caveat that if at any point she is feeling faster than you are that she should just go.

53 Jaimie January 27, 2010 at 12:05 pm

That’s an awesome challenge!

If your “friend” decides not to run the marathon with you, will you still shoot for 4:30??

54 thefitbridesmaid January 27, 2010 at 12:05 pm

At first when it said “Michelob Light” challenge, I was thinking that you were drinking and running. That could be fun . . or make you throw up!

You are crazy (and way excited) about running! Wish I had your enthusiasm! You’d be a great person to be a “supporter” during a marathon!

55 Matt January 27, 2010 at 12:06 pm

I love using that calculator!

56 Jasmine @ Eat Move Write January 27, 2010 at 12:06 pm

How cool! What a challenge. You will do fantastic!

57 Evan Thomas January 27, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I do think you’re nuts, BUT it’s the good kind of nuts that gets you places so way to go!

58 Dawn January 27, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I think this is awesome! (But my friends will tell you that I am a little crazy.) You’ll definitely be able to handle the miles, no problem. Good luck!

59 Sara B January 27, 2010 at 12:11 pm

I’m so excited for you & I know you can do it!

I’m also really jealous. I ran the Disney marathon (my 1st one) and have been dealing with injuries and pain since November. I love running sooo much but my body doesn’t seem to be able to handle it. I wish I knew what to do to stay injury/pain free but nohing seems to be working.

60 healthy ashley January 27, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Haha, crazy!!!

61 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) January 27, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Wow, that does sound crazy! But if anyone I know could do it, it would be you. Good luck :)

62 Stephanie January 27, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Congrats on your race! That’s exciting! And great post!

I love that website that tracks your pace! I’m defiitely checking it out! :)

63 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) January 27, 2010 at 12:26 pm

That’s awesome Meghann! Can’t wait to see how it goes!

And thanks for the pace calculator!

64 adrienmelaine January 27, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Well played! I love it when I do stuff like that, it’s rare, and it always seems like a good idea.. and you tell everyone, so you have to do it, and then you realize on day that uhhh why?! hahah

you’ll be great!

65 Retta @ RunRettaRun January 27, 2010 at 12:32 pm

I’m so excited to read about your training! Awesome goals!!

66 Allison January 27, 2010 at 12:45 pm

When I read “Michelob Light Challenge,” I thought your crazy race was going to involve drinking beer and running, and I got really excited. My friends and I used to run beer miles on the track (1 beer per lap). It was always insane. I guess your race announcement is cool, but not quite as cool as if you were chugging beer while running all three races.

In case you are interested, you should check out http://www.beermile.com. A beer mile is an integral part of any athlete’s training, and would really help prepare you for your race weekend. Good luck.

67 Ali January 27, 2010 at 12:56 pm

YOU ARE HARDCORE! WOW! I can’t wait to hear about your training and see race recaps! AWESOME!

68 Amber from Girl with the Red Hair January 27, 2010 at 1:09 pm

That’s so cool! You’re going to do awesome. I love reading about your training, it’s super inspiring to me. And I *think* I might know who your friend is, if she’s a blogger anyways!

69 caitlin January 27, 2010 at 1:09 pm

can we just have a drinkin contest instead?

70 DiningAndDishing January 27, 2010 at 1:15 pm

wowwww, best of luck to you!! that is INTENSE!!

- Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

71 Tay January 27, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Crazy crazy lady ;-) haha nawwww GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!! Excited to follow your training :-)

72 Jamie January 27, 2010 at 1:22 pm

you are unbelievable! i cant wait to watch you train for this race; i’m so bummed I have bad knees/hips because i can see that these races are addictingg

73 theprocessofhealing January 27, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Oh wow, so much news in one post! First of all, GOOD LUCK!! I don’t think you are crazy because I know you can do it. It’s a once in a lifetime chance (since this is the last year for the marathon) and I know you will rock it :) You know what your body can handle.
And that is so exciting that you want to qualify for the Boston! I have a friend who ran that marathon and said it was an AMAZING experience.

And that calculator is TOO cool!!! I will definitely be making use of that in the future!

74 Andee (LAEasyMeals) January 27, 2010 at 1:53 pm

How awesome! You are going to rock it! I did kind of the similar thing for the Goofy a couple weeks ago. I signed up for the Family 5K, Half & Full all in one weekend. I had no idea how I was going to do, just wanted to have fun and finish all three. I ended up qualifying for Boston in the full marathon and setting a new PR. Who would have thought?! You would be amazed at what our bodies can do when we aren’t given “ideal” situations to perform our best. Our bodies truly can work wonders when we are tired and we just let our bodies do the work instead of over-thinking it. Good luck!

75 Sweet and Fit January 27, 2010 at 1:56 pm

wow! you are a superstar! I think you know what you can handle – I believe you will rock this! I’m so excited to watch you conquer =)

76 Kerry @ Running on Faith January 27, 2010 at 1:57 pm

That is SO cool!! GOOD LUCK :)

77 RunToTheFinish January 27, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Seriously darn david’s parents for being in town that weekend, I so want to do Gaspirilla!

78 Elina January 27, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Wowza, Meghann. You are amazing!! You’re making me want to do something crazy too… I’ll listen to my family and do the sane thing (signed up for the May half marathon so I have PLENTY of time to train so I can KILL it!!). ;)

79 Jessica @ Jessica Balances January 27, 2010 at 2:26 pm

WOW! This does sound insane but you are obviously a running warrior so I know you can handle it!

80 Lisa January 27, 2010 at 2:40 pm

That sounds awesome! It’s amazing what our bodies can endured when trained and fueled properly, which you do! I don’t have experience running so much in one weekend, but I have run 2 marathons 3 weeks apart. I ran faster and was less sore after 2nd marathon. I enjoyed doing that because I just had to train “once” for 2 marathons.

81 Kelsey January 27, 2010 at 2:46 pm

you’re not crazy, you’re awesome!!! i can’t wait to keep up with your training for these races. you are a great inspiration!

82 Anna (AnotherAnnaBanana) January 27, 2010 at 2:48 pm

HOLY MOLY! This commitment blows me away! Go ahead and book yourself a full body massage, pedicure and time to get a new pair of running shoes after this is done. I can’t wait to follow your progress and hear your recaps. Reading your blog fuels my motivation to run more!

83 Jamie (Food in Real Life) January 27, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Congrats! That is awesome, what a challenge :) Your breakfast is a piece of artwork. So beautiful and delicious looking of course.

84 alittleaboutlia January 27, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Your breakfast looks delicious!!

85 Angela January 27, 2010 at 3:14 pm

I don’t think that’s crazy at all. One of my favorite bloggers ran one marathon on a Saturday and then another one the next day. Some people are gifted to do so and I think you are one of them.

86 Sarah R January 27, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Wow! You are a running machine! Good luck with the training and the races!

87 MaryB January 27, 2010 at 3:38 pm

How strange that Gasparilla is this weekend, but the marathon isn’t for another month!
Yes you’re crazy but you’re my kind of crazy!

88 MelissaNibbles January 27, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Wow, that’s a crazy race! I wish you the best of luck. I’d be worried about injury running that many back to back races so soon after a marathon. You might want to think about getting that neck thing looked at just in case. I’m sure you know your body, but you can never be too careful. Good luck :)

89 runninghealthy January 27, 2010 at 4:12 pm

That’s awesome! You are going to rock all three of the races!

90 kelly January 27, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Well the last time I dyed my hair it was “egyptian plum”…definitely turned my hair purple, unnaturally purple. Stay away from plum colors.

Your race sounds amazing. And thanks for posting the McMillan Calculator, very cool.

91 Amanda P January 27, 2010 at 8:27 pm

You are such an inspiration – definitely NOT crazy! I’m sure you can do it, with just as much poise as your Disney marathon (how quickly you bounced back). Good lucK!

92 Running on Faith January 27, 2010 at 9:07 pm

I am assuming that you plugged in your goal time (for whatever race) on the calculator. It is a REALLY cool tool. My running coach gave me something similar, but this one was broken down a little better! Thanks a lot for posting!!

93 Heather January 27, 2010 at 9:10 pm

SO EXCITING!!!! I can’t wait to follow your training! You will kick butt, I just know it :)

94 Allison January 27, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Wow, you’re a little nuts, but also completely awesome. I *might* talk myself into doing a half-marathon version of that challenge someday…but damn.

And a million thank yous for that pace chart! I’m training for a 10K and really want to focus on speed for the first time since high school, so that thing is a lifesaver!

95 Rachel January 27, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Oh wow! Good luck on the challenge :D I can’t wait to read the recaps.

96 Anne @ the doctor takes a wife January 27, 2010 at 10:35 pm

This website is awesome. Thanks so much for the tip!!

97 Brittany January 28, 2010 at 12:18 pm

I think you are crazy, but I’m also excited for you!!!

Can’t wait to hear how it goes lady.