A Patchy Dye Job

by Meghann on January 27, 2010

It all started with a little box

Per your suggestions I stopped at Walgreens on the way home and picked up a package of ammonia free, semi-permanent hair dye. I spent 45 minutes staring at all the color options and finally decided on one that was slightly darker than my current color and looked fun and sexy on the box.

Say good bye faded highlights!

(please excuse the ‘i’ve been a ponytail all day’ hair lol)

With very little hair dying experience I dove right into lathering it on.

Umm… yeah I had no idea what I was doing.

10 Minutes + 1 Shower + 15 Minutes of Blow Drying and Straightening later… I was in love with the color.

However, I wasn’t so in love with the patches on the side of my head.

I’m also not in love with how my hair cut is growing out. I may need to give in and get that cut asap. Maybe they can fit me in on Saturday?

So my at home dye job wasn’t a total fail, but definitely not a total winner either. Perhaps next time I will recruit a friend or *cough* Derek *cough* to help me out . For now I will just need to live with the patches. I mean, they’re not that bad, are they?

I may know something about running and healthy eating, but I am clueless with anything beauty related. Maybe one day I could do a post on my lack of make up skills. 😉

The strawberry flavor of Oikos finally made their first appearance at my Publix this last weekend.

It only took them 6 months to end up on their shelves. I wonder how long it will take the new carmel and chocolate flavors to make their appearance? I hope not too long!

I had the Strawberry Oikos this afternoon with a little granola.

Yum!

The strawberry was tad on the sweet side, but still delicious. 🙂

I’m afraid to say dinner wasn’t very pretty. 🙁

I baked some sliced acorn squash for 15 minutes at 415

And attempted to do a faux calzone with a sundried tomato chicken sausage.

I grilled the sausage, wrapped it in 1/2 a flatbread, added some marinara sauce, and baked it in the oven for about 5 minutes. I had to use tooth picks to make sure the flat bread stayed wrapped around the sausage.

I’m not sure how much I really like this flavor of sausage. It just tastes off somehow. 🙁

Dessert made up for the patchy hair job and so-so dinner.

Egg nog ice cream with a candy cane joe-joe crumbled on top. Delicious. 🙂

I’m off to ponder about life.

Good Night!

1 Jenna January 27, 2010 at 9:37 pm

From the photo, I cant really see patches. And I absolutely LOVE the color on you. It looks so fresh and bold. 🙂 I would totally make my boyfriend help me out too, I’m sure Derek would be a trooper next time for some ‘assistance’.

Have a wonderful evening!

2 Kristin January 27, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Love my guy but would never trust him to dye my hair. His lack of attention to detail/non-understanding of long lovely locks leads me to believe he could potentially be unreliable in this department. I’d stick with a girlfriend!

P/S: Glad to see you’re still in the holiday spirit with eggnog ice cream!

3 Julie @ Pickley Pear January 27, 2010 at 9:37 pm

I like the new color! Couldn’t really see ‘patches’ in the pics. I’m sure it looks great in real life!
I am jealous you live in the south and have Publix. My very favorite grocery store. I found Caramel and Chocolate Oikos at Whole Foods. Just FYI 🙂

4 caitlin January 27, 2010 at 9:39 pm

aww it looks cute!

i’ve done that before and just gotten another box and touched it up. 🙂 no big deal – its still cheaper than going to a salon!

5 Ali January 27, 2010 at 9:39 pm

I love the dark hair on you, so pretty! The patches aren’t so bad, I barely noticed them. It makes me want to dye mine a little darker…hummm maybe I will 😉

6 Jill January 27, 2010 at 9:43 pm

I’d rather know a thing or two about healthy eating and running. Beauty comes from within, so you already got that covered. 🙂

7 Ariffa January 27, 2010 at 9:47 pm

the hair looks awesome! one time when I was like.. 14, i decided I wanted the lower layer of my hair to be lighter brown, my hair’s black, so I bleeached it. and it turned orange.

8 Alison January 27, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Your hair looks great; I love the darker color.
Sigh, I miss Publix. They have the best frozen yogurt flavors. Every time I visit my parents in FL, I have to go get a carton of their fro-yo.
I saw the caramel Oikos at my local Bloom grocery store, but it didn’t have a price next to it, so I didn’t buy it.
Have a great evening!

9 Madeline - Greens and Jeans January 27, 2010 at 9:51 pm

That’s actually the same color I use! I think you did a great job, but it definitely helps having/forcing someone to help you out!

10 hemp jogger January 27, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Lol, meghann, approx 1 month ago I did the exact same thing! On a whim I decided to dye my hair, by myself… Something I’ve never done nor knew how to. Lo- and bedhold, I had identical results with the patchiness. I’m gonna dye again, but I’m glad it wasn’t just me!

11 caronae January 27, 2010 at 9:52 pm

I so need to get on the candy cane jo jo train. Is it too late, lol? Also, the new color looks goirgeous. Don’t worry about the tiny patches 🙂

12 theprocessofhealing January 27, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Chocolate flavored Oikos?! No… My stores take FOREVER to get new flavors too. I still have to travel to Whole Foods to get the pineapple Chobani. Maybe eventuallly right.. i’m dying to try the caramel!!!!

Love the hair color!! And the patches really aren’t that bad at all. I wouldn’t have even noticed if I didn’t already know.

13 Holly January 27, 2010 at 9:54 pm

is that dye ammonia-free? i’m looking for a good hair dye, and i assume “anomia” meant ammonia. would you recommend this brand?

14 Kayla January 27, 2010 at 9:57 pm

The patches aren’t bad at all, I can barely see them and I’m pretty sure that’s only because I was looking for them. I really like that color on you.

I so want to try the strawberry Oikos. But if you just got it I’ll never get it, I’ve only been able to find any Oikos here for the last 2 months.

15 learningtocookeatandenjoydeliciousfood January 27, 2010 at 10:11 pm

I think that the color looks great and I think that with one more color treatment, it would be the color that you see on the box!! If you get the cut… I would recommend getting a cut that looks good when it get longer, if you plan on not cutting it every 5 – 6 weeks!! I hope that helps a little!! 🙂

16 Island Girl Eats January 27, 2010 at 10:19 pm

You are a brave girl! I think that you did a good job.

The problem with having blonde hair (my hair is blonde) is it either goes green or grey looking! Do you remember Crystal Carrington from Dynasty?!!! Say no more!

17 Jenna January 27, 2010 at 10:20 pm

I think the hair job came out great- I can’t see any spots!
I hope my grocery store gets on the bandwagon with the caramel and chocolate oikos too!
Dinner looks great too! Abs dessert looks even better 🙂

18 carolinebee January 27, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Ha meghann u are so cute and u can’t see any patches at all, so don’t even stress!!! I would prob go to a “student” salon type place, or just see if your hairdresser can touch it up a little if u get it cut!

19 Lauren January 27, 2010 at 10:28 pm

I LOVE your hair this color! It’s gorgeous!

20 Laura Georgina January 27, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Very foxy! Love the brunette shade on you.

I can barely see the patches. Maybe there was a bit of hair product on those spots? Either way they’ll even out after a wash or two (I used Natural Instincts for ages and it always evened out)

21 Sarah January 27, 2010 at 10:35 pm

I can’t see the patches at all. You look really pretty ; )
Sarah

22 Emily S. January 27, 2010 at 10:50 pm

I love the darker color on you!! I’ve never had my hair died so I don’t really know what I’m talking about but I can’t see any “patches” from your pics. Also, I haven’t seen ANY of the new Oikos flavors here in good ‘ol NC. Have a great night!

23 Meredith January 27, 2010 at 10:56 pm

I’ve seen far worse dye-jobs (that people think look good). I could hardly tell until you pointed it out!

24 jenngirl January 27, 2010 at 10:58 pm

I LOVE the color! It’s very nice on you 🙂 And I don’t notice the splotches…but I think with practice you could be a hair dying pro in no time!

25 Kristen January 27, 2010 at 10:58 pm

Cute hair color and bravo to you! I bought a box of color last week but I’ve been too chicken to try it, LOL!!

You come up with THE most creative food combo’s! Chicken sausage calzone…I’ll have to try it!

26 Mara @ What's For Dinner? January 27, 2010 at 11:14 pm

Your hair looks great! As someone who did the natural instincts thing for years, the patches will even out in a few days as the excess dye trickles down in the shower…sounds gross, but it helps!

27 K January 27, 2010 at 11:40 pm

I’m just now catching up on your blog. Congrats on the race announcement. That’s huge! I know you’ll do great.
Are you planning to fuel differently for this race so you don’t lose more weight? Have you ever considered calorie counting for a day to make sure you are eating enough? I emphasize a day because I know you don’t like calorie counting…but you might be surprised to see how many calories you are/aren’t eating! Just a suggestion!
Love the hair!

28 Karla January 27, 2010 at 11:50 pm

Love the new hair color! Looks great on you! Good choice!

29 Rachel January 27, 2010 at 11:53 pm

Your hair looks fine! No one will even notice the small patches so don’t worry about it. I love strawberry oikos with granola.. it’s my favorite nighttime dessert.

30 meyergirl January 27, 2010 at 11:56 pm

I think the “patches” just look like the light hitting your hair.

31 adrienmelaine January 28, 2010 at 12:16 am

I hate it when you don’t look like the girl on the box after!

The last time I died my hair from a box my mom told me it looked like the inside of a baby diaper.. thanks mom!

At least you didn’t try to go blonde and if you wear it up no one will notice- safe for tomorrow! Good luck!

32 Chelsea January 28, 2010 at 12:19 am

Candy Cane Jo Jo YOM! Your hair doesn’t look THAT bad. You could touch it up in a week, I think.

33 Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle January 28, 2010 at 12:39 am

I’m impressed you attempted it alone! It looks great, and I wouldn’t worry about any uneven-ness (I can’t really see it in the pics) because the color will fade and blend a little in the next few days.

34 Pure2raw twins January 28, 2010 at 12:42 am

Love the new hair!!! Makes me want to dye mine again.

35 finnyfinds January 28, 2010 at 12:55 am

Thanks for sharing your hair experience with us! I actually started getting a few gray strands a couple years ago, but I don’t have the guts to dye my hair by myself. I haven’t dyed it at all yet, but one of these days maybe I’ll go to a salon and get them covered up with highlights. Or maybe I’ll look at your pictures again and save a few bucks by doing it at home!

36 Nicole January 28, 2010 at 1:16 am

I love the color! I’ve been meaning to dye my hair soon, but I don’t have any money to pay someone to do it and last time I enlisted help, they squirted me in the eye with hair dye! It was not pretty. I’ve never done it myself, but maybe I should try. I don’t see any splotches in your hair!

37 Rika January 28, 2010 at 2:10 am

Love the new hair color!I must say, it suits you very, very well 😀

38 Bridget January 28, 2010 at 2:43 am

Dyeing your own hair is always scary. Don’t be afraid to recruit the help of a man, all through high school my Dad was the go to guy and now my husband is a pro. Just remind them it’s like painting a wall, and not to miss any nooks or crannies.

39 Sammi January 28, 2010 at 3:03 am

The patches aren’t that bad 🙂 I’m loving the color! I need to do something to my hair color. The highlights I have right now are grown out a LOT and they aren’t looking too great 🙁

I’m soooo bad when it comes to make up, hence why I never wear the stuff except for super special occasions. You should see me try to curl my hair… disastrous outcomes usually. Back when my hair was long, I would get half of it curled and then just throw it up in a ponytail or something because curling hair for an hour is not fun. I cried my junior prom day because I couldn’t get my hair to curl! My dad and my grandma were trying to help by using the iron…? lol. I guess my dad was hoping the steam from the iron would help. It didn’t. lol.

40 foodfitnessandfreya January 28, 2010 at 4:13 am

That colour looks really good on you! Well done 🙂 I really want to dye my hair but I’m waaay too scared 😛
ahhh LOVE acorn squash! I think Crown Prince is my favourite, it has a kinda chewy texture when it’s baked..unbelievable!

41 tiffnie January 28, 2010 at 5:27 am

That color looks stunning on you!

42 Tyly January 28, 2010 at 7:52 am

I love the color, and I can’t even see the patches! You look beautiful! 🙂

{daiseeangel.blogspot.com}

43 tami January 28, 2010 at 8:19 am

i lack beauty skills as well, i never wear make up or nail polish…i just can’t be bothered with it.

44 Erin January 28, 2010 at 8:22 am

I like the color! I’ve always been too scared to dye at home, or even dye my hair at all, but some people really have the talent.

45 eaternotarunner January 28, 2010 at 8:32 am

I think it looks great! I like the darker color for sure.

46 Tiffany January 28, 2010 at 8:39 am

Aw your color looks great! Very sexy 😉 And way to go for getting it on your first try! (the patches aren’t that bad!)

47 Niki @ Niki's Neverending Adventure January 28, 2010 at 8:48 am

Love, love,love the color!! I think the darker hair totally suits you!! The patches are hardly noticable! Maybe they will blend a little better after a few hair washings?? I am probably about as clueless on beauty products as you are!! Haha!

48 Joey January 28, 2010 at 8:55 am

LOVE the new color.. great look on you! 🙂

49 Heather January 28, 2010 at 8:59 am

I love the new color, it suits you! you can’t see the patches…just pretend they’re highlights 🙂 I love the new caramel oikos, I hope you find it soon!

50 Jamie (Food in Real Life) January 28, 2010 at 9:02 am

I like the color! Looks good and you really can’t see any patches. I use natural instincts to hide my grey and I think its a pretty good product for the price!

51 Allison January 28, 2010 at 9:37 am

Love the dark color! The patches arent’ really that noticeable at all! I bet if you didn’t straighten your hair you wouldn’t really see them!

52 DiningAndDishing January 28, 2010 at 9:39 am

LOVE the darker color!! 🙂

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

53 Anne P January 28, 2010 at 9:57 am

Love the new color 🙂

54 Jessie January 28, 2010 at 10:09 am

Your hair color looks nice and the patches are barely noticeable.

55 Amy January 28, 2010 at 10:21 am

That color is so great on you! You look beautiful 🙂

56 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad January 28, 2010 at 10:29 am

I really like your new hair color!

The Ingles by my house carries strawberry, blueberry, honey, vanilla, and plain oikos. But EVERY time I go, the strawberry, blueberry, and honey flavors are sold out. RRRrrrrr.

57 Erin Eats and Exercises January 28, 2010 at 10:44 am

The darker color looks great!

58 Erin (Texan Couture) January 28, 2010 at 10:50 am

Front the front that color looks great on you! The darker color makes your eyes pop!
I have done the same thing with patches before when I had my hair blonde my roots were growing out and I just couldn’t take it any more so I dyed it darker and looked like a cheeta with the blonde patches showing through.

59 Whit January 28, 2010 at 11:35 am

I love you dearly…but I do not get how one cannot be obsessed with makeup. because, clearly I am. 😉

I LOVE THE HAIR COLOR!!! Also the patches are totally not noticeable.

Funny story: Once my sister and I dyed my brother in law’s hair. It’s light brown. We made it red. He was so mad….so he dyed it BLACK. he looked like part of the addams family. my sister nearly left him.

60 Krista January 28, 2010 at 11:54 am

Totally random, but I have that exact same shower curtain! LOL!

61 Mandy A January 28, 2010 at 12:26 pm

I love the color! The darker color really suits you 🙂

I wouldn’t have even noticed the patches!

It IS hard to do on your own… haha… I am very lucky…. haha… my husband helps me every time I do mine! 🙂 And he’s GOOD at it. LOL

62 Kate January 28, 2010 at 12:40 pm

I looooove the darker color on you! You totally rock it! I can barely notice the patches until you pointed them out so your first time was a success! I think that you should def post about when Derek helps you 🙂

63 Paula January 28, 2010 at 1:05 pm

I think the patches are just where your old highlights are, so the hair is lighter there. Make sense? Anyway, it looks good, not patchy. LOVE the darker color!

64 goodtastehealthyme January 28, 2010 at 1:18 pm

I had my friend dye my hair for me out of one of those boxes. I was pretty happy with it by the end. I went darker like you. I do like the darker hair color on you!

65 Allison January 28, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Love it! You are way more brave than me. I have my hair highlighted once a year in a salon. I have to save up for it because I am too wimpy to try it at home. Also, I’ve been thinking about going darker or red but I am too scared. 🙂 Go girl!

66 Lauren January 28, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Ahh I’ve had problems with patchiness too when I dye my hair myself. I definitely advise recruiting a friend (or significant other!) to help. My boyfriend has quickly become an excellent hair-dyer 🙂 (I reward him in lavish desserts!)

Regardless, the new color looks very pretty!

67 Jess January 28, 2010 at 2:22 pm

The patches are probably where you didn’t coat your hair with the dye completely. It’s important when you do your own color from a box to section your hair off and start at the root and work your way out. Also, don’t lather it like you would shampoo if you do that it’ll stain your scalp. All you need to do next time is carefully apply the dye to each section and work it through all of your hair 🙂

68 Mama Pea January 28, 2010 at 5:21 pm

So last time I dyed my hair, I started with my bangs and by the time I rinsed it all out, they were a shade darker than the rest of my hair! So ridiculous looking. I bought a second box and just dyed the rest to match. Thank God it worked! I’d just go buy a second box and touch up those splotches!

69 Sweet and Fit January 28, 2010 at 5:44 pm

you look so cute with that hair color! maybe just get Derek to help you touch it up with another box of dye?

70 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) January 28, 2010 at 5:54 pm

I love the hair! and really can’t see the patches at all. It looks great!

71 jabbeyeats January 28, 2010 at 9:24 pm

That color looks amazing on you! A lot of my friends have been dying their hair darker lately, and it tends to look great on everyone! Very classic and sophisticated-looking.

72 Erin January 29, 2010 at 1:42 pm

I love the color! Looks really nice and refreshing on your face 🙂 Oh, the patching, not really noticeable… However, one thing that would probably help would be to choose a permanant over semi-permanent color for deeper saturation over the old highlights. The old highlights will lighten up with time anyway, but permanant color usually does a better job IMO. I am so happy to have found someone else (as well as several of your readers) who don’t pay for crazy haircuts and colors. Having spent tons of money before at high-end salons in Boston, I can appreciate being frugal in that dept. Great blog!