more ยป" />

Barley Risotto

by Meghann on January 26, 2010

Welcome back my new friend.

Why Hello, Mr. Barley!

Last Friday I made a glorious soup with my new friend. Tonight I decided to take your suggestions and try my hand at barley risotto.

I skimmed a few recipes on the internet and ended up creating on my own concoction based on what I had on hand. The results were delicious.

Creamy Goat Cheese & Shrimp Barley Risotto

• 1/2 cup quick cooking barley
  • 3/4 cup vegetable broth
  • 1 teaspoon butter
  • 1/2 cup broccoli
  • 1/2 chopped tomato
  • 1/2 cup mushrooms
  • 1/2 chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup shrimp
  • 1 tablespoon goat cheese
  • oregano
  • basil
  • thyme
  • S&P

Begin by melting the butter on medium heat in a skillet. Add the onions and once stop add the broth, barley and spices and bring to a boil for a minute then bring back to a simmer and stir continuously until all liquid is absorbed.

In a separate pan sautee the broccoli, tomato, and mushroom. Once the vegetables are done combine with the barely. Add the goat cheese and shrimp and cook for 5 minutes or until the shrimp are cooked and you have a creamy delicious risotto.

The goat cheese gave my risotto the perfect cream consistency. It added so much flavor as well. Delicious!

On the side I had 1/2 of a flatbread to wipe my plate clean with. ๐Ÿ™‚

Someone left a big plate of amazing cookies in the office kitchen this afternoon. Instead of diving in right then and there I wrapped one up to save for later and had a brown rice cake with almond butter and dried fruit as my afternoon snack.

Love this snack. ๐Ÿ™‚

After dinner I pulled out the cookie from the office and enjoyed it for dessert.

Totally worth saving.

Tomorrow is the first day of my training plan for a crazy race I have planned next month. All will be revealed in the morning!

Good Night!

1 Carol Tufts January 26, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Awesome post! I am a barley aficienado (is there such a thing). Thank you!

Carol

2 Jenna January 26, 2010 at 9:55 pm

I have never cooked barley myself, but I need to pick some up. I’ve had it at restaurants and in some store bought meals and love it!

I prefer to eat my sweets in the comfort of my own home after a long day too. That way I don’t slam it down and am able to savor it. ๐Ÿ™‚

I can’t wait to hear about your race plan!

3 Erin January 26, 2010 at 10:01 pm

I’ve never made barley but why not?! All other grains are delicious so this one is definitely worth trying! ๐Ÿ˜€

4 Casey January 26, 2010 at 10:17 pm

That dinner looks delish!!

Can’t wait to hear the crazy plan. Runners are crazy people, aren’t we? ๐Ÿ™‚

5 Ashley January 26, 2010 at 10:18 pm

Meghann,
This recipe sounds great! I can’t wait to try it. Barley should make a great lunchtime leftover meal.
I was wondering, I just received my official bib spot for the 2010 NYC Marathon and would LOVE your help putting together a training plan that I can feature on my blog. I’d also love you to do a guest post about training for a first marathon or half marathon that readers can benefit from and apply. What are your thoughts? Can’t wait to meet you in person in 2 weeks!

6 Jenna January 26, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Cookie looks yummy!
Can’t wait to hear about it tomorrow!!

7 theprocessofhealing January 26, 2010 at 10:31 pm

I can’t wait until the morning post to hear the news. I’ve SO curious!!!!

And what a delicious dinner. You never cease to amaze me with your creativity in the kitchen!

8 greensandjeans January 26, 2010 at 10:44 pm

I’ve only had barley in bread, but your dinner looks delicious!

9 fromatopink January 26, 2010 at 11:24 pm

That rice cake snack is intriguing! I just might have to try it… and thank you for reminding me I have rice cakes I need to use up! (Any suggestions as to what to do with them instead of regular PB?)

10 TanyaS January 26, 2010 at 11:44 pm

I’m pretty sure I got the recipe for red beet risotto from your blog last summer and made it with barley last night. It was awesome.

11 dorothy January 26, 2010 at 11:46 pm

omg this is perfectt! i saw your barley stew the other day and really wanted to make it but never got the time (read: got lazy.. ha) but this recipe is even BETTER because i have some goat cheese to use up ๐Ÿ™‚

thanks so much i hope mine turns out as well as your’s!!

12 Jacquie January 26, 2010 at 11:50 pm

Yum! It’s funny you posted this today because I just made a barley risotto last night. It was good as well, but I was running late to class so I couldn’t take pictures and will have to post later this week when I can make it again.

13 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) January 27, 2010 at 12:34 am

Ooooh I really want to get some barley now. I love it in canned soups. The best mix between pasta and rice….RICE-STA! Or RASTA!

14 adrienmelaine January 27, 2010 at 12:35 am

mm cookies!

I want a box of that Barley, second time I’ve seen it this week, looks good!

15 Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle January 27, 2010 at 12:40 am

Ohh the suspense of a new race! Goat cheese + barley? Yes, please.

16 Courtney @ The Tasty Balance January 27, 2010 at 12:47 am

That recipe looks awesome and intriguing! I’ve never used barley but this just made my mouth water! May have to try:)

17 bobbi January 27, 2010 at 12:49 am

mmmm…looks great! Cant wait to hear the plan!

18 Jamie January 27, 2010 at 1:48 am

I’m continually impressed by your “will power” and ability to take snacks and not eat them till you really want them. I know you have a snack drawer and it seems like you are good at rationing through it. I’m not at that point yet! I try to buy only the things I need for the next few days and have to keep most temptations out of the house… I hope I’ll be like you soon ๐Ÿ˜‰

19 caronae January 27, 2010 at 3:04 am

I’ve been loving goat cheese lately. Can’t wait to hear about the race ๐Ÿ™‚

20 sophia January 27, 2010 at 3:40 am

I’ve made all sorts of dishes with barley, and I’ve yet to make risotto with it. Yours look amazing!

I have another barley suggestion for you. I used it to make a base for pizza once: http://www.burpandslurp.com/2009/04/21/seduced-again-by-the-french-mistress/

21 foodfitnessandfreya January 27, 2010 at 3:56 am

oh that risotto sounds soo good!! I love goat’s cheese, but I’ve never thought of stirring it into a risotto before – thanks for the idea!!
OoOoH can’t wait to hear about your race plans! I have crazy race plans myself ๐Ÿ˜›

22 Karla January 27, 2010 at 7:48 am

I love that you save your office treats for a later dessert. That’s such a good idea!

23 Heather January 27, 2010 at 8:44 am

Looks good! I’ve never tried to make risotto with anything but arborio..i’d love to try it with something else. Can’t wait to hear what you’re training for!

24 jessicaamc January 27, 2010 at 9:12 am

I freaking love risotto but the traditional versions often have tons of calories/fat… so that’s only good as a nice treat. Yours looks excellent and healthy!!

Just me or does your rice cake snack look like a face? Rice face!

25 Anna January 27, 2010 at 9:27 am

I really admire your willpower– that is no small feat (for me, at least) to save a cookie for later and have my healthy regular snack instead.

I’ve made risotto with barley before– don’t you LOVE how chewy it is?!?

26 Amy January 27, 2010 at 9:53 am

Your risotto looks amazing ๐Ÿ™‚ I might have to give that a try, as I think I’ve got all the ingredients at home!

Also, can’t wait to hear about the new racing plans!

27 Heather @ (The Single Dish) January 27, 2010 at 11:22 am

Barley is great, I love it too!

28 Stephanie January 27, 2010 at 12:24 pm

mmmm that risotto looks great! I’ve actually never tried barley before…I tend to stick with the usual. I’ll have to pick some up and try it!

29 iga January 27, 2010 at 3:06 pm

i love barley but have never thought of making a risotto with it! such a great and nutritious idea!

30 Rachel January 27, 2010 at 10:38 pm

Oh man, this looks great. I’ve never had goat cheese!

I don’t know if I’d be able to save that cookie instead of just chomping on it immediately :/