5 Hours

by Meghann on January 25, 2010

5 hours into my Monday and I can already tell this is going to be another crazy, busy week! Oh well. Its best not to fight it and instead strap in and hang on for the ride. Friday isn’t too far away, right? 😉

My morning began in meetings that didn’t break until close to 11:00. At which time I was salivating over the lovely apple that was waiting for me in the fridge.

IMG_7516

There is something about eating a crunchy cold apple that makes me happy. 🙂

I thought the later snack would push back my lunch by an hour or so, but sure enough when 12:00 rolled around my stomach was more than ready for a full meal.

At home I reheated left over Sweet Potato, Kale and Barley Soup from Friday night.

IMG_7523

The soup had soaked up most of its broth in the fridge over the weekend, but was still very hearty and delicious.

IMG_7527

I paired the soup with 1/3 of a piece of Herb and Spice Flatbread I purchased at the Farmer’s Market on Saturday.

IMG_7519

I really enjoyed the Italian seasoning in this bread and have plans to turn the spiced flatbread into personal pizzas in the very near future. Perhaps for dinner tonight? 😉

IMG_7530

Bon Appetite!

IMG_7521

Facts and Figures…

On Friday I wrote about my marathon weight loss and was overwhelmed with all the wonderful comments that I received. Each comment made me stop and think which is always a sign of a good comment. One particular theme that seemed to dominate the comments was the question of why weight was such a taboo subject in healthy living blogs.

Personally I know all walks of life read my blog and I try to respect all my  readers by staying away from the topic of weight. I’ve found when I’ve made any mention of it in the past without giving a disclosure I have more than one unwelcomed comment on the issue.

Trust me, I’m not perfect and I don’t pretend to be. Just like everyone else I have days when I’m not happy with how I look or how certain outfits fit me. My weight fluctuates up and down from week to week based on my will power over chocolate. And believe it or not I do feel – wait for it – guilt when I occasionally over do it on dessert. Shocker!

Yes, I am human. Take it or leave it.

In the long run those thoughts are fleeting and nothing I obsess over. I think if I did blog about it then I would be obsessing over it. I would also be obsessing over the comments that would come out of it. I prefer to be peaceful and happy. 🙂

What are your thoughts on weight as a taboo subject in healthy living blogs?

1 Evan Thomas January 25, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Weight–I just don’t tackle the issue on my blog. It’s just not along the subject matter nd I’ve seen that all it does is spark contraversy so I stay clear 🙂
I can tell this is going to be a crazy week, too. It feels like everyone is coming out of the woodworks and wanting to get things done(finally) at once!

2 megan January 25, 2010 at 3:49 pm

in my opinion it’s up to the writer of the blog. if you want to talk about it, go for it. if you don’t want to talk about it or deal with the issues that inevitably come up, don’t talk about it. 🙂 I don’t mind talking about it or reading about it, and personally I find it interesting. but when it comes down to it, it’s your blog, and you should talk about what you want to talk about. as girls, we’re all probably a little worried about our weight, what we look like, etc. it’s a real issue, and you can care about it without being unhealthy. that’s my opinion anyway 🙂

3 foodfitnessandfreya January 25, 2010 at 3:51 pm

I don’t think it’s a huge problem on blogs – but all the ones I read don’t really mention it often. However if I read a blog that was obsessive over weight, or .. well I can’t think of proper examples :s, I would just not read it. I think how you handle the subject is brilliant cos you’re right – everyone is human!
You’re not alone in your crazy week, I got exams, deadlines and new kittens to deal with!! You have my greatest sympathy 🙂
OHa nd your lunch looks deee-vine!

4 Lisa (bakebikeblog) January 25, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Great looking lunch!
I think weight has a certain place on health blogs…..but not a huge place. I personally dont generally talk about it, but I am also not turned off if others mention it. I agree that it is really a matter for the author.

5 bobbi January 25, 2010 at 4:09 pm

love this post! First I love apples too, and I have to have one EVERYDAY!!! Second I am not sure what the deal is with wight on blogs, I guess it just is a super hot topic like religion and politics. I too try to steer away from talking about weight on my blog, but at the same time I want to be REAL! Thank you for being real megs!

6 Jess January 25, 2010 at 4:17 pm

I think that if its something important to you on you food blog you should address it when it pops up. I think Heather at Hangry Pants and Tina at Carrots n’ Cake handle it beautifully. They want to lose a few lbs for themselves and are approaching it in a very mature and healthy way. It helps explain their eating habits. For example, I have been happy with my weight for 3 years now so its not in my head and no need to talk about it. Prior, I was underweight (digestive issues) and trying to gain, at that point it was important to me and something I was focused on and affected my eating habits. If I had a blog at that time it may be something I addressed, just to explain m 1/2 gallon of chocolate milk habit!

You do a wonderful job Meghann! Just be yourself and do what feels right to you! 😀

7 MaryB January 25, 2010 at 4:20 pm

I think people can be healthy at all weights, including being over what the charts say. I follow your blog because of your healthy outlook on life, eating and fitness, and I expect your weight to fluctuate, just like a real person!
I don’t consider it a taboo subject, and if a blog were I trigger for me I just wouldn’t read it. Likewise, if I am looking for a weight loss (or gain) blog there are plenty of them out there, with people who might weigh themselves twice a day!

8 greensandjeans January 25, 2010 at 4:25 pm

I understand that there are quite a few people recovering from disordered eating patterns out there in the blog world, but weight is definitely a “real” issue that many of us deal with! I think it shouldn’t be completely ignored because that takes away the “real factor” on our blogs! I think ignoring it makes it seem like we don’t have weight issues!

9 Retta @ RunRettaRun January 25, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Lunch looks fantastic! It’s all about healthy living and that is what you are blogging about. Guilt after over-indulgence is normal and human. I just think there are those out there that thrive on negativity and like to “stir the pot” on certain subjects.

10 inmytummy January 25, 2010 at 4:27 pm

I hated it when a few people were telling you that you were no longer an inspiration to them because you weren’t eating enough or what have you. Like you said, you’re human. You’re a person. This blog is your life.

A lot of healthy living blogs start out with a back story of the person losing a significant amount of weight. You don’t just lose weight and then never think about it again. It’s not bad to talk about it.

Just my two cents.

11 Jasmine @ Eat Move Write January 25, 2010 at 4:33 pm

I think weight is an issue that many people have to deal with. Being healthy means being real. I talk about weight on my blog sometimes. It is what it is. Your blog is great.

12 Jacquie January 25, 2010 at 4:37 pm

I think weight is just a personal subject and I feel you’re right, it makes you focus on it more when weight doesn’t truly matter, health does. Obviously a post here and there isn’t bad, but to just focus on that, wouldn’t be fun for you or us :o)

13 eaternotarunner January 25, 2010 at 4:40 pm

I don’t have a problem with bloggers mentioning weight, because it is something that everyone thinks about to some extent. Really I believe it is up to the blogger, its just unfortunate that there might be negative backlash from just being honest…

14 Emily January 25, 2010 at 4:40 pm

While I have tons of sympathy (and some personal experience with) eating disorders I think it’s silly to make weight a taboo blog topic. Healthy, well-adjusted women do think about weight! They do read nutritional stats, they might weigh/measure some foods, etc. Unless a blogger is clearing being obsessive about it, why not include that piece of the healthy eating pie? That pun made me smile 🙂

15 Jerilynne January 25, 2010 at 4:41 pm

I would rather you (and bloggers in general) be real and talk about it if you want to!

Like it or not, thinking/talking about weight is a normal part of life and if people never talk about it, it’s easy to get the feeling that someone’s life is “perfect” which, in turn, can make others (by “others” I mean “me”) stress over not being “perfect”. I’m not saying I am ever happy to hear that other people have times when they don’t like the way they look in an outfit or that they felt guilty about eating one too many cookies, but sometimes it’s nice to know that I’m not the only one, you know?

That being said – I think you are very real, that’s why I continue to read your blog. Thank you for being so willing to put yourself out there for the whole world to read!

16 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) January 25, 2010 at 4:42 pm

For me it’s a non-issue. I am actively trying to lose weight and talk about it often on my blog. I don’t obsess over it but it’s definitely on my mind a lot. I figure that the people reading my blog will understand that I have a healthy, attainable goal and am trying to achieve it the healthy way. I would hope it wouldn’t trigger or upset anyone.

At the same time, I don’t put my weight on my blog because I don’t want anyone to comment with; “your goal weight is too low” or “your goal weight is too high.” That part is pretty personal for me.

17 Shawna January 25, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Hi Meghann,
I really enjoy & read your blog every day. I personally have never had a problem with any of your post topics. I am actually most interested in topics of weight and surely there are other people out there who also appreciate hearing about it every so often. Thanks!

18 Anna January 25, 2010 at 4:49 pm

I can understand why weight would be a taboo subject on healthy living blogs. It should be more about healthy eating, exercising, and an overall healthy lifestyle as opposed to a number on a scale.

Still, I do think that sometimes knowing someone’s “numbers” are important– for instance, a person who is 5 foot 2 and weighs 100 pounds would eat much less than a person who is 5 foot 10, but if a reader might not be able to know the difference unless said numbers are given on the blog.

That being said, I’m not ABOUT to post my weight on my blog, haha 🙂

19 Cassie January 25, 2010 at 5:04 pm

I think that the subject of weight is definitely a tough one to discuss on a blog. On one hand you never want to trigger anyone’s eating disorder, but at the same time you need to keep this blog as a reflection of your life. I think you have a great balance – you hardly mention your weight, which as mentioned above shows that you don’t obsess over your weight. When you do have posts about your weight, it is generally a good resource for people going through the same thing you are – like running a marathon. It’s interesting to see how training affects different people (and how different training programs affect the same people!) Also, I really admire how confident you are in yourself – it really shines through in your posts, and your openess to discussion about hard topics like weight 🙂

20 justveggin January 25, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Hi 🙂
I’ve recently begun reading your blog and its great! I’m training for my first marathon at the end of February and your post about your recent marathon was very inspiring!

21 Pure2raw twins January 25, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Great question. I think it is up to the person who is writing the blog if they want to discuss weight, because frankly it is theirs to do whatever they want with it. I think it is great that you talked about it and should not be a bad thing, and I am sorry to hear people gave you a hard time. Everyone talks about how they want people to be honest and then when you finally open up about something, they smash you?? Does not make sense.

I know weight can be a serious issue for some, but I have noticed there are a lot of bloggers whose blog is about them losing weight, so if it is being used to help others I see no wrong. But people also have to remember to use common sense in that ever person is different, and just because one person eats that or not that, should not really affect them. Aren’t we all here to help and inspire not be rude and judgmental??

Sorry for the long comment.

22 Kate January 25, 2010 at 5:10 pm

its kind of hard to have a healthy living blog without talking about weight, but i truly think its all in how you do it. i think most bloggers are really conscious of the topic and how it can cause controversy, and so they do it moderately and with poise (like yourself!).

23 Karla January 25, 2010 at 5:11 pm

I think what people choose to put in their body is their choice and honestly none of my business. That being said, I really like reading about what healthy people (and sometimes not so healthy people) eat.
We’re all human, we all worry about things and for women in our society weight is one of the big worries. I think it’s hard to be a woman and not talk about your weight. I’m trying my hardest to not talk about the parts of myself I don’t like but inevitably it’ll happen someday. I hope no one judges me for wanting to be in a healthy weight range for my height.

This is your blog, honestly I think you should write about whatever you like 🙂

24 Runeatrepeat January 25, 2010 at 5:12 pm

You know I keep it pretty real on my blog, but even I have made an effort to write about weight less. While I legitimately am a bit overweight for my height/age/fitness, so many times when I talk about losing weight I have comments from people that disagree or say that it makes them feel bad since they are heavier than me. It is never my intention to make anyone feel bad about his/herself so I now try to work around it as much as I can while still being honest and open.

As a reader… I also realize it bugs me when someone I think of as “skinny” talks about needing to lose weight or even when they write about feeling guilty after eating dessert. I have stopped reading blogs of people who I think make me feel bad about myself or my weight. No one wants to read about you berating yourself.

Anyways, I think you handle this “weighty” subject very responsibly 🙂

25 Matt January 25, 2010 at 5:13 pm

I think weight is just such a touchy subject in the blog world and it should be avoided. People come in all different shapes and sizes; what is “healthy living” for one person doesn’t mean it is for another.

26 Kelli January 25, 2010 at 5:25 pm

I think it is a taboo subject for many reasons. However, the dominant one is that there is a REASON we all strive toward a healthy lifestyle. Chances are that are one point in our lives we were not living clean and healthy lives and our weight showed it. I am a person who easily become obsessed about my weight, and now that I am living a healthier lifestyle I have no room for the obsession.

27 Sammi January 25, 2010 at 5:26 pm

I understand why certain people would not respond favorably to posts about weight because of eating disorders or anything that the post can trigger. However I do not personally have an issue with it and I enjoy reading posts regarding weight. It is your blog at the end of the day, no one is forcing anyone to read it so you should feel free to talk about whatever you want. It is about food and healthy living and weight is a natural part of anyone’s life. It isn’t as if you are bragging about weight loss and showing photos of your abs everyday and saying how amazing it is to be skinny!

28 Katie @ Health for the Whole Self January 25, 2010 at 5:30 pm

I think that it is perfectly acceptable to discuss weight on a healthy living blog, as long as you’re mindful of the fact that some of your readers could be especially sensitive to the topic (and hence I appreciate that you give a little “heads up” beforehand). Part of being healthy is maintaining a healthy weight. It becomes a problem, however, when weight becomes the ONLY focus, or even the MAIN one. When pre-occupation with weight overshadows all other health goals, then a blog is no longer about healthy living, really. It’s about pounds.

Also, we as bloggers cannot ignore the fact that culturally weight is not a neutral topic for women. There are societal ideals that we cannot ignore (although we can choose to reject them). So I think the best approach is to discuss weight in moderation, with a realistic tone. We have to recognize that, for us women, weight is often about much more than health. It’s about the messages we get from our society each and every day.

29 Heather (Heather's Dish) January 25, 2010 at 5:33 pm

weight is such a hard subject, but I think it’s imperative for health blogs to at least discuss it since the goal would be to encourage someone to take those changes in a healthy way. i love that you were open and honest about your weight loss, and it’s been so inspirational for me to see your weight loss journey and now your maintenance!

30 Nicole January 25, 2010 at 5:37 pm

I think it’s normal for weight to come up on healthy living blogs, but I don’t think it should be a main focus. I think most of us think about it at times, so it’s bound to come up at times. I think you handle it very well on your blog!

Your soup looks delicious, by the way!

31 Heather January 25, 2010 at 5:39 pm

I think weight is a subject that shouldn’t be taboo if it’s used in a respectable manor. Mentioning it or a gain or loss is part of your “healthy living” and can add to a blog. However, it’s easy to cross the line. It is, after all, just a number. From the point of view of a blog, even if there are pictures, you can’t really “see” what someone looks like- how tall they are, whether they’re muscular or not, etc. That can be dangerous when other people start comparing themselves to that number. (That may lie more with reader responsibility though). Mentioning it is fine in most cases, but obsessing and talking about it allll the time is another thing though.

32 Meredith January 25, 2010 at 5:46 pm

I definitely blog about my weight, but part of my blog is my weight loss journey (60 lbs so far and still going strong!). however, I try not to talk about it too much because I don’t want it to seem like a number is my obsession. rather, a lifestyle change is the point of my blog. I think you create a good balance and I wouldn’t worry too much. you certainly don’t seem obsessed. you seem human!

33 Erin January 25, 2010 at 6:05 pm

I think it’s “taboo” because we like to pretend that healthy living isn’t about weight loss but about lifestyle. We should acknowledge, though, that being healthy also has to do with maintaining a healthy weight.

34 Jen (Life's Too Short to Eat Fat Free Cheese) January 25, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Most of the time it doesn’t bother me, but it had gotten to me a bit lately with an outbreak of people well within their healthy weight who live healthy, active lifestyles saying they need/want to lose a few.

I get it, because I was that person once — someone who was thin and still thought I could stand to “lose a few.” My blog even started out as weight loss blog of sorts. I also respect that when it’s your blog you can say/do what you want — and that’s why I usually refrain from commenting on weight-related posts.

I do feel sad, though, when strong, healthy women talk about needing to lose when they’re already in a healthy range. I just wish women in general could love themselves more and worry about the number on the scale just a little less.

35 Tay January 25, 2010 at 6:16 pm

I don’t like that it’s such a taboo subject because it then makes me self-conscious whenever I want to talk about weight issues. I understand that it’s touchy because there are so many people recovering or struggling with eating disorders. But if I’m blogging about my life, weight struggles definitely play a role. I understand not wanted to be bombarded with “weighty” issues during blog reading, but I wish it weren’t so taboo that I feel that I can’t even mention it on the blog.

36 Jamie January 25, 2010 at 6:17 pm

I understand why people are concerned with talking about weight on blogs, but I agree with previous posters who say that part of the healthy lifestyle that is advocated on blogs is maintaining a healthy weight. As you’ve said, you’ve lost some weight recently but only you can know whether its a healthy weight for you or not. And its NORMAL to feel guilty after eating dessert or too much food

On a lighter note, I am a firm believer that leftovers are often better than right after you make something. I bet your soup was super flavorful 😉

37 tiffnie January 25, 2010 at 6:38 pm

Sometimes I wish Fuji apples were a man so I could marry them!

“I think if I did blog about it then I would be obsessing over it. I would also be obsessing over the comments that would come out of it. I prefer to be peaceful and happy. ”

I feel the same way too. Whenever I start writing about my weight and reading blogs that exclusively talk about weight loss, my insecurities start bubbling up to the surface and threaten to overwhelm. You owe it to yourself to be peaceful and happy and if that means talking or not talking about your weight, so be it. I find it incredibly considerate of you to start off your weight-related posts with a warning so that those who may get triggered have a chance to stop reading.

As for weight being a taboo subject…I agree completely with what Katie @ Health for the Whole Self said.

38 Gracie January 25, 2010 at 6:48 pm

I don’t think that weight should be a taboo issue at all. In fact, I feel even more connected to bloggers when they have the courage to be open and honest about their weight issues, struggles, and achievements. Weight is an issue that most women deal with whether they admit it or not, so I think seeing/reading about *healthy* examples of maintaining or losing weight is a very good thing.

We live in a society where weight loss is talked about ALL the time, yet the means of achieving that have become so skewed. I think it’s more important than ever to see women lose/maintain weight in a healthy, non-obsessive way. So I 100% have your back 😉

39 Jenna January 25, 2010 at 7:05 pm

I love your blog and how you approach and talk about weight! Keep posting like you do 🙂
Jenna

40 FoodCents January 25, 2010 at 7:10 pm

I believe it is upto whomever is writing the blog and their personal decisions, which in this case is YOU!!!! You do whatever you feel is right for YOU. If someone doesn’t like the mentioning of weight, they need not read. We all have to do what is best for our own personal feelings and anything that might trigger super negative thoughts about ourselves.

I do not think the issue of weight should be taboo, though I do understand that it can be a trigger for those who have struggled and overcoming ED’s, so I understand why it can be a sensitive subject.

For me, health is about so much more than the number on the scale. It’s about how you feel, move, see the world and yourself. Some blogs are going to appeal to different readers in different ways.

You talk about whatever you wish to talk about, just keep being YOU!!!

41 loveprevails January 25, 2010 at 7:12 pm

I LOVE your attitude towards the week ahead! Can’t fight it, may as well hang and ride it! LOL
I totally appreciate you steering away from numbers and weight. Life is about so much more than that, and you run because you love it, not to look at your weight and compare it to where you were a year ago or whatever.
Yes, all walks of life read blogs and I think that your loved by lots of readers because of exactly how you run your blog. Respectfully, yet real!
Great job 🙂

42 Elina January 25, 2010 at 7:23 pm

I respect your decision to blog or not blog about whatever you want (especially if certain subjects bring on unnecessary comments that you don’t feel like dealing with), but I don’t think that writing about your guilt is necessarily obsessing over it. You put a lot of your life out there on the blog, and sharing your feelings on a particular subject, like feeling guilty when you overdo it on dessert, I think is normal. I think it shouldn’t be misjudged as something else… just like writing about a particularly great run should not be treated as bragging, the flip side shouldn’t be judged as obsessing (not sure if this example works… hopefully it does 😉 ). Anyway, we all read blogs for different reasons and also have different writing styles. I personally find that when I share my true feelings on the blog (even if I’m sometimes embarrassed to admit something) it’s welcomed by my readers because they appreciate my honesty. K, that’s my 5 cents. 🙂

43 Tay January 25, 2010 at 7:24 pm

It’s all about attitude to me–that is, what kind of attitude the writer of the blog takes toward weight, both their own and others. I post my weight each week on my blog because part of my goal is to lose weight (but it’s only part of the bigger picture of improving my overall health). I have about 30 pounds to go, but I hope that once I reach my “happy weight” I don’t feel compelled to keep track of my weight weekly.

44 theprocessofhealing January 25, 2010 at 8:29 pm

Cold crispy apples = awesomeness 🙂

As for the weight, I really admire anyone who DOES discuss it. I do not think it should be such a taboo subject but I also know that there are those out there who are sensitive to weight issues who read blogs. But you do (posts that I have seen) warn that you are going to be talking about weight, giving those who do not want to hear about the option to leave your blog. And really, that’s a good point in itself. No one HAS to read your blog, they CHOOSE to. I think you have an extremely healthy approach to weight and no matter what you do or say, there is always going to be someone out there who doesn’t like it and will say so.

45 Kate January 25, 2010 at 9:36 pm

I really appreciate that weight is not the biggest discussion topic on healthy living blogs because I think there are better ways to gauge your health than a number on the scale. The effort you put into eating clean, working out with balanced cardio and strength training and the joy a person has in treating themselves well are more important than how big or small that number is, right?

46 M January 25, 2010 at 9:56 pm

I think you’re very respectful. A blogger CANNOT anticipate what will trigger who, and a post that is wholly sensitive to one person may seem outrageously judgmental or rude to another. It’s impossible to please everyone or even to not offend everyone! You’re permitted to complain about gaining or losing a few pounds, to want to look and feel your best, to feel guilty about excess and pleased with good choices, to eat sweets and treats and NOT feel guilty. You’re allowed to do and feel everything that makes you Meaghann, and you’ve never come off as anything other than considerate and sensitive, imo. But i understand that you can always unintentionally hurt someone’s feelings — and i think you really preempt that with your qualifiers and your obvious concern for everyone’s feelings.
People who give up your blog because you “make them” feel bad about themselves are the ones who need to look inward and figure out what the problem is.

47 Rachel January 25, 2010 at 10:33 pm

I don’t think writing about weight means you’re obsessing over it. Regardless of what most “healthy living” bloggers view as taboo for their daily (or weekly or whatever) posts, they often have a story about some sort of weight loss that happened in their life. From my perspective, if you’re willing to share your personal weight struggle/history, it’s not that big of a deal to talk about your weight on your blog. Of course, it’s a personal choice of the author & I respect that, but I still don’t think it should be taboo. That just gives it more power.

48 kelsey @ kelseytoney January 25, 2010 at 11:20 pm

I just want to concur that apple chomping is a VERY happy happening. 😀

49 K January 25, 2010 at 11:35 pm

I just think it may be hard for some readers who have eating disorders see someone like you (who is very skinny and runs a ton of miles) feel guilty over eating an extra piece of chocolate for dessert. I think that there is a fine line of balance…and if you are a runner I think you have the right to indulge more often and not feel guilty about it.

50 melissa January 26, 2010 at 12:12 am

Talking about weight is NORMAL. I think you do an excellent job on your blog demonstrating balance and healthy living and yes, talking about weight is healthy – obsessing is not!

51 Nicci January 26, 2010 at 1:22 am

I don’t like to talk about weight either, but I did a post on it recently b/c I wanted to share with my readers my thoughts…after a co-worker made a weight comment to me. I believe it shows that we are all human and there is a great support system among bloggers.

52 The Hungry Runner January 26, 2010 at 8:36 am

I don’t think it is bad to mention it; but it is probably good not to obsess over it. However, maintaining a healthy weight is part of a healthy lifestyle and I guess that it is relevant on a healthy living blog. I’m sure that weight is an issue that many healthy living bloggers think about at some point and so it is nice to hear other people’s views on the matter from time to time. 🙂 As other people have said, it is the writer’s blog, and if the writer decides to express some feelings on a particular matter then that is up to them. I think you did a great job expressing how you felt 🙂

53 goodtastehealthyme January 26, 2010 at 10:21 am

I think it should be up to the person writing the blog. If you want to talk about weight you should be able to! I hate the fact that it’s such a taboo and I think people can be oversensitive. If someone doesn’t like the topic they don’t have to read it.

haha WHOA I feel like I sound heated. I’m just saying that it’s a normal thing to talk about for a lot of people and that bloggers shouldn’t have to walk on eggshells regarding what they want to discuss.

54 ellie January 26, 2010 at 12:12 pm

I don’t understand why weight is such a taboo issue. I have an eating disorder, and if I come across a blog that seems to be emulating disordered eating, or promoting an unhealthy low weight or intake, I don’t read. I feel bad that bloggers feel they have to censor what they say because they may trigger someone- readers need to take personal responsibility for what is healthy/unhealthy for them to read. Honestly…this is the real world, with real people and a healthy balanced lifestyle includes all kinds of bumps, highlights, etc. Nobody expects you to be perfect- heck, the “perfect” blogs are ones I lose interest in quickly because I like to read about what I am striving towards and I think that 99% of people have days when they feel self-conscious about their weight, or feel guilty about something they ate. It’s what makes us human and it’s what makes us interesting.

Obsessing over weight/food isn’t what I would consider healthy, but I think it’s an issue that DOES come up in people’s lives and if you want to write about it, write about it. Your blog, your rules 🙂