more ยป" />

Mini Meals

by Meghann on January 24, 2010

For those of you who guessed in my last post that my family’s business was porta potties then you are correct!

No, it doesn’t give me an excuse to cut in line, but its still fun to know that my Dad or uncles may have had something to do with those getting there. :)

Anyways, today’s lunch was split into two parts.

The first part was a salad I ate on a pit stop in Lakeland on the way to Tampa.

A good tip when avoiding fast food on the road is hitting up the local supermarket instead. Derek and I had to stop in lakeland to pick up his grandmother and I asked him if there was any place I could grab a bite to eat since my tummy was starting to grumble. He started listing off the typical fast food places when I asked him if there was a Publix. I ran in and grabbed a salad, dressing, and tea for around $3.50.

I only drizzled about a 1/3 of the dressing over the salad. It was a fresh mix of greens, apples, blueberries, raisins, and walnuts. It wasn’t too filling but I was expecting a large snack later so i didn’t mind.

While I was eating this little butt decided to jump out the car window and set off in lovely parking lot traffic.

Luckily, I was able to catch her before she got too far, but I now know that Maddie has no problem jumping out of car windows. The little butt.

When we made it to Tampa Derek was ready for his lunch so we headed to Pappa’s Market Cafe.

Pappas is a cute fast food place that focuses on fresh greek food.

I ordered the hummus and considered it lunch part 2.

The hummus was the perfect compliment to my salad earlier. The pitas were warm, the hummus was tasty and it filled me right up.

Derek and I spent the afternoon being lazy. We napped and wandered around the mall. Both of us weren’t very hungry because of the late lunch/ large snack, but knew we needed to grab dinner before the 7:30 start of the hockey game. We ended up deciding to split a veggie/tofu dish from a thai restaurant near the arena as well as some thai soup.

My plate

I may have not bee that hungry for dinner, but there’s always room in my stomach for dessert. My sweet tooth had been out of control all day and after dinner I was on the hunt for chocolate.

I found a peanut butter cup cupcake that was calling my name and dug right in.

Honestly, it wasn’t the best cupcake I ever had. The icing was very cold and stiff and the cupcake was dry, but I ate ever last bite and put my sweet tooth to bed for the night. My sweet tooth thanked me immensely.

I actually broke the bottom part of the cupcake off and made a sandwich out of the icing. When I took the bite Derek commented how it looked like I was taking a bite out of cheeseburger. The joke made us giggle all night. ;)

For christmas I bought Derek tickets to see the Tampa Bay Lightening play. Part of the present was I would go with him.

I had never been to a hockey game before or even seen a real one played. When ever something happened and Derek commented about it refrences to the movie Mighty Ducks would pop into my head. I kept waiting for the flying v to come out from behind the goal box. ;)

During the first part of the game I sipped on half of a shock top

The second part of the game I became sleepy because of the beer in from the first part. You know those little kids that pass out in the last period of games in their parent’s arms? Yeah, that was me. Only it was Derek’s arms I had fallen asleep in.

Good news is we won! Go Bolts!!

More good news is its time for me to go sleep in a real bed, though still in Derek’s arms.

Good night!

1 Erin January 24, 2010 at 1:31 am

Aw, sounds like a fun night! And I’m with you — there’s always room for a little chocolate. ;)

2 Julia January 24, 2010 at 1:34 am

What a great date – day! Makes me miss my fiance.
I can’t believe Maddie jumped out the car window! Hopefully you can find a good way to keep her safe in the car!
Enjoy the rest of the weekend with Derek!

3 TorontoGirloutWest January 24, 2010 at 1:52 am

You sound very much in love! And it makes me smile! ?

4 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) January 24, 2010 at 3:25 am

The grocery store meal is definitely a great way to go! Sometimes I get a pot of Greek yogurt and fruit/granola from the salad bar….or just a granola bar crumbled up.

Congrats to Derek!!

5 foodfitnessandfreya January 24, 2010 at 4:32 am

Oh that cupcake looks AMAZING!! It’s been years since I had a cupcake, heavan knows whey cos ohmygosh that one looked divine!!
I do that supermarket thing too if I’m on the road and need something, it’s often really cheap too :)

6 Karla January 24, 2010 at 8:29 am

Grocery store meals are a great idea! I’ll keep that in mind for my next road trip!
The cupcake looks lovely, too bad is wasn’t that great!

7 Heather January 24, 2010 at 8:52 am

oo hockey game, what fun! I think that’s the one sporting event I would really want to go to. That peanut butter cupcake looks SO good- how disappointing it wasn’t the best.

8 Anna January 24, 2010 at 9:05 am

I’ve never been to a hockey game, but it always seems like fun– very intense!!

That chocolate cupcake LOOKS divine– sorry it didn’t taste as good as it looks :-(

9 Alison January 24, 2010 at 9:40 am

What a fun day! I’m glad you were able to catch Maddie in the parking lot.
The warm pita and hummus looks divine.
Glad you had fun at the Bolts game; hockey is such a fun sport to watch.

10 Jenna January 24, 2010 at 9:44 am

Hummus looks great as eel as your cupcake!

11 Amanda @ The Hungry Wanderers January 24, 2010 at 10:00 am

The icing was probably buttercream and refrigerated so they should have told you to wait ten minutes or so to let it come to room temperature. I had a cupcake once like that where I didn’t know to wait and it was definitely gross. When I went back to the same place and took it home to eat it was way better! Too bad it was gross when you ate it!

12 jenngirl January 24, 2010 at 10:07 am

That’s such a great tip about running into a grocery for on the go fast food–they have so much ready made stuff, but no one ever thinks of it!

Glad you caught Maggie before she went too far! haha that would have scared me.

Hope you got a good night’s sleep–I would totally fall asleep at a hockey game ;)

13 theprocessofhealing January 24, 2010 at 10:30 am

The hummus looks great!! And that’s a good tip about supermarkets.

Haha that’s so funny that you fell asleep at the game :) I probably would have to, except a lot sooner.

14 inmytummy January 24, 2010 at 10:57 am

I fell asleep at a concert once! That’s worse than at a hockey game.

15 Mara @ What's For Dinner? January 24, 2010 at 11:14 am

What a fun day/night!!!

16 Amy January 24, 2010 at 11:14 am

Sometimes I go hit up the grocery store for lunch over our building’s cafeteria- I usually get a better quality salad with more toppings for $2-3 less. So worth it!

17 Gina January 24, 2010 at 11:18 am

My dog is terrified of car windows. If I ever put one down, she hops over to the other side so she won’t be near it. Sorry the cupcake wasn’t that great, looks can be deceiving!

18 Sweet and Fit January 24, 2010 at 11:37 am

I can’t believe maddie jumped out the car window! I love hockey games – but I haven’t been to one in ages, I also fall asleep towards the end most times though =)

19 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) January 24, 2010 at 11:48 am

It sounds like you both had a lovely night! I

20 Heather January 24, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Meghann – thats such a great tip to stop at the supermarket when on the road- i’ve done it a few times, myself but ive never made it a habit – it just makes so much sense! more options, more health ingredients, and less money! triple threat win :)

21 Dani January 24, 2010 at 12:12 pm

You fell asleep, at a hockey game?! How could you!? :) You’ll have to forgive me. I’m from Buffalo, NY and we have a huge Sabres following which means we’re a town of hockey nuts. Not to mention football nuts, even though our football team sucks (cross our fingers for next season with our new coach).

22 Beth (Mackattack) January 24, 2010 at 12:17 pm

awww! That sounds like a fabulous day! I’m with you on the sweets, you need one to finish off the day :)

23 Jasmine @ Eat Move Write January 24, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Ah! She is a little butt. I know that must have stressed you out like crazy.

Your cupcake is beautiful if not over-the-top delish.

24 eaternotarunner January 24, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Too bad that cupcake wasn’t good, it looks delicious!

25 Lorin January 24, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Is Publix like a Henry’s or Trader Joes? We don’t have that over here on the west coast, but it sounds like it has a bunch of good, declicious food!

26 Caroline January 25, 2010 at 10:20 am

“The Atlanta Thrashers know how to wrest a loss from the steel jaws of victory” Not that I wouldn’t cheer for them if pressed, being my home town team and all.

27 Veronica January 25, 2010 at 12:02 pm

That’s funny about Maddie. I have a Jack Russell too, so I remember those puppy days well, haha.

28 MEG C. January 25, 2010 at 6:55 pm

ahhh i love mighty ducks! if i’m ever watching hockey i annoy everyone with mighty ducks quotes. GOLDBERG!!