All About Derek

by Meghann on January 23, 2010

Derek is my rock. Without his constant support I don’t know where I would be.

For every race I’ve ran in the last 12 months he has been there cheering me on at each and every finish line. He has risen before dawn, stood in the unbearable heat and cold, waited around for hours, took countless pictures, and overall has put up with my constant stress over time and directions. Basically he is amazing and I couldn’t imagine a better guy.

After a year of supporting my love for running a little of my passion was bound to rub off. Slowly but surely Derek has been making his own marks on the running scene and for the first time this morning our roles were reversed. Derek became the runner and I became the spectator.

The Season’s 52 5.2k was all about Derek and I was proud to watch as he ran the race of his life. Crossing the finish line minutes before I expected him!

5.2k finish time = 28:37

5k finish time = 27:36

Go Derek Go!

It was strange this morning to wake early for a race I knew I wasn’t going to run. I can’t recall having ever been a spectator for race before and I was excited for the role reversal.

My stomach is always growling as soon as I wake up and I knew breakfast wouldn’t be happening for another couple of hours, so I had a piece of toast with almond butter, pumpkin butter, ground flax seed, and raisins to hold me over until then.

We arrived at the race site about an hour before the start. Its always a great idea to get to the start early to avoid any problems with parking or packet pick up.

IMG_7182.JPG IMG_7183.JPG

Last year when I ran this race with Caitlin and Melissa (recap here) it was freezing! Today the temps were comfortable and just a touch on the cool side. Perfect running conditions.

What’s a race without a never ending line for the porta potty?

I wonder if anyone will be able to put two and two together in this photo? If anyone does I’ll give them a prize! πŸ˜‰

10 minutes before the gun went off all the runners started making their way to the corrals that were broken up by pace.

Derek squeezed in with the 9 minute milers. He had a goal and he was sticking with it!

I wish him luck, gave him a kiss and headed to where I hoped I could catch up just past the start line.

3…2…1…

they were off!!

I had my camera in the ready waiting for Derek to pass. I saw crowd after crowd fly by, but no Derek. I began to wonder if I had missed him until all of a sudden if he was in my line of sight.

I was so intent at taking a photo that I forgot to yell “Go Derek!” so he had no clue when he passed me.

I think concentrating on the race was his first priority. πŸ™‚

As soon as he passed I took off too. The plan was to cut through a side street to catch Derek just before the first mile.

Mission accomplished!

He sees me

Go Derek!!

Finding a runner in the crowd is way harder than it looks! Its like finding a needle in a haystack and I have new respect for every friend, family member, or Derek who have been able to spot me in any of my races.

See you in 2 more miles!

I knew I had 10 or 15 minutes to waste before I needed to be at the finish line, so I paid a little visit to the Florida Hospital booth to have my body fat measured.

To obtain my body fat percentage they pinched my arm, stomach and thigh with a calibrator thingy. I know its not the most accurate measurement, but its interesting to know.

The last time I had my body fat measured was at the celebration 10k over a year ago. Then my fat was measured at 23.2% and today the number came to 18.6%. Pretty interesting to see the 5% difference in a year.

The measurement took all of 5 minutes and I was able to make it to the start time to watch the first person cross the finish line.

Keep in mind the time is for a 5.2k distance which is about 3.2 miles as opposed to 3.1.

You know you’re a real runner when you spend 14 minutes watching person after person cross the finish line and never get bored. I think watching certain groups of people cross at certain times inspired me to strive faster for my next 5k. A 20 minute 5k time? If so and so can do, why can’t I?!? πŸ™‚

I was expecting Derek to cross just after 30 minutes, so you can imagine my surprise when I saw him heading towards the finish in the 29 minute range.

Can you spot him?

Crossing the finish line full of pride with a big grin on his face. YAY!!!!!

And he’s done. πŸ™‚

I was SCREAMING my head off!! I could not have been more proud. His goal was to pass the 5k mark below 30 minutes for his chip time and he managed to cross the 5.2 finish line before the 30 minute clock time!

I ran through the crowd and immediately jumped on him. He did great. No, he did awesome!!! He KILLED his previous PR times and I was there to watch it all!

Official time:

5k: 27:36

5.2k: 28:37

Derek ran his first 5k back in September with a finish time of 37:57 and in less than 6 months he was able to shave more than 10 minutes from his time! Its amazing what a difference a little hard work and practice will make.

I told you I was rubbing off on him. πŸ˜‰

After the big race we headed to my new favorite breakfast spot, Briar Patch, for a celebratory breakfast.

I ordered the usual: Blue Heaven Wheat and Fiber Pancakes

with a side of fruit

I knew from experience that the pancake stack is too much for one meal, so when I ordered the pancakes I also asked for a to go box and packed up half for home and ate the other half for breakfast.

\

The pancakes were AMAZING as always. I left stuffed and satisfied. πŸ™‚

We’re packing up and heading over to Tampa right now. I gave Derek tickets for a Tampa Bay Lightening game tonight. It will be my first hockey game ever and I have no idea what to expect. It should be fun though!

1 Nicci January 23, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Go Derek, great job in the race. He takes really good race pics too. lol

2 Lyss January 23, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Does your family business have to do with port-a-potty rentals? πŸ™‚ Do I win?

3 Tracey @ tropicalhappiness January 23, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Wow!!! Congrats to Derek!!!!! We haven’t had the chance to follow his *adventures* as much as we follow yours, but it’s great to hear it!!! And his PR 5k and 5.2k times are greattttttt! CONGRATS to him!

4 Tracey @ tropicalhappiness January 23, 2010 at 12:37 pm

PS- I put two and two together as soon as I saw it. Anderson portapotties = your fam!!!!! πŸ™‚ You’d think you’d get to cut the line!!! LOL!

5 Nicole January 23, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Yay!! Go Derek!! I love it when I rub off on people too! He is very lucky to have you as his cheering squad!

P.S. You’ve got a typo for Derek’s first 5K time. πŸ™‚

6 jentrinque January 23, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Someone already wrote it, but your parent’s rent toilets? Good line of work: people always need toilets!

7 biz319 January 23, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Way to kick ass Derek! Love the role reversal on this post! πŸ˜€

Enjoy the rest of your day!!

8 Holly S. January 23, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Ah that is great–portapotty rentals!

Congrats Derek! Have a fun rest of the weekend you guys πŸ™‚

9 Carol Tufts January 23, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Great post! You two are really adorable! My sister, Susan, has been her husband, Arthur’s “Derek” for 30 years. Arthur is a 56 year dentist from St. Petersburg, Florida who qualifies annually (not by lottery) for the big mama (IronMan) in Hawaii. Susan is a trooper and is as much of his success as he is. This sport is Arthur’s entire life, as he was a 13 time All-American at Northwestern while in dental school.

Anyhow, last year, Susan said, I will not be “Derek” this year. She spent the year renovating her older home, a project she put off for a very long time, because of the rigorous race schedule. What a year for mishaps for Arthur as he relearned what her support and actual work at the race means to him. Sadly he did not qualify πŸ™ for the Hawaii Ironman.

This year, the house looks beautiful. Sue and Art are back in the saddle together this year, so look for him to qualify in the Men’s 55yr old to 60yr old, I guess. His name is Arthur Halttunen.

I am forwarding a link to this great post which I am sure they both will enjoy.

Thanks for sharing. Come visit me at http://www.thebelist.com. I have only a couple of visitors so it will not be crowded! Sue has done teh graphic design for the site along with renovating her home and working fulltime at the St Pete Times. I want to give her a sister, shout out! Way to go , Sue, you help everyone around you be successful.

Be Better,

Carol

10 Jenna January 23, 2010 at 12:58 pm

hehe I totally got the port a potty thing as soon as I saw it πŸ˜›
Congrats to Derek!

11 M January 23, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Wow, he takes a great race picture!

12 Mara @ What's For Dinner? January 23, 2010 at 1:03 pm

GO DEREK!!!! Very cool πŸ™‚

13 Meg@ Be Fit Be Full January 23, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Yay for Derekl! He looks so cute in all of the photos πŸ™‚ I love that you have inspired him to run more.

14 Teachermama January 23, 2010 at 1:07 pm

You are such a great support! Both of you are. Thanks for Derek’s story!

15 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) January 23, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Aw congrats to Derek! That’s an awesome time! I bet it was so fun much cheering him on.

Growing up, I always watched my dad running marathons and you are right, it’s so hard to spot them in a crowd sometimes. I used to run to find him! haha.

(As for the portapotty picture….your last name? I think I remember seeing that from foodbuzz? I could be wrong though!)

16 Sarah January 23, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Is the sign your family’s business?
Great job Derek!
Sarah

17 Katie January 23, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Anderson’s your last name!

18 inmytummy January 23, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Go Derek!

Does your family own port-o-potties?

19 Kayla January 23, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Your family owns Porta Potties? nice πŸ™‚
Yay Derek! That’s awesome. It’s so cool that you’re rubbing off on him. And I love how proud you are of him, it totally made me tear up.

20 lindsayruns January 23, 2010 at 1:42 pm

like the fam business! Go Derek! That is awesome that his time is improving so much, better watch out, he’ll be smoking you here before you know it!

21 jenngirl January 23, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Your last name is Anderson, and that’s what the Port-o-potty says! πŸ˜‰

Go DEREK! That’s awesome, and I think it’s great that you two are happy to support and encourage each other. Looks like your running ways definitely rubbed off on him!

22 Carolyn January 23, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Anderson port-o-potty? Is that a family business?

23 megzzwinsatlife January 23, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Family business??? perhaps?? hehe

24 foodfitnessandfreya January 23, 2010 at 1:54 pm

awh congrats to Derek, what an achievement, no wonder you’re so proud!! Great race re-cap πŸ™‚
And those pancakes look so fluffy and delicious….I want some!
Have a good day!

25 Molly January 23, 2010 at 1:56 pm

ah Hockey games are awesome! You’ll have a blast, especially if there are fights πŸ˜‰

Congrats to Derek! Thats awesome! He looks so happy and healthy! WAY TO GO!
Have a good rest of your weekend with your man!

xo- Molly

p.s. at first I thought putting two and two together was from the first pic of the line…that lady in the pink (who is exiting when Derek is entering) was WAY up there in line. I thought you were making fun of her because she took so long lol
yeah…I’m blonde lol I’ll live up to it when I have to.

but I get it now “Andersen” is the portapotty company haha

26 Alison January 23, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Congratulations Derek!! You two make a great team.
Being the spectator/cheerleader is a nice change of pace, but it is definitely hard to watch for you runner, cheer and take a picture all at the same time.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

27 Sarah R January 23, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Yeah for Derek!!

Anderson rentals huh?

28 Courtney January 23, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Wow- your family owns a Porta-Potty rental company? I hope you make sure that ALL races order enough!! And congrats to Derek!!! Plus, your pancakes look ah-mazing. =D

29 Lauren @ Reading and Running January 23, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Congrats to Derek! Soon you guys will be running marathons together!

30 greensandjeans January 23, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I’m also wondering why you don’t get to cut in line when your name is on the side! Congrats to Derek! Some times it’s nice to be the one holding the car keys!

31 Sana January 23, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Family business? LOL!

Gooo Derek!!!! He looked like he had sooo much fun!

32 jenna January 23, 2010 at 2:26 pm

way to go derek!

33 Tay January 23, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Awww congrats to Derek!!!

34 BridgetP January 23, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Congrats Derek! You guys are such a cute couple πŸ™‚

35 Julia January 23, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Congrats Derek! Great time!

36 tryingtoheal January 23, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Derek! You did an awesome job!!! I can’t wait until I get to see you and Megs again! Hopefully before Gasparilla!

37 Heather @ Side of Sneakers January 23, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Great job Derek!!! And what a great recovery breakfast πŸ™‚

38 Marissa January 23, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Go Derek!

I love the photo where he is smiling at you πŸ™‚ you can see in his face how much it means to him to have you there!

39 kirsten January 23, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Yay go Derek! What a cute post Meghann, I can tell what a supportive and great couple you and Derek are!! Someone has probably already guessed this but is Anderson rentals your family’s company?

40 Chloe January 23, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Go Derek! I remember reading about his first 5k and how he wasn’t too sure about running and now he’s a total pro. It’s amazing what the human body can do when you set a goal, isn’t it? How fun!

41 theprocessofhealing January 23, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Yay for Derek! That is such an amazing accomplishment, so great that he has improved so much!!! And this post was so sweet πŸ™‚ You’re a lucky woman to have a man like that! And he’s very lucky as well πŸ˜‰

42 Heather January 23, 2010 at 3:11 pm

A big congrats to Derek! That is amazing that he shaved 10 minutes off his first 5k race in only 6 months – you are such a positive influence on him.

That breakfast looks amazing. Have fun at the game tonight!

43 Sammi January 23, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Congrats Derek! That’s awesome!
I was thinking the exact same thing as I stood near the finish line of the disney marathon for like 2 hours watching people pass by without getting bored! It’s definitely a runner thing πŸ˜‰
I can’t wait to hear about the game! I was just talking to my boyfriend yesterday about how I’d really like to go to a hockey game sometime.

44 Bridget January 23, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Anderson Rentals!? Is that the same Andersons as you?? YAY DEREK!!! Thats so awesome!! I hope I can break 30 min this year πŸ™‚ What a super supportive girlfriend you are πŸ™‚

45 Erika January 23, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Way to go Derek! That is awesome!!! Way to go!!!!

46 Jennie January 23, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Meghann, I’ve been a huge fan of your blog for so long but I never knew that your family was in the porta-potty business. How perfect for a family with two daughters who run!

47 Anna January 23, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Congrats!!! I remember the first 5K my hub ran, I was so proud of him!!

48 Erin January 23, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Awesome job! I can’t do a 5K that fast yet…

49 Laura Georgina January 23, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Wow, what a race! Such an improvement over a short period of time–no wonder he finished with such a grin on his face! I hope you both enjoy the hockey tonight.

50 Niki @ Niki's Neverending Adventure January 23, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Congrats to Derek!! Great job!!

51 caitlin January 23, 2010 at 3:57 pm

YAY ANDERSON TOILETS!

52 carolinebee January 23, 2010 at 4:08 pm

MEghannnn you never told us you were heir to a portapotty fortuneee!!!!

53 carolinebee January 23, 2010 at 4:09 pm

PS congrats Derek u killed it!

54 tiffnie January 23, 2010 at 4:11 pm

You two are so cute! I think it’s wonderful when couples can share the same passions. Congrats to Derek!

Congrats also on lowering your body fat percentage by 5%! Things like body fat %, rest and recovery pulse rates, and even blood pressure should be focused on more than weight and BMI, especially in women. We tend to get so fixated on a number that may not even necessarily be a good index of our health and fitness. My mom, for instance, is pretty tiny, with a BMI of 20.2 (which for her age is classified as underweight). Her body fat %, however, is an alarming 36.6!

Anyway, congrats again to Derek!

55 Emily January 23, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Great job Derek! As a new runner I’m working on shaving down my 5K time. Did he have any particular techniques – just more running or did he do actual speed work?

56 Brandi January 23, 2010 at 4:14 pm

congrats to Derek!!! that’s so exciting πŸ™‚

love the porta-potty shot πŸ™‚ is that your family? or just the same name?

57 valerie January 23, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Very sweet/cute post! YAY congrats to Derek! It seems like you two have an awesome support system. I hope you guys have a great time tonight at the game.

58 catms916 January 23, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Congrats to Derek!! I get so excited when I rub off on my guy and see him happily eating his veggies or willingly going for a run with me. πŸ™‚

59 learningtocookeatandenjoydeliciousfood January 23, 2010 at 4:21 pm

I think that Derek did great on the run and I am sure that he was VERY proud of himself!! πŸ˜‰
Does your family own a porta potty company??

60 Sweet and Fit January 23, 2010 at 4:22 pm

congrats derek! I love how you are turning him into a running machine! he’ll be running a half marathon in no time =)

61 Ashley January 23, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Is your family’s business a Porta Potty delivery service? :):) That’s stinkin cool!

Congrats to Derek! Just imagine how excited you’ll be when he finishes his first half. I am looking forward to meeting you up in NYC! Get ready for the hills of Central Park!

62 caronae January 23, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Congrats Derek! Sounds like ana wesome race. The prta-potties seem to say Anderson on them, so maybe you guys own them?

63 eaternotarunner January 23, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Congrats derek!!

64 Running on Faith January 23, 2010 at 4:52 pm

That is SO freakin’ awesome!!! Congrats to Derek. It is pretty cool to be a spectator sometimes πŸ™‚ I am linking you on my blog because I FINALLY made one! YAY.

65 Whit January 23, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Congrats to Derek! And I totally made the porta potty connection. πŸ˜‰

66 Jamie January 23, 2010 at 4:58 pm

I just telling my roommates about you and Derek and his running story. I think its adorable how he got so into running after seeing you go through it all the time. I want a boy who will do those things with me! It is so cuute!!

67 Gracie January 23, 2010 at 5:05 pm

CONGRATS DEREK!!!
The picture where he first sees you is so adorable =)

68 Amy January 23, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Woohoo! Great run Derek!

69 Marla January 23, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Wow Derek-tell him we’re all impressed.
Plus your man is very handsome-what a cute couple πŸ˜‰
Will you tell us the story of how you met and when romance blossomed?(love romancee tales!!!!)

70 marie January 23, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Raaaahhhhh, Derek!!! Way to go!!!

71 Evan Thomas January 23, 2010 at 5:31 pm

I saw this on Twitter earlier! Go Derek!

72 allisonisactive January 23, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Go Derek! Awesome job.

P.S. – Is that a Bondi Band in your hair? I bought a few last week and am still figuring out how to wear them! I saw your review a while back and need to go look again at how you’re wearing it.

73 Nekeisha January 23, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Meghann Anderson – Anderson Rentals.

Congrats to Derek You set a goal and you met/beat it.

74 traynharder23 January 23, 2010 at 5:46 pm

anderson= your last name on the porta pottys.=D

75 madisonruns January 23, 2010 at 5:50 pm

Great post! Congrats to Derek!

76 Rachel January 23, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Aww, congrats to Derek!

77 lisampls January 23, 2010 at 5:56 pm

it’s totally your LAST name!!!

78 Lacey January 23, 2010 at 6:13 pm

CONGRATULATIONS DEREK! It’s so sweet how you guys support each other, and push each other to reach new goals- the definition of a GREAT relationship πŸ™‚

79 Karla January 23, 2010 at 6:54 pm

That’s amazing! Congrats to Derek! You’re definitely a good influence πŸ™‚

80 Katie January 23, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Way to go, Derek! I love how supportive you guys are of each other.

81 Rachel A January 23, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Sounds like everybody beat me to my guess about your family business. Hope you have fun at the game. My hubby and I love hockey and go to games as much as possible.

82 Danielle January 23, 2010 at 7:37 pm

GO DEREK! How exciting that he was able to break his time goal! I also remember hearing about his first 5k and he’s come such a long way and should be so proud of himself!

83 Alyssa January 23, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Congrats Derek!!! You guys make quite the team πŸ™‚

84 Christy January 23, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Wow very impressive story! Tell him good job! πŸ™‚ It’s incredible how much he’s improved… the body is an amazing machine!

85 lily @ Lily's Health Pad January 23, 2010 at 8:58 pm

Whoo hooo Derek!!!

I hope you have fun at the hockey game. hockey is my favortite sport to watch!!

86 adrienmelaine January 23, 2010 at 9:12 pm

You are the BEST girlfriend in the world! I love how well you documented every minute of it!

I’ve got my first marathon with my man coming up in May– looking forward to being able to share the experience with a new love!

87 K January 23, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Congrats to Derek!

Meghann, I just want you to be aware that before your body fat percentage was healthy for your age, but now you are in the UNDERWEIGHT category. Please take alarm to this!!

88 M January 23, 2010 at 11:52 pm

Meghann said that her doctors gave her a clean bill of health. They know about her weight loss and not concerned, so I guess we shouldn’t be overly concerned. (Although, Meghann, if you lose another five pounds, I reserve the right to get worried!)

She looked good before, looks amazing now, so as long as she’s healthy and happy, that’s all that matters. I don’t think she needs to gain the weight back.

89 M January 23, 2010 at 11:53 pm

“and *are* not concerned”

90 TorontoGirloutWest January 23, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Derek did AWESOME!!!! I’m so beyond impressed!!!

Oh and I put two and two together! ?

91 *Andrea* January 23, 2010 at 11:10 pm

congrats to derek!!!!!!!! you two are such a cute couple. i love your support for each other and how far you’ve both come in health and fitness! so motivating for me!

92 Madeline January 23, 2010 at 11:34 pm

Those are such great photos! He looks so happy to be running, and very photogenic. It’s awesome that you’re both so supportive of one another!

93 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) January 24, 2010 at 12:10 am

Go DEREK! That is awesome! It sounds like he is a wonderful guy and so fun to spend time with.

94 dorothy January 24, 2010 at 12:51 am

i loved this post πŸ™‚ i know everyone else has said it already, but i can’t help it.. GO DEREK!! you guys are so cute πŸ˜›

95 tramey1 January 24, 2010 at 12:54 am

I think Derek needs to become a BLOG BOY with me, Meghann. C’mon Derek….I need some male companions in the field. πŸ˜‰ Congrats on the 5K, shaving that time off is AWESOME!

96 Jasmine @ Eat Move Write January 24, 2010 at 1:58 am

Congrats Derek!!!!!

Love the pancakes.

97 Shannon January 24, 2010 at 9:50 am

Congrats to Derek! So nice that you can share running as a hobby now!

98 Katy January 24, 2010 at 10:05 am

Lucas and I are so proud of Derek — we remember the Rock ‘n’ Run 5K last year, when Derek was so miserable after finishing. He is such an inspiration, and I am so proud of YOU for helping him get healthy!