My Cereal Story

by Meghann on January 22, 2010

It is officially Friday morning and I am officially 7 hours away from the weekend. What could make for the better start of the day?

Even the rain, nasty weather, and tornado warnings won’t get me down this morning. A little rain or tornado threat doesn’t scare me. ;)

Of course they did put a little damper on my running plans this morning. I had planned on an easy 2 miles followed by a 30 minute yoga session, but that got scratched as soon as I let Maddie outside. Instead I took advantage of the bad weather and headed to my apartment gym for an easy walk on the treadmill while reading my latest book: The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks.

My 30 minute walk was followed by a 10 minute session of Yoga for Runners by Miss Polly.

I was out of yogurt this morning, so breakfast was a throwback to before yogurt came into my life.

Applesauce Cereal

IMG_7066

For those of you who are new to the blog you may not know that I am not a fan of milk. It must be the texture because I am also not a fan of almond milk, rice milk, soy milk, coconut water, or anything that resembles that milky texture. When I drink it I picture it curdling in my stomach. Yuck!

I ate cereal dry from a bowl for the first 22 years of my life. I loved it that way and never had any complaints. Then one day I discovered how great applesauce was when mixed with my morning cereal. I was in love.

IMG_7071

I was also never a huge fan of yogurt before either. Turns out I just wasn’t a fan of fake sugared up yogurt. In reality I actually LOVE organic Stonyfield yogurt or rich and creamy greek yogurt.

Chobani sent me free samples of their yogurt right after I started this blog and one day I decided to add some to my cereal mix in the morning. There was no turning back after that. I was in love again. Cereal + Yogurt has been my favorite breakfast/ snack combination ever since!

IMG_7074

So there you have. My cereal background. 🙂

Yogurt has become a staple in my cereal every morning, but every once in a while its fun to bring apple sauce back into the mix. Try it. You might like it. 🙂

This morning my bowl contained.

• 1/2 cup Apple Sauce
  • 1/2 cup Kashi Warm Cinnamon H2H
  • 1/2 cup Shredded Wheat
  • 1/4 cup Homemade Granola
  • 1 Pear

All it was missing was a big scoop of nut butter. 🙂

IMG_7076

Do you have a cereal history? How about a history with another food that has involved over time?

1 Jessica January 22, 2010 at 9:59 am

I also hate miilk but I have learn to tolerate it…I LOVE cereal so I put as little milk as possible in order to “wet” the cereal enough to make it not so hard….when I finish there is not any milk at the bottom of the bowl because the cereal has soaked it all up.

Nicholas Sparks by far the BEST author EVER….I have all of his books and have read them all many many times….you are going to love that one…it has a good ending…

2 Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) January 22, 2010 at 10:01 am

I used to hate oatmeal! I’d try to microwave it with just milk and it always came out weird. The thought of warm milk grossed me out too, ha ha.

Now I eat it almost every day, once I discovered how to make it and all the endless combinations of toppings!

3 megan January 22, 2010 at 10:15 am

I love milk. I drink it plain, in tea, with cereal, with popcorn. I love it. Granola and milk is probably my favorite cereal. or cinnamon toast crunch. or cracklin’ oat bran. that stuff is so good!

4 Amy January 22, 2010 at 10:23 am

I also hate milk in my cereal! I was eating a huge bowl of dry cereal every morning… and then started having it for dinner as well. Until I realized my obsession with cereal with spiraling out of control…

Now I do oatmeal every morning… with some cereal mixed in. Probably a healthier and less expensive habit…

5 Mara @ What's For Dinner? January 22, 2010 at 10:29 am

I love milk in my cereal, but I absolutely ADORE cinnamon and applesauce in my oatmeal! You have to try it!!

6 Derek January 22, 2010 at 10:30 am

my all time favorite cereal is almond delight…..but someone decided to discontinue it. I’ve never recovered.

7 RunToTheFinish January 22, 2010 at 10:30 am

I love cereal in all forms. I don’t discriminate between dry or wet…it all makes me happy

8 foodfitnessandfreya January 22, 2010 at 10:37 am

Ah my cereal story so similar! I had dry cereal until about 2months ago, when I discovered yogurt went well with it! I also hate milk, until I discoverd vanilla flavour soya milk…I’m now progressing to cereal with yogurt AND milk, I WILL LIKE CEREAL AND MILK ONE DAY! But never cow’s milk, I really really hate that stuff 🙁
It’s nice to find fellow dry cereal lovers, we are few and far between!! Have a great day 🙂

9 skinnyrunner January 22, 2010 at 10:37 am

haha, love the cereal background.
i like cereal but it never seems to keep me as full as other foods…. maybe its just in my head.

10 Jenna January 22, 2010 at 10:39 am

I can’t stand oatmeal but I love yogurt in the morning! I have Greek yogurt every morning for breakfast mixed with cereal banana and nut butters:) mmmm

11 Alison January 22, 2010 at 10:48 am

Another dry cereal girl! I started eating my cereal dry when I was 3. I’ve never liked milk but always was made to drink it as a kid. I had firm rules on when milk tasted tolerable – only after eating a bit of meat, pasta, bread, or rice. Milk tastes awful after eating fruit, vegetables, or anything sweet. So no milk and cookies for me. Recently I gave up drinking it completely – I figure I’m old enough to make my own decision finally :-). Plus I take a calcium supplement.

I wanted to ask you…I think I remember you saying that you gained a few pounds while training for your last marathon or big run. Did that happen again this time?

12 Madeline January 22, 2010 at 10:48 am

Hi Meghann! I’ve been reading your blog for a while and thought I would jump in with a comment 🙂 I think it’s really interesting that you don’t like milk; I used to cringe when I would think about drinking a big glass of it, but I can’t stand having anything else in my coffee.
In terms of food habits, I usually get addicted to something really quickly, and then turned off to it after eating it too much. Also, if I’ve had a bad experience with that food, it’s not happening again. Peach flavored yogurt, Macintosh apples, and baby carrots have all been eliminated this way. It’s sad, but I work around it haha. I also tried using an apple in my hot cereal, cooked in, last week because you did it on your blog and it was AMAZING! And I’m making your acorn squash lasagna this weekend, yummmm. Keep the tips and recipes coming!

13 Morgan @ Life After Bagels January 22, 2010 at 10:51 am

You know what, I’ve been reading your blog for a bit and I totally didn’t know that . . . so opposite of me I love milk, have to ration it, can’t get enough 🙂

14 eaternotarunner January 22, 2010 at 10:52 am

Cereal has been my favorite breakfast since I was little, I sometimes will switch to oatmeal, but nothing beats delicious cereal 🙂

15 Karla January 22, 2010 at 11:15 am

I only like milk in cereal and coffee. However, I’m lactose intolerant so I either have to buy lactaid or something else. Lately I’ve been enjoying almond milk in my coffee.

Honestly though, cereal is a trigger food for me. I love it but I had to stop buying it. I can’t just have one serving, I have to eat a ton of it (I’m known to consume almost an entire box in one day). Maybe someday cereal and I will reconcile but as of now… we’re broken up 🙁

16 Heather (Heather's Dish) January 22, 2010 at 11:35 am

i’m not a huge cereal fan…i’ve just recently started appreciating oatmeal for the first time! i just am not the biggest fan if it gets the least bit soggy, but i don’t like it dry and so……i just don’t eat it!

17 fromatopink January 22, 2010 at 11:40 am

I ate my cereal dry for a long time, too. Then in college I started using milk, and now sometimes almond milk. (However, I don’t like DRINKING milk, just using it in cereal.) And I still enjoy the occasional dry cereal for a snack. 🙂

18 Erin January 22, 2010 at 11:48 am

I used to love cereal and milk but now, can’t imagine it without yogurt. Yum! I broke away from oats this morning just for a big bowl of Kashi Go Lean. 😀

19 Bridget January 22, 2010 at 11:59 am

Oh yes how my love of cereal has evolved! I never had a problem with milk when I was younger but just didnt really drink it much, and NEVER had it on my cereal because there was nothing worse than soggy cinnamon toast crunch haha! Yeah I would have my mom buy me a box of something (def. not a healthy cereal…cin. toast crunch, apple jax…etc) and I’d never finish it. Now I LOVE cereal, but only healthy ones…nothing too sweet…although once Brian boughta box of cascadian farms version of cin. toast crunch…oh man. OH and I now only eat cereal medleys…I always mix at least 2 types 🙂
Ok that;s my cereal story…and I love with with ice cold skim milk…refreshing 🙂

20 Matt January 22, 2010 at 12:14 pm

I like milk, but I never eat it with my cereal. I usually have my cereal with yogurt and cottage cheese. I do make my oatmeal with milk though!

21 Sarah January 22, 2010 at 12:22 pm

I love the idea of applesauce cereal. So smart! Do you use a tinner applesauce to mimic a liquid more?

I’ve always loved cereal but it has never filled me up, even as a kid. My love affair with oatmeal began in elementary school, when my mom would make bowls of it for us. I don’t like milk either- don’t like the taste of the stuff. I use vanilla soy milk, which I don’t drink either but it’s yummy on top of that bowl of oats 🙂 Have a great Friday Meghann!

22 Katie January 22, 2010 at 12:27 pm

I just finished reading the Lucky One!! SO good, I couldn’t put it down! I finished it in one weekend! I recommend The Last Song next 🙂

23 Rosalie January 22, 2010 at 12:34 pm

AH! I’m glad I’m not the only one who grew up eating dry cereal. I hate milk, and my parents are also not big fans of it except in coffee so they never made me drink it. When I was little I think I had dry cereal sometimes, or poptarts, instant oatmeal, PB toast, or often nothing for breakfast. But in the last 5 years or so that I’ve been more conscientious about my food (because of becoming an on/off vegan) I’ve eaten Kashi Go-Lean Crunch almost every day. I went from eating it dry, to eating it with berries (fresh or defrosted frozen ones), to eating it with soy yogurt (inspired by you and other bloggers!), and now back to the berries. All the kinds of soy yogurt that I’ve tried are super sugary, but now after 5 years of mostly-vegan living I’ve discovered I’m really lactose-intolerant, and probably always was.

Yogurt makers — make low-sugar soy yogurt, please!!

24 goodtastehealthyme January 22, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I love cereal! When I was younger I used to eat all the bad ones, ie Peanut Butter Crunch, Frosted Cheerios…etc. Now I try to be a little better but I still love me some Honey Bunches of Oats. Mmmm!

25 Lisa January 22, 2010 at 12:55 pm

I’ve never eaten my cereal with milk and everyone thinks I’m crazy…I’m glad I’m not the only one! My cereal story is pretty much the same…I thought I hated yogurt until last year (mostly because my mom only bought the fake fruit blueberry kind my brother liked) and now I eat it every day. I also now usually add peanut butter and canned pumpkin to it…so yummy!

26 Macrae January 22, 2010 at 12:56 pm

When I was little I always put OJ on my cereal, mostly muslei or cheerios. Then it evolved to cereal on fresh fruit. (I don’t really like soggy cereal anyway). This may sound strange, but if you have a thick cereal like granola, you can even add a little water and the water soaks up the flavors and becomes really yummy!!

So, haha I guess milk isn’t my favorate but I do love ice cream…gotta get the calcium some how 🙂

27 adrienmelaine January 22, 2010 at 1:04 pm

I’m currently making history with oatmeal right now. I made it my goal this past month to have oats for brekkie 4 times a week (they’re good for you, nice whole food) because I found myself getting hungry before lunch..

Oats used to make me gag, but thanks to blogs, they now make me swoon.. what it takes to impress me!

*side note, cereal is like crack to me, I had an intervention and switched to oatmeal, it was hard, but I got through

28 Tammy Eros January 22, 2010 at 1:21 pm

It used to be my favorite breakfast as a kid. Since I became lactose intolerant, I have loved eating dry cereal, by itself or on yogurt or cottage cheese!

29 allisonisactive January 22, 2010 at 1:59 pm

I’m the same as you – can’t stand milk! I never ate cereal until I started eating yogurt in college. (The cook at my sorority house always bought Yoplait yogurt for the fridge.) Now I eat Quaker Oatmeal Squares and Kashi GoLean Crunch with yogurt on a regular basis.

30 theprocessofhealing January 22, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I’ve never had applesauce in cereal before (must try) but I can demolish some yogurt + cereal… it’s one of my favorite things to eat.

I’m not a fan of drinking milk but I like it in oatmeal, cereal, etc. Drinking it… not so much.

Yuck about the tornadoes and weather!! You’re a stronger person than I am, tornadoes are my worst fear!

31 Carol Tufts January 22, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Great post. I also avoid milk in any form and will try the applesauce. I also tried your homemade granola and it was delicious. I am following you on Twitter for more great ideas. Hope you visit me at http://www.thebelist.com or on Twitter at thebelist.

Carol
carol@thebelist.com

32 tramey1 January 22, 2010 at 6:36 pm

My cereal love is extremely deep!! haha I like it classic with milk and a sliced banana, or with a nice cut up apple/pear and smothered in nut butter and greek yogurt. SO good. The possibilities are endless! Also I love combining 2, 3, or 4 kinds of cereal! Mix it up a little!

33 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad January 22, 2010 at 7:29 pm

I used to eat the lowest calorie cereal possible. Stuff like Special K Red Berries (which I’m not knocking because it is GOOD), but now I look for heartier and more wholesome cereals.

34 Christy January 22, 2010 at 11:55 pm

I know lots of people who don’t really like the taste/mouth-feel of milk. I was that way with eggs. I used to HATE them but now my tastes have changed and they aren’t too bad anymore!! 🙂

35 Lorin January 23, 2010 at 3:45 am

During my first years of high school I literally had a PB&J every day for lunch. I never get sick of it! When I go off to college next year that will definately be my food staple if I start running out of money. In general though I just love peanut butter. I know it’s healthy for you in moderate amounts but I probably eat a little too much of it; but then again some days I eat a lot of it and some days I eat none, so maybe it balances it out?