No Holiday Here

by Meghann on January 18, 2010

Happy Monday!

It’s back to the daily grind for me today. Unfortunately I am not one of those lucky few who are granted Martin Luther King Day as a holiday. Boooo… I really need to look into working for the government so that I get all the cool holidays off.

Instead I shall be at my desk workin’ hard for the money. 😉

I passed out well before 9:00 pm last night. I got in bed around 8:15 to read my book and didn’t even read a whole chapter before my eyelids felt like they had lead on them.

Luckily early to bed, meant I had no problem jumping out of bed at 5:30 this morning. I got dressed and did Jillian Michaels’ Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism work out. It was an hour work out that me jumping, kicking, and waking my body up. By the end I was a sweaty beast in need of a good shower and breakfast.

IMG_6666

• 2/3 cup Quaker Oatmeal Squares
  • 1/3 cup Kashi Honey Sunshine
  • 1/3 cup Homemade Granola
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Kiwi
  • Peanut Butter

IMG_6664

Check out that close up of nutty homemade granola yumminess. 🙂

IMG_6667

I don’t know why I don’t make homemade granola more often. It’s tasty and easy to make. I just need to set aside the 20 minutes or so to make it each time I run out.

My Tattoo…

I’ve mentioned my snowflake tattoo on here before, but I figured since so many were asking about it on Saturday that I would bring it up again. 🙂

IMG_6670

The idea for the snowflake tattoo dates back to when I was 16 or 17. I was/am obsessed with snowflakes and just think they are the most beautiful thing. I love how no two are alike – just like people – and since we don’t get snow in Florida they have always been this magical, mystical  symbol to me.

I finally got the snowflake tattoo on my 19th birthday and no, it didn’t hurt. I was actually in such a rush to get it done that I was more worried about the clock then the needle going in and out of my skin.

I LOVE it and wouldn’t change a thing about it.

Do you have a tattoo? If not what would you get a tattoo of and why?

1 tryingtoheal January 18, 2010 at 9:50 am

I want my hummingbird and family crest tattoos! i’m just too chicken to get them!

2 megan January 18, 2010 at 10:04 am

I don’t think I would ever get a tattoo. I’m scared of the pain, and for some reason I’ve just never wanted one. yours is really pretty though

3 foodfitnessandfreya January 18, 2010 at 10:06 am

LOVE LOVE your breakfast! A big combo of cereals is like, the perfect start 🙂
Your tattoo is pretty! I’m way too scared to get one :s but I like what Nicole Richie had, like a little anklet or something, that’s way cute 🙂

4 Emily January 18, 2010 at 10:08 am

I have a star tattoo on my hip (I got it when I was 17) that I feel the same way about. And if I actually get to run in the Disney Princess Half Marathon this year I’m planning on getting a bow on my back afterwards.

5 beckm82 January 18, 2010 at 10:09 am

I love your tattoo and the meaning behind it – even though I live in PA and hate the snow!!

I don’t have any tattoos yet, but I’ve had a plan for a few years to get a star on my foot. I will hopefully be getting it in the next year…it’s a symbol of success for me and I am waiting for that opportunity where I have the success that I’m working toward.

(I also looked at the link back to where you talked about your tat before…and now I really want to make the BBQ chickpea sandwich that you made that day! 🙂 )

6 jenngirl January 18, 2010 at 10:17 am

I really like your snowflake tatoo! And that’s a great place to have one I think.

I don’t have a tattoo, and I’m so indecisive, I don’t know if I could choose one thing to get! I might get a French word put somewhere small, because I love speaking French.

7 Casey January 18, 2010 at 10:17 am

I don’t have a tattoo…but I keep going back and forth about it. My twin sister and I keep talking about getting matching ones, which would be pretty cool! 🙂

8 inmytummy January 18, 2010 at 10:19 am

Nope, no tattoos. There just isn’t anything that I find meaningful enough to put on my body forever. I like them, but I just can’t think of anything that I would get.

I don’t have today off either. Boo.

9 jojo January 18, 2010 at 10:22 am

I don’t have a tattoo, but I talk all the time about wanting one of a yin-yang symbol to remind me to stay balanced in my life. I’ve posted a blog about it as well.

10 Meredith January 18, 2010 at 10:27 am

I have a tattoo on my foot as well! its a bit higher up on my foot, like almost right on top and in the middle. I thought it hurt, though! (not excruciating, but painful and uncomfortable!) it is a peace sign and around the bottom the initials of my father. I got it in his memory when he passed away nov. 2008. I love the idea of yours, too!

11 lindsayruns January 18, 2010 at 10:30 am

I want one on my right shoulder blade, but I haven’t decided what I want, and won’t do it unless it really has meaning. Side note, you should do another reader map…noticed that on the last mention of the tatoo.

12 caronae January 18, 2010 at 10:33 am

That’s so cool that your tattoo is symbolic! I don’t have one, but who knows what the future may hold!

13 K January 18, 2010 at 10:38 am

I noticed in your last post that you used to eat a lot better. That is also when I enjoyed your blog a lot more. Have you noticed how you have cut back a lot??

14 Jocelyn January 18, 2010 at 10:44 am

Your tattoo is pretty 🙂 I don’t have a tattoo and don’t plan on getting one either. I’ll just admire other peoples lol

15 Ashley January 18, 2010 at 10:57 am

I work for the government, so I’m not allowed to work today…on one hand, it’s great to have a three day weekend, but I also have to squish all of the work I was supposed to do in five days into four (or three, in my case!). It’s gonna be super-busy at work this week!

I don’t have a tattoo…have thought about it, but I don’t like the idea of putting something on my body that I can’t take off. I’m too fickle…

16 Matt January 18, 2010 at 11:03 am

No tatoo here! I am a pansy!

17 RhodeyGirlTests January 18, 2010 at 11:04 am

Boc boc boc! I am still too chicken to get the tattoo I have wanted since the day my mom passed away. Stars always had special meaning between us (ladybugs too actually) and so I have always wanted a teeny tiny star on the inside of my right wrist. Maybe as large as my pinky nail- I am talking SMALL. I am just too chicken!

18 Anna January 18, 2010 at 11:16 am

Eek! I’ve always thought that getting a tat on my foot would hurt terribly! My tattoo is on my most padded place– my rear end! Really it’s my lower back…but it might as well be my bottom 🙂

Have a great Monday, even though you don’t get a holiday!

19 RunToTheFinish January 18, 2010 at 11:17 am

yes to blahh work day! I don’t have a tat, but have been realllly thinking about it…a running one!

20 lauren January 18, 2010 at 11:19 am

I’m stuck at work too, blah.
I love the meaning behind your snowflake tattoo! I have a few tattoos… I have two “stick n poke” tattoos that I really don’t recommend for anyone. One’s a bicycle and the other are line dashes underneath one side of my boob. Then I have a best friend related tattoo on my ribcage, and on my arm I have two cats, which represent my two cat, love this tattoo!

21 Amanda P January 18, 2010 at 11:20 am

a 5:30 Jillian workout?? You’re nuts! 🙂 I have a little dove on my ankle and a skeleton key on my shoulder, I agree I didn’t think they hurt but they also weren’t for very long! I’d love a few more on my arms someday! Happy Monday!

22 Evan Thomas January 18, 2010 at 11:21 am

That workout sounds great; I definitely need to check out what Jillian has to say

23 Steph January 18, 2010 at 11:22 am

Ugh work for me too! 🙁

i love your tat!

I have three and all have special meaning to me as well. I actually have a large back piece thats in the works right now and that one is very special. It will be a tribute piece to my dad who is battling pancreatic cancer.

I love tattoos and more so the tattoos that have very personal or special meanings.

24 Karla January 18, 2010 at 11:22 am

Honestly, I don’t really understand the point of tattoos. I understand that they have a certain meaning for people (both my siblings have tattoos they really like) but I just don’t really get why it has to be permanently on your body.

Yours is very lovely though!

25 Katie O. @ Fit to Wed January 18, 2010 at 11:23 am

I can’t believe your tattoo didn’t hurt! My best friend and I got matching ones when we were 18- a purple daisy with a heart in the center that we designed. It’s just under my right hip line so it generally doesn’t show, even when I’m wearing a bathing suit. If I could do it all over again, I wouldn’t have gotten it. It hurt SO badly (I almost passed out halfway though- they had to give me a cookie!) and it was too spur of the moment. Your tattoo is beautiful!

26 eaternotarunner January 18, 2010 at 11:24 am

I wouldn’t get a tattoo, I couldn’t commit to anything for the rest of my life!

27 Veronica January 18, 2010 at 11:26 am

your tattoo is cute! I want a memorial one, but I am scared of the pain, LOL

28 skinnyrunner January 18, 2010 at 11:26 am

i have one that i got years ago and probably if given the choice, wouldnt get it again. but i have another that i love… guess it all depends.

29 Graze With Me January 18, 2010 at 11:27 am

Yes I have 4 tattoos – I love them all & would love to get more but my husband doesn’t like that idea…..we’ll see! I’m pretty comfortable with needles so I know what you mean when you say it doesn’t hurt. I think it just feels really hot and scratchy….

30 carlysharec January 18, 2010 at 11:29 am

I love your tattoo! On one hand, I’ve always wanted one. On the other hand, I don’t think I will want one in 10 years. I’ve been waffling back and forth between getting one for years!

31 Christy January 18, 2010 at 11:30 am

Yea, I have a tattoo! It’s a colorful starfish with a seashell on my ribs — I’m a Florida girl forever & always 🙂

32 Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen January 18, 2010 at 11:33 am

i love your tattoo! so cool that you have a reason behind it too! my eyeliner is tattooed on…does that count?

i’ve always wanted to get one on my foot there 🙂

33 Nikky January 18, 2010 at 11:34 am

I love your tattoo, and I love the meaning behind it. I could never get a tattoo that I didn’t think long and hard about, that had some meaning for me. I have a few friends that did the lower-back on a whim cause it was pretty thing, I’m not that brave.

I have an eighth note on the inside of my wrist, a little one, that my best friend and I got together on our (shared) 18th birthday. We’re both huge music theater people. I also plan on getting “May angels lead you in” in honor of my grandparents and brother somewhere. I haven’t planned out where or how or anything yet. Lots of planning has to go in to it.

I didn’t think it hurt too much either, but growing up my Uncle had a tattoo studio, and my mom has a whole bunch, so maybe because I knew exactly what to expect. It was more annoying than anything. Like, “If this guy doesn’t stop, I’m going to pop him in the nose.”

34 DiningAndDishing January 18, 2010 at 11:36 am

No holiday for me either :(. Very jealous of government workers today!!

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

35 weightwatchersforone January 18, 2010 at 11:41 am

I need to make my own granola one of these days since it’s so expensive to buy it by box!

I love the idea of the snowflake tat! I have one on my foot too… it’s of three stars.. I also have one on my ankle and I would eventually like to get another possibly on my shoulder.

36 Danielle January 18, 2010 at 11:49 am

No tattoos for me – I’m afraid of the needle!

In college a group of us went with a friend to get her tongue pierced. When they brought out the needle to numb her tongue for the piercing she totally freaked out because it was so big – never mind that she was about to have an even bigger piece of metal in her tongue semi-permanently . We all got a good laugh at that one!

37 Mara @ What's For Dinner? January 18, 2010 at 11:53 am

No tattoos yet… I’m the only one in my family without one! I do have my nose pierced though 🙂

38 Erin January 18, 2010 at 11:57 am

The granola looks yummy! I don’t have a tattoo but have definitely thought about what I would get if I did — I’m just not sure! I went with some friends to get theirs and MY hand hurt because they were squeezing so hard. 😉

39 Kate January 18, 2010 at 12:00 pm

I heart your snowflake! How adorbs! If I ever got one (and I am too scared of something that permanent) I would get my Korean name from before I was adopted tattooed somewhere…just no idea where….

40 Jenna January 18, 2010 at 12:11 pm

I don’t think I would ever get one!!

41 Darci January 18, 2010 at 12:29 pm

your breakfast looks SO good!!

i like your tatoo & cool w/the meaning behind it. i have never really wanted a tatoo, but the hubs kinda thinks i should get one! :p

42 Molly @vegandorm January 18, 2010 at 12:34 pm

I love it! I’m thinking about getting a tattoo…I’m looking at my foot, my ankle, or my hip.
I’m considering getting wings on my ankle (or ankles), hoofprints on my foot, or some message on my hip.
Two girls on my cross country team have a tattoo that runs along the edge of their sports bar – one has the Aramaic for Grace, the other (British) has “God Save the Queen”.
Now I just have to work up the courage!

43 joy January 18, 2010 at 12:50 pm

I have wings on the back of my neck I got them on the one year anniversary of my mother’s passing – and am trying to decide what to do for year # 2

44 theprocessofhealing January 18, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Great breakfast!

Love your tattoo too (ha!)! I don’t have one simply because i’m too afraid of the pain… i’m a baby when it comes to needles. But i’d love a small one on a place like that.

45 fromatopink January 18, 2010 at 1:35 pm

I got my first tattoo just about a year ago, on Valentine’s Day. I have the word “hope” in my handwriting right above my right buttcheek. 😉 Hope holds many meaning for me, but especially when it comes to living with cystic fibrosis: it reminds me to never give up hope – for a cure, to keep truckin’ with my meds, to stay positive.

46 Enya January 18, 2010 at 1:53 pm

I have 2:

One on my wrist, it’s ”Life” in Greek… I got it when I was 20 and had eating disorder. It was a start to my new life =)

And the other one is on my neck – ”The sky & hell – I carrying in me” (I’m not so good in English, sorry!), written in French… It means that you have a choice of being happy or rather unhappy & depressed!

And Meghann: Your blog is so good and delicious and fun and motivating and … Just super and the best. =)

47 Chelsea January 18, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I don’t have today off either-boo!

I have 3 very small and very well hidden tattoos. I have a small butterfly in my bikini region, the kanji symbol for love in black on my left lower back/hip area and a WHITE one to match on my right hip in the front.

I LOVE my WHITE tattoo. It’s awesome. A snowflake would be awesome in white. You have to find a studio that’ll do them and they tint it with a light color. Mine is tinted with purple but you can’t tell.

48 Beth (Mackattack) January 18, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Ahh government jobs. Don’t let the generous holiday schedule fool you, they pay so little and have to balance their budgets, so your pay gets cut even more! Love the snowflake tat, I can’t handle needles, so all I have is a pierced nose.

49 Angela January 18, 2010 at 2:37 pm

You breakfast looks good! I love your tattoo! I have three so far, my husband hates tattoos so I’m not sure there will be anymore in my future 🙁

50 Leah January 18, 2010 at 3:10 pm

I have a couple tattoos. I actually got my first one when I was 14. With my mom. 😉 It’s a sun and a moon with 3 stars on my lower back. When I was 18, I got a lady bug with 7 spots on my right hip. Then, when I was 20, I added some Punjabi script to either side of the sun and moon on my back. I have many more I want to get but just can’t justify spending the money on that sort of thing right now.

51 Amy January 18, 2010 at 3:48 pm

I got my only tattoo after my first marathon – a simple 26.2 under my right ankle bone. Before training for it I couldn’t run over 3 miles so it’s a reminder to me that I can accomplish anything. I’ve had it for 8 years now and still LOVE it!

52 Ash @ Good Taste. Healthy Me January 18, 2010 at 4:13 pm

I would never get a tattoo. I’d be wicked bored of it after a month LOL. I can’t deal with the permanence.

53 Allison January 18, 2010 at 4:32 pm

I don’t have a tattoo, but I wouldn’t be opposed to getting one. I just can’t think of some image, like your snowflake, that would be meaningful enough to me to have on my person forever. I did used to have 9 ear piercings. I took them all out for medical school interviews and now I only have 4 (double lobe piercings).

54 Inferno January 18, 2010 at 4:56 pm

I have lots of tattoos, but no snowflakes. I have been thinking about how to design a butterfly made of snowflakes for a tattoo.

55 retta @ runrettarun January 18, 2010 at 4:56 pm

I love your tat! Cute and simple. I have one and I would like to get another. My sisters and I want matching tattoos but more than likely it will be a long time before we do it. Everyone keeps having babies!

56 Becca January 18, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Hi roomie!!! Everytime I see the tat in pics I remember going with you to get it! Congrats on the marathon! I just bought a treadmill to get started…baby steps! You’re such an inspiration!

57 weightwatchingfoodie January 18, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Cute tat…I really want one but really chicken.

When I was younger I wanted a Dopey one..then that changed to a #24 for the race car driver Jeff Gordon..lol..

Now I would love a pink breast cancer ribbon to honor my mom that passed away from breast cancer almost 8 years ago

58 Jess January 18, 2010 at 10:38 pm

I love your tattoo. As a Canadian from a very wintery climate, I love the symbolism 🙂

I have a tattoo on the inside of my left foot – it’s a chinese symbol (I know I’m one of those) that loosely means ‘crazy’ – I thought the meaning was funny and wanted something to remind myself never to take myself too seriously. I also got it while I was in Thailand and there weren’t a lot of choices for designs. I wanted to have it done because they do it in the traditional method, with needle and bamboo (don’t worry, it was all safe and sterile). I didn’t think it hurt that much but I was so fascinated watching the technique that I wasn’t too bothered.

I’ve been working on designing a couple more tattoos for years now but haven’t quite gotten them right yet. I want a moth (I’m sort of obsessed with them) and a compass rose (because I love to travel) and maybe a tree. I’m also thinking of designing one to get once I complete my half ironman in August but not the M-dot that is traditional for completing Ironman (if I ever do a full one I might get it, though;)). I love tattoos.

59 Lauri January 18, 2010 at 11:00 pm

I have three! A grayscale bird on my birds, Sakura with falling petals on the backs of my calves, and cherries on my wrist. I love all of mine and they each mark a point in time of my life.
I actually have a post with pictures of mine on my blog

{ 1 trackback }