more ยป" />

Recovery Run

by Meghann on January 17, 2010

A week ago today I was freezing my tail off as I completed the Walt Disney World Marathon. This morning I woke up to a balmy 68 degrees and ran my first post-marathon 3 miles. Life is good. ๐Ÿ™‚

The 3 miles felt great. I ran at what felt like a natural pace and didn’t realize how fast I was going until after the first mile I heard my garmin beep and looked down to see 8:32 pop on the screen. It was as if my legs had completely forgotten the 26.2 miles it had ran a week before.

This was a huge step up from my last marathon when my first post-marathon run was when I realized I was injured and ended up having to take two extra weeks off from running to recover. No pain is a good thing and makes me very happy.

I also put the new shoes to the test this morning.

Its amazing the difference a new pair of shoes make. These babies still need to broken in, but it was nice to have a little cushion under my feet. I didn’t realize until this morning just how much I had worn out all the cushion in my previous pair. It takes a new pair of shoes to realize just how worn out my old ones were.

After my poor review of Bondi Band headbands a few of you were wondering which headbands I do recommend. It’s nothing fancy, but I swear by Goody’s Stay Put Headbands.

They’re cheap, I can find them easily at Publix, and they actually stay in place. They may not be pretty, but they get the job done. Love, Love, Love them! ๐Ÿ™‚

Sunday mornings = waffle mornings!

I followed the directions on the bag and made one delicious waffle that I topped with plain yogurt and strawberries.

This mix is very hearty and chewy. I love it!

The strawberries were also as sweet as could be, no sugar or syrup needed. Yum!

Today is grocery shopping day! (Is it sad thats my favorite day of the week?)

Best get to it!

1 Jocelyn January 17, 2010 at 11:17 am

Glad you had a great run in your new shoes..and no pain!
That bfast looks tres yummy.
My favorite day is grocery shopping day as well ๐Ÿ˜‰

2 Duchess of Fork January 17, 2010 at 11:23 am

Oh, I love grocery day, as well. Sunday is my, day too. I’ll be heading there after church! Glad your run went well.

3 Leah January 17, 2010 at 11:26 am

Looks delicious Meghann!
Glad your 1st run was a success. The shoes look great.

4 Island Girl Eats January 17, 2010 at 11:28 am

Nothing wrong with grocery shopping. I actually prefer it over shopping at the mall – did I just say that?!! I love to see what is new and try new things. It can actually be quite fun.

Do you plan your meals for the week?

5 Angela January 17, 2010 at 11:28 am

Your waffles look awesome! I’m so jealous of your fresh strawberries!

6 Molly January 17, 2010 at 11:43 am

grocery shopping is the best. Except for when you’re hungry…then it’s like torture (to your stomach AND your wallet!)
Glad you shoes feel good so far!

7 theprocessofhealing January 17, 2010 at 11:47 am

So happy that you had a great run!!
I love grocery shopping as well. And after seeing waffles on blogs two times today, I am so craving them!

8 Evan Thomas January 17, 2010 at 12:11 pm

I looove grocery shopping day(which I like to make a 72 hour event :-D)
Great run! I think I need new shoes in the worst way

9 Becca January 17, 2010 at 12:20 pm

I heart new running shoes and waffles ๐Ÿ™‚ They look so yummy and are the perfect post run meal!

10 Jayce January 17, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I use those same headbands – they work and they’re simple, which I like. I am currently getting back into running, and you make me want to try out different shoes as well instead of instinctively sticking with my usual Asics. Hmm…

11 Mandy January 17, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Grocery shopping day is my favourite day of the week too ๐Ÿ™‚
Super cute shoes!

12 Christy January 17, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Goody headbands are awesome! I’ve found them in cute colors like pink, yellow and turquoise… I love grocery shopping days, too ๐Ÿ™‚

13 Molly @vegandorm January 17, 2010 at 12:53 pm

I’m wearing that exact same headband now! Seriously invaluable to my runs!

14 inmytummy January 17, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Great job on the run, speedy.

15 eaternotarunner January 17, 2010 at 1:15 pm

I love the goody’s stay put headbands!

16 Jenna January 17, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Yummy breaky! And no I loves grocery shopping day ๐Ÿ™‚

17 foodfitnessandfreya January 17, 2010 at 1:45 pm

I’m EXACTLY the same – food shopping is like, my favourite sort!! I can spend hours and hours browsing food shops ๐Ÿ˜›
Have fun!

18 Nicci@NiftyEats January 17, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Yay, for a great first run since the race. I love how the fruit and yogurt makes the waffles sweet too. No need for syrup.

19 Anna January 17, 2010 at 1:54 pm

I actually have trouble keeping those headbands on my head…I think I’m too pin-headed or something! Seriously.

Today is grocery day for me too!

20 kyko January 17, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Funny story related to the Goody Headbands…

I bought some of those exact headbands from walmart awhile back. I guess they were made wrong or I got a dud pair, but they were WAY too loose for anyone’s head…so I now use them to fasten a piece of wood to my treadmill for a makeshift treadmill desk. I’m ingenious!

21 Jamie January 17, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Thanks for the suggestion on the Goodyโ€™s Stay Put Headbands; I teach spinning and I’ve been looking for a good headband to hold back those flyaways! Glad you like your new shoes as well!

22 Lauren January 17, 2010 at 3:04 pm

I also use the Goody headbands and absolutely love them. I’m with you on the Bondi Band. Although extremely cute, they are not practical and mine always falls off. Waffles looks delish. It looks like everyone in the blog world made waffles or pancakes this morning. MMM

23 Karla January 17, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Grocery shopping is always exciting! Today was restock day for me (since I was at my parents house all last month). Fun but a $45 bill isn’t too fun… oh well! Enjoy!

24 Erin January 17, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Love your breakfast — I made a similar one this morning with pancakes instead of waffles. So good! ๐Ÿ˜€

25 Lisa January 17, 2010 at 4:50 pm

I’ve got a couple of Bondi Bands and I love them when I run. They keep any distracting fly-aways off my face. I’ve got a regular one plus another that’s a wicking one – it says “Live Laugh Run” on it. It’s black, I’m hoping to get one in a lighter color for summer.

I recently contacted the company because it’s right here in my hometown (Lewiston, ME) to see if they sell locally, but unfortunately they don’t. I found them at a booth at a local festival a few years back, I had no idea that the company had become so popular.

One thing I noticed if I wear it covering just my hair, it slides back very easily, but if it’s partially on my forehead, it stays in place. Maybe it’s a hair texture thing? I also love to wear it for yoga.

26 Katherine January 17, 2010 at 5:37 pm

I am so jealous of your breakfast!!! That looks delicious!

27 Danielle January 17, 2010 at 6:53 pm

I swear sometimes the best things really are the least expensive!

I also need to get a new pair of running shoes. You’re right, you never realize how worn out/down they get until you’re in a new pair.

28 meyergirl January 17, 2010 at 7:12 pm

So impressed by your pace. I’d be excited if I could get down to under a 10 minute mile.

29 Nikki July 30, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Hey I am wondering where you find the Goody STAYPUT Headbands! I can’t find them anywhere and its driving me nuts because I have one and love it!