Shirts, Headbands, and Pies… Oh My!

by Meghann on January 15, 2010

Its Friday!!

I think I am particularly excited about this Friday because its the start of the first free weekend I’ve had in months! I have no where I have to be, no training runs I am required to run, and no visitors I have to entertain. I am free and that feeling is wonderful!

This morning I made friends again with my apartment’s treadmill by completing another 30 minute easy walk. I have a new appreciation for walking on the treadmill as it gives me the ability to catch up on my ever growing pile of unread magazines.

This morning I cracked open my November issue of Glamour, which was still in the same plastic wrapping it came to my mailbox in. Oops… I have to say Glamour is my least favorite of all my magazine subscriptions. I am counting down the months until it expires and I can stop feeling guilty for not reading them as they pile up next to my door.

Back in December the people at Endure Sports sent me one of their Endure Elite Short Sleeve Shirts to review for the blog. So far I have tested the sample shirt out on a couple of runs and today I wore it on my treadmill walk.

IMG_6151

I was a little disappointed when I ordered the shirt and was informed the shirts came in ‘unisex’ sizes. I knew this meant the shirt would be a little big. Men and women’s bodies are just so different, I think the idea of a unisex work out shirt is a poor one.

I for one am not a big of loose fitting clothing for running. From personal experience I know loose shirt lead to major chafing. The loose material rubs my skin raw, which is why you will usually find me in tight fitting spandex for long runs. This shirt did well on the short 4 and 5 milers I wore it on, but I would never go for a longer run than that.

IMG_6156

I did like the little pocket for a key on the side. That came in handy for my treadmill walk, but again impractical for running as the key bounces like crazy in the loose fitted shirt.

Overall I am a little bias because I am judging this shirt purely on a runner’s needs basis. It was great for my walk and one I would probably wear on strength training days.

Did you notice the pretty headband on my head?

IMG_6163

That is my first Boni Band head band. After hearing so many great things about them I was very excited to buy one at the expo on Saturday. I am a total head band junkie and just thought this one was so cute.

IMG_6158

Unfortunately looks aren’t everything. The darn thing wouldn’t stay on my head at all on marathon day! I got tired of adjusting it and finally had to take the damn thing off and wrap it around my wrist. Major fail, bondi band. 🙁

IMG_6157

However, it is still cute and I’ve found the bondi band is practical for the lighter activities of walking, I just won’t be wearing it on any long runs anytime soon.

Gosh, those reviews were kind of harsh. Sorry! But, I have to be honest. 🙂

Oh and sorry for the million and one self portraits. I’m done now!

I do have another review for you and I promise this one’s a good one. 😉 It doesn’t involve athletic wear or self portraits, but it does involve a yummy recipe.

Angela’s Pumpkin Pie Breakfast Cake

IMG_6167

Wow! I knew as soon as Angela posted this recipe it would be a winner. I prepped the batter last night and just threw the prepped pans in the oven this morning after my work out. When I was finished with my shower my apartment was filled with a delicious pumpkin pie aroma. Amazing!

IMG_6184

I had to make some substitutions to the recipe so I could use what I had on hand. I ended up having the halve it as well when I realized I only has 1/2 a cup of rolled oats in my cabinet.

IMG_6189

Here is my edited ingredient list

• 1/4 cup almond butter
  • 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
  • 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
  • 2 T WW flour
  • 1 t pure vanilla extract
  • 1 Tbsp honey
  • 1 t pumpkin pie spice (or a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger)
  • Pinch salt
  • 3/4 cup fat free milk
  • dark chocolate chips (to garnish)
  • raisins (to garnish)
  • Besides the changes in ingredients I followed the rest of Angela’s recipe exactly. Only using two small dishes instead of three to bake in.

IMG_6196

I topped the finished ‘pie’ with pumpkin yogurt (pumpkin mixed with plain yogurt and pumpkin pie spice), half a pear, and some Kashi Go Lean Crunch.

IMG_6202

It was like eating dessert for breakfast. The pie was
    slightly mushy and paired wonderfully with the yogurt addition. I Love, Love, Loved it and can’t wait to eat the other serving for a snack in the near future!

IMG_6205

Do you have any big plans for the weekend?

Though I have no set plans I have some ‘goals’ for the weekend I am looking forward to.

• Hanging out with Caitlin
    • Crashing a hotel’s hot tub 😉
    • Buying new running shoes
    • Yoga
    • Getting my bike out of its semi-retirement
    • Baking homemade doggie treats
    • Being as lazy as humanly possible!

Now, all I need to do is get through these next 8 hours of work before my free weekend can officially begin. 🙂

1 caitlin January 15, 2010 at 10:05 am

yay! what do you wanna do this weekend? i have to help harry with his grandma during the day on saturday but we could do something saturday night if you’re free.

2 caitlin January 15, 2010 at 10:08 am

omg do you wanna go to the orlando brewing company on sunday afternoon? they have a “dogs day out” and you can bring your dogs.

3 gina January 15, 2010 at 10:21 am

omg u ran 5 miles this morning? I thought u were giving yourself a week off! I cant read your blog anymore. U are too obsessive and have an unhealthy lifestyle due to it. Its annoying

4 Meghann January 15, 2010 at 10:26 am

What? I said I walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes. I was referring to a previous run in the review of the shirt.

5 Casey January 15, 2010 at 10:23 am

Haha…your weekend sounds fabulous :). HOT TUBS=MY FAVE THING EVER!!

Bondi band is adorable, even if it isn’t the best for running. 🙂

6 Laura Georgina January 15, 2010 at 10:23 am

Thanks for the review of all the stuff, especially the bondi bands, Megan. I’d been looking at getting one for a while but I always have trouble with keeping headbands on my head (must be oddly shaped!) so I’ll keep looking elsewhere (but they are sooo cute, sigh…)

7 Emily January 15, 2010 at 10:29 am

Thanks for the reviews. I have NEVER found a headband that will stay on once I’m sweating. Any that you have that do work?

8 Morgan @ Life After Bagels January 15, 2010 at 10:29 am

it might be the shape of your head . . . I find that I cannot get any headband of any kind to stay on my head, it alway slips off and turns into looking like some kind of weird hat

9 Jessie January 15, 2010 at 10:29 am

I love your headband!

And thanks for posting your recipe for the breakfast cakes. I have been wanting to make one but hadn’t put in the effort to modify the ingredient list.

10 Anna January 15, 2010 at 10:30 am

That headband is SO cute!!

I’m with you on Glamour– I used to LOVE that mag back in college, and now I hardly ever read it.

re: Gina’s comment– WTF?!?

Whatever 🙂

11 healthy ashley January 15, 2010 at 10:32 am

Sorry the bondi bands aren’t working out for you! I’m actually wearing my black one right now! Maybe i just have a huge head, but they stay on my head perfectly! I wore one for the marathon and it lasted until the finish line 🙂

Enjoy the free weekend!

12 Cait (Cait's Plate) January 15, 2010 at 10:33 am

Oooh I saw that yesterday on Angela’s site and really wanted to try it! I think I’m going to have to!

I love that shirt!

And I agree with Anna. Not really sure where Gina is coming from with that. Haha! You are one of the healthiest people I “know” and WHO IS FORCING HER TO READ YOUR BLOG?!?! Hahahaha. Just gotta laugh at things like that 🙂

HAPPY FRIDAY!!

13 allisonisactive January 15, 2010 at 10:34 am

Thanks for the Bondi Band review. My running partner and I have been considering matching Bondi Bands for the Disney Princess Half, but if they don’t stay in place, we’ll think about something else. I should buy one to test.

14 foodfitnessandfreya January 15, 2010 at 10:34 am

awh what a lovely weekend you have planned 🙂
    I can’t believe you don’t like Glamour!! That’s my favourite of all my subscriptions! Maybe the American version isn’t as good as the English one..?
    That breakfast looks proper immense – but cake for breakfast always would be 🙂 have a good day!

15 Tami January 15, 2010 at 10:35 am

agreed about the bondi bands. falls off my head too-yikes about Anna’s comment….it’s Friday, maybe she has had a rough week

16 Krista N. January 15, 2010 at 10:35 am

Hi! I really like sweatybands. They have thick and thin bands that are really trendy and they stay put. I have worn them in several marathons and in hot yoga. You should check them out, sweatybands.com. Have a great weekend 🙂

17 caronae January 15, 2010 at 10:37 am

That is quite possibly the best looking breakfast I have seen on anyone’s blog in a long time. My weekend plans are also lazy — blog meetup with kath, possibly some baking and a visit to my cousin, and lots of time to relax. Have a good weekend!

18 Courtney January 15, 2010 at 10:37 am

Love the breakfast! :] Such AWESOME photos! Yum, yum!

19 Jenna January 15, 2010 at 10:40 am

Glad you have a free weekend!! Love those!
    Head band is so cute and that pumpki pie looks outta this world!!
    Jenna

20 meyergirl January 15, 2010 at 10:46 am

I’ll have to pick some rolled oats up at the store and try Angela’s recipe.

21 megan January 15, 2010 at 10:48 am

definitely a cute headband, too bad it didn’t work for the marathon. but great for walking and strength training 🙂

your weekend plans sound great! We are having friends for dinner tonight, and then the rest of the weekend is free! Hope to fit in a little racquetball – now that’s a fun sport!

22 wecookwhenwecan January 15, 2010 at 10:52 am

I love bondi bands but the trick is you have to pull it forward a little bit more. You kind of look a littl goofy when you do it, but it totally does the trick, I suggest you try that!

23 kirsten January 15, 2010 at 10:54 am

I’m the same way with glamour. You can cancel the subscription on their website and supposedly they give you a refund for all the issues you haven’t received yet.

24 skinnyrunner January 15, 2010 at 10:59 am

that headband is super cute! too bad it didnt work out too well. happy friday!

25 kandkfood January 15, 2010 at 11:08 am

Enjoy your weekend and relaxation, you deserve every second of it after that marathon! -Katie

26 Andrea January 15, 2010 at 11:09 am

Your Pumpkin Pie Breakfast Cake looks AMAZING!! I am definitely making it this weekend. Congrats on finishing the Disney Marathon. I really enjoyed reading your recap. Great blog! Have a fun weekend!

27 fromatopink January 15, 2010 at 11:12 am

Sounds like a fun weekend you have planned! I need to try the whole “bake something while in the shower” thing. I’m just normally SO hungry when I get up/get home from the gym that I can’t wait!

28 Megan January 15, 2010 at 11:13 am

I LOOOOVE unisex shirts. I hate the way women’s tee-s fit (except NIke obvs). I also don’t really mind loose shirts, even for longer distances. I think it’s pretty cute.

29 courtlove111 January 15, 2010 at 11:13 am

Can’t wait to read about the homemade dog treats! I need to make some for my pups.
    When I’m done reading my magazines I always pass to a friend, leave it at the gym for others to read, or bring to work for anyone who wants. That way I can recycle it a few more times before it goes in the recycling bin. I’m sure there is someone out there that would enjoy reading your magazine castoffs!
    I’ve even brought piles of them to the library to donate.
    Courtney
    adventures in tri-ing

30 Good Taste. Healthy Me January 15, 2010 at 11:28 am

I get to go shopping with my mom this weekend! Woohoo! I love shopping and I haven’t been in SO long!

31 Sweet and Fit January 15, 2010 at 11:29 am

glad you finally have a weekend off!

I have tried so many different headbands – they all fall off and just wont stay put.

hope you get to do everything on your agenda this weekend =)

32 Lisa (bakebikeblog) January 15, 2010 at 11:40 am

I hope you have a wonderfully relaxing weekend ! Your sure do deserve it!!!

33 Katie O. @ Fit to Wed January 15, 2010 at 11:49 am

That headband is so cute! I still subscribe to Glamour, but I am quickly outgrowing it. Don’t get me started on Cosmo- it’s even worse!

I think I’m getting a facial this weekend 🙂 Enjoy your relaxing weekend!

34 eaternotarunner January 15, 2010 at 11:55 am

Looks like a delicious breakfast! That was how I felt about my Marie Claire subscription….couldn’t wait to be done with it!

35 Heather @ (The Single Dish) January 15, 2010 at 12:00 pm

I have Monday off from work, so I am looking forward to the LONG weekend! I want to get some strength training in this weekend, relax and make some nice meals 🙂

36 Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen January 15, 2010 at 12:07 pm

i’m glad you like the breakfast cakes…i’ve been eyeing that recipe for a while and wasn’t sure if i’d like it or not. now i know i can pick up the ingredients at the store this weekend 🙂

37 Karla January 15, 2010 at 12:14 pm

I saw Angela’s recipe! It looks so good! I can’t wait to try it!
    Haha I love the idea of crashing a hotel hot tub! Have fun!

38 Matt January 15, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Sounds like you have a great weekend planned!

Are you going to start running again soon?

39 Lauren January 15, 2010 at 12:26 pm

cute headband, but I agree – I always have trouble getting headbands to stay put. It must be the shape of my head or something… I need some serious elastic for it to stay on!

40 Danielle January 15, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Thanks for being so honest with your reviews. I know we all appreciate it!

41 Krista January 15, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Who is that Gina chick? She obviously didn’t read your post!
    Anyways, I have trouble with headbands slipping off, too. Lululemon makes some great non-slip ones that work well…

42 Erin January 15, 2010 at 12:37 pm

I’ve been wanting to make that pie — definitely this weekend! 😀

Enjoy your free weekend. Those are too rare and so fun!

43 stacey January 15, 2010 at 12:51 pm

I hope that you post about making the dog treats. I have been wanting to make some for my dogs for a while. Do you have a recipe that your are going to follow?

44 jocelynsteiber January 15, 2010 at 1:08 pm

I haven’t found any great headbands that don’t pull my hair and slip off yet.
    Angela’s recipe looks so good! One my my new year goals is to cook more! Although it’s hard living in such a small NYC apartment with no counter space.

xo

Jocelyn

45 Michelle January 15, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Hi Meghann have you ever heard of sweaty bands? Theyre the only head bands I’ve found that don’t move off my head when I’m working out. They have a website if you want to check them out.

46 Jessica @ The Process of Healing January 15, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Sounds like a fun weekend, don’t you love that free feeling of doing whatever you want?!

And I admire you for being completely honest in your reviews. You know, I have problems keeping things on my head. Maybe I have a big head?!

And I’m for sure trying Angela’s recipe. I’ve been wanting to but didn’t have all of the ingredients – however, I do have the ingredients you used.

47 Becky January 15, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Cute headband! I was just thinking the same thing about my Glamor subscription. I usually renew both Glamor and Self at the same time. This year I will only be renewing Self!

48 Amy January 15, 2010 at 1:24 pm

I had the same problem wth the bondi band while running–and ended up wrapping it around my wrist. Now I just wear it when I am not running bc it is cute. And I love the design of yours!

49 Lee January 15, 2010 at 1:30 pm

The headband is really cute even though it’s not so practical.

I’m very excited because that pumpkin cake looks great and I have all the ingredients in my house. I know what’s for breakfast tomorrow.

50 Becca January 15, 2010 at 1:41 pm

The headband is cute, I agree, but it MUST stay in place! That’s too bad that it won’t work out for running!

51 Ali January 15, 2010 at 1:58 pm

I love weekends where there is nothing on the list of to-do’s, I have a feeling I will not feel that way until August as I am planning a wedding, training for a half marathon and in graduate school on top of working two jobs and blogging. Enjoy!

PS I have NEVER found a headband that will stay on my head. I think I have a weird shaped head or something! BOO!

52 Biz January 15, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Hooray for a me weekend! You gotta do those every once in a while!

I have twin fest tomorrow – my twin sister and I are getting together with our best friends that are twins – weird, I know – we get a lot of stares when we go out – you just don’t see that many adult twins around!

Have an awesome weekend! 😀

53 Anne @ the doctor takes a wife January 15, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Oh I LOVE Glamour 🙂 It’s my favorite magazine that I get!!

I saw Angela’s breakfast cake last week, and I’m dying to try it!!

54 Katie G January 15, 2010 at 3:12 pm

SO…despite the fact that I had originally set out this year to do a ton of bike rides/races, you have inspired me now to pick up running, in addition,…I am currently not a big fan of running…but I’m going to give it a try and hopefully complete my first 5k this spring…and maybe a half-marathon this year….?!? Once I pick which ones I am going to do, I’ll def. be blogging about it! Thanks for the motivation!

55 megzzwinsatlife January 15, 2010 at 3:17 pm

cute headband.. I have issues with headbands too.. I finally use the lululemon one.. I am not crazy ab it but it does the trick!

56 Anne Marie@New Weigh of Life January 15, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Nothing too exciting going on this weekend-yay!

57 Elina January 15, 2010 at 3:17 pm

I can’t wait for this weekend to start! I am the opposite of you – have a giant list of things I must do, but it’s all fun so I am ready to tackle that list!
    I’m saving the pumpkin pie recipe. Sounds delicious 😀
    Happy Friday, Meghann!!!

58 Katie G January 15, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Okay, now I am officially motivated…I set out to do some bike ridea/races this year, however now I am interested in picking up running as well (I’m currently not the biggest fan of running)…I am looking into a 5k to start, and then maybe a half marathon before 2011!? Once I decide on which ones I will do, and sign up, I will definitely be blogging about them! Thanks for the motivation! Keep up the great blog!

59 Nicci@NiftyEats January 15, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Sorry the headband did not work out,but it still looks cute yo wear with regular clothes. lol

60 Gab* January 15, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Don’t feel bad about giving negative reviews, it’s important to be honest! Hope you have a nice relaxing weekend.

61 RunToTheFinish January 15, 2010 at 6:04 pm

The bondi band and I have issues too. I also just use mine for easy days or bad hair days

62 Angela January 15, 2010 at 7:13 pm

I’ve been wanting try those breakfast cakes! thanks for the posting your substitutions because I have everything on that list! So going to trying this soon!

63 Angie (Losing It and Loving It) January 16, 2010 at 11:36 pm

I have got to make some of those breakfast cakes. Sounds so yummy!

As for headbands which ones do you recommend for running? I am also a headband junkie and need to get some now that I have started running (oh and I just bought new running shoes too!). I have some cheap headbands/sweat bands but they are no good. Need to find some really good ones.

64 laura January 18, 2010 at 9:18 pm

these little pies look so yummy — and a great excuse to eat sweets for breakfast! can’t wait to try them!