more ยป" />

Staying Power

by Meghann on January 13, 2010

My secret jar strikes again!

I knew dinner was going to be on the later side and needed a snack with a little staying power.

My giant glob of almond butter paired with a baggie full of carrots and orange slices was the perfect mix of fiber and protein to keep my tummy happy and satisfied.

Good thing too because just as predicted dinner was delayed. I braved lovely Orlando traffic after work so that I could bring this lovely creature back in to my life.

Maddie! I missed you!!

Maddie has been playing house at my parent’s house since I dropped her off before the marathon on Saturday. I was suppose to get her on Sunday, but was too lazy to drive the distance after running 26.2 miles.

Luckily my Mom had a meeting in Orlando this evening and dropped her off at my Sister’s apartment so that I could pick her up after work. It feels good to have Maddie’s company again. I was getting lonely!

Thanks to my staying power snack, when I finally made it back to apartment I had no problem taking my time and making a delicious dinner.

Pecan Rice Pilaf (Boxed)

Roasted brussels sprouts and onions drizzled in a balsamic vinegar

Pumpkin Spiced Chickpeas made famous by MamaPea herself!

Not for Maddie

For dessert I had two Mallory Ohs VeggieGirl had sent me.

Soo good, but so rich! I should have stopped at one because now I have a tiny stomach ache. Totally worth it though! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Currently I am catching up on my DVR and am simultaneously watching last night’s Biggest Loser while blogging. Bob and Jillian just brought out all the food that one of the contestants used to eat in a single day. Oddly enough it wasn’t the table full of greasy full fat food that caught my attention – that was a given – it was when the contestant said that he would not eat anything all day, come home starving, and eat the kitchen that made me cringe.

I have heard the same ‘I don’t eat during the day’ time and time again and it bugs me every time. When are people going to learn that starving yourself all day and bingeing at night isn’t the answer to a healthy well being? To stay healthy and happy we need to fuel ourselves with nutritious food through out the day, not just grab everything in sight at night.

I think more and more we find ourselves making less and less time for proper meals during the day, the more were are going to witness the obesity epidemic starting to climb. I make food the top of my priority list, because I know eating healthy through out the day is what keeps me sane. If it was move to the bottom of the list I’m not sure I could survive.

Is food a priority to you? Or does it get pushed behind?

1 Pamela January 13, 2010 at 10:04 pm

AH I completely agree with you about people starving themselves all day and then binging at night. It makes no sense to me. It’s so unhealthy! Some of my coworkers do it and say it’s the only way they can maintain their weight. They’re confusing their bodies so much. It makes me sad that people do that to themselves. You just end up thinking about food ALL day.

Sorry for the little rant but I completely understand where you are coming from in this post.

2 Gracie January 13, 2010 at 10:04 pm

oh gosh, I know SO many people that starve themselves all day, and they think it’s going to help them lose weight! Not only does it set you up for a binge, but there’s almost nothing worse for your metabolism. I get so frustrated because I hate to see someone self-sabotage and not even realize it……

3 Evan Thomas January 13, 2010 at 10:08 pm

I’ve made food my priority. Well, I’ve also made it my job by being a blogger, but I know that if I don’t focus on it I will just not eat all day, only I also won’t remember to eat at night and underfuel for a workout. Once you do that for months, you’ll never want to go back

4 Mandy January 13, 2010 at 10:12 pm

I don’t like feeling hungry all the time. I’ve gone days where i don’t eat much during the day, and then I feel sluggish all day, and when i get home all i want to do is EAT. Not very healthy, and i usually end up over eating because I’m so hungry it takes a while for my brain to catch up that I’m full.

I’d rather eat small portions all day then one massive binge at night ๐Ÿ™

5 biz319 January 13, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Hooray for getting Maddie back! Love her cute face. I just finished watching BL – not only did the table full of food make me sick, but also the woman who had diabetes FOR 20 YEARS! It is horrible that you can literally go years without any symptoms that interfere with your daily life, but when it does, you can’t get those years back.

6 Allison January 13, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Food is definitely a priority for me! I’ve heard of people starving all day, and I just can’t imagine EVER doing that. I get hungry and I need food RIGHT THEN or else I will be grumpy and unpleasant. I can barely make it to 9 am before I eat breakfast, I can’t imagine going all day!

7 BridgetP January 13, 2010 at 10:15 pm

I am watching Biggest Loser on DVR right now too and thought the same thing at that scene. I just don’t understand that mentality of starving yourself all day either. I can’t imagine not eating all day.

I don’t know if people really think it is helping them or if they just want to “save up” their calories because they think that means they can eat whatever they want at night.

8 Nicci@NiftyEats January 13, 2010 at 10:17 pm

Dinner looks yummy. I need to try Mama Peas chickpeas asap.

9 Lacey January 13, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Wow, if I were to starve all day and binge at night I would feel terrible for my co-workers. If I even go past 9 am without eating I am a short-tempered, snappy, miserable B!

10 Erin January 13, 2010 at 10:30 pm

I have so many friends who don’t eat all day because they’re “dieting” but then come home and binge at night. They comment on the fact that I graze all day but I feel better when I eat better — end of story.

11 Samantha January 13, 2010 at 10:36 pm

So many people think that not eating is the way to lose weight! I hope that people will see the light one of these days and get with the healthy living progam. Great post!!

12 Christy January 13, 2010 at 11:02 pm

What cute pictures of Maddie!!! And food is usually a priority for me, but sometimes it’s hard when class/work is right during meal time ๐Ÿ˜•

13 Jenna January 13, 2010 at 11:07 pm

Yay for maddie being back home!
Dinner looks yummy! I like how you make food a priority in life, that is so important!
Jenna

14 Courtney January 13, 2010 at 11:13 pm

YOU CRAZY LITTLE RUNNER! I effing love you.

15 Kallie January 13, 2010 at 11:25 pm

Food has to be a priority for so many reasons. Obesity, clearly, but also meal planning can be so incredibly cost effective which is crucial to a cash-strapped grad student! Congrats on Disney — I ran it as my 2nd marathon, too in 2008 and had a slightly less chilly experience ๐Ÿ™‚ Happy trails!

16 Jeri January 13, 2010 at 11:26 pm

ha, I’m totally watching TBL that I dvr’d while blogging away. great blogger minds think alike. ๐Ÿ˜‰

17 Danielle January 13, 2010 at 11:28 pm

Your dinner (well…the roasted brussels in particular) look sooooo good ๐Ÿ™‚
Food is def. a priority for me. I just hate the feeling of hunger. I keep “emergency food” in my purse

18 Run Sarah January 13, 2010 at 11:35 pm

I often dont have a lot of time to sit down and eat during the day so I find having a really hearty breakfast, making sure I keep snacks to go in my bag and having a good dinner balances out my lighter lunch. If I dont eat enough during the day, I cant satisfy my hunger all night!

19 Chelsea January 13, 2010 at 11:44 pm

I need to make those chickpeas like STAT.

Food is front and center for me. I have all my food planned out the night before and I basically stick to plan.

I know so many people who don’t eat and normally they are the ones who struggle with their weight.

20 inmytummy January 13, 2010 at 11:46 pm

I don’t understand when people get too busy or forget to eat. My fiance works weird hours and he’ll go his entire shift without eating, saying he’s too busy. I do not get it. At all.

21 Morgan @ Life After Bagels January 13, 2010 at 11:47 pm

There’s a lot of people that make a lot of unhealthy decisions. I always find that there’s really no use in telling people your opinion, or what has worked for you, because if they really wanted to be healthy, they’d already be on their way. Usually people say “oh that makes a lot of sense” but really just go back to the ways they’re used to. That kind of applies to everything, not just healthy eating.

I am like you – food is always top priority, it can make my day awesome, or suck depending on how well I’m eating.

22 Lisa (bakebikeblog) January 13, 2010 at 11:49 pm

They are some great looking eats! How do you mind the combo of oranges and nut butter? I have never thought of putting those two together.

23 learningtocookeatandenjoydeliciousfood January 13, 2010 at 11:51 pm

My family considers healthy food a VERY high priority. I often walk around the grocery store seeing larger people throwing unhealthy food in their cart so that they can save a few dollars, but end up leaving with a heaping full cart and then I put healthy foods into my cart and leave with a semi – full cart, but know that I can fill me week with healthy and nutritious food!!

24 Marissa January 13, 2010 at 11:52 pm

I have only had steamed brussels + they tasted like slimy boogers. I need to try roasting them!

25 Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen January 14, 2010 at 12:49 am

food is definitely a priority for me and my family…almost to a fault! but planning ahead with food is so helpful in keeping yourself in line. great post!

26 Leah January 14, 2010 at 2:11 am

FOOD is always a top priority for me. If my belly aint happy, I aint happy, which means no one is happy!!!!

27 Becca January 14, 2010 at 2:46 am

Food is absolutely a priority for me. I love food, especially GOOD food!

28 Leah January 14, 2010 at 5:09 am

I used to be one of those people who would starve all day and (sometimes) overeat at night. It was something I went through during my eating disorder. It was such a miserable time in my life and I wouldn’t wish that way of thinking for anyone. I say that I would “sometimes” overeat at night because other times I could ignore my hunger signs long enough and have a 70 cal yogurt instead before going to bed. Eventually though, the next day or a day later it would catch up with me and my body would take over. I know EDs and bad eating habits are two very different things, but they are both still very negative ways of living and I hope that someday other people will see that how You (and me, now!) eat is the way forward to a healthier, happier lifestyle.

29 sarah (the SHU box) January 14, 2010 at 6:32 am

i feel like it’s often men who do that — sometimes in an effort ‘to be healthy’, and sometimes because they just don’t think about food! i have no idea how these people make it through the day. i get hangry just going from breakfast to lunch ๐Ÿ™‚

30 Maya January 14, 2010 at 7:58 am

I know exactly what you mean. I know too many people who don’t make healthy eating a priority throughout the day. It is something I prioritize and hope to continue to do even as my life becomes busier as a college student and perhaps full time worker, wife, mother, etc.

31 Katie @ Health for the Whole Self January 14, 2010 at 8:08 am

I think you’re totally right that people don’t make eating a priority throughout the day. Also, I think that many people think that NOT eating is going to help them lose weight. They think the way to slim down is by skipping meals and snacks. They don’t understand that eating throughout the day – and making mostly good, healthy choices – actually promotes a healthy weight!

32 Matt January 14, 2010 at 8:38 am

That describes my dad. He barely eats during the day, then has a massive dinner at night.

I make food one of my top priorities. I just feel better when I am eating a healthy, nutritious diet that fuels me well.

33 foodfitnessandfreya January 14, 2010 at 9:04 am

I get really frustrated with people who do the binge/starve thing ๐Ÿ™ Food is a complete priority to me; I spend the majority of my money on it! I’d so much rather good food than anything else, especially now I’m training – soo important to fuel right!!

34 Amy January 14, 2010 at 9:17 am

So glad you have that sweet little face back at home ๐Ÿ™‚ (I’m sure Maddie really missed you!)

You dinner looks amazing!

35 kirsten January 14, 2010 at 9:41 am

My Fiance used to do that, eat barely anything all day then come home starving and eat a lot. It made me crazy!

36 Alyssa Lindsey January 14, 2010 at 9:42 am

I have never commented but I’ve been reading your blog for awhile and I LOVE it! Congrats on the marathon! All my coworkers know my biggest fear is forgetting my lunch – food is a HUGE priority for me. My husband comes home sometimes really sick with a headache saying “I forgot to eat today”. My response is – how do you forget, your body has a built in reminder….it’s called hunger! To me, saying you forget to eat is like saying I forgot to breathe…I just do not understand it! I’m so glad others share my passion for food!

37 Casey January 14, 2010 at 9:52 am

Well said Meghann! I completely agree. And to that end, your dinner looks fabulous :).

Glad you have sweet Maddie back in your life!

38 Molly January 14, 2010 at 9:58 am

I was going to write a post on the “starvation” topic. My two best guy friends know how insane I get inside when they tell me that all they eat in a day is a couple hand fulls of nuts and/or just an apple. I end up getting MAD which I don’t think they understand. but honestly? what do you think this is!?

grrr sorry that is one of my passion points. I just dont understand how people can be so stupid.
Those chocolates look BOMB though. I wish I could have about 10.

Happy Thursday girly! Hope you have a wonderful rest of your day! ๐Ÿ™‚

39 fromatopink January 14, 2010 at 10:30 am

So true. I am constantly amazed at how little people know or understand when it comes to eating healthy. Education is definitely the first step and could go a long way toward fighting the obesity epidemic.

40 Julia January 14, 2010 at 10:33 am

Just want to make the point that some people have various eating preferences that don’t necessarily parallel an unhealthy lifestyle. For example, I work and go to grad school full-time, so my schedule is insane. I really dislike eating on the go or eating in a rush (gives me indigestion), so I tend to eat very small snacks (like an apple, then some nuts a few hours later, then a latte, etc) to tide me over throughout the day and keep up my metabolism/energy levels, and then have a very well-balanced meal when I’m able to get home and enjoy it. I definitely agree that not eating a single thing all day is by no means healthy — mentally or physically — but you don’t necessarily need three square meals to be considered healthy.

41 Mama Pea January 14, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Thanks for the chickpea shouts!!!

I agree on the starvation/gorging thing. It really is a vicious cycle. You wouldn’t drive your car on low oil for days and then try to just flood your car with STP. Why should we do the same thing to our bodies?!

42 abbynormally January 14, 2010 at 1:35 pm

unfortunately, food can sometimes take the back burner… but I’m working hard on it!!!!!!

43 allisonisactive January 14, 2010 at 1:37 pm

I am a food planner, and when I fall behind, that’s when I start eating junk! When I over-plan and bring lots of healthy snacks to work, I eat better.

I had a roommate (one of my best friends, actually) do that “not eat all day” thing. She and her friend would totally starve all day long, and then order a huge pizza, dowse it with ranch dressing, and chow down at like 10:00 at night. And I would sit when them at lunch and dinner, and they’d be like, “How can you eat all that?” But, you didn’t see me eating half a pizza every night!

44 goodtastehealthyme January 14, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Food is totally a priority. I get cranky when I don’t eat! LOL

45 Jessica @ The Process of Healing January 14, 2010 at 2:06 pm

You took the words right out of my mouth!!! I completely agree. I hear people say all of the time stuff like “i’ve only eaten a banana and some yogurt all day!” and it’s dinner time then. How did this happen to where they are convinced that that is a GOOD thing?! How is that in any way, shape, or form healthy? If people would only understand that if they just feed their body nutritious foods in proper portions throughout the day, it would make SUCH a big difference! It absolutely kills me to hear stuff like that!!!

46 jenngirl January 15, 2010 at 10:37 am

You make such a good point. Sometimes I feel awkward about making food such a priority in my life, but it’s only because I know that when I’m hungry I cannot think clearly or perform simple tasks as efficiently. And I always strive to feel my best, so it does make sense to keep food at least somewhat in the forefront of our minds.

47 Julia January 15, 2010 at 6:29 pm

I saw that episode too. My boyfriend has the same problem. He has a job that has him running around all day; and sometimes all he will eat until dinner is a little PB&J sammie in the morning! And he’s 6 foot 4 too! I keep telling him to EAT, but it just seems like he has zero interest in food. How is that possible! I would be thinking about food all day!