more ยป" />

Expo Time!

by Meghann on January 9, 2010

This afternoon I was giddy as a school girl as I pulled up to the Wide World of Sports at Walt Disney World.

I’m pretty sure I was skipping to pick up my packet.

Luckily, I wasn’t the only excited one. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Kelly and I had no problems picking up our packets and taking care of out corral changes. There were no line and everyone was really nice and willing to help us out.

We have both have our own pace goals for the race, but it will be nice to start next to each other. :)

After we got our packets it was Expo time!

I got a new shirt

Grabbed a couple of pace bands (still unsure which one I’m going with ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

Nibbled on a few sample.

IMG_5608.JPG IMG_5600.JPG

And found a long lost friend – MELISSA!!! AHHHH

(The shirt says 1/2 Marathon Girl…. I don’t go all the way! lol)

Melissa begins her new job in Miami next week and made a pit stop in Orlando during her cross country drive from California to cheer us on at the marathon. Basically she rocks and its great to have her around for the next couple of days!

Melissa and I said our good byes to Kelly and met Sabrina, her husband, and Derek for dinner Portobello in Downtown Disney.

Sabrina and I became good friends when we traveled to San Francisco together this past November for the Foodbuzz Festival. It was great to catch up and get to know her adorable husband.

Are they not the cutest couple?

They are both running the Half Marathon tomorrow and I wish them the best of luck in the predicted rain and sleet! They are going to ROCK IT! :)

Portobello is a cute little Italian restaurant near Pleasure Island in Downtown Disney. Sabrina and PB were on a mission to carb load and we figured this would be the perfect spot.

Unfortunately, we weren’t the only runners in the area with that idea. The restaurant was packed! Despite our 6:30 reservation we were not seated until after 7:00 and our food and service were on the slow side.

However, once the food arrived we were all quite impressed.

I started with a White Bean Tuscan Pureed Soup.

For my main course I ordered the anti pasta platter.

I was expecting some sort of vegetable on the anti-pasta platter, but other wise it was great. It has a lovely variety of cheeses and the bruschetta was very fresh. I believe Sabrina’s husband even had plate envy of my dinner. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Derek had the black linguini with shrimp.

It was beautiful and the bite I had was delicious.

Overall we all agreed it was a great restaurant, we just happened to dine on a busy night. :)

Blogger love! :)

After dinner I was on a mission to find the custom candy factory rumored to exist in Downtown Disney. Megan had blogged about the mysterious place in the past and I had been dying to find it ever since.

First, we thought maybe the Ghiradelli store was what we were looking for, but now such luck. We did, however, walk away with a free piece of chocolate to nibble on.

The Ghiradelli lady was kind enough to direct us in the right direction.

Goofy’s Candy Company

Basically you order a custom made disney treat. You select the base, chocolate coating, candy coating, and chocolate drizzle.

Melissa had a hard time deciding

Once you hand over the order, they assemble the treat right in front of you.

I selected a rice krispie treat dipped in dark chocolate, coated with reeses peanut butter cups, and drizzled with white chocolate.

I should have got a picture of my big eyes and dropped jaw when I saw the finished product. :)

Melissa ordered the pretzel rods that were equally as amazing in appearance.

We got our orders to go and headed home

Blogger in action

Poor Mickey lost his ear

Check out that thick coating

The ear was perfect. Yum!

I can barely keep my eyes open at the moment. Tomorrow is going to be another busy day and another early one. Best to rest up now.

Good Night!!

1 Karla January 9, 2010 at 2:06 am

Wow what a fantastic day of eats!

2 Misty January 9, 2010 at 2:08 am

Hmm. The link to Melissa’s blog doesn’t work. Well, it works, but I don’t think it goes where it’s supposed to – it goes to a blank Blogger page for a Nathalie Hites in Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil.

Your treats look delicious but definitely much too rich to be eaten in one sitting (or even a few, really)!

3 Danielle January 9, 2010 at 2:18 am

I love the shirt you got! Yay for blogger meet-ups :)
And that is a seriousss dessert

4 Rosey Rebecca January 9, 2010 at 2:22 am

Good luck tomorrow!! The custom candy factory sounds amazing!! Reading your post makes me want to go to Disney. I’ve never been to Disney World.. just Disney land!! I’m missing out!

5 Mama Pea January 9, 2010 at 2:37 am

I need Melissa’s shirt. I definitely don’t go all the way. But good luck to you tomorrow, you running whore!!!;)

6 foodfitnessandfreya January 9, 2010 at 4:05 am

ohmygosh that custom candy looks incredible!!
GOOD LUCK TODAY!! (it’s Sunday in england at least :p) :-)

7 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad January 9, 2010 at 6:56 am

That custom made candy….wow!

Love the glass slipper shirt that you picked out!

8 Lisa (bakebikeblog) January 9, 2010 at 7:20 am

Good luck!
ooooh that treat looks amazing!

9 Erin January 9, 2010 at 8:56 am

Wow, that custom candy place looks AMAZING! Yum!

10 kandkfood January 9, 2010 at 9:02 am

I was in Disney last week and went to that very same candy shop!!! Unfortunately the line was too long to indulge, but now I wish I would have waited!! Your mickey ears looked amazing!!

Good luck at the marathon! I cant wait to read about it :)

11 Jordan @ Salt Sweat Sugar January 9, 2010 at 9:09 am

I really need to go to Disney soon. I’ve only been to Universal for the past, oh 10 years… I live in Florida, it’s about time I headed to Disney again.

12 Heather @ Side of Sneakers January 9, 2010 at 9:16 am

I absolutely love both of those t-shirts. The glass slipper one is so cute, and how appropriate!! Pretty cool they had pace bands at the expo too!!

13 LindsayRuns January 9, 2010 at 9:16 am

Look at that restraint! Had I had that krispy in front of me I’da tried to eat the whole thing right there in the store….. And failed miserably of course.

14 Mara @ What's For Dinner? January 9, 2010 at 10:13 am

I must go to that candy place immediately :) just gotta find a flight, somewhere to stay… ๐Ÿ˜‰

15 K January 9, 2010 at 10:17 am

Just a couple questions:
1. are you not carbo loading for the marathon??? It doesn’t seem like that dinner has many carbs in it.

2. why did you only eat the ear of the mickey treat? Is it because you are trying to moderate yourself so you don’t eat too much? I probably would have eaten at least half!!!

I hope these don’t sound rude. I am just trying to learn how to live healthier although you seem to be a little extreme considering you are running a marathon!!

16 Ali January 9, 2010 at 10:17 am

I loooooove that shirt! SO ADORABLE! Looks like you guys had a great night! That Anti Pasta Plate looks great! Hope your Saturday is fun!

17 Niki January 9, 2010 at 10:23 am

Holy yum! That rice crispy treat looks AMAZING!! Loving that shirt too girl!! You are gonna rock the marathon, can’t wait to read the race report!

18 Morgan @ Life After Bagels January 9, 2010 at 10:24 am

sooooooooooo exciting . . . I can’t wait to hear more about all you girls’s weekend GOOD LUCK tomorrow

19 Sarah January 9, 2010 at 10:36 am

Good luck with the marathon! I love your teeshirt-it’s ridiculously cute!!

I can’t wear to read all about the marathon tomorrow :)

20 Jessica @ The Process of Healing January 9, 2010 at 10:37 am

The rice krispie treat looks INCREDIBLE!!! And I so want Melissa’s shirt, too cute!

21 Michaela January 9, 2010 at 10:41 am

love love that shirt!

22 Catie January 9, 2010 at 10:42 am

Go for 4:00!! I ran my first marathon last year (boston–for charity) in 4:04 and my training pace was way slower than yours. I bet you will surprise yourself!

23 Rachel January 9, 2010 at 11:38 am

That shirt is adorable ๐Ÿ˜€

24 Lyss January 9, 2010 at 11:45 am

Holy desserts!

25 Jenna January 9, 2010 at 11:49 am

Dinner looks fab!
Goofy’s ice cream place looks so good- those rice krispies and pretzel rods!!

26 Bernadette January 9, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Good luck tomorrow!!!

I can’t wait to read all about it, I feel like I’m there with you guys!!

27 Abby Flabs January 9, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Holy crap that looks yummy! HAHA. Good luck!!!!

28 jenngirl January 9, 2010 at 1:45 pm

haha I love yours and Melissa’s shirts! those are too cute ๐Ÿ˜‰

I think it’s awesome that big events like this marathon enable such fun blogger meet-ups. Seems like y’all had a great time!

29 strawberrysuitcase January 9, 2010 at 3:29 pm

that candy shop looks amazing! places where they assemble the food in front of you are so great. i love pretzel rods as they are salty + sweet–the perfect combo.

30 Tina January 9, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Good luck on your race!! I can feel the excitement through your posts! You are going to rock it!! By the way, I am salivating over your last night’s dessert!! How you were able to stop at just ONE ear I don’t know. =)

31 nikislosingit January 9, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Oh my! Your Disney candy shop treat look AMAZING! WOWOWOWOW is right!

And love BOTH the t-shirts! Though, since a half is my next goal, I loved that one about not going all the way.

Can’t wait to read about your race!

32 melissa January 9, 2010 at 9:29 pm

LOL at “anti-pasta”! Trust me, no Italian is anti-pasta! I think you meant antipasto (antipasti is plural)!

33 Janice (O.S.M.B.) January 10, 2010 at 3:10 pm

First of all, SO happy I discovered your blog! I ran a marathon in college but due to a bad knee injury had to give up all long distance running. While I’m working on 5Ks again now, I love blogs like yours that motivate me to get over the painful memories and remember why I love it so much. So, thanks :)

Secondly, that candy factory is making me want to take a road trip to Disney IMMEDIATELY.

Glad you enjoyed, and congrats! (I’m thinking you may be done with the marathon by now…)

34 meyergirl January 11, 2010 at 10:08 am

That treat is ridiculous! In a good way. :)

35 Megan January 12, 2010 at 2:37 pm

HEHEHEH anti-pasta…you are so PUNNY!! Gotta love a nice pun. Myself, i am very…pro-pasta! ๐Ÿ˜€

I went to that goofy place too…and got an INSANE candy apple. MMM I cant stop thinking about it!

36 Ross February 16, 2012 at 4:37 pm

The expo looks like great fun! Was there another one this year?
Ross recently posted..Beginner Half Marathon Training Plans