The Calm Before the Storm

by Meghann on January 7, 2010

It suddenly hit me this is my last moments of ‘me’ time before the marathon weekend madness officially hits tomorrow.

Check out my weekend schedule:

Friday

• 6:00 am – 6:30 am: Final 3 mile training run
  • 8:00 am – 3:30 pm: Work
  • 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm: Marathon Expo with the Sis
  • 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm: Dinner with Sabrina (!!)
  • 8:00 pm – 11:00 pm: Avatar with Derek

Saturday

• 8:00 am – 9:00 am: Last minute packing
  • 9:30 am – 11:00 am: Drop Maddie off with my little Bro
  • 12:30 am – 2:00 pm: Blogger Lunch
  • 2:00 pm – 5:00 pm: Check into hotel
  • 5:30 pm – 8:00 pm: Dinner
  • 8:00 pm: BED

Sunday

• 3:00 am: Alarm
  • 3:30 am: Bus to starting line
  • 5:40 am – 10:00 am: MARATHON!!
  • 11:00 am: CELEBRATION!!! πŸ™‚

Madness, right?

The crazy part is I left a lot of details out of the make shift schedule. This weekend is going to be non-stop, but boy is it going to be so much fun! I feel like its Christmas all over again.

I may have been going a little crazy talking everyone’s ear off about the marathon at the office as well. I’m sure they are ready for me to race this race as much as I am.

While chit chatting I had some carrots and almond butter.

And a bite of my co-worker’s brownie. (Hi Shelley!)

A big sales meeting is happening today and tomorrow, so our office is filled with left over meeting treats. I also managed to nab some bites of cucumber, tomato and strawberry on a couple of kitchen visits. I guess I was just feeling snacky today?

I had some fish that was on its last leg and needed to be cooked for dinner or thrown away.

I dipped the fish in an egg wash and then coated it with a mix of almond meal, flax seed, whole wheat bread crumbs, and various spices. The fish was baked at 415 for 12 minutes.

There was so much breading and egg left over! I was suddenly inspired to make hush puppies.

I combined the remaining breading mixes into little balls then fried them on the stove top until they were golden brown (or you know a little burnt).

Perfection

Oven baked fish

Hush Puppy (these came out amazing!)

Steamed brussel sprouts

Yucca fries with ketchup

The yucca fries were baked at the same temp at the fish, but were in the oven for about 10 minutes longer.

I broke down yesterday and told my sister I would pay her to clean my apartment. It felt so good to come home to a sparkling apartment this afternoon! No more boxes, no more clothes needing to be put away and my bed is actually made!

Kelly was also kind enough to leave me a little surprise in my fridge – a piece of my Daddy’s birthday cake that I had missed yesterday!!

My Mom made my Dad a homemade cookie cake and I was bummed I missed out on it. Didn’t it look yummy? Go Mom!

20259_1294040198398_1452104078_782598_1271091_n.jpg

20259_1294040118396_1452104078_782596_4775222_n.jpg

I had my piece for dessert. Delish!

Some running clothes are finishing up in the dryer. I think I may just bring every piece of running clothing I own to Disney with me and decide what I’m going to wear once I get there. πŸ˜‰

Good Night!!

1 blueberrymuffins January 7, 2010 at 10:34 pm

Awww you have an amazing sister- I will for sore be using my sister to do the same. Family <3

2 Evan Thomas January 7, 2010 at 10:38 pm

I love the idea of almond meal crusted fish. I always see that at TJs but never know what to do with it

3 caronae January 7, 2010 at 10:44 pm

I love cookie cakes and have always wanted to make one! Now I’m inspired!

4 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad January 7, 2010 at 10:48 pm

Cookie cake is my favorite food ever. Forget regular cake, I have a cookie cake for my b-day every year!

5 MegaNerd January 7, 2010 at 10:50 pm

I think the last buses run at 3:55am? Gaaah.

6 lindsayruns January 7, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Oh my gosh, homemade! What a great idea! And that frosting looks professional. Good luck fitting it all in! Sleep tight tonight!

7 Jenna January 7, 2010 at 11:05 pm

Wow! What a busy busy weekend!
Dinner looks great- I love fish! What exactly are hush puppies!?
Omg that cookie cake looks soooo good! I can’t believe your mom made that!!
Your too funny you made Kelly clean your appt;)
jenna

8 inmytummy January 7, 2010 at 11:08 pm

Yum cookie cake.

If I had a sister nearby, I’d totally pay her to clean my house. Hell, I’d pay just about anyone to clean it so I don’t have to do it!

Good luck this weekend.

9 Heather Eats Almond Butter January 7, 2010 at 11:16 pm

Best of luck in your race this weekend Meghann!!!!

10 Melissa S. January 7, 2010 at 11:19 pm

hahaha…i can’t believe your sister agreed to be paid to clean your apt! that’s hilarious…

and it looks like i’m going to be in orlando by dinner time. I should be leaving gainesville by around 1 at the latest and in orlando by 3ish…we’ll see how traffic goes. should i bum around orlando till you get back from the expo (and am i still welcome for din din? πŸ˜‰ )

can’t wait!

11 Christy January 7, 2010 at 11:28 pm

Wow, that cookie cake is awesome! It looks soo good for being homemade!

12 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) January 7, 2010 at 11:59 pm

Cookie cake is the best – soooo good! It’s awesome that your sister was able to clean up your apartment, that’s so sweet!

13 Amy January 8, 2010 at 12:22 am

I think you are the one person who can make brussel sprouts look like the most amazing thing ever! mmm…

14 April January 8, 2010 at 12:30 am

I apologize if this is a really dumb question and I am missing something obvious but I’m wondering why you are staying in a hotel this weekend? (I thought you lived in Orlando and the disney marathon was also in orlando?)

That cookie cake looks amazing

15 Meghann January 8, 2010 at 6:50 am

I’m staying at a hotel because Disney is 45 minutes from my apartment and the way Disney is set up they make it easier for you to stay on property. They have buses to shovel everyone to and from the start line and it’s just one less head ache to deal with. πŸ™‚

16 Danielle January 8, 2010 at 12:38 am

Everything looks yummy πŸ™‚
Yay for cleaning the apartment (that was nice of your sister). I actually like cleaning lol. If someone offered to pay, I’d do it in a heartbeat. Screw college…

17 Run Sarah January 8, 2010 at 2:08 am

Cookie cakes are the best – that looks delish!

18 Gina January 8, 2010 at 2:12 am

Good Luck this weekend! I know you will finish strong! Go get em’!

19 Courtney January 8, 2010 at 2:23 am

Can’t wait for a fun and busy weekend!

20 foodfitnessandfreya January 8, 2010 at 3:33 am

what on earth are yucca fries? They look like pasnips! That fish thing sounds tasty too, what sort of fish was it? So much healthier to do struff like that at home rather than buying breaded fish πŸ™‚ Have a good evening!
(:O you must be SO excited about the marathon! I would be πŸ™‚ good luck!)

21 universitycooking January 8, 2010 at 7:19 am

Carrots and almond butter…i’m putting that on my list of things i need to try.

22 allisonisactive January 8, 2010 at 7:53 am

Ooh, you must be staying at a Disney hotel for the race. That is one of my favorite parts of racing at Disney! (Living in Florida like you, we usually take day trips, but we turn race weekends into longer events.) We stayed at Caribbean Beach Resort in October for Race for the Taste, and are staying at Port Orleans Riverside in March for the Princess. Staying at the hotels is super fun, and the buses are very reliable ways to get to the right place at the right time!

23 Lindsay January 8, 2010 at 9:21 am

Your sister is awesome πŸ™‚
Good luck with the marathon!!! I know you will ROCK it!

24 Britt @ Runnerbelle January 8, 2010 at 9:24 am

Definitely bring some options! My last marathon I was basically finalizing my outfit as I dropped off my bag at the bag check area. But it was the perfect outfit for the day! (especially after I warmed up and tossed my throw away clothes)

25 fitandfortysomething January 8, 2010 at 9:30 am

You sound so excited! I am excited for you……I know you are gonna have a great race.

26 slowmiles January 8, 2010 at 9:34 am

Have fun at the marathon this weekend! I can’t wait to read everyone’s recaps!

27 kirsten January 8, 2010 at 9:35 am

that cake looks so good!! good luck at the marathon!! I can’t wait to read about it! πŸ™‚

28 Heather January 8, 2010 at 9:43 am

Marathon’s just around the corner!! I’m getting excited for you haha! I love the idea of the hush puppies– I always seem to have leftover breading/coating.

29 jenngirl January 8, 2010 at 10:28 am

Such a fun weekend! I know you’re both nervous and excited.

Homemade cookie cake sounds awesome, very sweet of Kelly to leave you some πŸ™‚

30 Ali January 8, 2010 at 12:38 pm

WOW!!!! You are busy! But it is all fun things, right? Oh except the alarm going off at 3am…not so fun! That was nice of Kelly to bring you the cake πŸ™‚ I can’t wait to read all the Marathon recaps!

31 meyergirl January 8, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Is it ridiculous that I would never have thought to make a cookie cake at home? πŸ™‚

32 caitsplate January 8, 2010 at 2:45 pm

I just have to say that I’m so inspired and impressed with how creative you are with food. It really motivates me to experiment more in the kitchen (or follow every recipe you have! haha).

Also – do you know the song “Calm Before the Storm” Fall Out Boy? You should listen to it πŸ™‚