Bound to Happen

by Meghann on January 7, 2010

I was bound to happen sooner or later.

After a year and a half of running around my neighborhood with my gate key in my sports bra, today is the day it finally bit the dust.

I made it back to my complex after a very chilly 4 miler and discovered the gate key was missing from my person. I double backed and did a quick look through of where I had ran, but I was running late and the gate key was  no where in sight.

RIP gate key! It’s ok, I understand I tortured you by shoving you in my sports bra every morning. I hope you’re in a better place now – perhaps one that doesn’t involve my sweaty boobs? 😉

I plan to grab a new key at lunch time. Let’s cross our fingers it doesn’t cost me an arm and a leg to replicate!

Originally I wanted to be original for lunch, but honestly all I was craving was cereal and yogurt so that is what I went with for the 4th day this week. 🙂

IMG_5431

IMG_5426

I made sure to eat my cold cereal with a very hot cup of water. 🙂

Check out the latest forecast for this weekend’s marathon.

marathonweather

I believe this weekend will be the coldest one in record in like 20 years for central Florida. Perfect time to run a marathon, right? 😉

1 eaternotarunner January 7, 2010 at 10:11 am

Awww that is too bad! At least you had a delicious breakfast 🙂

2 Brittany January 7, 2010 at 10:14 am

I have to ask- how did you get in the gate without the key??

Your breakfast looks superb to me. If I have all those things on hand I would have it 4 days in a row as well. 🙂

3 Meghann January 7, 2010 at 10:20 am

I waited for a car to leave the complex and ran in before the gate closed. 🙂

4 Casey (SpicyandSweet) January 7, 2010 at 10:19 am

Your frozen yogurt looks delish Meghann :). Yikes that is cold for Florida! Whip out those PJs while you can!

5 Amy January 7, 2010 at 10:21 am

Sorry about the chilly weather for the race! We’re getting blasted by snow at the moment, but all the local forecasters would rather discuss the Florida weather instead! They keep telling stories of the poor iguanas getting so cold they’re falling out of the trees…

6 Britt @ Runnerbelle January 7, 2010 at 10:23 am

Well in some ways its better than that really HOT year they had back in 2007. I think it was like 80 degrees at the start in the dark. (at least I think colder weather is better than that!)

Don’t let the weather freak you out too much, it can always change. I tried to remain calm in 2008 I think it was when they almost cancelled the Boston Marathon due to a nor’ easter. In the end the weather wasn’t that bad, just a littlet wet, and I ran a PR!!

7 Danielle January 7, 2010 at 10:30 am

haha I had to read the second line over and over until I got it. “with my gate in my sports bra.” I was thinking what gate in her bra??

8 Ironlady January 7, 2010 at 10:35 am

I’ve run a marathon in chilly weather like that I got one of my PRs. You’ll warm up pretty quickly and it might actually make the run feel better. Good luck!

9 Jenna January 7, 2010 at 10:40 am

Yummy bowl of cerel!
Looks pretty chili this weekend! Is that good or bad for ya?!
Jenna

10 Sarah W. January 7, 2010 at 10:42 am

things fall out of sports bras. bad idea, especially with keys. is it a normal key like for doors and stuff – if so, I loop it onto my shoelaces and it stays put and doesn’t bounce. if its a card like a credit card – utlize your lululemons and put it in the pocket! hope these tips help! thats why I heart lulu – their awesome pockets!

11 foodfitnessandfreya January 7, 2010 at 10:46 am

Ah cereal for a meal outside of breakfast always feels like such a treat 😛 I had it for dinner the other night and it was amazing 😀 I think cereal is the best food. Ever..
Bad luck about your key btw 🙁

12 Rachel January 7, 2010 at 10:53 am

There are little pockets you can buy to put on your shoes for keys, cards, and other small things. Probably a good idea to invest in something now that this has happened.

It was in the 20s here when I drove to work & school this morning at 7:30AM! Hate the winter 🙁

13 RhodeyGirlTests January 7, 2010 at 11:08 am

PB used to tie his key to the drawstring in his shorts. One day it fell off. Keys are still MIA! The replacement key FOB was only $25, thank goodness!

Did you get the froyo by yourself? Who took the photos of you!!!

14 Erin January 7, 2010 at 11:09 am

I have a friend in Orlando this weekend and she thought she was escaping the cold by going down there — instead, she’s freezing as much as at home!

15 Meghann January 7, 2010 at 11:12 am

Probably should have mentioned my gate key is a swipeable key shaped like a credit card, which is why I put it in my sports bra. I say out of so many hundreds of runs, to have it fall out now isn’t so bad. 🙂

16 Molly January 7, 2010 at 11:20 am

ah good luck with the cold marathon! You’ll do great no matter what 🙂

17 biz319 January 7, 2010 at 11:32 am

I thought of you this morning – I had the news on to confirm that Hannah’s school was closed because of the winter storm, and then they went to Orlando and showed all the frozen orange plants – no! And then I thought – “it’s not going to warm up too much for Meghann’s marathon!”

Maybe the cooler temps will help your time??

18 Whitney @ Lettuce Love January 7, 2010 at 11:35 am

Haha I always put my key in my bar too!

19 theprocessofhealing January 7, 2010 at 11:39 am

Oh wow, how scary!! I always had to find creative ways to stash my house key on my runs and I remember once not realizing I locked my door and left my key inside until after my run.. what a nightmare!

20 inmytummy January 7, 2010 at 11:46 am

At least you won’t overheat this weekend, just look at it that way!

When I lived in an apt, I used to keep my gate key in my bra too.

21 Laura Georgina January 7, 2010 at 11:47 am

I put my key in my bra and in my pants pocket sometimes, but I always pin it with a safety pin on the outside. I lost my keys once and had to wait forty five minutes to get into my house in 30 degree weather, so I learned my lesson 🙂

22 Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen January 7, 2010 at 11:51 am

i love that you mentioned sweaty boobs on here…that’s hilarious! i usually tie my keys to my shoelaces…if that helps at all 🙂

23 Marissa January 7, 2010 at 11:52 am

What a bummer! At least you had a delicious breakfast!

24 Sammi January 7, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I don’t carry a key on me at all during my runs! To get in the house I just use the keypad on the garage and then the hidden key to get in the house. That would be a different story if we had a gate though. Did you end up just jumping the gate or something?

At least it won’t be raining!

25 Nicole January 7, 2010 at 12:22 pm

I would kill for 40 degree weather! I can’t relate to you FL bloggers talking down about your weather. I live where we have four seasons; having 4-5 months of ice and snow is no picnic to run in.

26 Teresa January 7, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Hey Meghann,
Just wanted to try and help with your outfit for this weekend. I ran the Memphis Marathon in December and it was about exactly the same weather. Just below 30 at the 8am start and a little above 40 at the finish.
I wore running capris, a long sleeve Nike dri-fit shirt and a $3 throwawayjacket from Goodwill. I also wore a headband and gloves. Don’t underestimate how quickly you’ll warm up. I’d hate for you to have to throw your nice Lulu jacket to the side!! I threw my $3 fleece to the side at about mile 6 and never regretted it. I was wamred up by then and the sun was SHINING so I never really got cold. Hope this helps!
BTW, I was TOTALLY freaking out about what to wear, too!
Teresa

27 Ali January 7, 2010 at 12:40 pm

WOW! That is cold! I hope replacing you key is cheap!

28 Karla January 7, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Sorry to hear about your gate key! I hope you can easily get a new one!

29 Ashley Jackson January 7, 2010 at 1:09 pm

I can’t imagine running with a gate card in my sports bra–I’d be constantly worried about it falling out! I always either run in my pants that have a zippered pocket in the back, in my athletic jacket that has zippered pockets, or I take my MP3 player armband (with or without the MP3 player) so I have someplace to put my keys. (The armband also has $5 in it, as incentive for that day that I can run far enough to make it to a store on my run–I’m buying myself a celebratory bottle of water on that day!)

Hope you can get it replaced without too much expense or hassle!

30 Loretta @ RunRettaRun January 7, 2010 at 1:19 pm

May I ask why you drink the cup of hot water before running? Is it because it’s cold out? I have a run on Saturday morning and it will probably be in the low 20s. I am curious if I should be doing this?

31 meyergirl January 7, 2010 at 1:30 pm

At least you’ve had a couple of weeks to try to get used to running in the cold. Hope that helps!

32 yellowturtleruns January 7, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Good luck on Sunday! My friend and I will be running the Disney full as well. It’s been very cold training in Virginia, and with the cold spell now in Florida we can rule out overheating as a potential issue.

When all else fails, use your spibelt! 🙂

33 Juli D. January 7, 2010 at 1:43 pm

I ran a half this past October in Michigan and it was about 30 degrees for the duration of the run. I think 40 degrees would be perfect marathon weather – my main recommendation for dealing with the cold is cover your ears and cover your fingers! I would rather wear shorts and and a tank top in 30 degrees than sacrifice my ears and fingers – they actually hurt if I don’t keep them covered in the cold. Good luck finding the perfect outfit – consider going to Goodwill to buy some throw away layers!

34 Chelsea January 7, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Oh that sucks about the gate key AND the weather 🙁

35 timetochangeme January 7, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Hey Meghan would it be possible to like flip under your sports bra so it would kind of hold the key in better? I dk if you get what I’m saying, sorry also i guess that might be uncomfortable..

36 runningaroundnormal January 7, 2010 at 2:54 pm

That sucks you lost the gate key!
And I can’t believe this marathon. A person I know (here in IL) is going down there to do the Goofy Challenge, and can’t believe it’s this cold! Craziness!

37 Jamie January 7, 2010 at 3:14 pm

haha RIP gate key. I always get so nervous putting my key in weird places but at least you made it this far!

38 M January 7, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Meghann, do you know what corral you have been placed in? Will the Disney cast members come after me with pitchforks if I move up one corral? (It’s a time I can finish in, i swear! But i don’t want to get in anyone’s way or piss off anyone, either, so staying put is understandable.)

39 Meghann January 7, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Typically you can move into a slower corral, but not a faster corral. You can also request to move up at the expo.

40 M January 7, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Thanks, Meghann. I already went to the expo and was moved up, but i had no idea what the placement meant. (Neither did the race relation person.)

I have all sub 2-hour halfs and I want to run between 4-4:15, like you, but those pace setters are in an entirely different corral in an entirely different place. (They’re not right next to each other!)

41 fromatopink January 7, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Looks like a yummy breakfast to me! And that IS cold for Florida! Good luck this weekend 🙂

42 Megan January 7, 2010 at 4:27 pm

I’ve run 2 half marathons (so far). One was in November iin the midwest and was in the 40’s. The other was in the middle of June in the midwest and was in the 80’s-90’s the last 6 miles. MUCH preferred the cooler weather!

Buy a cheap sweatshirt and throw it to the curb after a couple of miles. Same goes for gloves and a hat.

Good luck.

43 Tami January 7, 2010 at 5:36 pm

why can’t you “hide” that little thing or a key some place around

44 M January 7, 2010 at 5:40 pm

They are selling bras with boob pockets at the expo!

45 jenngirl January 7, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Sorry about your key! At least you weren’t completely locked out!

46 katajess January 8, 2010 at 4:44 am

Haha at the key in the bra. I think my poor Ipod is dying because I work out with it slipped into the top of my sports bra.. I can’t imagine how cold you must be! Living in Australia has it’s perks. 😀