more ยป" />

Self Serve Comes to Florida

by Meghann on January 6, 2010

My mission to find a new outfit for the marathon on Sunday was a total fail. :(

Honestly, I am still unsure of what exactly I’m looking for. I tried a few items on at Sports Authority and Target, but nothing felt right. I still have my fingers crossed to find something at the expo on Saturday, otherwise I believe my black capris and the yellow shape Lululemon jacket with a tank underneath will work just fine. :)

Before my shopping adventure I fueled up on some pretzel nubbins

and after I made a delicious hot soup to warm myself up

The soup was something I threw together relatively quickly and came out quite delicious if I do say so myself. ;)

Spicy Calabaza Soup

• 1/2 Calabaza, cubed
  • 1 Red Onion, diced
  • 1 Sweet Potato, cubed
  • 1 Apple, cubed
  • 3 cups Vegetable Broth
  • 1 T Curry powder
  • 1 T Red Pepper Flakes
  • 2 t Garlic Powder
  • 1 T Paprika
  • S & P

In a medium soup pot sautee the onion with the calabaza, sweet potato, and apple. Once the onions are translucent add the vegetable broth and spices. Bring to a boil for a couple of minutes, then to a simmer for 20 minutes. Use immersion blender to smooth and enjoy!

I topped my serving with cashews and raisins. Yum!

Paired with some leftover rice & beans and toast.

During my shopping adventure I noticed a new frozen yogurt cafe that had recently opened in the area.

You know I HAD to go back for dessert!

I was ecstatic to discover Berrywise Cafe was a self serve frozen yogurt place!

When I visited San Diego in May I couldn’t get enough of the incredible self serve frozen yogurt. It was a new concept that I had never seen before. They are just now starting to pop up in Florida and I am very happy one had opened right in my area.

I went a little crazy filling the cup. (let’s just not mention what the total was ;) )

I couldn’t deside what color spoon I wanted, so I went with both. :) And despite the freezing weather I enjoyed every delicious, frozen bite! Yum!

Now, I am thawing myself out with hot tea and a good book. Target had all their Christmas flannel jammies marked down today, so I picked up a warm comfy pair. It may only be cold enough to wear these this week, but even so the purchase was still totally worth it.

Good Night!

1 blueberrymuffins January 6, 2010 at 10:47 pm

WOW! That self serve looks amazing!

2 Jennifer January 6, 2010 at 11:10 pm

I’m not a runner, but have a daughter that plays soccer in cool weather. Have you thought about some sort of Under Armor? It’s a bit price-y, but it keeps you warm while wicking away the perspiration. Just a thought……

3 Meghann January 7, 2010 at 10:02 am

I have a pair of underarmor pants that I may wear on Sunday actually :)

4 Runtothefinish January 6, 2010 at 11:25 pm

Ohhhh plllllease open in miami

5 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad January 6, 2010 at 11:27 pm

We never get cool places like this in SC. So unfair… :-(

6 Julie January 6, 2010 at 11:31 pm

i wish i had a place like that!!

I gave you a shout out on my blog :-) I recreated your chili fries!

7 Katie O. @ Fit to Wed January 6, 2010 at 11:36 pm

self-serve froyo sounds amazing- so jealous! I’m sure you’ll be fine with your gear. Are you going to bring a pair of throwaway gloves? I always warm up after a few minutes when running in 30-40* weather but my hands generally stay cold!

Can’t wait to read how you rock the marathon! :)

8 Maura January 6, 2010 at 11:38 pm

I love how you throw together recipes on a whim. Recently I had a ton of veggies and random ingredients lying around, and I totally channeled your blog and your ability to throw together yumminess in a bowl!

9 Sarah January 6, 2010 at 11:42 pm

Ahh you should know better – never do anything new for a race (especially a marathon)! That includes wearing new clothes!

10 Jenna January 6, 2010 at 11:43 pm

Soup looks great but I think the fro yo looks ecen better! I am super jealous! You guys have all the cool hot spots in FL!!
jenna

11 caronae January 7, 2010 at 12:23 am

I can’t find any self-serve fro yo in NY!! I’m jealous :)

12 katie January 7, 2010 at 12:36 am

Meghann, I fell in love with this UnderArmour race top:

I’ve wore it to my last 15 K. It’s super comfortable, doesn’t ride, and has a side zipper. Plus, it makes me look MIGHTY fine! Nothing wrong with a little body confidence before the big day.

13 Meghann January 7, 2010 at 10:03 am

Thanks!

14 Courtney January 7, 2010 at 12:38 am

Was that Derrick with you taking photos? :] Always helpful to have someone shopping with you when you’re a bit stressed out/excited about/ the event, I think!

15 jenngirl January 7, 2010 at 12:40 am

I have never heard of self-serve frozen yogurt places! That sounds awesome. I would definitely need to drink tea to warm up afterwards too, but I’m sure it would be worth a few chills ;)

16 Jamie January 7, 2010 at 12:44 am

Self serve froyo is the best creation ever. I still eat it during the sub-0 degree weather here in NY!

17 bobbi January 7, 2010 at 12:47 am

Hubby and I discussed tonight about moving to a random college town that dosent have soft serve and opening one! We would make a fortune!!!

18 Karla January 7, 2010 at 2:48 am

I love self-serve yogurt places! We have Yogurtland in California! It’s fantastic!

19 thefitbridesmaid January 7, 2010 at 2:57 am

Not related to FroYo at all (though yum, would love a self serve . . .)

Saw this on cnn and thought of your rant the other day about the Drive Thru Diet

My favorite part is the last paragraph:

“It’s the Drive-Thru Diet. That’s what I think is funny,” said dietitian Blake, a nutrition professor at Boston University. “I have to chuckle. One of the issues perpetuating weight problems is that we’re more sedentary than ever. We shouldn’t be going to the drive-through. At least park the car and walk in and get it.”

20 Meghann January 7, 2010 at 10:03 am

I read that the other day too. I thought it was a great article

21 newlynutritionalbritt January 7, 2010 at 2:58 am

I wish we had a Fro Yo up in PA! Even if it’s freezing out I would still go for fro yo on the regular. =P

22 Ellie January 7, 2010 at 3:13 am

I’m an infrequent commenter but daily reader–sorry if this sounds creepy but you look GREAT in those jeans! Seriously. And I’m so jealous of a self-serve frozen yogurt place!

23 Meghann January 7, 2010 at 10:04 am

Thanks! They are new jeans actually so its nice to hear :)

24 foodfitnessandfreya January 7, 2010 at 5:28 am

Raisins in a soup, that’s a good idea! I bet of they’re left in there they get all juicy :)
Likewise with the above comment – without sounding like a weirdo, you look AMAZING in your jeans! I think I’ll officially add you to my Body Envy list!
I wish the concept of frozen yogurt would come to England..it looks so good, espec with the amount of toppings you guys get! wowza :)

25 Hangry Pants January 7, 2010 at 8:02 am

I like your cute yellow jacket! Berrywise … please come to NJ!

26 Erin January 7, 2010 at 8:08 am

If you go with the capris, you might want to use some throwaway tube socks as legwarmers. (Just cut the foot part off.) You can always ditch them part way through the race once you’re all warmed up!

27 Whitney @ Lettuce Love January 7, 2010 at 8:54 am

That places looks like fun! I would have such a hard time deciding on toppings — I would have a little of everything :)

28 inmytummy January 7, 2010 at 9:29 am

I told my boyfriend that I wanted frozen yogurt the other night and he looked at me like I was crazy. It’s good in any temperature. Besides, it’s warm inside while you are eating it.

29 madisonruns January 7, 2010 at 9:31 am

Very jealous of the self-serve fro yo place. I have never been to one. :-(

30 Britt @ Runnerbelle January 7, 2010 at 9:36 am

I’d stick with the clothes you know. I love capris, they are so great for when you cannot decide on shorts or pants. I have run so many races in my cheapie target capris, but they are awesome!

31 Heather January 7, 2010 at 10:05 am

Ah I wish I could find a self-serve fro you place- I’m dying to try it out!!

32 amanda @ fake ginger January 7, 2010 at 10:09 am

Oh man, the rice & beans look awesome and so does the yogurt. I want self serve yogurt!

33 Amy January 7, 2010 at 10:43 am

Good luck this weekend!
p.s. You look really skinny!!!!!

34 eaternotarunner January 7, 2010 at 10:58 am

That looks so awesome! I wish we had that here!

35 Tammy Eros January 7, 2010 at 11:10 am

You’ve run a marathon before, right? “They” always say not to try something new the day of the race, maybe better to stick with the “tried and true”, when it comes to your wardrobe?

36 Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen January 7, 2010 at 11:52 am

girl, you are lookin’ TINY! i’d love to have a self-serve place like that here…although, I don’t know if I could stop myself from eating there too frequently :)

37 DiningAndDishing January 7, 2010 at 11:58 am

We neeeed a good fro yo place in DC. Yours looks amazing!!

- Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

38 Ali January 7, 2010 at 1:07 pm

annnnnnd now I want frozen yogurt!

39 Rachel January 7, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Wow! That yogurt looks amazing. I wonder if there are any self serve froyo shops near where I live… I didn’t even know the existed!

40 Evan Thomas January 7, 2010 at 1:34 pm

That frozen yogurt looks SO GOOD. It’s making me rethink eating “real food” for lunch and raiding the freezer for ice cream

41 meyergirl January 7, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Last summer we had one of those yogurt places open in Norfolk, but I don’t know if they’ll make it through the winter. :( I haven’t been by lately to see if they’re still open. I hope so because I hit it up ALL the time when it was hot.

42 Amber@theminimalistdiaries January 7, 2010 at 2:34 pm

I looove self serve frozen yogurt. I think they trick you though with the HUGE cup. I can never get just a little – it looks so sad in that huge cup! I totally had to google “calabaza” – the soup looks delish!

43 missy January 7, 2010 at 2:50 pm

that fro yo looks yummy.
you look rather thin in these pictures, have you lost more weight??
you obviously don’t have to answer, just being nosey. :)