My Candy Cane

by Meghann on January 5, 2010

As I began putting the Christmas tree away this morning, I realized I had gone the whole holiday season without a proper candy cane.

Had to fix that problem. πŸ˜‰

IMG_5272

I’m not that big of a fan of candy canes, but do like to enjoy one at least once during the holiday season.

With the candy cane, I also enjoyed some dried kiwi this morning courtesy of Oh! Nuts.

Love the dried kiwi! I think it tops the list as one of my fave dried fruits. πŸ™‚

Lunch was amazing!

IMG_5273

Brown rice topped with leftover roasted vegetables, hummus, and chia seeds.

IMG_5275

Oh.My.God. YUM!

When it all mixed together the combination reminded me of the food concoction I always created when I got to a Japanese steak house and mix the fried rice with the veggies and the pink/white sauce. Except a whole lot healthier and – I dare say it – a whole lot tastier. πŸ˜‰

IMG_5276

For a sweet ending I had a chocolate dipped apricot

IMG_5280

In other news the current high for Sunday’s race is 49 degrees!!! Yikes! And when the gun goes off at 6:00am its suppose to be 28! I really, really, need to find out what I am going to wear on race day. This is going to be a toughie.

1 Madison January 5, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Good luck figuring out what to wear! I find that to be the most fun part!

Layers, layers, layers!

2 kristen January 5, 2010 at 2:58 pm

For disposable arm warmers, I go out an buy knee socks (my favourite pattern is pink, black, and white argyle with a skull and cross-bones in the middle…) at the dollar store and then cut the toes off of them. Alternatively, you can keep the toes on, and just cut a thumb hole in the side and they’ll fit over your hands like mittens…(although I just buy little black gloves at $1 for two pairs)

Good luck!

3 julia January 5, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Good luck! I’m stressing about what to wear for the half and I live in Boston, so I am used to cold weather running! I’m mostly just worried about the downtime before the race actually starts…standing around in the cold for over an hour is not going to be fun.

4 pickyeaterruns January 5, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Oh I need to dry some dried kiwi, yum!

I know what you mean. I’m doing the half and have NO clue what I’ll be wearing. Standing around outside in the cold at 4am is not going to be fun. I may need to go pick up a sweatshirt to toss after the start at Walmart today.

5 Casey January 5, 2010 at 3:06 pm

I’m right there with you on the candy cane issue :). They aren’t my favorite, but if I don’t have one at Christmas it just doesn’t feel like Christmas! Hehe.

6 JW January 5, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Brrr..Its cold here in Alabama too! Hope you find something nice and warm for your race. Also, do you think you could talk Kelly into writing a race review post as well?

7 caronae January 5, 2010 at 3:31 pm

A chocolate dipped apricot sounds really tasty!

8 Megan January 5, 2010 at 3:56 pm

OMg…thats like legit winter…when i checkedyesterday it said low of 37…this is even worse!!! what to wear what to wear!!?

hopefully we’ll be finisehd before it starts warming up…

9 megan January 5, 2010 at 3:56 pm

figuring out what to wear always makes me nervous for races. I’m always scared of being too cold! my last race I made the decision to wear my rain gear at the last second, and it ended up pouring the whole 6 miles! so that made me feel good about myself πŸ™‚ good luck!

10 Evan Thomas January 5, 2010 at 3:58 pm

If I had had the money, I probably would have chosen Disney for a destination marathon thinking I’d be getting away from New England chill. That’s crazy how cold it will be

11 Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen January 5, 2010 at 4:01 pm

great combo with the veggies! you are going to kick butt at the race…just make sure to layer a lot and you’ll be fine! πŸ™‚

12 maggie January 5, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Just to help get you in the right frame of mind, a recent study suggested that 40 degrees is the ideal temperature for your body when running a marathon!

Good luck, I’m sure you’ll rock it!

13 Jenna January 5, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Glad you enjoyed your one candy cane πŸ˜‰
yummy lunch!

14 Chelsea January 5, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Looks like I was wrong about it warming up πŸ™

Your lunch looks SO good as does the apricot.

15 Emily January 5, 2010 at 4:11 pm

I agree with you that getting started in the cold is much worse than actually running in it. Definitely lots of layers for the marathon. Assuming Derek (and/or your family will watch, you could arrange to run by them at certain points and ditch a layer with them.
I’m sure you’ll be great whatever the temperature is!

16 meyergirl January 5, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Brr…that’s rough having to run in conditions you’re not used to. You’ll rock it, though, I’m sure!

P.S. I’m giving away a Built Neoprene Lunch Tote on my blog: http://lovinlosing.com

17 caitsplate January 5, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Holy yum, that lunch looks AMAZING. I love hummus and roasted veggies. SO GOOD!

18 Dawn January 5, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Layers! Here’s what I would wear/bring:

-Light running pants or capris
-Long-sleeved tech shirt
-Light cotton gloves
-Earband
-Long-sleeved cotton t-shirt to be tossed to the side after the race start
-Possibly a sweatshirt or jacket to wear when I first get there that will end up in gear check

It’ll be a little rough waiting at the start, but you’ll be fine once you get moving. Good luck!

19 Megan (The Runner's Kitchen) January 5, 2010 at 4:29 pm

I’m sold on the chia seeds – they look so good! I’m going to pick some up tonight.

I know that 49 degrees *seems* cold, but 50 degrees is actually optimal weather for marathoning! For ever degree over 60, your body has to work harder and the pace slows. I bet you’ll run super fast!! πŸ™‚

20 Whit January 5, 2010 at 4:35 pm

OMG, the cold! I hate it…28 is what it was at the beginning of my race, but it never broke 30 I do not believe. I’ll be prayin’ for ya!

21 Britt @ Runnerbelle January 5, 2010 at 4:52 pm

before the race
-lots of layers
-throw away clothes to keep you warm to the start

after the race
-in your checked bag put a change of WARM clothes (don’t rely on finding family, that can take so long sometimes)
-also in my bag I usually put baby wipes (get the salty sweat off your face), deoderant, change of shoes, cell phone

when I have a hard time deciding what to wear I go to the runnersworld.com “What Should I Wear?” feature. You can plug in the temp, the wind, how sunny it is and how you like to feel when you run. It usually helps me get a realistic idea of what I really will need once I start running.

22 rungirlrunn January 5, 2010 at 4:54 pm

brrr that’s chilly! You’ll warm up quickly though!!

23 Erin January 5, 2010 at 5:16 pm

I love all things peppermint and don’t mind candycanes, but I never choose to eat them. Guess I went the entire Christmas season without one, too.

24 Ali January 5, 2010 at 5:29 pm

I come from the school of thought that hummus makes anything taste good πŸ˜‰ Yikes that is a cold temp for the race! Good Luck, my last race was a cold one!

25 Christy January 5, 2010 at 5:39 pm

28* at the beginning of the race! yikes! @ least you won’t over heat πŸ˜€

26 qcollins January 5, 2010 at 5:50 pm

You weren’t kidding when you said it was chilly down there!

27 Lauren January 5, 2010 at 6:11 pm

Your lunch does look delicious. I love rice and roasted veggies…so satisfying! I’ve never had dried kiwi…sounds interesting. Good look at your race. I recommend lots of layers!

28 angnxd January 5, 2010 at 6:17 pm

You lunch looks so yummy! I totally do the same thing with candy canes, my husband loves them so I bought him a box and took one and I was done for the year!

29 eaternotarunner January 5, 2010 at 6:47 pm

That looks SO good! Love anything with brussels πŸ™‚

30 Lisa @bakebikeblog January 5, 2010 at 7:37 pm

oooh that is one awesome looking lunch. I love roast vegies!!!!

31 Rachel January 5, 2010 at 8:54 pm

That chocolate dipped apricot looks really, really good. Where did you get those?

32 pen January 5, 2010 at 10:09 pm

as others said, that’s actually ideal for fast marathoning…my suggestion is arm warmers. I did the philly marathon (in about the same temps) in shorts and a tank and arm warmers. you get really warm by mile 4 or 5. Oh, and gloves too. But I chucked those at my dad in the sidelines at the 10K mark.

33 Gelareh @ Orange Truffle January 5, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Your lunch does look amazing.. I love dried apricots.. I bet the chocolate dipped dried apricot was great.

34 Heather January 6, 2010 at 1:20 am

i would wear shorts and a short sleeve top or light long sleeves w/a tank (could always tie the shirt around your waist). I would also wear an old long sleeve shirt to toss once you warm up. Maybe a pair of gloves to toss as well. I did this for my marathon with very similar conditions, and it was perfect. This is coming from a girl who is used to colder climates, and right now 48* seems kinda warm to me!