Frigid Temps

by Meghann on January 5, 2010

Poor Maddie.

I woke up in the middle of the night to poor Maddie shivering beside me. While I had the luxury of draping myself with three blankets, Maddie refused to join me under them. (I think she has a fear of finding her self trapped under them)

I got up and dressed her in her little pink sweater, her coat and threw a towel in the dryer to give her something warm to lay on. I think she slept much better after that. :)

When my alarm did go off at 5:30 it was 55 degrees inside my apartment (36 degrees outisde with wind chill factor of 28!) – yikes! I immediately put the heat on and sipped hot water while slowly getting dressed and ready for my run.

I was dreading running in this frigid air! As a Florida runner, I am never prepared to run in the cold. Originally, I had set out to do 6, right before the run I settled on 4 and once I was out the door I compromised on 5. :)

The 5 weren’t that bad, I think the thought of running in freezing temps is a lot worse than actually running in them.

Breakfast bowl of yumminess

IMG_5264

[me] & goji were kind enough to offer another free sample of their delicious customized cereal for me to sample. (original review found here)

IMG_5242

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – [me] & goji is by far my FAVORITE customized cereal out there! It’s overloaded with the mix-ins of your choice and just a great, well-balanced little company.

I shall call this batch of customized cereal ‘Meghann’s Fruity Crunch’

IMG_5244

Meghann’s Fruity Crunch contains flaxed and flaked, multigrain os, ground nutmeg, ground cinnamon, choco goji, goldenberry, apple, mulberry, chia and walnut,

IMG_5248

My bowl also contained a dollop of preserves I received from Crofter’s Organic.

IMG_5268

Each superfruit spread was very unique in its fruit combinations. I had a tough time deciding which to choose, but ended up with

IMG_5254

IMG_5260

IMG_5269

In other news, my congested head and sore throat are feeling much better now. Nothing like a little humidity to put my head in a better mood. *knock on wood* ;)

1 Naomi(onefitfoodie) January 5, 2010 at 9:57 am

mmm fruity crunch sounds like the perfecr breakfast to warm you up! it sounds so summery and delicious! I totally understand as a FL runner, that 50 can be chilly!! I think its crazy when i see people running here (boston) this time of year outside! I guess if you are dedicated and love it, then its perfect! I just cant imagine

have a great day! glad you are feeling better!

2 pickyeaterruns January 5, 2010 at 10:02 am

When will these temps go away? It’s cold here in SC, too. Glad you got your run in though! That cereal sounds delicious. Going to check out [me] & goji now.

3 caitsplate January 5, 2010 at 10:06 am

We’re totally on the same wavelength. I have a cold as well and I did 5 miles this morning in the cold too! :)

I’m trying to run through this cold in the hopes that it just disappears…not sure that will happen. Haha.

I bet that peppermint ice cream you had last night could cure me right away though…I better pick some up ;)

4 Mara @ What's For Dinner? January 5, 2010 at 10:23 am

Those Crofters spreads are my favorites! I love the Yumberry one :) It’s so funny to me that “cold” there is SO different than cold here! I woke up to an actual temp of 11 degrees outside!

5 Matt January 5, 2010 at 10:29 am

Running in the cold isn’t too bad once you get warmed up. The hardest part is getting out the door and slogging out the first few miles.

6 Monica January 5, 2010 at 10:38 am

Our pup sleeps by the heater vent all day, although it’s probably a teensy bit chillier up here in Michigan than down there. :) Good job on at getting some miles in in the cold weather. I’m attempting to train for a half in March right now, the outdoor running is both my favorite and least favorite part of it. It’s definitely mind over matter until you get out the door and running.

7 Casey January 5, 2010 at 10:45 am

That cereal looks really yummy! I feel you, I can’t run in cold temps…just can’t do it. The high today in Indiana is like 20. YUCK! :)

8 Whitney @ Lettuce Love January 5, 2010 at 10:55 am

Running in the cold is tough. It is in the 20s here — I can’t imagine running outside for several more weeks.

9 starsinthecity January 5, 2010 at 10:56 am

Crofters is my favorite jam ever! I’m hoping it warms up soon too, it’s chilly here!

10 Rosey Rebecca January 5, 2010 at 10:59 am

Haha it’s 24 degrees in NY today. I would love for it to be 55 degrees! I’m coming to Florida!

11 Rachel January 5, 2010 at 11:00 am

Aww, poor Maddie! My dogs are always under blankets in the winter time. I really want to get some customized cereal… I need to put it on my list of things to do!

12 Danielle January 5, 2010 at 11:03 am

Yeah, I think the thought of running in the cold is worse than actually doing it. Glad you’re feeling better :)

13 Emily January 5, 2010 at 11:03 am

I just wanted to let you know that I gave you a blog award – http://eatventures.wordpress.com/2010/01/05/an-award-and-a-giveaway-as-promised

14 foodfitnessandfreya January 5, 2010 at 11:04 am

awh poor Maddie!! She’s lucky to have an owner like you, warming up blankets etc :)
That cereal mix is so cool – I WISH we had stuff like that in England so badly! I was tempted once to ship some across from the States…but I thought that might be a little overboard :s
Do you run when it’s icy? I think that’s sooo much harder than running just when it’s cold, it’s like you put in twice as much as you get out :( I found that out this morning – Worst. Run. Ever.
Have a great day :)

15 RhodeyGirlTests January 5, 2010 at 11:07 am

Awwww poor baby! I honestly never thought dogs get cold! Now I know!

16 RhodeyGirlTests January 5, 2010 at 11:08 am

P.S. good thinking with the warm towel! Sometimes just to be nice I heat up PB’s shower towel in the dryer so it is warm when he gets out!

17 Melissa January 5, 2010 at 11:12 am

that sounds like an amazing goji mix!

18 meyergirl January 5, 2010 at 11:20 am

You’re probably right about the thought being worse than the reality. I should stop whining and suit up for a run outside.

19 Runeatrepeat January 5, 2010 at 11:21 am

Ben has been stuffing clean clothes out of the dryer into his shirt to warm up. That Florida boy is dying here in MD!

20 Orla January 5, 2010 at 11:21 am

Poor little Maddie! I guess our pets are used to the cold here. It’s been about -1 celsius the past few days :(

21 megan January 5, 2010 at 11:23 am

my parents said their dog has been refusing to go on walks recently! They think it’s because of the cold, but as soon as he gets outside, he just wants to turn around and go back!

22 Gina January 5, 2010 at 11:36 am

Aaawww…Maddie is lucky to have a mama like you!

23 Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen January 5, 2010 at 11:39 am

poor maddie! sounds like you got her nice and toasty though :) running outside isn’t always so fun, but it’s great once you get going and you don’t come back like a drenched sweaty mess :)

24 Erin January 5, 2010 at 11:46 am

Glad to hear you’re feeling better. I’m so impressed you get out there in cold weather — during the winter, I’m thankful to have a gym instead. (although my running is slacking off… c’est la vie!)

25 DiningAndDishing January 5, 2010 at 11:55 am

I’ve been looking for a good fruit spread lately. Those look really yummy!

Glad you’re feeling better :O).

- Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

26 biz319 January 5, 2010 at 12:01 pm

To have a wind chill of 28 degrees I wouldn’t even wear a winter coat! Amazing how you can get used to the weather where you live.

Glad your throat is better and I forgot to tell you how bummed I was you didn’t win the Good Feeling blog gig – I voted every day if that counts! :D

27 Lauren January 5, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Those jams looks delectable! I love really good jellies and jams like that. It’s freezing up in DC as well. Really difficult weather to run in that’s for sure.

28 eaternotarunner January 5, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Glad you are feeling better! I definitely want to try that cereal….sounds so fun :-)

29 Ali January 5, 2010 at 12:31 pm

WOW! That is cold! I am used to it here in Boston, but it must be really hard for you to get motivated to run in it in FL. Good job!!!

Poor little cold Maddie, the towel in the dryer is a smart idea!

30 Wendy January 5, 2010 at 12:57 pm

I hear ya on the cold (except I’d KILL for temps that high – it was TWO degrees when I ran yesterday!). It helps if you can get warmed up somehow indoors before heading outside – then the cold shock isn’t quite so bad. Maybe dance around the living room or do some jumping jacks? Yesterday I set out from the gym, so I hopped on the elliptical for ~5 min. first. Just make sure you don’t break a sweat before going out, or you’ll be even colder!

31 Katie O. @ Fit to Wed January 5, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Aww poor little Maddie. My pup loves to burrow/sleep under the covers- it’s so much warmer!

I almost prefer running in the colder (not below 20*) temps. It’s refreshing!

32 Carly January 5, 2010 at 1:25 pm

When I was in PetSmart the other day, I noticed that they make heated dog beds and dog bed warmers (heating pad like things) for regular dog beds. Might be worth looking into to keep that sweet pup warm?

33 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) January 5, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Aw! I hope it warms up for both of you really soon!

34 inmytummy January 5, 2010 at 1:51 pm

I am always so unmotivated to run in the cold. Fortunately, it’s only cold here for maybe 3 months out of the year.

35 goodtastehealthyme January 5, 2010 at 1:52 pm

hmmm I might have to try this me and goji cereal. It looks scrumptious!!! I’m nervous I’ll go through it too fast! LOL

36 Kristine January 5, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Poor Maddie!!! Glad she had the sweater to warm her up! :)

37 caronae January 5, 2010 at 1:59 pm

I tried jam on my oats for the first time this morning! It was quite tasty, although it was just plain raspberry. Happy Tuesday!
PS – I have a blog now!

38 Chelsea January 5, 2010 at 2:08 pm

I’m so glad you’re feeling better! Poor Maggie :( I heard it’s supposed to get better for the Marathon this weekend-let’s hope!

39 Karla January 5, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Aww poor maddie! I can’t believe how cold it is in Florida! My roommate is there now and told me how freezing it is!

40 foodfitnessandfreya January 5, 2010 at 3:01 pm

I’ve NEVER had a candy cane! They look a bit like sticks of rock you get here, maybe it’s a similar thing..? Your lunch does look good :) but apricots? even dipped in chocolate, they still = blerrh :(

41 Jenna January 5, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Glad you are feeling better!!
Cereal looks great! What’s the difference between the spreads?!
Jenna

42 jenngirl January 5, 2010 at 8:58 pm

Poor Maddie! My cat Kiki is soo small, and she cuddles up to me at night to stay warm, I hate have to put her out in the morning, but that’s where her litter box is!

We are getting some very uncharacteristically cold weather right now and I agree-thinking about running in the cold is definitely worse than actually being in it. Either way though, it’s still cold ;)

43 Lauren January 5, 2010 at 9:34 pm

I always try to remind myself of the warmth that comes over me half way into the run and that usually gets me going. But it’s sooooo hard to start when it’s that cold!!!

What did you think of the preserves? I have seen these in the store and was very curious to try.

44 Hillary January 5, 2010 at 11:02 pm

After running a cold chicago marathon this year I would suggest not going overboard because you will get warm and fast. I wore capris and a T with gloves and was the perfect temp! I wore a sweatshirt until the gun too to keep a little body heat in.

Also, I just wanted to say thanks for your morning post – it inspired me to run in the 19 degree temps here in Chicago. I figured if a girl from Florida can brave the temps, I sure can too!

Good luck this weekend!

45 fitandfortysomething January 6, 2010 at 9:42 am

Glad you are feeling better! That cereal mix looks great.

46 Danielle January 6, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Aww, poor Maddie! I’ll never forget when Carl and I went camping with our dog Bradley last February and woke up to him shivering next to us because he was so cold, too. I didn’t realize that he’d get cold because he’s a bigger dog (around 60 lbs.), but he has short hair so he was cold. Poor little guy!