Not Too Much Longer Now

by Meghann on January 4, 2010

My marathon is officially less than a week away and this scares me for many reasons.

1. This morning was my first run in over a week.
  2. Colorado left me with a lovely parting gift of a head cold. πŸ™
  3. Its f-ing freezing in FL right now! I think the cold weather followed me home.
  4. I still don’t know what I’m wearing on race day. (Hey! this is important! πŸ˜‰ )
  5. I am starting to get a little overwelmed with all the people coming in town  because I want to meet them all, but there is just so little time to do that in!

With all that being said I couldn’t be more excited! I got a little teary eyed watching the tips and tricks videos online again last night. I tend to get very emotional as race day nears.

If you would like to track me on race day you can go here and search for my name (Meghann Anderson). You will then be given the option to track me by text updates or e-mails.

I did venture to my apartment gym this morning to complete 30 minutes on the treadmill. Since I am fighting a cold I didn’t want to risk making it worst by running out side in the 30 degree temps.

The 30 minute run was miserable. πŸ™ My legs felt great, but my sore throat and runny nose did not.

Quick – what’s the fastest way to get rid of a head cold?!?!

Breakfast was comfort food featuring the return of Florida strawberries!

IMG_5164

• 1/2 cup Flax Flakes
  • 1/2 cup Kashi Warm Cinnamon H2H
  • 1/4 cup Granola
  • Plain yogurt
  • Strawberries
  • Cantaloupe

IMG_5161

When I saw the Florida strawberries at Publix for $1.97 last night I thought I had died and gone to heaven! Thank god strawberry season for the south starts in January. πŸ™‚

Do you like my new bowl?

IMG_5151

My grandparents gave me a ton of fun new bowls, plates, and cups for Christmas. This was one handmade and given to my Grandmother as a gift many years ago.

IMG_5153

Beautiful.

Is anyone else back at work today? Hope the day isn’t too bad!

1 Stephanie January 4, 2010 at 9:40 am

Sleep is the best cure for a head cold. Stop it before it gets worse!

2 Lindsey @ Sound Eats January 4, 2010 at 9:47 am

Sleep, vitamins, liquids, lots of fresh fruits and veggies — hope you knock this cold ASAP!

Do you know if there are any meet ups going on Friday night? Ross and I have a wedding this weekend and we were thinking of stopping halfway in Orlando on Friday night.

3 foodfitnessandfreya January 4, 2010 at 9:52 am

I think sleep, and teatree oil – it always helps me breathe better when I have a cold – and lots of good, fresh food πŸ™‚
I wish you all the best for your marathon though! I have my first hald marathon in a few weeks, and I’m SO excited, so I can’t imagine how you must be feeling!!
I also think if you’re feeling overwhelmed by all the people, don’t put any pressure on yourself to meet everyone. The day is about YOU, and you need to focus on yourself to run the best race you can! I used to feel the same if lots of people came to watch my dressage competitions, and in the end, I just told them (in advance), ‘don’t be offended if I ignore you, I just can’t focus on you too at the moment!’ Worked a charm πŸ™‚
Good luck and feel better soon!

4 greensandjeans January 4, 2010 at 9:55 am

Water, water, water! I’m also a big fan of EmergenC and Zicam. I felt a cold coming on yesterday and drank a pack of EmergenC every 4 hours and Zicam-ed about the same time and today I feel great! I’m sure you’ll be able to kick it by this weekend!

5 amanda @ fake ginger January 4, 2010 at 10:00 am

I love Theraflu for colds. It’s the only thing that helps me get some sleep and we all know sleep is the best medicine. Feel better soon!<3

6 pickyeaterruns January 4, 2010 at 10:04 am

Meghann, trust your training. You’ll do wonderfully! Sorry about the cold. Get plenty of rest and tea!
What is it with this cold weather?! I’m running the Disney 1/2 and thought I’d be guaranteed warmish temps on race day. The forecast scares me. Now I have no idea what I’ll wear either πŸ˜‰

7 Evan Thomas January 4, 2010 at 10:06 am

You are going to rock the marathon, just get plenty of sleep!

8 Emily January 4, 2010 at 10:10 am

Yikes, hope you start feeling better quick! I’m dubious about it’s effects but all of my friends swear by Airbone.

9 prettytimepiece January 4, 2010 at 10:11 am

omg awesome deal on strawberries! lol they are like $4.99 here in new jersey for a little thing. i miss themmmmm.

marathon!! ahhh πŸ™‚

10 madisonruns January 4, 2010 at 10:11 am

Feel better, Meghann! I swear by emergen-C! I usually have one with every major meal of the day when I have a cold! It may be overkill, but it has worked for me in the past!

11 Christy January 4, 2010 at 10:13 am

Get A LOT of sleep… or as much as you can! That will for sure help with getting rid of your cold! And lots of water couldn’t hurt! Head colds don’t last too long, so you’ll be fine. No worries! πŸ˜€

12 Matt January 4, 2010 at 10:17 am

I start back to school next week. I am not looking forward to class, but I am looking forward to getting away from home. My parents are driving me nuts!

13 Cait (Cait's Plate) January 4, 2010 at 10:33 am

Ahhh! I feel excited for you though! I think you’ll be A-Ok. You’ve run 20 miles so 26.2 will be a cinch! πŸ˜‰

I’m back to work today…sadly. The break was so great!

14 Kaylen Goodman January 4, 2010 at 10:35 am

Hi just a random reader, I love your blog, so positive! Anyway the absolute Fastest way to kick your cold is by taking zinc, a product called Zicam (at the drugstore, there are chewables, cough droups, etc), Make sure to take it consistently all day. It is a miracle drug! (well..it’s homeopathic…)!

15 Adam @ Turnupmyworkout.com January 4, 2010 at 10:38 am

I don’t have any magic tricks for getting rid of a cold, but I will agree with sleep and plenty of water (at least that’s what my mom always told me.) Good luck with your marathon, I don’t think there’s any question that you can do it!!

Adam @ http://www.turnupmyworkout.com

16 Anna January 4, 2010 at 10:38 am

You will ROCK your race! I just hope its isn’t 30 degress for you! I would just start inhaling vitamen C sometimes a shauna helps me to just sweat it out. Also go to sleep early and drink a ton of water! I’m back at work today for the first time in 13 days and I can tell I did feel refreshed when I woke up, but I really had to get my head in the game when I got in the office this morning!

17 Eliza January 4, 2010 at 10:39 am

I’ve read that echinacea can shorten the duration of a cold….Here’s some info: http://nccam.nih.gov/research/results/echinacea_rr.htm
that and tons of sleep.

18 Victoria January 4, 2010 at 10:40 am

Hope the weather eases up soon! The best possible thing to do for your cold is to hydrate like crazy.

19 RhodeyGirlTests January 4, 2010 at 10:42 am

The race is so soon woohooooo!!!

20 Tammy Eros January 4, 2010 at 10:43 am

I concur with the Emergen-c! It’s a miracle! Whenever I feel something coming on, I take that stuff every 6 hours, I feel 10x better, much quicker!

21 Erin January 4, 2010 at 10:44 am

Strawberries are the one of the things I “cheat” on when it comes to eating all locally-grown foods — bananas are another! πŸ˜‰ It’s about doing the best you can, right?

22 Jennie January 4, 2010 at 10:47 am

Meghann, I SWEAR by Cold Eeze! I usually get the sugar-free cherry flavor. It doesn’t taste great but I swear that if you start taking them religiously as directed, it’ll either prevent the full onset of the cold or at least shorten the duration of it!

23 Rachel January 4, 2010 at 10:54 am

You already got pretty much all my suggestions: sleep, vitamins, Ziacam (I usually use the store brand version), & Halls Fruit Breezers are great for the sore throat. Also, don’t forget TONS of water and hot tea!

Try to rest and not stress. Stressing about meeting up with everyone is not going to make the cold go away!

Also, doing easy yoga/pilates/meditation always helps clear my head up a bit!

Good luck!

24 Heather (The Single Dish) January 4, 2010 at 10:57 am

Drink lots and lots of water! Flush out that cold! Also, sleep and not stressing about it helps me. Feel better! I love strawberries, they are my favorite!

25 Erin @ Big Girl Eats January 4, 2010 at 10:59 am

I’m sending positive vibes you way! I just read an interesting article in Runner’s World that talked about tapering and how our bodies sort of “freak out” pre marathon/race event because we’ve spent so long preparing for the event. All those aches and fears and pains are normal and will be gone come marathon time! You’ll rock it, girl.

My quickest feel better trick is to brew hot water and add it to a cup of fresh ginger (usually just pull of a branch and put it in the cup), fresh lemon, and honey. Honestly it clears my nose/throat and I’m convinced makes me feel better overnight. It’s amazing! Feel better!

26 Chris January 4, 2010 at 10:59 am

As another commenter said, you’ve already done 20 so you’ve got it in the bag!

I swear by the knockoff Target version of Airborne – I’m fighting a head cold at the moment too, and I went through an entire tube of it yesterday. Be careful though, because too much Vitamin C can bother your stomach – but I’ve found that there’s no such thing as ‘too much’ for my body when I’m head cold-y!

Do your best and it’ll be enough. As my old coach used to say, you can never run the same race twice. Embrace what you’re given and kick butt!

27 Britt @ Runnerbelle January 4, 2010 at 11:00 am

Get lots of rest, fluids, and maybe try some Mucinex. This is the advice my doctor friend gave me when I had a nasty head cold.

The outfit can be a bit hard to figure out, especially with weather playing such a huge factor. Put together an outfit based on the current forecast with options if its a little warmer or a little cooler. Also since it is “cold” there by FL standards be sure to get some throw away clothes to wear to the start. Its a bit of a trek from where you get dropped off to the start and then a lot of standing around till you get going, stay warm with some clothes that you can discard once the race is under way. I usually hit up Goodwill or Salvation Army for some sweats & a light jacket.

Also TRUST YOUR TRAINING!!

28 Molly January 4, 2010 at 11:07 am

overload on the EmergenC stuff…it worked WONDERS for me this fall. I took one-three a day and my cold was gone within 3 days. Good luck πŸ™‚ and Im sure youll do great!

29 Kim January 4, 2010 at 11:07 am

I recently had a head cold right before a trail race and the following worked for me: extra rest, lots of oranges, echinacea wellness tea, lots of water, and mucinex. Mucinex is awesomeness. Also, go for walks or runs still – you want to keep your lungs open and moving as much as you can. Don’t be afraid to go outside – you’ll be okay. (I live in Indiana – trust me!) Hope you feel better soon!!!

30 Kim January 4, 2010 at 11:08 am

Oh, also lots of veggies!

31 Elizabeth January 4, 2010 at 11:09 am

I third (or fourth?) the recommendation for Emergen-C, along with green tea and something spicy. (Spicy foods have antimicrobial properties – check out this oooold news release for the research and a list of 30 recommended spices: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1998/03/980305053307.htm)

I usually brew up a spicy “tea” with two cloves of garlic, 1″ of peeled ginger root, a pinch of cayenne, and some cinnamon and lemon juice, and drink it hot 2-3 times a day. Also, avoiding dairy will help clear congestion faster.

And sleep. Lots of sleep πŸ™‚ Chamomile tea can help if you’re not feeling sleepy – Celestial Seasonings’ Sleepytime tea always works for me.

And now that I sound like a little old lady, back to work for me.

32 rungirlrunn January 4, 2010 at 11:09 am

You will do great on your race!! The first run after a vacation is always a tough one, don’t let it get to you!

33 MelissaNibbles January 4, 2010 at 11:19 am

I find the best way to get over a head cold is to just ignore it. It’s just a cold, it’ll go away by tomorrow night. Good luck in your race!

34 Sara January 4, 2010 at 11:38 am

I also swear by EmergenC… even though it can be a bit addictive. Keep blowing your nose! Not to be gross, but if that stuff gets swallowed, I get a belly ache for weeks. Not what you need before a marathon either…

35 Tracey @ tropicalhappiness January 4, 2010 at 11:44 am

I have to mention Emergen-C as well. It’s sold in a box, with individual packets. When I get sick, I overload with those- taking four or so a day for a few days. It always helps me get better fast! I also take it when I feel a cold coming on, or before I travel to ward off germs… It’s either a mind trick or it really works, because it always seems to help me!

36 Tracey @ tropicalhappiness January 4, 2010 at 11:45 am

PS- Also, try to get tons of sleep. If you are super congested, try making a wedge, by stacking lots of pillows up so you are sleeping on an incline. That helps keep your head drained while allowing you to sleep!

37 Kara January 4, 2010 at 11:45 am

What is up with this freezing weather in Florida, its killing me! At least we have those strawberries πŸ˜‰
I love drinking warm tea or hot water with a little honey and lemon to soothe my throat. I also basically pound that emergen-c stuff. Not sure if it actually helps, but I always feel better knowing I’m getting some extra vitamins!

Hope you feel better soon!

38 eaternotarunner January 4, 2010 at 11:48 am

Get lots of rest and feel better! And good luck, you’ll do great!

39 Laura @ Food For La January 4, 2010 at 11:50 am

For head colds my husband swears by this thing called a Neti Pot. You fill it with water and one of the packets they give you, then dump it into your nose and it cleans out all of the junk in you. I think we got his at Wal-Mart for $14. It looks weird to me, but he says it really works!

Hope you feel better πŸ™‚

40 Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen January 4, 2010 at 11:55 am

lucky gal…I’d LOVE to have strawberries right about now! hope you feel better, you’re going to do great on race day πŸ™‚

41 skinnyrunner January 4, 2010 at 12:08 pm

you will do great in your marathon! just relax and enjoy your tapering. and your delicious looking strawberries!

42 goodtastehealthyme January 4, 2010 at 12:09 pm

I am back to work today! πŸ™ I could’ve used another day off LOL.

I’m sooo jealous about the strawberries!!!!!!! They’re my absolute favorite fruit!

43 Rosey Rebecca January 4, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Feel better soon!! Like some of the other commenters, I’m ridiculously jealous of the strawberries!!

44 khaughney January 4, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Feel better soon! And I hear you on the cold weather, it is supposed to hit the teens one night this week in Tallahassee. It makes me just want to stay inside all day!

45 Anne @ the doctor takes a wife January 4, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Do you do anything different when you haven’t run in a while?? I’m going to do my first run since before the holiday either today or tomorrow and I’m super nervous!!

46 Jessica @ Going Off Birth Control Pills January 4, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Lots of great suggestions here! Don’t forget Vitamin D too. I take it in liquid form, mainly because sun is hard to come by here in Ohio in the winter. I started taking it a few months ago and haven’t been sick yet, even when surrounded by sick people.

Hope you feel better ASAP!

47 Courtney January 4, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Echinachea and green tea! And REST!

48 postcollegecook January 4, 2010 at 1:13 pm

I started coming down with a cold about a week before my marathon in October and FREAKED out! I ate 1-2 tangelos or oranges a day and took the maximum dosage of Airborne every day. I was still a little stuffy the morning before the race, but by the morning of I felt 100% thankfully! I also took it a little easier than I had planned in my taper.

And cool weather should be a great asset during the race — 40-50 degrees is the ideal running temp.

49 Loretta @ RunRettaRun January 4, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Rest and I’ve heard the Netty Pot is great for clearing out the sinuses! Good luck!

50 meyergirl January 4, 2010 at 1:27 pm

I’m back at work. Woke up at 3:30AM for a 6AM flight out of New Orleans and now I’m back in the office.

51 Rose January 4, 2010 at 1:34 pm

I hope your head cold clears up!

52 Rachel January 4, 2010 at 1:35 pm

I’m sure you’ll be fine during the race! It has been especially cold here in SC, too… in the ‘teens πŸ™ Just remember you’re only cold at the beginning, and once you’re body warms up you’re fine!

Your breakfast looks delicious πŸ™‚

53 Chelsea January 4, 2010 at 1:39 pm

I got some pottery from my uncle this Christmas and I LOVE it. Take lots and lots of vitamin C and think positive thoughts. The good news is that you can run through a head cold. AND? It may do WONDERS for your taper!

54 Melissa January 4, 2010 at 1:47 pm

i love watching spirit of the marathon pre-race, it’s so inspiring, you can watch it on hulu

55 Jenna January 4, 2010 at 2:23 pm

I am glad you are getting excited for the big marathon! You have worked so hard!
I hope you feel better asap. Drinks lots and lots of OJ and liquids and try to take it easy!
Jenna

56 Casey January 4, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Cute bowl Meghann! I’m glad to be home too. πŸ™‚

57 LindsayRuns January 4, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Sleep, mucinex D (behind the counter) and zicam! Good luck, that’s the worst being sick on a race day.

58 Lisa January 4, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Garlic (I’ll either roast a whole head, or make lentil soup with 10-12 cloves), warm tea with lemon. A friend just told me that he swears by a steam facial (boiling water in a bowl, towel over head, head over bowl) as well as salt water drops in your nose, that supposedly dries you up quickly.

Get lots and lots of sleep (that’s the most important thing), drink lots of water, don’t stress about anything. Even if you have a cold when you run the marathon, as long as it’s not in your chest, you should be fine.

Carry some tissues with you if you can (nothing more gross than wanting to wipe your nose and you can’t!)

You’re gonna do great!

59 Amelia January 4, 2010 at 3:43 pm

I agree with everyone who said tons of Vitamin C for the cold. That always helps me. Plus REST!

I’m also stressing about all the race prep. I’m flying in from NYC for the Disney marathon and still have no clue what to wear/pack/etc. I’m very excited though! I’m sure things will start to fall into place for you as we get closer to race day! πŸ™‚

60 Katie January 4, 2010 at 11:09 pm

Meghann – being from Iowa, I get WAY too many head colds each winter! Drink a lot of fluids, take a multi vitamin and eat plenty of vitamin C rich foods, go to the store and buy some Vicks (rub it on your chest/neck, even under your nose so you breathe in the vapors) and a few good night’ sleep! And a lot of hot tea!! Good luck with your race!!

61 wnk505 January 5, 2010 at 9:14 am

Hey meghan I’m in Florida right now too visiting my grandparents to go to warm weather and I was introduced to COLD weather yet again! I was so upset and have been for a few days. I wanted to run the marathon in warm weather not the weather I run in at home.

I feel your pain with the race day, clothes, etc. I would love to know how you plan on dressing and how you plan on dealing with this horrid weather.

Also for a head cold I reccommend those Emergen-C vitamin C packets, sleep, rest, and advil.

I hope you feel better soon!