more ยป" />

And on the last day it snowed

by Meghann on January 2, 2010

it snowed hard :(

Brrrr…. this Florida girl just ain’t cut out for this! ;)

We did have plan on driving to Beaver Creek for our last day, but when we awoke to a heavy snowfall we knew the drive to Beaver Creek would be no fun at all. Instead we enjoyed a lazy snowy day at Breckenridge.

Before we layered up and headed out, we made sure to enjoy a leisurely breakfast of pancakes.

Derek was on pancake flipping duty again and did another fabulous job.

I topped my pancakes with vanilla yogurt and fresh mango.

On the side I had a sausage patty.

Check out Derek’s loaded plate!

He hand pancakes w/ mango, a fried egg, biscuit and two sausage patties!

I was impressed. :)

The morning started off verrrrryyyyy cold.

My brothers and Dad went to the top of the mountain, while Kelly, Derek and I took our time on peak 7.

After a couple of runs we couldn’t take it anymore and headed inside for some HOT drinks.

My toes were sooo cold in my boots, they needed to defrost on the outside. :)

Eventually the boys joined us, frozen beard and all. lol

We had packed our lunches again today, but after oggling all the bread bowls filled with chili and soup our cold lunches failed in comparison. So, we caved and treated ourselves to a hot meal.

Derek and I shared a chili filled bread bowl.

Sooo worth the $12.95. ;) The spicy chili heated me right up!

I actually had to cool my mouth down with the pear I had packed for my original lunch.

We attempted to ski more after lunch, but after a few runs I was done for the week. I was tired, cold, and cranky. I also miss the humidity. :(

We stopped at the top for a final hot chocolate.

IMG_6311.JPG IMG_6312.JPG

The boys weren’t quite finished, so they headed to the top one final time while I caught up on my google reader

and enjoyed the closest thing to chocolate Kelly could provide me with.

After a week of avoiding the t-bar, Derek finally believe he was ready to join the big boys club.

18771_10100301505507361_2018340_63846457_6565861_n.jpg

My brother and Dad took Derek to the top and I am happy to say he survived! Woo hoo!!! I’m so proud of my little ski bunny. :)

We said our good byes to the mountain and headed back to the car for one last run.

On the way home we made a friend.

Meet Marley the moose. I named him. Isn’t he cute?

Dinner on our last night was easy

chinese take out

My plate contained some veggie lo mein, a tofu lettuce wrap, and some sushi.

washed down with my final Fat Tire of the trip

and a fortune cookie

I had the last piece of cake with some vanilla yogurt for dessert.

We are heading out early tomorrow to catch our flight home.

As much as I love Colorado I miss Florida’s warmth and humidity. I also miss Maddie! I know Maddie is having a ball with her dog sitter, but I miss cuddling with my baby!

1 Gracie January 2, 2010 at 11:10 pm

I must say that I *loved* all of your ski trip posts! I’m going on a skiing weekend next week and I can’t wait….your posts have gotten me so excited haha ;)

2 Tiffany January 2, 2010 at 11:27 pm

Wow, what a fantastic trip. We are actually going skiing in Breckenridge later this month, so it has been fun to see your vacation- and we are so taking the kids tubing! Thanks for the idea!! I do have one question, and this in no way is me making a comment to be taken the wrong way. I am truly wondering if your dinner filled you up? The bread bowl for lunch did look filling, but you were burning so many calories this week. Just lugging around all the equipment can be a workout :) I’m not suggesting that you don’t eat enough, if it is enough for you, than it is. I just don’t think after skiing all morning a wrap with some fruit, or a small plate for dinner would satisfy me. Again, I really don’t want this to offend anyone. I am truly asking if you feel full/satisfied after what you eat. I am trying to loose weight and like knowing how a “normal” healthy person feels when eating. I always feel like I need to feel full, not stuffed but not hungry. Maybe as I loose weight I will need less. Anyway, any input would be helpful!! Thanks!

3 Meghann January 2, 2010 at 11:41 pm

Have fun in Breck! The kids are going to love tubing!! :)

Yes, my meals filled me up. :) The one thing about posting photos of my food is that it doesn’t do it justice how much of a serving it actually is. Most people believe that in order to feel full they need to eat a huge amount of food, but most of the time its the fat, protein and carb ratio that is what is going to fill you up. All of my meals were balanced with healthy fats, proteins, and carbs and were all designed to keep me fueled and full. I also made sure to take advantage of snacks when nessecary to keep hunger at bay. I would also point out my dinner was served at 5:30 so I was still pretty full from my big chili lunch and clif bar snack :)

4 Courtney January 2, 2010 at 11:37 pm

WHAT a vacation! :]

5 Amelia January 2, 2010 at 11:43 pm

Looks like a wonderful trip! All that snow and the moose sighting are particularly cool! Have a safe journey home! :)

6 Matt January 2, 2010 at 11:45 pm

Sounds like you had a great vacation :)

7 Melissa S. January 3, 2010 at 12:04 am

omg i think derek needs to make me some pancakes just so he can flip them for me :)

I can’t wait to see you…in less than a week! ahHhhhhhhhhh!

8 *Andrea* January 3, 2010 at 12:18 am

yummmy eats!!! from hot coco to cake to chinese food = all my favorites :) derek is such a cutie! marley the moose – how cute

9 Rachel January 3, 2010 at 12:23 am

You really can’t beat a bread bowl filled with warm, delicious goodness on a really cold day. It looks so yummy!

10 Chelsea January 3, 2010 at 12:37 am

It always makes me laugh when there is sushi with Chinese. It’s good-that’s for sure. But it’s like Italian with French :) Not commenting on your decision to get it but the fact that it’s available at Chinese food. (I totally would have gotten it too). Your trip looks fun but it IS always nice to get home!

11 Lauren @ Reading and Running January 3, 2010 at 12:38 am

Ahhhh the frozen beard!!!!!

12 Erin January 3, 2010 at 12:39 am

What a fun trip! I’m jealous that you’re heading back to warmth while I’m freezing here in DC but it looks like you had a ton of fun and enjoyed every minute. :)

13 Morgan @ Life After Bagels January 3, 2010 at 12:47 am

that is quite a lot of snow for a Florida girl to endure!

14 learningtocookeatandenjoydeliciousfood January 3, 2010 at 1:09 am

I have loved all of your posts of the snow aswell!! I really miss going skiing every year like I did when I was growing up, but with the economy and my brother being out of the country we decided to skip the trip this year and we are hoping to go back NEXT year!! I hope that you have a great reunion with maddie tomorrow!!

15 Lisa @bakebbikeblog January 3, 2010 at 3:47 am

oh that chilli looks great! We are currently snowboading in Hakuba (Japan) and loving every minute :)

16 Danielle January 3, 2010 at 6:42 am

Those soup bowls look so good! Yum!

Safe travels and have fun with Maddie tomorrow :)

17 usfmeg25 January 3, 2010 at 8:22 am

I so want to take a skiing vacation this year because of you!!! It looks like you guys had a blast! Oh, and I love the picture of the moose! How freakin’ cool!!

18 rungirlrunn January 3, 2010 at 10:21 am

That’s some serious snow! The soup bowl looks like the perfect meal for such a snowy day.

19 lily @ Lily's Health Pad January 3, 2010 at 10:25 am

I loved reading about your vacation.

I totally understand that you miss Maddie. You’re a good dog mommy! I miss my cats so much when I’m away from them for a long time!

20 crunchygranolagal January 3, 2010 at 10:36 am

ahhh I LOVE those bread bowls! perfect skiing meal. and i love the awesome appetite I have from a day of skiing out in the cold — funny how it runs (pun intended) you down more than a day in warmer weather.

21 Molly January 3, 2010 at 10:56 am

Glad you had fun! Fresh powder is the BEST! Looks like you got some great skiing in. I miss the chalet chili and cocoa :( safe travels home!

22 Christy January 3, 2010 at 10:58 am

Hahaha your dad’s beard is hilarious! And I love Derek’s hat :D

23 Jenna January 3, 2010 at 11:08 am

Glad you had an awesome last day!
Pancakes, chili bowl and Chinese all look great! And dessert obvs ;)
jenna

24 Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen January 3, 2010 at 11:11 am

what a great last day…at least you had some fresh pow for it! hope you guys have a safe trip back :)

25 Kelly from Bridges and Bites January 3, 2010 at 11:12 am

1. that is a lot of snow!
2. i’ve never considered mango on a pancake, but now i want one!
3. MOOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26 lindsayruns January 3, 2010 at 3:07 pm

You have had quite the ski adventure for a Floridian! I own skis and I don’t think I could do the runs you do…and a moose too!

27 jenngirl January 3, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Just looking at all of the pics in this post gave me chills! I would have opted for a soup bowl at lunch too :)

Congrats to Derek for joining the “big boy club” I bet he was proud :)

28 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) January 3, 2010 at 4:04 pm

How cool that you got to see a moose!!! I love that you named him. I need to go to Colorado sometime. I’ve never skiied!

29 Vanessa (Last Night's Leftovers) January 3, 2010 at 4:08 pm

There is something about a bread bowl that just makes chili *that* much more delicious!

Cute Moose. ;)

30 Kristine January 3, 2010 at 7:14 pm

I can’t believe you saw a Moose!! AMAZING!

31 meyergirl January 4, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Yay for Derek! I’d be SO scared.