more ยป" />

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow

by Meghann on December 30, 2009

Good bye sunny skies…. hello snow!

Brrrrr…..

We woke up this morning to a fresh coat of snow on the ground and more on its way!

We have been desperately crossing our fingers for new snow all week and were happy to see our wishes come true.

The snow flurries had to be the highlight of my morning.. Another? Pancakes!

No one in my family are great pancake flippers, so Derek stepped forward with his mad flipping skills.

IMG_4714.JPG IMG_4717.JPG

I had three pancakes topped with warm cinnamon apples and vanilla yogurt.

Derek’s pancakes were a little more traditional than mine with just a little bit of syrup.

IMG_4732.JPG IMG_4734.JPG

To each their own. ๐Ÿ˜‰

So I may have told a little fib yesterday when I said that Keystone if my favorite mountain, obviously I meant to say Vail was my favorite.

We took advantage of the new snow by loading the car up and heading over to vail for the day.

If you saw me on the mountain would you know it was me?

#1 goal when dressing for skiing in the snow: have as little exposed skin as possible.

It was 16 degree fahrenheit (-9 celsius) on the slopes today. Brrrrr…. I saw people skiing in just a hat and googles with their face fully exposed and I shivered just thinking about how cold they must be! I guess they’re used to it?

I, on the other hand, had 4 layers on my upper body, glove liners, hand warmers, toe warmers, a neck gater that covered my entire head, a hat and goggles. AND I was still cold!

Please forgive me for my lack of photos from the day, my hands were just too cold to get my camera out and snap too many.

The morning was a bit rough due to some ridiculously long lift lines. Once we got down the first bowl we noticed the only chairlift out of the bowl had not moved since we started at the top. This led to a pile up of skiers needing to get back up. Thankful it started once we made our way to the bottom, but the line was already unruly by then.

We waited roughly 30 minutes in all of the conjestion. The best part about waiting in line was people watching. There were snowboarders next to us chowing down on some trail mix, several people eating granola bars, and even a person eating a sandwich while we waited.

My sister and I ended up splitting a peanut butter granola bar in the line and Josh shared some gatorade with us.

We eventually made our way out of the mess and met my Mom and Derek for lunch at Two Elks lodge.

If anyone has ever been skiing in the area before then they know how difficult it is to find a table at lunch time on the mountain. My Mom had surveyed the area for 30 minutes before finally nailing a table for us.

Kelly and I couldn’t decide between pizza and chili for lunch so we ended up splitting the two between us.

The roasted veggie pizza was cheesy and greasy, but seriously lacking in the veggies. Regardless it was very tasty.

The highlight of the meal had to be the vegetarian chili

I was impressed with how many veggies I found in my chili. It was very filling and very delicious.

For dessert I had a bite of a Two Elks Bar (tasted like a hello dolly) and a bite of peanut butter cookie.

IMG_6192.JPG IMG_6193.JPG

Bundling up and heading back outside

The afternoon was much better than the morning. We found a fairly empty chair and just kept taking different trails off of that chair. We enjoyed the fresh powder and open mountain.

Coming in from the day I did take a little spill on an icy catwalk. A guy was following pretty closely behind me and as soon as I went down he came sliding in on top of me.

The only thought that went through my head was ‘please don’t mess up my marathon legs.’ Luckily I was able to hop right up. Though, I believe I will have a pretty bruise on my left thigh in the the morning. Le sigh.

We stayed until the lifts closed, taking full advantage of all the great conditions. When we did make it to the car I chowed down on an odwalla bar.

When we made it home we discovered our new hot tub beer delivery window.

Convenient, right?

My Dad took advantage of the outdoor grill again this evening and grilled up bratwursts for dinner.

Steamed broccoli

Roasted potatoes

All together

I had the other half of my pretzel rod and a piece of my little brother’s m&m carmel apple for dessert

Hopefully all the snow we got today will lead to some great runs in Breckenridge tomorrow.

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow!!!!

Good night!

Promax Giveaway Winner….

I like PB and chocolate!!

1 meyergirl December 31, 2009 at 12:01 am

Beautiful!! I love snow but HATE being cold. LOL

2 Britt December 31, 2009 at 12:06 am

Looks like a fun day at Vail despite the lines. I love Blue Sky Basin there. And yay for FRESH snow!

3 Molly December 31, 2009 at 12:10 am

SHUT UP! I skiied Vail today and ate there yesterday!!! bah! Wish i coulda ran into ya!

4 Matt December 31, 2009 at 12:16 am

It is cold for you because you are from Florida ๐Ÿ˜‰

5 Amanda December 31, 2009 at 12:51 am

WOO today’s post made me so excited for my family’s annual trip out to Vail/Beaver Creek – we are going the last week of January! Looks like you guys are having a great time ๐Ÿ™‚

6 Jess December 31, 2009 at 4:35 am

Haha. You southern Americans make me laugh. I love how bundled up you are! I used to ski/snowboard in just a hoodie and toque, unless it dropped much below -10C. I would sweat to death if I was wearing all those layers.

I’m actually snowboarding for the first time in 7 years next weekend, so we’ll see if I can still do it ๐Ÿ˜‰ Reading your posts is definitely getting me excited. I always loved stopping in for lunch at the lodge and yours looks especially yummy.

7 Lisa @bakebbikeblog December 31, 2009 at 8:23 am

ooooh what a great looking day! We head to the snow fields tomorrow – and I am now hoping that I have brought enough layers and warm clothes!!!

8 Brea December 31, 2009 at 9:21 am

How fun! Don’t you find the food tastes so much better when it is cold and you’ve been outside all day?! I’m glad you are having a marvelous time ๐Ÿ™‚

9 madisonruns December 31, 2009 at 10:34 am

Ahh… It looks sooo pretty in CO. Love the “beer window.” Fabulous invention!

10 DiningAndDishing December 31, 2009 at 10:37 am

I’m impressed with Derek’s pancake flipping skills! That is always a struggle for me too :O).

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

11 inmytummy December 31, 2009 at 11:27 am

I’m so jealous. I want to be there. I’ve been trying to convince my finance that our next vacation needs to be a skiing one.

12 Elina December 31, 2009 at 11:28 am

He, it was 11 degrees in Boston yesterday!
That dinner looks fabulous. I love that your family is into healthy cooking ๐Ÿ™‚

13 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) December 31, 2009 at 12:07 pm

I love your photos of the landscape – so lovely. You are incredibly bundled up for the cold!

14 Rose December 31, 2009 at 12:37 pm

Looks like you’re having a great time with your fam! Merry Christmas, Meghann!

15 rebecca lustig December 31, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Glad you’re having a great time– stay warm!! ๐Ÿ™‚

wishing you a very happy safe and healthy new year, lovely lady!

rebecca <3

16 Amber from Girl with the Red Hair December 31, 2009 at 1:17 pm

I just had to comment on this post because I’m from Northern Canada where it gets very snowy and COLD and yesterday me and my brother went snowboarding in -25 C (-15 F)!!

It was funny because we were bundled up like you guys were and I remember riding up the chair lift and talking about how when it’s -10 or -5 C it’s warm enough to snowboard with just t-shirts on!!!

Our bodies are probably used to that temperature though growing up there! Haha, anyways your ski trip looks VERY fun! Happy New Year ๐Ÿ™‚

17 Jenna December 31, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Looks like a great day Meghann!
Glad you enjoyed the snow!!
Jenna

18 Jesse December 31, 2009 at 4:40 pm

AWWW I LOVE VAIL!!!! It is my total favorite place to ski ever. Shamless plug – the best meal you will have is at The Montauk Seafood Grille right in Lionshead, BEST AHI in the world. (It is my brother’s restaurant!!!) Go, YUM!

19 Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen December 31, 2009 at 5:18 pm

lucky lady! can’t wait to ski vail for the first time in t-minus 3 weeks! totally love the pics of the skiing and the food…what a great combo!

20 jenngirl December 31, 2009 at 8:01 pm

I’m very cold natured, so I wonder how I would do in that mountain weather. It sure is beautiful though!