Keystone

by Meghann on December 30, 2009

We took a little drive today and headed to one of my favorite mountains, Keystone, for another full day of skiing.

I <3 Keystone!

Before we headed out my Dad prepared a delicious filling breakfast of biscuits and gravy with a side of pear and apple drizzled in yogurt.

Keystone is only about a 20 minute drive from Breckenridge. You can actually see Breckenridge from Keystone and vice versa.

NINE of us managed to squeeze into a gondola meant for 8 people on our first ride up.

We found a sign stating a weight limit of 1450 pounds for the gondola, which had all of us doing the math in our head.

We made it to the top, so I am assuming that means we were safe. πŸ˜‰

Why is it Derek looks so cute in his ski gear and I look like an 80 year old woman?

I know some girls look cute on the mountain, but for me its all about warmth. Who am I trying to impress on the slopes anyways?

For some reason my breakfast didn’t hold me over at all. Around 10:00 I ended up digging in to this Nature Valley Bar that they were handing out at the entrance.

Lunch was consumed around noon on the mountain.

Again we went with the ‘brown bag’ and I enjoyed an almond butter and carrot wrap that I made this morning with a handful of tortillas and dried fruit.

I also nabbed a bite of my Dad’s cookie and brownie.

IMG_6146.JPG IMG_6149.JPG

The rest of the afternoon was spent getting lost in the trees

and watching Derek do his thing!

Derek was brave enough to join us for the ladder part of the afternoon. I think we intimidated him yesterday morning, but he is slowly coming around. πŸ™‚

My mom, sister, little bro and I decided to cut our day on the mountain a little short and opted for a cool beer mountainside instead.

Kelly and I shared a Sam Adams Winter Lager

Eventually we moved inside to the Spoon Cafe

And split a hummus platter

This place has the best homemade hummus. Its very fresh and tasty.

When my Dad suggested we head out for dinner tonight, no one questioned his brilliant idea. As much as I love passing out at the cabin after a day on the slopes, I also love dressing up in cute winter clothes and taking a stroll around town. πŸ˜‰

Its impossible for my family to visit Breckenridge and not dine at Rasta Pasta at least once. It is a 7 year old tradition after all.

The meal started with very strong garlic bread.

I had half a piece and then picked at a couple of more bites.

The bread was followed by a small salad that was swimming in ginger dressing.

I ate about half the salad and tried to dodge the big glob of dressing as much as I could.

When trying to decide what to order fro my main dish, I found it helpful to look back at my blog and refresh my memory of what I had ordered when I ate here back in February (post here). Sometimes it comes in handy having over a year of my life documented in this blog. πŸ˜‰

I ended up ordering the Natural Mystic Dish which was a pineapple curry served over penne pasta. The original dish came with chicken, but I requested tofu instead.

The dish was pretty fabulous. The pineapple curry was very tasty and refreshing. I ate about 3/4 of my bowl and Derek finished the rest.

After dinner we took a little detour to the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory

I know these place are everywhere, but there’s something special about going to one that is actually in the Rocky Mountains.

We purchased a handful of goodies including a chocolate peanut covered pretzel rod.

I ate half and am saving the other half for tomorrow.

Its snowing outside right now! I hope the snow keeps coming so we may have some killer runs tomorrow.

Bot Enhanced Water Giveaway Winner is…

First off, you weren’t joking when you said that’s the cutest website ever! I love how their eyes follow the cursor!

As for keeping myself hydrated, I’m horrible at it. The good thing is, all I really drink is water. I don’t like sodas very much at all and only drink it occasionally at work (but mainly I stick to water there as well).

Congrats Sammi! Send me an e-mail at graduatemeghann@gmail.com with your information so that I can ensure your prize is sent out ASAP!

1 BethT December 30, 2009 at 1:34 am

I love how people from FL are always the best skiers! πŸ™‚

2 Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama December 30, 2009 at 4:55 am

What a fun day! =) And of course – beer is always a good thing after hitting the slopes!

3 Mary@FrogsandMen December 30, 2009 at 5:25 am

hey, i just wanted to say i really enjoy your blog. the hummus looks delicious. have you ever made it at home? i’ve tried but i could never get the right consistency.

4 meyergirl December 30, 2009 at 9:10 am

Your trip had me looking up ski vacations yesterday, LOL! πŸ™‚ I am afraid of the ski lift, though. Not heights, just that moment where you have to ski/snowboard off. What if you don’t know how yet? The first (and only) time I went I immediately fell down and got my ski caught in the lift. Picture it. :mrgreen:

5 whitneyinchicago December 30, 2009 at 9:15 am

I totally remember Rasta Pasta! Breck is such a cute little town.

6 Britt @ Runnerbelle December 30, 2009 at 9:15 am

You are really making me miss skiing out west! We stayed at the Keystone Lodge a few years back and loved it. My favorite place to ski in that area is A-Basin, small area but awesome skiing!

Looks like you all are having a great time!

7 megan December 30, 2009 at 9:33 am

another great day of skiing! I’m with you on the cut ski clothes thing…somehow I never look cute! haha i look like i’m completely bundled up for warmth. although, i don’t buy matching stuff, so that might help…

8 runningaroundnormal December 30, 2009 at 9:33 am

Aw, looks like you had a blast!! I’m not much of a skiier, but it always looks so fun when I see other people doing it, haha.
That pretzel rod looks delicious!

9 savoringsarah December 30, 2009 at 9:36 am

What an amazing trip with your fam! Every day looks more enjoyable than the last πŸ™‚

10 DiningAndDishing December 30, 2009 at 9:47 am

That hummus looks soooo good! Nothing like a great dish of creamy, homemade hummus :O). Glad to see the trip is going well!!

11 lily @ Lily's Health Pad December 30, 2009 at 9:48 am

I’ve eaten at Rasta Pasta! Yummmmmm!

12 rungirlrunn December 30, 2009 at 10:31 am

I am SO wishing I was on vacation with you right now!

13 Nicole December 30, 2009 at 10:52 am

Ah, that hummus looks so good!! Like Sabra hummus.

I wish I was skiing!

14 Sammi December 30, 2009 at 10:54 am

The email has been sent πŸ™‚ I can’t wait to get it!

Make sure you don’t ski into any trees! (my sister got a lovely concussion one year doing that!)

You may think that you look like an 80 year old in all your ski gear but you look adorable in that yellow jacket!

15 Jenna December 30, 2009 at 11:02 am

Looks like you are having a great time at the slopes!
Your dad is quite the chef Meghann!
Hummus platter and your dinner look great πŸ™‚
yummy pretzel rod! Have some more fun and can’t wait to read the blog!!
Jenna

16 Danielle December 30, 2009 at 11:05 am

Skiing looks so fun! And I love the white hat you’re wearing- where’d you get it??

17 j December 30, 2009 at 11:21 am

awww I live in CO and was skiing at Breckenridge yesterday secretly hoping I would run into you. Breck, Keystone, winterpark/maryjane, and vail are definately the best skiing in CO!

18 Molly December 30, 2009 at 11:23 am

ah you should drive over to Vail today and ski with us!!! We are getting a bunch of snow πŸ™‚
I’m skiing on the same skiis as Kelly! and I had the ones your mom had, last year!
Have fun hittin the slopes again!

19 Derek December 30, 2009 at 11:44 am

From Meghann: that’s so funny, we’re heading to Vail. Send me an email

20 caitsplate December 30, 2009 at 11:25 am

Wow Spoon Cafe looks AMAZING. I could’ve eaten that entire hummus platter by myself!

And way to go on stopping at half that pretzel rod…I don’t think I could’ve done it! πŸ™‚

21 Molly @vegandorm December 30, 2009 at 11:34 am

i ate at rasta pasta during my summer altitude training but got the salad with tofu for my main meal. the tofu was delish!

22 Kristy December 30, 2009 at 11:34 am

I love KEYSTONE!! I am so jealous. Love your blog by the way and just started my own using some of your blogging suggestions. Thanks πŸ™‚

23 eaternotarunner December 30, 2009 at 11:37 am

Keystone is so awesome! Jealous!

24 brandi December 30, 2009 at 11:44 am

looks like such a fun time! I wish I wasn’t terrified of skiing πŸ™‚ I do enjoy the cold, hot cocoa and tubing!

25 janetha December 30, 2009 at 11:59 am

ahhhh i am so jealous~looks like a blast!!

26 Katie O. @ Fit to Wed December 30, 2009 at 12:11 pm

What a fun family trip! I nearly killed myself the one time I attempted skiing and learned that you should probably get lessons before hitting the slopes. Spoon Cafe looks awesome!

27 Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen December 30, 2009 at 12:46 pm

The mountain looks great! Can’t wait to head out there in a couple weeks and try all of the fantastic food you’ve been eating πŸ™‚

28 jenngirl December 30, 2009 at 1:14 pm

Another beautiful day of skiing! I love that you were able to look back at your blog to check out what you’d ordered in the past…one of my favorite aspects of blogging! And also, that’s really cool to be able to sub tofu in your pasta. I think if I asked for that here, the waiter would look at me like I was nuts!

29 RhodeyGirlTests December 30, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Can I just keep reiterating how jealous I am?!!?! JEALOUS!

30 Erin December 30, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Okay, the picture of you with the white hat/yellow shirt = cute ski bunny and NOT 80 year old woman! And Rocky Mountain Choc. So good!

31 Jamie December 30, 2009 at 3:25 pm

you do not look like an 80 year old woman in your ski gear… you look cute! but who cares anyway? i agree with you- its all about the warmth. In beaver creek today I think we got 5 inches, so I hope you got some good snow over there too!

32 Christina December 30, 2009 at 5:55 pm

I love Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory! The one by me has something called Avalanche Bark and it is amazing! It has peanut butter, rice krispies, marshmallows, M&Ms, and sprinkles! My mom and I split one every single time we go there!