Breckenridge

by Meghann on December 27, 2009

We made it!

Check out our mountain digs.

Not too shabby, right? πŸ˜‰

We landed in Denver around 10:00am local time which was 12:00pm eastern time. We were all starving – having not eaten anything since our 6:00am eastern time breakfasts – and grabbed some sandwiches for lunch.

I grabbed a veggie to go and it was pretty tasty.

I enjoyed my sandwich while the boys did a great job collecting all the luggage. πŸ˜‰

Thanks boys!

It was 13 degrees when we landed! I had to perform a quick change before braving the cold weather.

On our way in to the mountains we stopped at Red Rock Canyons since none of my siblings had never been. (You can read about my last visit here)

It was cooolllddd. Brrrr….

This is Derek’s first time in Colorado! He was very excited to be here. πŸ™‚

My brother’s never got the memo to change their shoes at the airport and were still sportin’ their flip flops. True Florida boys til the very end.

IMG_4463.JPG IMG_4462.JPG

Back in the car I had the second part of my lunch: a bag of potato chips.

Them promptly passed out for the 1.5 hour drive to our cabin.

(I discovered this photo when I plugged my card in. LOL)

We finally made it!

My Mom found our cabin on the site Vacation Rentals By Owner ( www.vrbo.com ). Its a site my old boss turned me on to a couple of years ago and its a site I have been obsessed with every since. If you are looking to go on vacation for the cheap I suggest you give it a shot.

All rentals are done through the actual owner of the cabin/condo/etc and since you are dodging a lot of extra fees the rental agencies tag on they are usually relatively cheaper as well.

We scored a 4 bedroom cabin that can sleep 12 for about half the price of other places we were looking at. πŸ™‚

Plus we got a hot tub and a killer view. πŸ™‚

IMG_4499.JPGIMG_4500.JPGIMG_4501.JPG

I built up quite an appetite unloading all the luggage and grabbed this apple ginger spice Honest Foods Bar I had been sent a while back.

The apple ginger spice flavor was very blah. I ate half before tossing the rest in the trash.

We all piled back in the car to collect our ski rentals.

My parent each have their own skis, but the rest of us require rentals for the week.

I always love watching people trying to spell my name out.

IMG_4544.JPG IMG_4543.JPG

One ski has “Mehann” and the other says “Maghann”

I don’t know how many of you have tried hitting the City Market in Breckenridge around 4:00pm, but its INSANE! We spent over an hour in the store trying to figure out meals for 7 people for 7 days.

My Sister and I broke into some mixed dried fruit in the check out lane.

And the seven of us devoured an entire loaf of french bread on the way back to the cabin. (no photo)

Tacos were on the menu for dinner. πŸ™‚

In a whole wheat tortilla I had refried beans, ground beef, avocado, tomato, lettuce & cheese.

All rolled up and ready to eat

I believe everyone enjoyed their burritos

IMG_4583.JPG IMG_4584.JPG

IMG_4587.JPG IMG_4588.JPG

IMG_4597.JPG IMG_4600.JPG

Kelly was right when she said no one was safe from the blog. πŸ˜‰

I ended the evening with a nice cup of hot chocolate

and a gingerbread cookie I had smuggled from home

What a day!

Time for bed. I have an early wake up call in the morning then its time for the slopes!

Good Night!!

1 tieghan Gerard December 27, 2009 at 11:43 pm

I LIVE IN BRECKENRIDGE!! Right now is the craziest time a year around here it is so crowded!!!!! I can not believe you came to vacation in my small town! That is so SICK! I hope i see you around!!!!!! I you have ay question about the town feel free to ask!
Tieghan

2 meyergirl December 27, 2009 at 11:44 pm

I’ve never been to Colorado before! I was once flying over beautiful scenery and actually hit the call button to ask where we were, which turned out to be Colorado. The husband and I are planning on touring the area next fall. Can’t wait!

3 Lee December 27, 2009 at 11:44 pm

I’m jealous. Have a great time.

4 Jordan @ Salt Sweat Sugar December 27, 2009 at 11:47 pm

I dunno why, but being around mountains makes me nauseous. Maybe it’s from living in FL my whole life and it being flat… but I can’t stand it. I love pics though =] They’re gorgeous!

5 Allison (Eat Clean Live Green) December 27, 2009 at 11:56 pm

Colorado is so beautiful. Have a great time with your family!

6 Jenna December 27, 2009 at 11:56 pm

Glad you made it from Florida to Colorado!
Looks like you are going to have one fun week!
Can’t wait to read your blog daily:)

7 hogeruns December 28, 2009 at 12:23 am

Enjoy your trip!! Looks like you guys are having a great time so far!

8 Molly December 28, 2009 at 12:27 am

ah I leave for colorado tomorrow and your pics are making me so excited! Ill think of ya when Im on the slopes! Have fun! πŸ™‚

9 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) December 28, 2009 at 1:46 am

Love the action shots! So jealous you are gonna hit the slopes. Our family hasn’t been skiing in years πŸ™ Have a fab time, Lady!!

10 Karla December 28, 2009 at 1:55 am

How fun! I love cabins! Have a fun trip!

11 Molly @vegandorm December 28, 2009 at 2:13 am

I did altitude training in Breckenridge over the summer – so tough to run, but when I got back to a normal altitude I felt amazing!
I didn’t ski though – have fun!!

12 Sarah R December 28, 2009 at 2:27 am

Glad you made it safe. I’m getting super excited–we are leaving in a few hours on the 8 hour trip to Breckenridge!

13 Marina December 28, 2009 at 3:09 am

Looks amazing!Be careful on that snow πŸ˜‰

14 Lindsay H December 28, 2009 at 9:19 am

As a native Coloradan, I hope you have an AWESOME time out here in the wild wild West. It’s funny…I actually just came back from a short vacay in Orlando. I hope the cold doesn’t come as too much of a shock. I must say, I’m jealous of those warm Florida summers that you get to enjoy. Enjoy Breck! Keystone is another great mountain that’s close to Breck. Check it out if you have the time!

15 Sammi December 28, 2009 at 9:27 am

You have no idea how jealous I am right now! Breckenridge is one of my favorite places on earth! Last winter, my dad asked me if I wanted to go skiing in breckenridge for vacation or go to italy and honestly, I was really close to picking breckenridge.

I hope you have TONS of fun skiing out there!

16 Danielle December 28, 2009 at 10:19 am

Those pictures are beautiful! I’m so jealous, even with the cold weather. Have fun skiing!

17 Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen December 28, 2009 at 11:22 am

Great pics! Breck is by far one of my favorite ski areas…you guys should hit up Breckenridge Brewery while you’re there! In addition to awesome beer, they have a fabulous menu with a LOT of healthful options! Have fun skiing today!

18 rungirlrunn December 28, 2009 at 11:59 am

How beautiful!!!

19 Kathryn December 28, 2009 at 12:05 pm

I set a timer on my watch when I know I have exercised a lot that day or will be exercising. It goes off every 15 minutes to remind me to drink water.

20 Kathleen December 28, 2009 at 12:15 pm

I just got back from Breckenridge yesterday! It is an awesome time, be sure to enjoy it. I also got a garmin for Christmas and used it while skiing. It was interesting to see how far we had skied that day and my max speed. I’m sure you know that you can do that though πŸ™‚ Have fun!

21 Katy @ These Beautiful Feet December 28, 2009 at 12:37 pm

SO fun! Enjoy your week, I am living vicariously through you.

22 RhodeyGirlTests December 28, 2009 at 1:08 pm

have so much fun!!!!!!

23 jenngirl December 28, 2009 at 1:49 pm

Gorgeous! We started using vrbo for our family trips to Destin and love it, such a great deal.

Looks like y’all are having a blast, and I’m totally jealous you have all of that literal man-power to help out with luggage haha πŸ˜‰

24 Kelly December 28, 2009 at 4:29 pm

I would love to try Bot! I drink water with cucumber slices every afternoon, makes me feel like Iam at a spa and not work πŸ™‚

25 DiningAndDishing December 28, 2009 at 5:05 pm

absolutely gorgeous!! enjoy your trip :O)

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

26 Donna December 28, 2009 at 6:51 pm

πŸ™‚ enjoy your trip!

I like to hydrate with … no other than water. however it gets pretttty boring! I would sure like to try Bot! need some more fun in my life, i mean water heh

27 Lele December 28, 2009 at 7:26 pm

I am so jealous! I’ve always wanted to go to Breckenridge (and, er, learn to ski). I love the West!

28 Ali December 28, 2009 at 8:35 pm

Looks like such a fun day!!! I wish I liked skiing, living where it is freakin freezing and snowy all the time, that would be helpful!

29 slowmiles December 28, 2009 at 10:42 pm

Looks like such a fun trip! Enjoy~

30 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad December 28, 2009 at 10:46 pm

I’m so jealous! I took a Spring Break trip to Breckenridge in college and I skiied my heart out for an entire week. Skiing is the best!

31 Danielle December 28, 2009 at 11:07 pm

It looks BEAUTIFUL! Have a fantastic time tomorrow πŸ™‚

32 goodtastehealthyme December 28, 2009 at 11:45 pm

I just caught up on all your posts! Your Christmas looked wonderful!

This cabin is beautiful as well! My boyfriend noticed it and his mouth dropped…I’m pretty sure it’s his dream home LOL

33 Marcy December 29, 2009 at 6:55 am

Looks great!! Such a good idea to use vrbo.com……what is the house # on the site? My family would like to head to Colorado for spring break.

Thanks and gave fun!

34 Erin December 30, 2009 at 12:05 am

I’m so jealous! I went to Breckenridge for the first time over the summer (didn’t ski though) and it is gorgeoussssss. Truly amazing! What a great vacation with your family!