more ยป" />

8th Times a Charm

by Meghann on December 27, 2009

Greetings from 35,000 feet in the air!

Can you believe this is the 8th time I have flown in 2009?!?

In 2009 I have blogged in the air on my way to:

I guess 2009 was my year to fly? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Luckily by now I have the whole eating healthy while flying down to a science. The trick is packing my own food for the flight.

I prepared a cereal mix on Wednesday in an old Oikos container that I save of occasions just like these.

Once past security I tracked down a container of plain Stonyfield Yogurt and an apple to complete my meal.

All topped with a packet of barney butter.

Who needs crappy airport food when you can easily pack a delicious, filling breakfast from home?

I also decided to save some money by skipping Starbucks and packing my own tea bags for the trip.

I asked for a cup of hot water at the food court and enjoyed a comforting hot cup of tea without having to shovel out any $$.

In my family we travel in comfort. Who care that we are flying to snow and freezing temps? Flip Flops all the way!!!

(Also notice my twin bro’s choice of shorts in the above pic. lol)

We were really lucky when we booked our flight – all 6 of us were able to all sit in the same row.

Poor Derek is the odd man out behind me. Hi Derek!

Thankfully we have a direct flight to Denver thanks to Frontier Airlines. The best part about flying Frontier is the personal TV in the seat in front of us where you can order movies or watch over 35 channels of direct tv.

Sadly there is no on board WiFI. Bummer. ๐Ÿ™

Looks like its nap time.

Perhaps I’ll join them. ๐Ÿ™‚

See you in Colorado!!

1 Melissa S. December 27, 2009 at 1:21 pm

have fun!! and i love the flip flops..you floridians. like us californians. ๐Ÿ™‚

2 Nicci December 27, 2009 at 1:22 pm

I love flying to destinations or taking road trips. I like how you’ve packed healthy items.

3 Lauren December 27, 2009 at 1:27 pm

Looks like a fun family trip!

4 foodcents December 27, 2009 at 1:34 pm

You much have brought the sun with you from Florida to CO, THANK YOU!!!! BTW, there is a small WHOLE FOODS right off an exit of I-70:)

5 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 27, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Have a wonderful trip!!!

6 Christy December 27, 2009 at 2:27 pm

Haha you can always tell a true Floridian… always wearing flip flops no matter what the temperature is!!

7 Marina December 27, 2009 at 2:32 pm

I hope you enjoy your trip with your lovely family ๐Ÿ™‚
Have fun!

8 strawberrysuitcase December 27, 2009 at 2:37 pm

great idea bringing your own tea along. looks like y’all are having fun in the sky.

9 Britt December 27, 2009 at 3:09 pm

Great food packing! LOL

Kinda like when you travel from New England during the winter to the south…. I layer and have the flip flops easily accessible, so when I land I can throw them right on and take a layer or two off.

10 Mama Pea December 27, 2009 at 3:18 pm

Derek got to come too?! This sounds serious ๐Ÿ™‚

11 Marisa (Loser for Life) December 27, 2009 at 3:37 pm

You do have the healthy eating while flying thing down pat! Way to go!

Have a fun time with your fam!

12 Jenna December 27, 2009 at 3:40 pm

Great idea of bringing your own food! Way to save money and your breaky was probs much tastier and healthier than anything at the airport!
Have a great trip ๐Ÿ™‚

13 Laura Georgina December 27, 2009 at 3:59 pm

I totally agree with you on bringing your own food on airplanes–I did it for the first time last week and can’t believe how much better I felt when I landed (much better than if I’d eaten crappy expensive airplane food)! Have a great time in Colorado….

14 meyergirl December 27, 2009 at 4:01 pm

Have fun!!

15 April December 27, 2009 at 4:53 pm

Such great tips! I’m flying to LA in a couple weeks, I think this post will come in handy ๐Ÿ™‚

16 RhodeyGirlTests December 27, 2009 at 7:09 pm

MEGHANNNNNN!!!!

HAVE SO MUCH FUN IN COLORADO!!!! I am so jealz of your weeklong ski trip! We are going to a rinky dink mountain in Massachusetts this weekend and I can’t wait… but it is no COLORADO!!!!

I have to find out how you get to the mountain from the airport- do you rent a car or do that shuttle thing?

17 Karla December 27, 2009 at 7:47 pm

That is a lot of flying in one year! Have fun skiing! Be safe!

18 Stephanie December 27, 2009 at 9:20 pm

Well, welcome to Colorado! You just missed some verrrry cold temps and icy conditions.
BODA weight loss

19 Naomi(onefitfoodie) December 27, 2009 at 9:43 pm

LOVE the pics! and I do the same thing! always pack food EXCEPT a few weeks ago when I went to FL, I made overnighgt oats and they took it away at security, I was about to cry:( BUT then I saw a sbux, bought a ‘perfect oatmeal’ found a greek yogurt at a little cart and had a banana with me so I made my own breakfast! (also with the justin Nut butter packet!) great idea with the tea bags! I am going to do that next time!

xo

20 luckytastebuds December 27, 2009 at 9:48 pm

OOOOH I totally packed my own breakfast for the airport on X’mas day too!! Just so you know, you can definitely bring apples through security ( brough two giant Fuji’s!) so you don’t have to spend money on an overpriced apple at the airport yourself!!!

I’m a big fan of your Oikos container as a tupperware though. hehehe it’s brilliant!!!

21 learningtocookeatandenjoydeliciousfood December 27, 2009 at 9:50 pm

Your trip looks like it is going to be so much fun!! I wish that my family was going on our yearly christmas ski trip, but my brother is in England right now and we didnt want to go without him!! I hope that you are able to find healthy and delicious food while you are out in colorado aswell!!

22 Bridget December 27, 2009 at 10:07 pm

Have so much fun on your trip!! Major jealousy over here haha. Can’t wait to live vicariously through you ๐Ÿ™‚

23 Julie @savvyeats December 27, 2009 at 10:08 pm

Have fun!

24 Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen December 27, 2009 at 11:00 pm

You’ll fit right in with native Coloradans…they wear flops in the snow too ๐Ÿ™‚ Hope you guys have a wonderful trip!

25 jenngirl December 28, 2009 at 10:17 am

haha that’s awesome that you’ve flown so much, AND been so many great places ๐Ÿ™‚

Everytime I fly I get a little bit “better” when it comes to being prepared. I’ve taken tips from you and others and now I always have a sandwich packed for lunch when I’m in the air.