Morning Tea

by Meghann on December 21, 2009

Christmas is Friday! Christmas is Friday! Christmas is Friday!

Yippeeee!!!

The next couple of weeks are going to go by much too fast. I better soak up any holiday spirit while I can. πŸ˜‰

My legs are still recovering from their 20 mile run on Saturday. I have a nice knot on my IT band that I would kill for a foam roller to roll out. I debated buying one a couple of times yesterday, but I couldn’t bring myself to buy one with Christmas just a couple of days away!

Instead I have been stretching the muscle has much as I can and even had Derek massage what he could of the knot. It’s a little tender, but I can tell the knot is slowly depleting.

The 50 minute yoga session I did this morning also helped. πŸ™‚

My fridge is EMPTY! I didn’t have time to stop at the grocery store on my way home yesterday and was kicking myself for it this morning. Besides the fruit, yogurt and other basic food items missing from my fridge, I am also out of toilet paper, toothpaste, and paper towels. :/

I improvised with what I did have one hand and came up with a pretty interesting cereal mess for breakfast.

IMG_3406

• 1/2 cup Flax Flakes
  • 1/2 cup Kashi H2h Warm Cinnamon
  • Crumbles of Glo-Nola
  • Unsweetened Applesauce
  • Almond Butter
  • Pom Seeds

I warmed the apple sauce with the almond butter before adding it to the cereal and topping it with the pom seeds.

IMG_3408

It was actually a really great combination. A nice warm breakfast for a relatively cold morning in central Florida.

IMG_3409

I was oddly excited to arrive at my desk this morning and prepare a cup of the Pumpkin Spice tea I purchased at Infusion Tea on Saturday.

IMG_3410

This is my first experience with loose leaf tea. I’m not really sure how the whole process works, but I’m good with directions and bought this nifty mesh tea infuser to aide the process.

IMG_3414

Step 1: Add 1 tsp of tea leave to infuser

IMG_3417

Step 2: Add infuser to hot water and let stand for 4 minutes

IMG_3423

Step 3: Enjoy!

IMG_3426

Easy! Only problem was I sort of guesstimated what 1 tsp of leaves was and I may have guesstimated low. The tea was a little weak for my taste.

By the way… I’m not sure if I mentioned it or not, but Derek ran a 5k all on his own on Saturday morning! I think I have him hooked on races. πŸ˜‰

He set another PR coming is just a tad over 31 minutes and is determined to break 30 minutes in the new year.

Go Derek!!

1 megan December 21, 2009 at 10:10 am

that tea sounds really good. I got into the loose leaf tea thing after living in China for a summer. It’s so fun!

2 VeggieGirl December 21, 2009 at 10:10 am

FABULOUS new PR!

3 Evan Thomas December 21, 2009 at 10:14 am

I’ve never tried dealing with looseleaf tea, but it sounds like it has some awesome flavors.
Go Derek!

4 caitsplate December 21, 2009 at 10:16 am

Aw! Yay Derek! That’s awesome. I’ve tried to no avail to get my boyfriend to run with me, but he’s just SO not into it. Any secrets as to how you got him motivated??

And YUM. I want that tea.

5 Matt December 21, 2009 at 10:40 am

Congrats Derek!

6 Danielle December 21, 2009 at 10:46 am

Congrats to Derek! Thanks for explaining the loose leaf tea- I’ve wanted to try it but I thought it was complicated. I guess not πŸ™‚

7 Britt - Runnerbelle December 21, 2009 at 10:46 am

Congrats to Derek on his PR!

I’m a huge fan of loose leaf tea. We have a fabulous tea place near us that has so many wonderful flavors, all loose leaf. I’m sipping on some Sweet Almond right now. It is so good with just a little skim milk or soy milk, no sweetner needed.

8 Megan (The Runner's Kitchen) December 21, 2009 at 10:57 am

For having an empty fridge, you did an awesome job with breakfast. Most of the food groups are there – fruit, protein, grains, etc. Looks good!

Also, http://www.runnersworld.com has some great IT band stretches. Their most recent issue (December, I think) featured some Active Release Technique (ART) demonstrations. It can work wonders for the IT band!

9 Megan December 21, 2009 at 10:57 am

You can get the same effect in a slightly more painful but possibly even more effective way by rolling yourself on a tennis/lacrosse/etc. ball. Any small round object will do. This is especially true when it’s a single knot as opposed to all-over tightness. Place the ball on the ground below the knot and lay on your side. Hold yourself up w/ your arms/lean on your elbow and roll your body over the ball. Remember to breathe! It definitely hurts a little bit but feels SOO good when you’re done!

10 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad December 21, 2009 at 11:02 am

I love the idea of that tea infuser! I’m going to have to get myself one of those.

Way to go, Derek!

11 jenna December 21, 2009 at 11:06 am

that warm breaky looks great!!
yay for christmas on friday πŸ™‚

12 Erin December 21, 2009 at 11:08 am

I prefer using loose leaf tea but it’s definitely easier — and less clean-up! — with the bags.

13 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) December 21, 2009 at 11:09 am

I love loose-leaf tea – so awesome πŸ™‚ Go Derek!

14 Christy December 21, 2009 at 11:10 am

lovin’ the FSU mug πŸ˜€

15 brandi December 21, 2009 at 11:13 am

congrats to Derek! and to you and Kelly on the 20 miles this weekend! I’m just catching up on everything – our internet was pretty slow (and downed a few times) from the snow this weekend.

I love loose tea – so fun.

16 Meghann December 21, 2009 at 11:16 am

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 10:13 AM, comment-reply@wordpress.com wrote:

17 Anne Marie@ New Weigh of Life December 21, 2009 at 11:16 am

Go Derek!!

18 Katy @ These Beautiful Feet December 21, 2009 at 11:17 am

I am dying for some loose leaf tea, I am a little bummed I didn’t add that to my Christmas list. πŸ˜‰ But hopefully I will be able to get some soon. Congrats to Derek on his new PR! That’s really awesome that he’s racing now. πŸ™‚

19 Nicci@NiftyEats December 21, 2009 at 11:42 am

I’ve alwasy wondered about loose leaf tea, I never knew it was so simple.

20 courtlove111 December 21, 2009 at 11:45 am

I have that same infuser and LOVE it!! Loose leaf tea is really very superior to the bagged teas most of the time…more rich and delicious! YUM!
I was going to recommend you roll on a tennis ball as well but I see another commenter already did…it probably will be painful, but worth it in the end.

Courtney
adventures in tri-ing

21 BethT @ Pretty By The Bay December 21, 2009 at 11:46 am

Is it wrong to hate tea, but secretly covet tea accessories? πŸ˜‰

22 allie December 21, 2009 at 11:54 am

you can use a ball in place of a foam roller- i would recommend a basketball, volleyball, soccerball (you could try something smaller if you don’t have one of those). i actually like using a ball better sometimes becuase the effect is more intense.

23 strawberrysuitcase December 21, 2009 at 12:06 pm

go derek–you are a good motivator!

24 Beth S. December 21, 2009 at 12:12 pm

I went to home depot and they had large diameter (pvc?) pipes pre-cut into 2 foot sections. One only cost me 5 bucks!

I paid 20 dollars for a foam roller at target. The foam collapsed and got deformed within a few months.

Rolling is super painful at first but then it goes away – and, it is so worth it. I couldn’t get my IT pain to go away with just stretching.

25 Karla December 21, 2009 at 12:35 pm

I bought a foam roller. I think it works wonders! Totally worth it for me.

26 Emily December 21, 2009 at 12:42 pm

Haha, love your enthusiasm about Christmas! I’m so excited, too, even though I have at least one more present to get!

Congrats to Derek for running another 5k! I think once you’ve run one race, it’s hard not to get addicted. πŸ™‚

27 Ali December 21, 2009 at 12:46 pm

I know the feeling, my fridge and cabinet are EMPTY!!! It is baaad! I am headed to the store tonight. I have not a fresh fruit of veggie to be found! INSANE!

28 runningaroundnormal December 21, 2009 at 1:28 pm

Sorry about the ol’ IT band. Hope it feels better soon.
That tea infuser is so cute!

29 Chelsea December 21, 2009 at 1:40 pm

Oh that tea looks delish!

I hope you get your foam roller for Christmas-they are lifesavers!

I can’t do pom seeds on sweet stuff, it freaks me out for some reason?

30 amanda December 21, 2009 at 1:57 pm

where in the world does one buy pom seeds? i’ve looked high and low! arggg.

also, i love those tea contraptions. they are so neat to use. my dad got me one and i use it often. they are the best.

and of course, go derek!

31 Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen December 21, 2009 at 2:07 pm

Breakfast looks delish! Hopefully the IT knot goes away soon…it’s such a hard spot to hit with a foam roller, but definitely great when you get it!

32 Caitlin December 21, 2009 at 4:12 pm

I always use 2 tsp. for loose-leaf tea. Of course, it really depends on the flavor and preference of the person drinking the tea..but I woul try adding a little more next time!

33 Amanda @ The Hungry Wanderers December 21, 2009 at 4:35 pm

I love loose leaf tea! You might have had enough (i usually fill my holder), just try steeping it longer! (I like mine strong so I steep until no longer clear as water)

34 Kallie December 21, 2009 at 4:40 pm

I have shamelessly used a nalgene bottle as a “foam roller.” It tough, but gets the job done!

35 meyergirl December 21, 2009 at 11:17 pm

Good breakfast improvisation. How’d you improvise the toothpaste and toilet paper? LOL

36 Caroline December 22, 2009 at 11:46 am

Tea always tastes weak to me unless I steep it an extra few minutes. I think I actually end up walking away and accidently doubling the suggested time a lot!