more ยป" />

Conquering 20 Miles

by Meghann on December 19, 2009

20 Miles?!?! Done and done!

I did it! I did it!

It may have been windy, I may have been running with a bloody knee, and the shot blocks I chewed may have been unbearably stale (who knew shot bloks went stale), BUT I DID IT!

Walt Disney Marathon – Here I come!!

I am always in awe of Maddie’s ability to know exactly when I should wake up. She started licking my face around 5:00 am and I immediately started freaking out thinking my alarm had never went off.

Turns out I had set my alarm for 5:04 am and I forgot to warn Maddie about those extra 4 minutes of sleep I had promised myself. ๐Ÿ˜‰

For my 20 mile pre-run fuel I turned to the reliable combination of half a bagel, almond butter, and butterscotch chips.

With one of the Pumpkin Coconut Chocolate Chips Bars I made last night on the side.

The bar was ok. The flavor was right, but it tasted kind of spongy. ๐Ÿ™

I met my sister had her apartment and we took off on the 20 mile loop we had planned around her area. We prefer big loops as opposed to out and backs or constantly having to loop by the starting point. Its too tempting to stop that way.

Exactly 1.4 miles in to the run I managed to trip on a piece of metal and came down hard on my knees and hands. My knee looked back and I’ll admit there were some tears. However, it was just a surface scratch and I knew I could continue on.

My knee didn’t bother me on the actual run, but when ever we stopped I could feel the pain. I ignored and it wasn’t until mile 6 or 7 that I even thought to look at it.

Yes, I ran 18.6 miles with my knee looking like that. I’m not sure if that makes me bad ass or an idiot. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thankfully, the rest of the run wasn’t as exciting. The worst part was actually the strong, cold wind we were running into. I would have killed for a pair of gloves!

We made our way to the UCF campus around the 10 mile mark and were a little confused why so many cars were on campus at 7:30am on a Saturday when school wasn’t in session. Turns out graduation was going on. Kelly and I as sweaty and smelly runners had to run through multiple groups of grads and their parents who were all dressed nicely and actually smelled good. We got a few stares. ๐Ÿ˜‰

We stopped at the UCF union for a little potty and fuel break. I chewed on some Clif shot bloks that had been in my water pack for who knows how long. So, for anyone who was curious Yes, shot blos do go stale!

From mile 12 on we were officialy on our way back to the apartment. I kept marking milestone numbers of 13.1, 15, and 18 miles as we trodded through. We could do this! 20 miles was in our reach!

My favorite quote came towards the end of the run when in the last half mile Kelly very loudly proclaimed ” We are going to kick this half mile’s ass! F-you half mile – you’re going down!”

I started cracking up and it more than encouraged me to sprint to the end!

WE DID IT!! We ran 20 miles!!! Yippeee!!!

Kelly had precut orange slices waiting for us in the fridge upon our return. Isn’t she sweet?

Kelly had been nursing an injury, but was confident in her ability to complete all 20 miles. She was very determined to not let anything hold her back from running the marathon in a couple of weeks. I’m happy to report all her rest was worth the effort. She complete the 20 miles with ease. ๐Ÿ™‚

Go Kelly!

Kelly was also sweet enough to play nurse to my bloody knew, which was now throbbing. Oops..

All better!!

Anthony awoke from his slumber to make us breakfast. (Or you know we begged and pleaded, but really what’s the difference)

Check out the N sunburnt into his chest from the DolphiNs game he went to this weekend.

12662_550981272452_50100927_32421466_7766791_n.jpg

hehe

Anthony made us pancakes refrencing a recipe from this nifty pancake book.

I loaded up my plate with pancakes and apple cinnamon apples.

Perfect post – long run food. ๐Ÿ™‚

I had to race from my sister’s back home to let Maddie out and shower before meeting the girls at Tea Infusion for lunch.

Me, Ashley, Caitlin, Lindsey, & Ryan

Lindsey is in town for the weekend and it was nice getting a chance to catch up. ๐Ÿ™‚

Even though I just had pancakes 2 hours earlier, I was more than ready for a tasty lunch. ๐Ÿ™‚

I decided on the lunch combo

1/2 Milton Salad

1/2 Concord Sandwich

with an iced moroccan tea

I would love nothing more to sit back, relax, and perhaps take a nap, but I need to hit the road again! I’m on my way to Tampa for a holiday party with Derek.

Have a great Saturday!

1 Evan Thomas December 19, 2009 at 4:42 pm

Congratulations!
Lol I think that knee shot needs a warning. Thank goodness I had finished my lunch

2 amanda @ fake ginger December 19, 2009 at 4:45 pm

Congratulations! You two kicked serious ass!

An entire cookbook of pancakes?! That’s something everyone should own!

3 Lizzy December 19, 2009 at 4:45 pm

congratulations for completing 20 miles! thats sooooo amazing! ๐Ÿ™‚

4 Chloe December 19, 2009 at 4:54 pm

Good job Meghann! 20 miles is unbelievable, and I know you’ll rock the marathon!
Also – I like this new layout and header better than the blue header. It looks very nice, can’t wait to see what you finally decide on!

5 Ashley December 19, 2009 at 4:54 pm

I’m getting ready for my first 5K on January 1 and ran 2.25 miles for the first time this afternoon, and in those fleeting moments when I wanted to quit (largely because it was snowing!), one of the things I thought about to keep me going was how you’d probably already run your 20 miles for the day. And then come to find out you’d done the better part of it with a bloody knee. =P

6 Melissa December 19, 2009 at 4:57 pm

ouch! i feel a while back running too. I still have a scar! But you were more bad ass than me, I waited until later in the day to finish the run. lol about the shot blocks, my gus always expire on me! fortunately I have always noticed prior to consuming!

7 Erin December 19, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Wow! Way to go! The weather looks beautiful — it’s a blizzard here! ๐Ÿ˜€

8 Emily December 19, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Congrats on the run. You’re definitely bad ass – scraped knee or not. I love the N sunburn – funny that he wanted to show it off to the blog world. ๐Ÿ˜‰

9 Brittany December 19, 2009 at 5:03 pm

woo-hoo on the 20 miler – that’s awesome. I hope your boo boo gets better soon!

Lunch looked super fun. I love blogger meet ups!

10 Brittany December 19, 2009 at 5:04 pm

PS I forgot to mention that I thought the N tan lines on Anthony were marks from getting waxed. I’m glad you explained it!!

11 Adrienne December 19, 2009 at 5:30 pm

Running all those miles with your knee like that makes you bad ass. And, it is a great reminder of race day when you want to quit that you didn’t quit when you had a bloody knee, so why get disgruntled now!

12 Jenna December 19, 2009 at 5:32 pm

omg girl you are a trooper for running with that cut!
have fun tonight!!

13 Rosey Rebecca December 19, 2009 at 5:35 pm

Good job running 20 miles!! That’s so amazing! I’m sorry about your knee but glad that it didn’t interfere with your run!!

14 Nicci December 19, 2009 at 6:11 pm

Great job on the 20 miles. I think you are bad ass with that running injury!!

15 VeggieGirl December 19, 2009 at 6:52 pm

YAHOOO!!!!! But I hope that wound heals quickly, girl!

16 greensandjeans December 19, 2009 at 7:31 pm

Yay Meghann and Kelly! Congrats to you both!

17 Kristine December 19, 2009 at 7:33 pm

Wow you are strong for continuing your run with a bum knee! Way to go!! You are going to rock the marathon!

18 Chelsea December 19, 2009 at 7:41 pm

I think it makes you a badass!

19 Danielle December 19, 2009 at 7:45 pm

Go you with your 20 mile run! You are totally going to ROCK the marathon next month!

Enjoy your holiday party with Derek!

20 Biz December 19, 2009 at 8:08 pm

Aw, sorry about your knee – at least it didn’t slow you down too much!

Have fun with Derek!

21 strawberrysuitcase December 19, 2009 at 9:26 pm

congrats on completing your mileage. that’s great that your sister got out too with her injury. you are pretty badass for running with a bloody knee, haha.

22 runningaroundnormal December 19, 2009 at 10:47 pm

Nice job on the run! And yikes – your knee looks tore up! I can’t believe you ran 20 miles with it like that – such a troopah!!
Have fun in Tampa ๐Ÿ™‚

23 Sammi December 19, 2009 at 10:53 pm

Congrats on your run! I was actually at that graduation this morning for my sister! I didn’t see any sweaty runners though ๐Ÿ˜‰ Hope your knee feels better!!

24 cookingincambridge December 20, 2009 at 12:48 am

Great job with the run! Your posts with Kelly make me miss my lil sis (and wish she enjoyed running) ๐Ÿ˜›

25 kandkfood December 20, 2009 at 11:20 am

Wow great job! Running with a knee like that makes you a BAD ASS!!! You are so lucky to have a running partner who will go on those LONG runs with you! Its usually just me and the ipod on mine. GOOD LUCK AT THE MARATHON!!!

26 hypki December 20, 2009 at 11:22 am

I have totally finished a long run after tripping and ripping my knee open too!! I felt like everyone must be staring at the body running down my leg but I was determined to not let it ruin my run. ๐Ÿ™‚ So good work!!!
Good luck on the marathon, I know you’ll do great!

27 pigdaysofsummer December 20, 2009 at 3:11 pm

go meggy!

28 lauren (athlEAT) December 21, 2009 at 10:34 am

great job on the 20 mile run…especially with a bloody knee!

29 Whit December 21, 2009 at 11:11 am

I’m late to the party, but yay for 20 miles!!! and yay for Kelly’s injury being okay. And yay for pancakes!

30 Reenie December 21, 2009 at 12:38 pm

I have scars on both knees from falling…..while jogging! haha…..when it happens (to me anyway) of course I jump up and look around like…..#$*%# did anyone see me!!! =)