more ยป" />

Lots and Lots of Chocolate!

by Meghann on December 16, 2009

Between cooking dinner and prepping my homemade treats, it has been an exhausting evening in my kitchen! And I feel like I still have so much left to do. No better time for a blogging break. ๐Ÿ™‚

I kicked off my ‘baking’ extravaganza with two recipes I found on MyRecipes.com for Peppermint-[Dark] Chocolate Slabs and White Chocolate – Peppermint Jumbles.

The original recipe for the chocolate slabs called for white chocolate, but I thought dark chocolate sounded more appealing. ๐Ÿ™‚

The recipe was quite simple.

You start with two bag of chocolate chips.

Microwave the chips for a minute, stir, and repeat again for 15 seconds until the chocolate is melted.

While the chocolate is melting get to work on crushing a couple dozen peppermint candies.

IMG_2730.JPGIMG_2749.JPG

Add the crushed peppermint and one teaspoon of peppermint extract to the melted chocolate.

IMG_2772.JPGIMG_2778.JPG

Spread the chocolate in a wax covered pan and refrigerate over night!

Can’t wait to try this tomorrow!

Next up were the White Chocolate – Peppermint Jumbles!

This required ALOT of chocolate!

The recipe actually called for slowly melting the chocolate on low in a crock put for an hour and a half. In the absence of actually own a crock pot I tried heating it slowly on the stove top instead.

1.5 hours later

Next: the mix-ins!

This recipe made dozen upon dozens of little jumbles that are now all over my kitchen.

They will set overnight and hopefully I can package them tomorrow. ๐Ÿ™‚

Wooo! That took some work!

Luckily I had a granola bar before I left work that kept me satisfied and prevented me from snacking.

Dinner was a no-brainer thanks to Angela’s recipe for Sweet Potato and Pear Soup I discovered the other day.

Only instead of sweet potatoes I used the butternut squash that has been on my counter for a while now.

All together

The soup gave me a chance to use my new immersion blender.

Vroom Vroom

I topped my serving with a spoonful of granola and a tablespoon of peanuts.

With a piece of pumpkin bread on the side.

The pear gave the soup a very interesting taste. It was very sweet, but very good. I think next time I would add a little curry to it or maybe some nutmeg for a little spice. ๐Ÿ™‚

Since none the fruits of my labor were ready for sampling after dinner, I had a view nibbles of the fruits of Melissa’s labor instead

Yum!

Now if you will excuse me I have some clean up to do in the kitchen.

Good Night!

1 Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) December 16, 2009 at 9:56 pm

White chocolate and peppermint are so delicious together! These look amazing!

2 Jenna December 16, 2009 at 10:04 pm

there are just sooo many yummy ways to make bark!
love yours though ๐Ÿ™‚
jenna

3 emmayeats December 16, 2009 at 10:14 pm

all of that looks delicious! i may have to make some of those chocolate recipes

4 inmytummy December 16, 2009 at 10:25 pm

Drool. I want those desserts.

5 greensandjeans December 16, 2009 at 10:32 pm

oh meghann those treats look great!

6 Sarah Jayne December 16, 2009 at 10:33 pm

Gahhhhhhh those white chocolate jumbles look FAB!!! Going to have to make some for sure!

7 weightwatchersforone December 16, 2009 at 10:53 pm

everything you made looks so good!! i can’t wait to see how they turn out tomorrow.

8 meyergirl December 16, 2009 at 10:54 pm

I’ve never been a white chocolate fan. Is it me or is it a lot sweeter than regular chocolate?

9 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) December 16, 2009 at 11:22 pm

I have never had peppermint bark before ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

10 Kristine December 16, 2009 at 11:31 pm

oh my gosh, that peppermint bark looks AMAZING! I have to try it! Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

11 Lisa (bakebikeblog) December 16, 2009 at 11:36 pm

oh my – your sweet treats look amazing ๐Ÿ™‚ I bet they taste awesome too!!!

12 Heather Eats Almond Butter December 16, 2009 at 11:44 pm

I heard today is National Chocolate Covered Anything Day. Looks like you celebrated a lot tonight.

Soup sounds like something I would love especially with the granola and peanuts as toppings. I love a good savory/sweet mix.

Night Meghann. ๐Ÿ™‚

13 Karla December 16, 2009 at 11:46 pm

Chocolate and Peppermint is a great combination! I made these (http://www.cakemixdoctor.com/recipes/what_kind/cupcakes/red_velvet_cupcakes_with_white.php) for a birthday/ugly sweater party last week and they were a hit (pics on blog!)!

You should try them! They’re seriously delicious and easy!

14 Emily December 17, 2009 at 12:00 am

Both of those chocolate treats look amazing! (which is saying something since I don’t like chocolate…)

But for future reference, the easiest way to melt chocolate (in my opinion) without burning it (but still using the stove) is to create a double boiler – put a couple inches of water into a pot and put the pot on the stove. Place the chocolate you want to melt into a metal or glass mixing bowl – something that won’t melt! Place the bowl on top of the pot (with a little bit of space so that hot air can escape) and turn on the stove. As the water heats up and boils, the hot air will slowly heat up the bowl with the chocolate, which will heat up the chocolate and melt it. It makes it easier to prevent burnt chocolate!

15 Ashley December 17, 2009 at 12:29 am

Those chocolate recipes look delicious — and easy. Now I’m craving chocolatey, minty things!

16 Lindsay December 17, 2009 at 12:32 am

That is an impressive amount of chocolate. I bet it will all be delicious ๐Ÿ™‚ That soup looks awesome too, and I really need to get myself an immersion blender..

17 Goldie December 17, 2009 at 4:51 am

*DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!*

18 Naomi(onefitfoodie) December 17, 2009 at 9:45 am

DEVINEEE thats all I have to say, those recipes look great and love the peppermint on there ๐Ÿ™‚

never would have thought of butternut squash and pear together in a soup! but it looks fantastic ๐Ÿ™‚

19 Erin December 17, 2009 at 10:14 am

That peppermint recipe looks amazing! I was so happy to walk in the door last night after being on vacation for a week and find fresh-baked choco chip cookies waiting for me. ๐Ÿ˜€

20 Kim C. December 17, 2009 at 10:22 am

dude next time just microwave the chocolate.. stir every 30 seconds or so.. will only take 2 or 3 minutes to get done!

21 wholesomefoodie December 17, 2009 at 11:22 am

Yay for blending. Your coworkers/family better enjoy all your hard work! Everything looks delicious.