8 Miles of Fog

by Meghann on December 15, 2009

I’m not going to sugar coat it; my run was brutal this morning.

Dense fog mixed with soreness from yesterday’s No More Trouble Zones DVD had me –this close– to backing out and heading to the treadmill for a light, short run.

But, my apartment gym doesn’t open until 6:00am on weekdays and there is that whole marathon looming over my head for next month. I stretched my legs, put a blinking light on, and crossed my fingers no one would hit me in the fog.

The fog was thick. I couldn’t see more than 5 feet in front of me and the humidity swallowed me in on all sides. I chugged along and conquered 8 miles without being killed. Goal achieved.

My prize for actually going out and running was a beautiful pumpkin breakfast cookie waiting for me inside.

IMG_2523

I prepped the cookie last night by combining:

• 1/2 cup Dried Rolled Oats
  • 2 spoonfuls Pumpkin
  • 1 spoonful Almond Butter
  • Raisins
  • Pumpkin Spice
  • Cinnamon

IMG_2525

And this morning I topped it with some plain oikos, 1/2 a pear, and a sprinkle of granola.

IMG_2528

Its hot and humid right now, so the cookie was a nice cool down after my sweaty run. 🙂

Its off to work I go! Have a great day everyone!

1 Brie (The Fit Bride) December 15, 2009 at 10:11 am

Way to push through! I had a most excellent breakfast cookie this morning, too.

2 greensandjeans December 15, 2009 at 10:13 am

Congrats on making it through a less than ideal run! Those are the days that just make me feel like “real” runner.

3 meyergirl December 15, 2009 at 10:23 am

I have yet to conquer the breakfast cookie. I tried it once, but it was mushy, not at all like a cookie.

4 runningd0wnadream December 15, 2009 at 10:35 am

that fog was brutal. i only did 2 miles and i feel like i got run over by a dump truck. maybe i did and i didn’t see it because of the fog?

5 Christy December 15, 2009 at 10:42 am

Runs like that stink…but ya just gotta do it, and it feel sooo good after that you just stuck with it, right?!

6 Laura Georgina December 15, 2009 at 10:47 am

You are a brave girl to run in that fog–I hope you rocked that headlight!

I love walking in fog, but I could never run in it back when I lived in England. I would take snow, rain, heat, and wind over fog for running any day–running in the fog really creeps me out.

Enjoy your morning!

7 biz319 December 15, 2009 at 11:04 am

I am glad you made it through your run! Fog is so scary!

I am contemplating signing up for a 1/2 marathon at the end of March – should I do it??!! 😀

8 Heather (Sugar & Spice Blog) December 15, 2009 at 11:06 am

Congrats on finishing your run. It can be really scary to run in the fog – glad you had a blinking light! The breakfast cookie looks great – awesome reward for your efforts this morning! 🙂

9 Shannon (The Daily Balance) December 15, 2009 at 11:11 am

you are such a rockstar! I would have been so tempted to back out!

10 Erica December 15, 2009 at 11:18 am

Nice job!! I think I would have hidden inside 🙂 Beautiful breakfast too. Hope your Tuesday goes well.

11 Matt December 15, 2009 at 11:20 am

My run was like that yesterday. I couldn’t see a thing!

12 Megan December 15, 2009 at 11:25 am

Ug!! nice job on the 8 miles. I def went back to sleep instead of running the 10 I was supposed to this morning. Guess Friday isn’t my off day anymore 😉

13 mel December 15, 2009 at 11:29 am

meghann, do you take rest days? i know you are training, but I didn’t know if you took a rest day each week! take care!!!

14 weightwatchersforone December 15, 2009 at 11:41 am

congrats on plugging through a run even in not so great conditions! on saturday i ran in 27 degree weather and was so proud of myself for not letting less than stellar weather get in the way of my goals!

15 skinnyrunner December 15, 2009 at 11:59 am

your breakfast looks delicious and i love the holiday plate!

16 lpskins December 15, 2009 at 12:00 pm

You are hard damn core. Props sister. I would have been way too nervous to manage in the fog. I thought I was a bad ass for doing five miles at the crack.

17 Anne Marie@ New Weigh of Life December 15, 2009 at 12:13 pm

Good for you for making it through the run!

18 Naomi (onefitfoodie) December 15, 2009 at 12:19 pm

ahh fog is the worst at least you have a blinky light on 🙂 that breakfast cookie is quite the reward to come back to!!

19 DiningAndDishing December 15, 2009 at 1:30 pm

Well congrats on getting through the run! I think I would have probably opted out :O)

– Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

20 Chrysta December 15, 2009 at 1:38 pm

way to go on your run! it is hard to get out there sometimes and just do it. So rock on girl!! Delish lookin breakfast!

21 Jenna December 15, 2009 at 2:00 pm

love your breaky cookie!

22 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) December 15, 2009 at 3:27 pm

fog freaks me out! Way to push through it!

Hope the soreness gets better!

23 Hethir December 15, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Way to do it anyways. That attitude is what makes the big difference in the long run.

24 'laina December 15, 2009 at 4:36 pm

Please be careful running in weather like that- drivers sight is severly impared and may not see you until it’s too late. We’ve recently had 2 runners (on 2 different days) struck and instantly killed because drivers didn’t see them due to overly foggy weather. Maybe try running on a school track, or somewhere off-road? Just concerned…