I’ll have the Hugh Jass instead please

by Meghann on December 14, 2009

I can tell already this is going to be a VERY long week! Friday where are you?!?!

I spent the morning catching up on e-mails and nibbling on these Nature Valley Granola Clusters I received from the people at BlogSpark the other month. (Review here)

IMG_2436

At noon my supervisor and I presented a lunch and learn for some co-workers, where we ordered pizza for all our attendees.

IMG_2437

I had asked my supervisor to order a veggie pizza that was light on the cheese in case I wanted a piece.

IMG_2440

However, when the pizza arrived I had no desire to eat anything. And would you believe the veggie pizza was one of the first ones gone?! No one even noticed it was β€˜light on the cheese’ until I said anything. πŸ˜‰

After our lunch and learn I headed home to let Maddie out and made my own lunch.

IMG_2442

I was REALLY craving fresh vegetables and made a hugh jass salad to subside that craving.

IMG_2445

• Spinach
  • Snap Peas
  • Mushrooms
  • Onion
  • Tomato
  • Banana Peppers
  • Green Olives
  • Swiss Cheese
  • Jalapeno Hummus
  • Drizzle of Balsamic Vinegar

IMG_2450

With a side of pumpkin cornbread for a healthy does of carbs. πŸ˜‰

IMG_2448

Perfect!

Sunrise 2 Sunset Relay…

Anyone interested in running a 10 person relay race across the beautiful state of Florida on March 26th?!?! If you’re interested let me know! And for more information on the relay http://www.sunset2sunriserelay.com/ check out the site!

1 [email protected] December 14, 2009 at 3:14 pm

Great salad, I would have skipped pizza for that baby!

2 Evan Thomas December 14, 2009 at 3:18 pm

I think veggie pizza is secretly everyone’s favorite; who can resist all that fresh goodness?

3 janetha b December 14, 2009 at 3:18 pm

oh i hope you do that relay. it would be fun to see πŸ™‚ hope you have a great week meghann!

4 Marissa & Mackenzie December 14, 2009 at 3:19 pm

I’d totally run it with you! πŸ™‚

I’m not sure if I’ve actually delurked here, but I’ve been a long time reader (since the beginning, methinks?!) and I also live in the Orlaando area but go to New College of Florida in Sarasota for school, also know as “The Poor man’s Reed College”, it’s one of those hippy-dippy schools for sure πŸ™‚

5 rungirlrunn December 14, 2009 at 3:32 pm

What a cool race!!

6 molly December 14, 2009 at 3:35 pm

I hear ya on wanting the week to be over. Oh girl you have no idea.
That race sounds awesome and I have been looking for races! hmmm I may be interested (as long as my school I teach for is on spring break then πŸ™‚ )
Have a good Monday!

7 Jenna December 14, 2009 at 3:36 pm

omg! that race sounds so cool-i really hope you can get some people to do it with you!!
jenna

8 megan December 14, 2009 at 3:45 pm

I’d do it if I lived in Florida! πŸ™‚

I don’t know if I’ve ever turned down pizza before. hehe especially not for a salad πŸ™‚

9 Erin December 14, 2009 at 3:46 pm

Ive ran in two relays running from Cannon Mtn in NH to Hampton Beach, NH (“Reach the Beach”) GREATEST time ever! You will have a blast!!

10 karla December 14, 2009 at 3:47 pm

awesome salad and relay!

11 anon December 14, 2009 at 3:50 pm

The day i’d “rather” eat salad instead of pizza is the day I die!!! Do you feel deprived at all? A slice of pizza never killed anyone πŸ™‚

12 Britt - Runnerbelle December 14, 2009 at 3:55 pm

LOVE relays! Actually my relay team looked at that one, as one of our team members has moved to the Orlando area…. I don’t think our planning skills are all that great though… Its a struggle just to do the one where most of us live in NH (Reach the Beach). They take a lot of planning, but are SO worth it!

13 Whitney @ Lettuce Love December 14, 2009 at 4:06 pm

Wow that sounds like a cool race! And this week needs to end asap. I have a feeling it is going to drag

14 weightwatchersforone December 14, 2009 at 4:18 pm

veggie pizza is always the last to go where i work which is bad for me because then i want more than one piece!

15 Matt December 14, 2009 at 4:22 pm

I really wish I could do that relay. It sounds AWESOME!

16 erinstartsliving December 14, 2009 at 4:24 pm

veggie pizza is my fav. i should probably turn it down more often!

17 Samantha December 14, 2009 at 4:42 pm

I think that was pretty rude/selfish of you to ask for a veggie pizza just for you and then don’t even have a slice or take one home!

honestly if I was a co-worker of yours I would think you were pretty stuck up

like someone else said, one slice of pizza (ESPECIALLY veggie w/ light cheese) isn’t going to hurt you, at all

18 Lyss December 14, 2009 at 4:57 pm

thats the dumbest thing i’ve ever heard. she just said it went first, so obviously people enjoyed it.

19 Meghann December 14, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Thank you Lyss!

If there were any left overs I would have happily taken a piece home, but it was gone before I had a chance. πŸ™‚

Also, if you read my blog you would see I enjoy pizza on a regular basis. In fact its one of my favorite meals! I just wan’t feeling it today. What I really, really wanted was a big salad. πŸ™‚

20 anon December 14, 2009 at 5:37 pm

I think the point is that her co-workers were nice enough to ask her what she wanted, and then she didn’t even eat it!! It appears like it is a fear food!! And Meghann is training for a marathon and can enjoy a piece of 3 of pizza every once in awhile.

I am a follower of your blog, and never really see you eat pizza unless it’s homemade!!

21 foodcents December 14, 2009 at 8:38 pm

I think there have been more than a few visits to the Mellow Mushroom, to name just a few, so that negates your point regarding Meghann only eating pizza at home.

Meghann, I love pizza, but given the choice between a national chain pizza and a homemade salad, I am right there with you.

22 tracy December 14, 2009 at 7:42 pm

Wow!! Some people have too much time on their hands!! There was nothing wrong with you making a request for ONE pizza out of the many that were ordered. Geeez…lighten up, people!!

23 Tim bits December 14, 2009 at 4:48 pm

hey meghann

veggie pizza is suprizingly delightful. i ended up dating a gal who went on a strict veggie diet shortly after we started dating. one night i ordered a veggie pizza and tried a slice and was immediately hooked. it is now my favorite kind of pizza. filled with so much more flavor then my typical all meat pizza. (and i feel better after eating it too). your salad looks tempting too. im gonna have to try making it one day. YUMMY!!!

24 luckytastebuds December 14, 2009 at 4:59 pm

teeheee…i can’t believe that nobody noticed that the veggie pizza was light on the cheese AND that it was gone FIRST! It might seem odd to request a pie, but if it’s something that’ll benefit other people, go ahead and do it! Good for your for helping you co-workers eat healthier Meghann! I would totally love you secretly for requesting that pie if I worked with you. πŸ™‚ But I might also invite myself home with you so i can have some of your delicious looking pumpkin cornbread too! hahahah i’m not a creep, i promise!

25 Allison December 14, 2009 at 5:00 pm

That pizza does look pretty good (it doesn’t look that light on the cheese though) but I never eat pizza for lunch. To me it always feels like a dinner food. That relay sounds really cool- I hope you find enough people to do it with you!

26 inmytummy December 14, 2009 at 5:08 pm

People always complain about the veggie pizza and then eat it first!

27 Lisa (bakebikeblog) December 14, 2009 at 5:11 pm

oooh I think your salad looks awesome – jalapeno hummus.. I am intigued πŸ™‚

28 Jerilynne December 14, 2009 at 5:21 pm

I can totally understand — I love pizza, like I know you do Meghann, but sometimes you just don’t feel like eating it! Such is true of anything.. there are some days I don’t feel like eating salad so I eat the pizza. It’s all about the balance =).

29 Chelsea December 14, 2009 at 5:49 pm

Your salad looks yummy! Fear of food? hmmmm…

30 Olivia December 14, 2009 at 5:50 pm

Kudos for listening to your body and eating what it was craving rather than what was sitting in front of you! (No matter how good it looked)! When I tell someone I’m craving fresh veggies/big salad, they usually look at me like I’m a nut job. Oh well, they’re loss (& more veggies for us!)

And I completely agree, as much as I love pizza, there are times I am just not in the mood (although rare!) Too bad there wasn’t any left to take a slice home….but there is obviously more pizza out there!

31 Olivia December 14, 2009 at 5:51 pm

This is going to irk me, I realize it’s “their” loss not “they’re,” I’ve been awake for the last 18 hours studying for exams, hence the brain fart!

32 Adrienne December 14, 2009 at 5:55 pm

That salad looks amazing! I love to have a huge bowl of salad too, sometimes you just crave crunchy veggies. I think anyone who complains about you passing up a piece of pizza for some salad is just projecting their own food issues on you. Of course I probably would have eaten a little of both.. that pizza looked pretty delish too.

33 Karla December 14, 2009 at 6:12 pm

Veggie is always the first one to go! There’s always pepperoni left over! Gross!

That sounds like an awesome relay! Sadly I’m far away (and very very slow so I probably would be no good haha)

34 BethT December 14, 2009 at 6:25 pm

I always find it interesting when food bloggers make (GASP!!) healthy choices and people comment that they have a problem with food. I think it’s the rest of America that has a problem with food.

35 anon December 14, 2009 at 7:18 pm

i’m all for healthy choices and I make them often myself. BUT if I was training for a marathon, I wouldn’t DEPRIVE myself a slice of veggie pizza light on cheese!!!

36 Meghann December 14, 2009 at 7:23 pm

Who said I was depriving myself? I wasn’t! I would have been depriving myself if I had the pizza and not the salad because the salad was what I really wanted.

37 anon December 14, 2009 at 7:33 pm

Okay. I understand that you were craving the salad. I hope I didn’t come across as mean and I hope you didn’t take too much offense. I really do love your blog.

I just worry about you sometimes because you don’t seem to eat enough calories to make up for all the running you do!!! And you look awfully thin lately. I just want you to be careful and aware of these things!!

38 Meghann December 14, 2009 at 9:43 pm

Thank you anon I appreciate that. πŸ™‚ I promise I do eat more than goes on the blog. I am notorious for snacking while cooking and prepping my meals.

39 Jo December 14, 2009 at 6:27 pm

Wow, how did you pass up pizzza?!

40 RunToTheFinish December 14, 2009 at 6:41 pm

OHHH I hope we can get a team together, how fun!!

41 Caz December 14, 2009 at 8:27 pm

I’m totally with you on the ‘craving salad’ thing. The boy thinks I’m insane, but at least a few times a week I crave a MASSIVE salad. I try to eat them mostly at lunch (so the boy doesn’t complain about having salad for dinner every night of the week πŸ™‚ but if I miss out, there will definitely be a few weekend appearances. Yes, even over pizza or some other speciality.

42 goodtastehealthyme December 14, 2009 at 8:27 pm

wow that veggie pizza looks incredible!

43 Jordan December 14, 2009 at 8:44 pm

I saw Twitter earlier about the pizza debate. Hehe. Both look great, and from a young age I have ‘craved’ salads over other foods at times. Even when I was in great shape playing soccer and could barely fill out a pair of size 0 pants. Not all salads are about ‘diets’. Most people slather so much crap on them anyways that they aren’t healthy.

44 Vanessa (Last Night's Leftovers) December 14, 2009 at 9:04 pm

That salad looks divine! That + cornbread? I would have chosen it over big-chain pizza any day.

45 allisonisactive December 14, 2009 at 9:06 pm

Okay, on the relay topic – if I don’t end up in the Keys 100, I could be interested in S2S!

I am slow, though – we are talking 12:00 miles.

Have you given any thought to the Keys 100? I hear it’s fantastic. I have a group from Running of the Ears that I may run with, but if they don’t do it, I might put together my own group.

46 Naomi(onefitfoodie) December 14, 2009 at 9:11 pm

looks delish! I have never had papa Johns, we only have papa ginos near me! πŸ™‚ your salad looks phenom as well, I love that big glob of hummus on top!

47 Mary December 14, 2009 at 9:13 pm

Anon, I do understand where you’re coming from. Meghann, love your blog, but I happen to agree that if you are going to make a special request, the polite thing to do would have been to take part in it. It’s hard to read to somebody’s tone when a message is typed – there’s no need to assume that a reader is attacking your or your lifestyle. I understand it is your blog, and you’re free to write and post whatever you want – but I feel like Anon was unfairly attacked here …

48 anon December 14, 2009 at 10:46 pm

Thank you! I didn’t mean harm πŸ™‚ Just looking out for her!

49 Amanda @ Cakes and Ale December 14, 2009 at 11:01 pm

Except that “anon” is anonymous… I say, if you’re going to say something to someone, critical or not, don’t hide behind this “anon” nonsense. If you have something to say, at least say it yourself… commenting as anonymous is totally wimpy – sorry!

50 Madison December 14, 2009 at 9:15 pm

Thank you Anon, Samantha, and Mary! Totally read my mind!

At least Meghann doesn’t go on and on and on about how much she loves her boyfriend (unlike some bloggers … or exblogger in particular …)

51 SN December 14, 2009 at 10:43 pm

WTF? If you don’t like someone’s blog about her daily life, then don’t read it!

52 Mama Pea December 14, 2009 at 9:17 pm

You might as well have just spit on everyone else’s pizza. The nerve of ordering a veggie pizza and then not eating it! I hope you are happy with your Hugh Jass self. πŸ˜‰

53 Natalie December 14, 2009 at 9:33 pm

Ok …

Heaven forbid Meghann not eat the food she requested …

Heaven forbid people who thought this was rude to express their opinion!

Can’t people post their opinions and comments without being being attacked by other readers and bloggers? It makes me not want to read blogs anymore! I hate how everyone is ganging up on people!

54 jenna December 14, 2009 at 9:52 pm

meghann has a HUGH JASS!!!!!!

muhahahaha

55 Lauren December 14, 2009 at 10:11 pm

go Meghann for eating that salad! I totally understand the pizza deal. Sometimes I just want nothing more than a giant plate of good ole veggies! totally not a big deal AT ALL. And I probably would have passed on the pizza too, I’d rather have sweets than pizza any day!

56 Alison December 14, 2009 at 10:21 pm

I agree that it’s not cool to make a special request and then not eat any of it…kind of seems like expecting to be catered to, “please order one entire pizza exactly the way I want JUST IN THE OFF CHANCE I might want a slice.” However, they did ask AND oblige so it probably wasn’t a big deal like everyone is making it.

57 Amanda @ Cakes and Ale December 14, 2009 at 10:40 pm

Hey everybody, guess what? It’s just pizza! Get over it!

Meghann, don’t worry about the naysayers. Some people are just uppity. You should eat what you want when you want and no one has any right to judge you for that. I’m sure if they really thought about it, they wouldn’t want to be judged either.

58 SN December 14, 2009 at 10:42 pm

omg people need to calm down. seriously, reading some of these comments.. i could never be a blogger! people criticizing my weight, whether i should be eating more or less, dissecting what i chose to eat for lunch…i dont know how you do it meghann!

59 Jesse December 14, 2009 at 11:13 pm

If Hugh Jass were a real person, what do you think he would look like? Definitely tall, in shape, handsome. I think he might have dark hair… be a little messy at times… I bet he would be hot…

60 Julie @savvyeats December 15, 2009 at 4:22 pm

LOL, love it!

61 Lisa December 15, 2009 at 2:55 am

I agree – sometimes I crave pizza, but sometimes (more often) I crave salad b/c it fills me up and gives me energy without making me feel too full (a feeling often associated with doughy pizza). I had a blog for a minute but stopped b/c I was limited on time, but if I still did, I could care less what other people say about how I eat or what’s “polite.” People who criticize food blog writers probably have a bit too much time on their hands. Totally their issues, not yours!

Jealous of your FL weather! I’m in CA, but its still a lot colder out here!

62 Neely December 15, 2009 at 8:48 am

Putting any viewpoint about this post aside… I will never understand when people who comment say that someone criticizing a blogger has “too much time on their hands.” Um, hello?! We are all reading the blogs and commenting.

A post expressing a differing opinion takes no more “time” than a “Oh my golly goodness gracious look at that beautiful salad!”

63 Rosey Rebecca December 15, 2009 at 11:48 am

That pizza made me want pizza yesterday. SO I asked my boyfriend if we could go to Pizza Uno for dinner and guess what:? I ended up ordering a salad! Oh man, I’m so stuck up and now my boyfriend hates me. πŸ˜‰

64 kristin December 15, 2009 at 12:35 pm

the comments here are so ridiculous! some people are hugh jass-holes. HA. I laughed out loud at that joke.

good god you asked for a healthier pizza and people loved it. i think you might have been helping your coworkers by not eating it – and letting them see how good a healthier version can be!

that said, we totally ordered pizza at work today πŸ™‚